Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolution Bar and Babies.

• 23-03-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I was in Revolution a few weeks back, wanting to get some food. The baby was due a feed around the same time so i thought i will eat then by the time im finished, the baby would be due.

Now i never ever go in a bar or restaurant at lunch time or when the place looks busy, id be afraid that if they were kids or due to the place being busy somebody could knock the hot water for the bottle, and injure the baby or themselves. That and its awkward with the pram as many of ye will know.

I looked in, there was two girls eating at one table, and two people at the bar. Perfect, i'll sit off in the corner on my own. Ordered my drink and the hot water for the baby bottle before sitting down with the menu. Bar man was very polite. Went to the kitchen i assumed to get a jug to put the water in and i could see the chef talking to him.

What ever the chef said to him, He walks to my table, "Im sorry for insurance reasons i cant hand out hot water".
    That is completly fine if the place was jammers and there was a chance of an accident occuring but seriously what is the difference between handing out hot water for the bottle and a pot of tea? The place was practically empty.

I left and went up to Geoffs and the gave me a little jug for the bottle then my lunch out afterwards.

This has never haapened to me in Geoffs, The Kazbar, The Bagel Factory, T.H's, The Cove, and we've been on days out to Cork and Kilkenny and everybody has been more than obliging.

I will certainly not be returning there again, even if i dont have Junior with me. Its been the only time it has ever happened to me.

Has anybody else had an experiece like this?

Is there any barmen on here that can explain what the issue would be handing out hot water to a place thats practically empty, when i had bought drinks and was about to order my lunch too...

Nowhere else seems to have a problem with feeding the baby and getting a little grub for yourself at the same time...

I dont know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Princessa wrote: »
    I was in Revolution a few weeks back, wanting to get some food. The baby was due a feed around the same time so i thought i will eat then by the time im finished, the baby would be due.

Now i never ever go in a bar or restaurant at lunch time or when the place looks busy, id be afraid that if they were kids or due to the place being busy somebody could knock the hot water for the bottle, and injure the baby or themselves. That and its awkward with the pram as many of ye will know.

I looked in, there was two girls eating at one table, and two people at the bar. Perfect, i'll sit off in the corner on my own. Ordered my drink and the hot water for the baby bottle before sitting down with the menu. Bar man was very polite. Went to the kitchen i assumed to get a jug to put the water in and i could see the chef talking to him.

What ever the chef said to him, He walks to my table, "Im sorry for insurance reasons i cant hand out hot water".
    That is completly fine if the place was jammers and there was a chance of an accident occuring but seriously what is the difference between handing out hot water for the bottle and a pot of tea? The place was practically empty.

I left and went up to Geoffs and the gave me a little jug for the bottle then my lunch out afterwards.

This has never haapened to me in Geoffs, The Kazbar, The Bagel Factory, T.H's, The Cove, and we've been on days out to Cork and Kilkenny and everybody has been more than obliging.

I will certainly not be returning there again, even if i dont have Junior with me. Its been the only time it has ever happened to me.

Has anybody else had an experiece like this?

Is there any barmen on here that can explain what the issue would be handing out hot water to a place thats practically empty, when i had bought drinks and was about to order my lunch too...

Nowhere else seems to have a problem with feeding the baby and getting a little grub for yourself at the same time...

I dont know.

id assume that the chef was in fact Flash,the owner.he often puts a shift in.prob just covering his own back.people sue over anything these days really.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

anplaya wrote: »
    id assume that the chef was in fact Flash,the owner.he often puts a shift in.prob just covering his own back.people sue over anything these days really.

Hi anplaya,
    No, it wasnt Flash himself, it was a female chef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Hi anplaya,
    No, it wasnt Flash himself, it was a female chef.

wouldnt really know myself,i assumed it was him.think one or two members of boards work there,maybe theyll post later ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gaulsmillls

Hi, my little fella is 3 now in a few weeks and back in the day when we were out and about with him as a baby, that happened to us in several places. BurgerKing is the one in town that stands out as yer woman was quite rude about it, every where else just explained that for insurance reasons they were not allowed to hand out boiling water but could take the bottle from me and heat it! Also we went away that year and eneded up in one airport for 2 hrs and not one of these establishments would heat the bottle for us!! So if its any consolation its not just you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Very strange.

Of course hot water can be dangerous, especially near children, but you are the mother and obviously know how to pour water!

I really can't see how hot water is more dangerous than tea, as if you asked for tea they would have given it to you.

I don't particularly like Flash (though I think revolution has better food than most pubs).

• Advertisement

Im planning on travelling with her in a few weeks do they really not heat the bottle in any of the establishments in the airport? Oh no thats awful!

Its the first time it has happened to me so i was very much taken a back by it. It seemed to be fine until he spoke to the chef on duty....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Thats very strange, because my parents both like their tea really weak... so everytime i bring them for a meal or lunch or whatever, I always end up asking for a pot of boiling water... and I never had a problem

it was just in one airport princessa that we had that problem, cant rightly remember which one though!! you might be best off to get yourself one of those warmers though just in case!!

just wondering here now is it the fact that you would be opening the pot and putting the bottle into it, would they see that as being more likely to have an accident ...whereas your pot of tea you'd just be pouring???? silly really but only thing i could see there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

This is happening more and more in establishments and insurance is the usual reason given behind it and tbh I don't blame places for this as there are a lot of people that would sue for anything.

Would your baby take bottle at room temperature like they do in hospital? It might be more convenient to bring warm water already in the bottle in an insulated bottle bag and just add formula powder when it's needed. The latest recommendations when it comes to formula is to only make up the bottle when it's needed anyway.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    It might be more convenient to bring warm water already in the bottle in an insulated bottle bag and just add formula powder when it's needed. The latest recommendations when it comes to formula is to only make up the bottle when it's needed anyway.

Its not very practical to bring formula with you, scoop it out, level it off with a knife then add it to your water in your insulated bag.
    No she likes her bottle warm, no hope of a room temperature one being acceptable. :D

I just dont see the drifference if they can hand out tea which is hot water with a teabag in it, why they cant hand out just hot water makes no sense to me.

Its not very practical to bring formula with you, scoop it out, level it off with a knife then add it to your water in your insulated bag.
    No she likes her bottle warm, no hope of a room temperature one being acceptable. :D

I just dont see the drifference if they can hand out tea which is hot water with a teabag in it, why they cant hand out just hot water makes no sense to me.

You don't need to bring the big tub of formula powder, scoop or knife with you, you can measure out how much formula you need and put it in a small tub or one of the special containers that have 3 compartments specially for formula powder or even a small food bag and then just add it to the pre-measured warm water that's been kept warm in the insulated bag. Very straight forward and convenient and meeting the new formula guidelines.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tbh insurance is a perfectly valid reason for not giving you boiling water in the manner in which you wanted,

Have a read of this thread in the parenting forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055817406

Lots of views on the subject including one's from people that work in the industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

having had many years exp. in the catering business, i can tell you...
    its a no-no... and just askign for trouble...
    most restaurants will not hand out hot water like that... cause if it spills,
    a your baby could be splashed and burnt..
    and then you will sue the restautant and win... even if you knocked over the water..

unfortuantely this is life...

whats best to do in these circumstances, is to ask the chef/ or whoever, to take your bottle and heat it in hot water in the kitchen area and to bring the bottle back out when warm.
    Most palces will do this for you.

So what i should do is ask for a pot of tea then stick the bottle in the boiling pot of tea beacuse that wont contravene insurance policies???

Thanks Deisemum for your input also, but she drinks her bottle slowly and once it cools when shes drinking it or when we stop to bump her she wont drink it again until its warm. Fussy eater like me :D. So we need water there to pop the bottle in when shes being burped or taking a little break.

So what i should do is ask for a pot of tea then stick the bottle in the boiling pot of tea beacuse that wont contravene insurance policies???

Thanks Deisemum for your input also, but she drinks her bottle slowly and once it cools when shes drinking it or when we stop to bump her she wont drink it again until its warm. Fussy eater like me :D. So we need water there to pop the bottle in when shes being burped or taking a little break.

2 small 4oz or 5oz bottles would solve that for you :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

I've worked in a few cafes over the last 16 years and still do, and never once have i had to refused to give boiling water to a customer, It's common sense that it's the parents responsibility to ensure their child doesn't get burnt!
    Yes there are a few idiots out there who would sue if it happened to their child, but why should all parents be refused because of them.
    I have three kids myself so i know from experience it's no fun been told you can't heat up the bottle and releasing you have to go elsewhere to feed your baby resulting in one very hungry and very narky baby:(
    But like the op said, if i was refused anywhere i wouldn't be returning, so in opinion cafes and pubs are not doing themselves any favours by turning away customers on the off chance a baby will get burnt and the parent will sue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

2SWEET wrote: »
    I've worked in a few cafes over the last 16 years and still do, and never once have i had to refused to give boiling water to a customer, It's common sense that it's the parents responsibility to ensure their child doesn't get burnt!
    Yes there are a few idiots out there who would sue if it happened to their child, but why should all parents be refused because of them.
    I have three kids myself so i know from experience it's no fun been told you can't heat up the bottle and releasing you have to go elsewhere to feed your baby resulting in one very hungry and very narky baby:(
    But like the op said, if i was refused anywhere i wouldn't be returning, so in opinion cafes and pubs are not doing themselves any favours by turning away customers on the off chance a baby will get burnt and the parent will sue!

It only takes one idiot to put you out of business.

Now there's a thought, only you could try asking for a pot of tea with the bag on the side, put the bag in your cup top it up with water and you have enough left in the pot to stand the bottle it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

2SWEET wrote: »

Now there's a thought, only you could try asking for a pot of tea with the bag on the side, put the bag in your cup top it up with water and you have enough left in the pot to stand the bottle it!

Yeah this is the only thing I can't understand. How can it be an insurance risk to hand out boiling water but not tea, which is just boiling water. I can't see how there's any distinction between the two from an insurance point of view. Maybe Flash himself would be able to clarify for us? I haven't seen him on here for a while but he used to be on fairly regularly.

Maybe the mods could change the title to have the word Revolution in it, he'd be sure to check it out then.

• Advertisement

It only takes one idiot to put you out of business.

Fair point but no one would bother opening a business if they were to worry about an idiot suing them, there's any number of other reasons a customer could sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magpie30

havu you seen liffyvally in dublin, microwaves in a row fore bottle warming at your own risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

hi Princessa, I'm Flash, and would like to apologise for any inconvience or embarassment caused. im afraid its a house policy, from past experience.

while working a 10 year stint in Loughmans - we were sued for a lot of money for giving a hot water container to a mother to heat her babys bottle - the baby pulled it over him and caused severe burning- and perminent scars-

when we opened Revolution- we think we put in place child friendly policies, kids menus, baby bowls, plastic spoons, lollipops -
    families & food are a big part of our business.

we offer to heat bottles in the kitchen, heat baby food etc -

im sorry again -but insurance wise - hot water to a table is "very high risk"

next time - if you choose to call in -please let me put a face to the name so i can apologise in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

foxylad2 wrote: »
    hi Princessa, I'm Flash, and would like to apologise for any inconvience or embarassment caused. im afraid its a house policy, from past experience.

while working a 10 year stint in Loughmans - we were sued for a lot of money for giving a hot water container to a mother to heat her babys bottle - the baby pulled it over him and caused severe burning- and perminent scars-

when we opened Revolution- we think we put in place child friendly policies, kids menus, baby bowls, plastic spoons, lollipops -
    families & food are a big part of our business.

we offer to heat bottles in the kitchen, heat baby food etc -

im sorry again -but insurance wise - hot water to a table is "very high risk"

next time - if you choose to call in -please let me put a face to the name so i can apologise in person.

Sounds like a fair response. I'm sure there would have been no problem if the fact that you heat them in the kitchen was communicated to the customer. Maybe it's something you need to just go back over with the satff to ensure they know your position on it.

Thats a fair enough response but it wasnt communicated to me at all that the bottle could be heated in the kitchen.

I cant believe a mother sued you beacuse in the nicest way possible she was stupid enough to leave boiling water at arms length to an inquisitive baby. The blame lays solely with her...

I just found it odd that (no offence to anybody, just using a sterotypical situation) that an 18 year old collage student, dying of a hangover comes in to get a cup of coffee spill it all over himself.... sues. Compared to handing out water to a mother who lets face it have special ninja qualities most of us at the sense of danger, we are so cautious with the hot water around our babies, you become a dab hand at it, when you are warming bottles 8 times in 24 hours. Just one of those odd things i guess.

Anywho i appreciate the apology, maybe just run it by your staff to say to future customers that ye can heat the bottle in the kitchen area for safety and insurance policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thats a fair enough response but it wasnt communicated to me at all that the bottle could be heated in the kitchen.

I cant believe a mother sued you beacuse in the nicest way possible she was stupid enough to leave boiling water at arms length to an inquisitive baby. The blame lays solely with her...

I just found it odd that (no offence to anybody, just using a sterotypical situation) that an 18 year old collage student, dying of a hangover comes in to get a cup of coffee spill it all over himself.... sues. Compared to handing out water to a mother who lets face it have special ninja qualities most of us at the sense of danger, we are so cautious with the hot water around our babies, you become a dab hand at it, when you are warming bottles 8 times in 24 hours. Just one of those odd things i guess.

Anywho i appreciate the apology, maybe just run it by your staff to say to future customers that ye can heat the bottle in the kitchen area for safety and insurance policies.
    No self-respecting 18 year old student would order a coffee when hungover. A quick rummage around the pockets to find that €4 and a pint would be ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

AdMMM wrote: »
    No self-respecting 18 year old student would order a coffee when hungover. A quick rummage around the pockets to find that €4 and a pint would be ordered.

Students today aren't what they used to be. They'd probably sneak in a thermos under their jacket. :mad:

Advertisement