Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Dark Lager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

shivs wrote: »
    Black Harp????

My thoughts exactly!

Des wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a Schwarzbier, if it is, I hope it comes down here, because they are really delicious.

Yea but Digieo don't brew any decent lagers to start with and its aimed at a young audience, two combination that generally don't end with with something the level of a good Schwarzbier

an if like Schwarzbier get your self some Köstritzer mmh!, when it turns uo in Dublin:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can't really blame the marketing men for wanting to take advantage of the Guinness brand but I think it'll just cause confusion. Your average beer drinker in Ireland (a couple of years ago I would've been included in that list also) wouldn't be au fait with the differences between all the different styles of beers and as such will just think that this is some weird Guinness/Lager combo like a Black and Blonde :D

Maybe they should've decided to release a range of Guinness branded styles first before they started with the rather confusing Black Lager.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Can't really blame the marketing men for wanting to take advantage of the Guinness brand but I think it'll just cause confusion. Y.

Yea but they have tried and failed so main times to launch a beer under the Guinness brand

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

oblivious wrote: »
    Yea but they have tried and failed so main times to launch a beer under the Guinness brand
    Which is even more reason why they shouldn't confuse the issue with this particular release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Reckon its gonna be a big failure...Guinness in peoples mind is Stout. Lager drinkers generally wouldnt drink stout. So straight away i'd say it'd put those people off especially considering its a dark lager....I think it should be done like harp or smithwicks, and give it its own identity

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Which is even more reason why they shouldn't confuse the issue with this particular release.

But Diageo are a brands company not brewers, Guniness's name is well know so why not attach a new product to an current brand. **** to the wall mentality

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Have they announced when this will actually be on the shelves? Or is it there already? Will be in Derry this weekend so must have a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Reckon its gonna be a big failure...Guinness in peoples mind is Stout. Lager drinkers generally wouldnt drink stout. So straight away i'd say it'd put those people off especially considering its a dark lager....I think it should be done like harp or smithwicks, and give it its own identity
    This is exactly my thinking. Attaching the 'Guinness' name to it will do nothing for sales and only leads to confusion - you'd be surprised how stupid some people are. Can't see it being a success myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I tasted this about 18 months ago at a market research thing, it may have changed since then though. It was quite fizzy and no head, when it was poured into a glass it looked like coke.

The group I was in was for those who don't like guinness, but I love guinness, just wanted the €50. I was biting my tongue listening to the rest of the group saying why they don't drink guinness, "Girls don't like men who drink guinness" "Guinness is an old farmers drink" "Budweiser is way cooler" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The group I was in was for those who don't like guinness, but I love guinness, just wanted the €50.
    You skewed Diageo's market research! :eek: Your irresponsible actions could cost shareholders upwards of 23p. Each! Phone the Financial Services Authority confession line immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I tasted this about 18 months ago at a market research thing, it may have changed since then though. It was quite fizzy and no head, when it was poured into a glass it looked like coke.

The group I was in was for those who don't like guinness, but I love guinness, just wanted the €50. I was biting my tongue listening to the rest of the group saying why they don't drink guinness, "Girls don't like men who drink guinness" "Guinness is an old farmers drink" "Budweiser is way cooler" :rolleyes:

How can I get to taste booze for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

That's almost exactly how the bloke on newstalk this morning described it. He didn't seem impressed and it sounded like he was normally a macro lager drinker.

That's almost exactly how the bloke on newstalk this morning described it. He didn't seem impressed and it sounded like he was normally a macro lager drinker.

Dark Harp:p

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Reckon its gonna be a big failure...Guinness in peoples mind is Stout.

Exactly, people use Guinness to describe any stout the same way people use Philedelphia to describe any cream cheese.

I've had people come into me and ask if I sell Murphy's Guinness and Beamish Guinness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I did one of those for the redesign of Smithwicks brand. Never got to drink any Smithwicks tho and I quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

"Budweiser is way cooler" :rolleyes:

Yeah, so no-one can taste the bloody thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I just tried a couple there. They were ok, doesn't taste remotely like dark budvar or any other dark beer ive tasted for that matter, but more fizzy, and there was certainly more of a stout aftertaste if that makes any sense....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

IRLConor wrote: »
    I haven't seen any description of what this actually is and a quick skim over their website shows nothing. "Dark Lager" could be pretty much anything TBH. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? A German-style Dunkel/Schwarzbier maybe?

If it turns out to be decent, I hope it doesn't go the way of Breo.

Breo! now there's a blast from the past

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Breo! now there's a blast from the past

I was working in a pub when Breo came out.
    'mystery shoppers' would come into the pub and order a glass of it and if you served it in a Breo glass and had any vague idea of what it was, they'd give you a voucher for a CD (remember them?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I got some yesterday in Sainsburys up north. Not tried it yet though. I hope it doesn't have similar effects to Bulmer's Pear when that was first launched!

109786.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Any first hand reports on the thing?

Heres an article from the indo on peoples opinions on it in the north.
    Guinness Black Lager verdict: Cut the price
    By Colm Heatley
    Monday April 26 2010

Jim Teeney has some advice for Diageo Plc, as he sips Guinness Black Lager: cut the price.

The beer is on trial at 400 bars in the North. The lager, which shares the iconic stout’s name and color, may be rolled out across Europe if the trial is a success.
    It sells for £3 (€3.45) per bottle, about two-thirds more expensive than a standard pint of lager.

“I like it,” said Teeney, a 42-year-old postal worker, in the Duke of York bar in Belfast. “But I won’t be switching to it. I can get a pint of lager for nearly half the price.”
    <snip>

Drinkers at the Duke of York pub in the Belfast’s Cathedral Quarter have mostly reacted positively to the new beverage, said bar manager Danny Cushenhan.
    “This is quite a clever product,” he said. “It has the Guinness tag, but it’s appealing to the crowd who like lager.”

The drink, aimed at men aged between 25 and 35, is sold in 330 milliliter bottles. A pint of lager - which is 568 milliliters - sells for about £3.20 (€3.69) in the city.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/guinness-black-lager-verdict-cut-the-price-2152897.html

doomed to fail i fear with that price....silly idea...breo was before my time, what was that like can anyone tell me??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

doomed to fail i fear with that price....silly idea...breo was before my time, what was that like can anyone tell me??

The stuff of dreams...a smooth white beer that went down easy.
    Unfortunately it never caught on, no idea why?

Would love to have tried it! Maybe the country wasnt ready for wheat beers!!??

Any first hand reports on the thing?
    It's very dull. It has a similar sort of sourness to bottled Guinness but with none of the roasted coffee flavours you get from good black lager.
    what was that like can anyone tell me??
    Quite soapy. There are much better wheat beers freely available today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The prices arent that bad for a long neck if they had the same prices in the south. Fuppin Corona muck is 6euro+ in some places in Dublin, and thats before they hike the prices up because its late in the evening.

Still (sorry for the tangent). Was in the old oak in Cork and their Weissbiers were 4.50 for the half litre so maybe thats a sign of some cop on coming into the irish pub scene with regard to bottled beers not requiring a remortgage on your house to afford them.
    Anyhow, if customers are becoming more price sensitive, then Guinness could do worse than realise this.

The prices arent that bad for a long neck if they had the same prices in the south.
    They won't. It's a different market environment altogether. I bought some fancy-pants imported bottled lager in a Belfast pub on Friday and it was £3.20. It would be the far side of a fiver at home, guaranteed.
    maybe thats a sign of some cop on coming into the irish pub scene with regard to bottled beers
    There are definitely more pockets of cop-on around now than there used to be. Shop around and you could nearly get something approaching value, though it's rarer with bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

The prices arent that bad for a long neck if they had the same prices in the south. Fuppin Corona muck is 6euro+ in some places in Dublin, and thats before they hike the prices up because its late in the evening.

Still (sorry for the tangent). Was in the old oak in Cork and their Weissbiers were 4.50 for the half litre so maybe thats a sign of some cop on coming into the irish pub scene with regard to bottled beers not requiring a remortgage on your house to afford them.
    Anyhow, if customers are becoming more price sensitive, then Guinness could do worse than realise this.

BeerNut wrote: »
    There are definitely more pockets of cop-on around now than there used to be. Shop around and you could nearly get something approaching value, though it's rarer with bottles.

The cop on has to start with punters first as Pubs will keep chargeing if people keep paying. Issues like being charged 2Euro for a miwadi in a round (as in another thread) it's in cases like these that people should just leave the round on the bar and walk away with out paying as a show of protest ... can always send up someone else for another round minus the rip off drink ...

However in saying that I think the pub trade has been very slow to react to the exedos of people from pubs and have only themselves to blame, I have no pity for them.

Several pubs in Galway are now charging €3-3.50 for certian long necks/pints and €5 for vodka & split (bottle not dash). So it is not impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

My missus lives up north had a couple of bottles of it the weekend was rather nice have to say

Advertisement