Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Dark Lager

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Its not actually too bad, got a bottle off my barman for free to try it. Needs to be ice cold and drunk from the bottle. We poured a bit and the head just disappears.

This won't sound right but it does taste like stouty lager, its hard to describe. Though tbh I can't see anyone being able to have a good tight rip on this, i think you'd get sick of it after 3 or 4 in one session.

Saying that though I'll not be changing my tipple to it anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mick104

tastes like a mix between Harp and Carlsberg and just looks wrong when poured into a glass as it could easily be mistaken for a glass of coke.

Cant see it being a success as it is too dear. Nearly 4 pound dearer a case than the likes of Bud or Coors before VAT and in the current times its just not acceptable.

It is only a marketing ploy to get people talking about Guinness again and maybe convert a few more to the famous Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ruanaidh

Tasted it a few weeks ago and I thought it's awful. Another Guinness failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had 1 last night, tis grand. I agree with everyone else has said about it alright.
    It was nice for a change. I hate dark lagers usualy but this was very mild in taste.
    If it was on tap in a normal pub id probably buy it over guinness unless i knew the guinness was good there.
    or id buy it if i was planning on having a good few drinks, cant seem to drink more than 4-5 guinness at a time, just get too full.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anyone know when this is available in the Republic (or is it already on sale?).

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't think it's on sale here yet. They're trialling it in the US at the moment, I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

BeerNut wrote: »
    Don't think it's on sale here yet. They're trialling it in the US at the moment, I hear.

Who needs it! There's enough bland corporate bloody beers in the Country as it is, more places willing to sell a wide range of real beers is what we want!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For them as wants a decent black lager, they don't come much better than this:
    zeitgeist.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

For them as wants a decent black lager, they don't come much better than this

Yep that is quality stuff alright

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For them as wants a decent black lager, they don't come much better than this:
    zeitgeist.jpg

And one of the nicest labels I've seen in a while.
    Much as I like Brewdog's marketing stunts and whackiness, (and beer) I don't actually like the look of their bottles - 'cept this one.
    Strangely, Brewdog isn't written anywhere on the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Thought they were trialling it in the North/UK and Thailand first? Not sure why Thailand-maybe someone was pulling my leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

el diablo wrote: »
    Anyone know when this is available in the Republic (or is it already on sale?).

I just saw it in my local off licence in Dublin.

(sorry for dragging up an old thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Had some about a month ago. It's in Dunnes.

Didn't like it, I like strong flavoured larger (like Sam Adams for example), but this was just not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

MetalDog wrote: »
    I just saw it in my local off licence in Dublin.

(sorry for dragging up an old thread)

Cheers, I might get me a few bottles of this tomorrow and check it out. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's awful.
    Dark watery, chemicaly fizz.
    I actually wanted to like this as I thought it might be an option in mainstream pubs but it is truly horrible.
    How can trained, experienced brewers come up with such terrible beer?
    Strangely, it's not fizzy enough to appeal to lager drinkers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

It's awful.
    I actually wanted to like this as I thought it might be an option in mainstream pubs but it is truly horrible.

This ^^^^ Its vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Has anyone seen this for sale as a single bottle. I know it is probably disgusting but would like to try it . Not really prepared to buy a multi pack of it. Would rather spend my money on something nicer.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

It's awful.

I agree. I was tempted to give it a pass when I tried it the other day but when you compare it to other dark lagers it just doesn't stand up. To be honest my expectations dropped when I read "enjoy ice cold straight from the bottle" on the label. Even Guinness has no faith in the quality of the beer when they want you to drink it so cold you can't taste it and don't look at it either because for a lager the carbonation is way off.
    Stick a widget on it and call it Guinness light

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭squonk

Was looking forward to giving this a go but I mightn't bother now unless I come across a single bottle somewhere for the craic.

I think I was either just finishing college or not long finished when breo came out. I didn't have any experience of wheat beer at the time and I thought it was great. It was long gone before I got to try other stuff. I expect if I tasted it now I'd be disappointed but I drank gallons of the stuff at the time.

The last alternative Guinness I enjoyed was Tucan Brew. it was one of the special Guinness series they did a few years ago. I was hoping they'd do limited bottlings of some of these afterwards but it never happened. it wasn't a bad beer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Pure Genius? 'Pure Muck' would be more apt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement