Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice for IT universities?

• 23-03-2010 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello,

I have studied at Spanish university of Alcala de Henares - UAH - (www.uah.es or English version: http://www.uah.es/idiomas/ingles/ ). I started Electronic System eng. but I have to write a thesis to finish my degree.

It doesn't have to be in Electronics, any IT field will suit me, I'm specially interested in computing or operating systems, and knowing that EMC is in Cork, I'm really interested in storage systems (SAN/NAS/CAS...)

I spoke with the Erasmus director in UAH and confirmed me that I can apply for an exchange (well it is not going to be exactly an exchange) so I can go to any university in Cork to ask if I can write the thesis here.

Can anybody give me some advice about technical universities in Cork?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Not to make a silly comment but you are aware that

the IT in Cork IT stands for Institute of Technology not Information Technology?

There is only one university in Cork (UCC), in Ireland none of the Institutes of Technology have University status (yet), I'm not sure this technical note is worth noting in your position.

Presumably, you're only options in cork are Cork IT or UCC. there are other institutions in the 'region' but not many others within cork I'm aware of (if any).

What exactly do you need from the university? Supervision? Materials? Work Space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Careful

hi,

it is not a silly comment at all, as i said i'm really new to Cork, in fact to Ireland.

I have to check with my teachers back in Spain if there will be a problem with CIT not being a university, but i don't think so as i know that i can write the thesis in a company.

Mainly I need supervision, I need a teacher, or department, that has a project running, or is planning a project, and I should take care of a part of it.

Obviously this is not as simple as it sounds, first of all, I have to contact the "host" university to get permission from their side to study there. Then I should contact the right department to give them an overview of my desired fields.

In Spain, normally you have a look at the current projects and apply for those ones you're interested in, but here I'm not sure about how this works.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

CIT recently done a change over to a semesterisation system with credit modules so you should have no problem doing an exchange here.

Advertisement