Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Services Layout?

• 23-03-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of erecting my own workshed out my back garden.I'm living in a housing estate and as yet am stilll undecided as to masonry or timber.
    The whole site is on a gentle incline though so either way I'd have to do some groundworks to level off the base.
    Who should I apply to determine where the services for the house are lying? The County Council? The original developer?
    I'm hoping they'd have been run towards the road frontage towards the front of the house but I'd like to be 100% sure before I get someone in to level the garden.
    Hope this is in the right place, if not mods feel free to move.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I rang the developers today, they said they'd have no history or access to these plans!
    I'll chance the CC tomorrow, but really I find it hard to think that the biggest domestic housing developer in the country(going by their website) can't produce the services layout for a housing estate with circa 50 houses in it.
    Anybody think I was just being fobbed off or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Mods could ye move this to construction and planning please? I'm not getting many responses, my own doing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well if you have ajs in the back you can see the line of sewers from basically joining the dots. you could ring the esb if you reallly liked.

also you can hire a Cable Avoidance Tool (CAT) from any hire shop you can scan the ground for electricity and telecoms.

gas i would assume is where you meter box is and would run in straight lines to the neighbours box. Same with the electricity.

water enters the front of your house. (this is all assuming that you live in a relativily modern estate)

these are all assumptions. but with a bit of common sense you will see where the services are.

if you have any other queries we dont be afraid to ask. and if you are in doubt dont go wading in with a digger use a shovel and dig carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I can see the main water footpedal??, I can follow the line of the rain water down to roadside, waste looks to make sense too..
    I can't make out the electrics,I opened the cabinet and there's a hockeystick inside.
    That and the mains gas are failing me...
    What should I expect to pay to hire out one of those CAT's Martron would you guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why do you need a CAT? You electricity supply, should be going straight down the hockey stick and out to the footpath at the front to the mini pillar so shouldn't be a problem to you in the back garden. Your gas service wont be going out your back either.

If you are just levelling the ground, how deep are you going? You might not even be going low enough that you will encounter the sewerage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We tried to get a services layout with the same results. Even if they had given us one though we wouldn't really have been able to trust it to several meters in any direction.

Anyway we said to the guys digging up the front drive - we think there is a cable under there and it may not be very deep (based on other people's experience on this estate). A couple of hours later the lights went out.
    The guys had severely dented the cable - fortunately without breaking the cover - which was actually embedded in the top two inches of concrete.

At one stage we had FIVE ESB vehicles outside the house between workers and gaffers and inspectors and gofers and whatever...

Davy wrote: »
    Why do you need a CAT? You electricity supply, should be going straight down the hockey stick and out to the footpath at the front to the mini pillar so shouldn't be a problem to you in the back garden. Your gas service wont be going out your back either.

If you are just levelling the ground, how deep are you going? You might not even be going low enough that you will encounter the sewerage.

If i did not say anything about a CAT and said fire ahead someone would have said that thats careless.

so i said it to cover his ass.

the main services should be out the front. as i have said. but if you are worried better safe than sorry
    i cant imagine a CAT is expensive to hire. and if anything you can find the services for future work.

your backgarden should be ok. an in my opinion you will always have to be careful regards how safe you think you are.

Advertisement