Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online account with Irish Rail

• 23-03-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a rail ticket through the irishrail.ie website.
    I don't have an account set up.
    Any normal website would have a "Create Account" or "Sign In" option for people first visiting the website. But not Irish Rail.
    There is only a "My Account" button. No "Create Account" button.
    They should sack the simpleton who designed that website.
    Anyway:

How do I
    1: Create an account?
    2: Buy a return ticket to Galway using my laser card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I want to buy a rail ticket through the irishrail.ie website.
    I don't have an account set up.
    Any normal website would have a "Create Account" or "Sign In" option for people first visiting the website. But not Irish Rail.
    There is only a "My Account" button. No "Create Account" button.
    They should sack the simpleton who designed that website.
    Anyway:

How do I
    1: Create an account?
    2: Buy a return ticket to Galway using my laser card.

You go through the entire process of selecting the trains you want, the fare, then the seat, and then it will prompt you either to enter your account details, or click on "new customers". At this point you can set up an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

KC61 wrote: »
    You go through the entire process of selecting the trains you want, the fare, then the seat, and then it will prompt you either to enter your account details, or click on "new customers". At this point you can set up an account.
    How retarded is that? Oh I forgot. We are talking about Irish Rail and the brain power contained within.:o
    People using the website will be extremely confused at not being able to create an account.
    They even screw up the easy things to get right. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I am too flabergasted for words. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

How retarded is that? Oh I forgot. We are talking about Irish Rail and the brain power contained within.:o
    People using the website will be extremely confused at not being able to create an account.
    They even screw up the easy things to get right. :)

In fairness it tends to be exactly the same with each UK Rail operator's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

I am too flabergasted for words. :eek:
    Whilst I think that Irish Rail's website is generally crap, I can't see the problem with this. Why would you need to register before ever booking a train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Yep, this is fairly common practice across many retail websites. Let the customer select what they want, start the checkout process, then set up the customers account if they're a first timer. Hasn't stopped Amazon from doing quite well. Of course, also having an option of creating your account first would be good - that way you meet everyone's expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

I've just used the irishrail "website" and it is very poor , if Micheal o Leary had something this crap for ryanair i think they would have gone bust by now .

And this is the first impression alot of visitors get of our country when they try to book a train journey out of our capital city .

Whats wrong with use credit card to pay your money , print your ticket , thank you .

When I go to the ticket desk in heuston , I say Limerick Junction single , they reply 44 euro while trying to keep a straight face after seeing the shock on my face as i've just flown from the other side of europe for 20 euro. They dont require my address , email and a very very secure password.

Crazy stuff , crazy.The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

bbsrs wrote: »
    I've just used the irishrail "website" and it is very poor , if Micheal o Leary had something this crap for ryanair i think they would have gone bust by now .

Why is it poor, exactly? It looks no worse than Ryanair's site and it flows well when you are on it. If you want you can have your ticket mailed to you or you pick it up on the day without a need for printers (Another hidden cost needed for airline tickets). It lets you book a ticket and a seat if you like and all within 60 minutes of departure time; it takes laser and it doesn't scam you for bags or large credit card "handling fees" per person per portion of your trip, something people constantly complain about airline booking regimes. In short it's easier and more flexible in many ways; try getting onto the next flight if your late or not allowed to board ;)
    Whats wrong with use credit card to pay your money , print your ticket , thank you .

Rail tickets are collected using your credit/laser card and are validated prior to boarding so printed tickets won't work. It's also a mainly staffless system, something airlines love to tell you is good.
    When I go to the ticket desk in heuston , I say Limerick Junction single , they reply 44 euro while trying to keep a straight face after seeing the shock on my face as i've just flown from the other side of europe for 20 euro. They dont require my address , email and a very very secure password..

Why do the ticket office require your details?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whats wrong with use credit card to pay your money , print your ticket , thank you
    Not every one can print a ticket and there are different issues relating to train tickets (carriage is based on your ticket) and airline tickets (carriage is based on your identity and you have verifiable ID).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Sorry All,

Fabulous site ( irish rail that is), easy to navigate and very fast to book a ticket !Long live the efficient state run company. The irish taxpayer gets value for money at every level.

I will say though any of the rail employees I've met have been very helpful. Its just a pity the mangement are putting it simply , crap and that includes our minister for transport , although thats what you get when promotion isn't performance related and more based on time served old pal.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement