Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I know something that you don't know!

• 23-03-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Now. I've had an idea.

Last night in bed I was thinking about the thread Ricky91t started there about Flickr vs Pix and how Pixie gets a general thumbs up by everyone for being so familiar and all.

Which got me to thinking even more, about the people I've actually had the pleasure of meeting them in real life. And which onces I would like to meet in real life. And how I know things about posters here without ever seeing them in person. And how I probably wouldnt recognize them when passing them on the streets.

Anyho, what I thought then, was the following: i'd thought it might be fun to post some random trivia about people here in a thread. Sort of to get to know eachother a little better. So basically, person A posts a trivial fact about person B. One fact per reply.

Like for example: AnimalRights collects stamps issues during the British empire reign
    (yes I might have made this one up. but then again, perhaps he does).
    Or, more realistically, Dakar is a vet.
    (which I didnt know and found interesting to find out)

What do you reckon? Mods, if inappropriate, my aplogies.

Poll attached to see if other people would think it's fun as well. Or perhaps oppose because you don't feel that us nozy feckers should find out random pieces of information about you...

*Now my head hurts from all the thinking*

Bad idea? Good idea? 31 votes

Ah sure, t be a bit a craic
    0% 0 votes
    No! I oppose!
    96% 30 votes
    I really don't care either way
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Maybe the poll should be public so that only people who say 'yah' or 'not bothered' would be included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Why not a post your pic thread? :)

*No camera covering one eye shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Maybe the poll should be public so that only people who say 'yah' or 'not bothered' would be included?

Is it not public?? Mmh :o **Confused**

Tallon wrote: »
    Why not a post your pic thread? :)

*No camera covering one eye shots

My avatar is me, and not a camera in sight ;)
    sNarah wrote: »
    Is it not public?? Mmh :o **Confused**

Nope - you can't see who voted what.

appleman.png

• Advertisement

Nope - you can't see who voted what.
    Fair enough. I see what you mean now. But... Can't change it!? (or can I?)

Fair enough. I see what you mean now. But... Can't change it!? (or can I?)

A public poll can be made private by a mod, but not the other way around unfortunetly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

So far I have only met ThOnda in real life, so I wouldn't mind getting to know more boardies using this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sure why the hell not. Sounds like it could be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Oh no, you mean we would no longer be an anonymous blip on the ether of the great matrix in the sky :)

Actually I firmly appreciate / understand now what Scott McNealy said when he suggested (to paraphrase) that there was no such thing as privacy / anonymity on the internet. Go to google maps, click show your location and the feicers have your house marked with a bloody big blue dot.... (assumes you are browsing from home) - geo location at its best.

Now back to the forum -

We did / have a "hello, how ya doin sort of thread" - eh, 2 of them I think, but the constitution of the forum has changed greatly over maybe the last 12 months. In particular I see lots of new faces recently which are very welcome, and some of the older faces have lapsed a little (myself included just a wee bit), and some peeps have become career "intermittent lurkers" where you go "wtf - i thought they were dead" when they turn up on thread :D

So blah de blah, IMHO, a revised intros thread would be a good idea to consider too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

sNarah you stalker!!
    I used to collect stamps as a kid and I am pretty knowledgeable about Kings & Queens of England since 1066!

I kid you not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

AnCatDubh wrote: »

We did / have a "hello, how ya doin sort of thread" - eh, 2 of them I think, but the constitution of the forum has changed greatly over maybe the last 12 months. In particular I see lots of new faces recently which are very welcome, and some of the older faces have lapsed a little (myself included just a wee bit), and some peeps have become career "intermittent lurkers" where you go "wtf - i thought they were dead" when they turn up on thread :D

So blah de blah, IMHO, a revised intros thread would be a good idea to consider too.

Yeah, the last one got unstickied at some stage.

Signing up for photowalks by the way under events and outings or via photowalk.ie would introduce you to a few boardsies from time to time, even some lapsed ones.

I always find the thoughts of bumping into a boardsie in reality to be very daunting.

Not entirely sure why? Anyone else the same?

The only 'boardsies' I've ever met are Chorcai and Kane-n-nite (from the Rasslin' forum). Just kinda bumped into Kane-n-nite at a WWE house show in Dublin. Chorcai is the only boardsie I've ever intentionally met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Nope because I bump into too many boardsies. Many are photographers too ;)

sNarah you stalker!!
    I used to collect stamps as a kid and I am pretty knowledgeable about Kings & Queens of England since 1066!

I kid you not!!

Ha. will I use my powers for good or for evil... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah I think it could be funny although far too many people know far too much about me.

Kintaro Hittora think he has a noisy water pump.

I always find the thoughts of bumping into a boardsie in reality to be very daunting.

Buzzlightyear and Covey have both bumped into me on seperate occasions and both recgonised me and it also happened to be the same Pub!

I've met many boardsies.

and SNarah...evil is always good, cept to Animals of course.

cool.

Im not thinking massive emotional statements nor life secrets.
    Now I know Kintaro Hittora thinks he has a noisy water pump. Hihi.

Ah me too, have met Boardies. Would considere some of them (:eek:) friends. They are nice. Not creepy like. No internet creepies. No nervousness needed!

I also liked that intro one AnCatDubh.
    Oooh the options, the options !

Mhhh. Evil it is then! (**starts brewing little poison for world-domination**).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have met a few boardies through my printing business

although i must say quite a few of them were not what i expected!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah I think it could be funny although far too many people know far too much about me.

cool.

Now I know Kintaro Hittora thinks he has a noisy water pump.

I'm now known for all the wrong reasons! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

humberklog wrote: »
    I'm now known for all the wrong reasons! :eek:

Is that some sort of euphemism?:eek::D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I think its a great idea, I would love to get to know other photographers on here, I have been posting and lurking for too long now, and only posting once in a while, but I always shy away from the photowalks and that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

alot of people think i'm a girl on this forum... i am not

that is all

You just looked down didn't you. ;)

I met dodgykeeper once when he very kindly brought me down a lightstand widget when he was in Galway, and I used to work with cambo_gueno, I think that's about it!

Well I'd say we leave this one open for another day or so to ensure everyone has seen it and given the option to oppose or agree.

And then open a new thread. maybe combining some of all the things said above in one.

Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

haha, that's probably what the ellipsis was. Here's a corrected version of mele's post:
    alot of people think i'm a girl on this forum <glances down> i am not

that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I know animal rights has a blonde rats tail
    janer.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Me too!
    Sometimes I see someone in Galway with a DSLR taking photos I always wonder 'oh.. is that a boardsie?' or 'It would be funny if I seen that photo they're taking right now on the forum tonight...!' Bit silly really, we're not the only ones with cameras! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Me too!
    Sometimes I see someone in Galway with a DSLR taking photos I always wonder 'oh.. is that a boardsie?' or 'It would be funny if I seen that photo they're taking right now on the forum tonight...!' Bit silly really, we're not the only ones with cameras! :rolleyes:

I always say hello, and ask! I forgot that I met Monasette shooting IR along the river by Galway Cathedral that way, so that's 3 boardsie 'togs I've met!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i was thinking of you...

i was looking up

:cool:

i was thinking of you...

i was looking up

:confused: I don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Trivia, eh? I thought she was sixteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I know Daire doesn't get it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

i was thinking of you...

i was looking up

Are you getting a rise out of this ?:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Fenster wrote: »
    Trivia, eh? I thought she was sixteen.

only online...

On the what, now?

Fenster wrote: »
    On the what, now?

WHAT's on the what now ? What the hell are you people all talking about ? God almighty, is it not too much to ask people to make an ounce of sense sometimes ?

WHAT's on the what now ? What the hell are you people all talking about ? God almighty, is it not too much to ask people to make an ounce of sense sometimes ?

come on its not that hard...is it?

<checks>

ok may be it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, I mainly lurk, still getting used to the 450D.

• Advertisement

come on its not that hard...is it?

<checks>

ok may be it is

:eek:

My work here is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think maybe a self portrait thread would be handy. At least it's using your camera :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its one thing meeting people. but having my mug immortalised on the internet is a no no. besides there is too many unathourised tags on facebook.:D

Advertisement