Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

TomCo wrote: »
    Is this basically a notice informing customs that the item is from outside the EU and to add VAT accordingly?

It's just a customs declaration, and customs do not need to be told to add VAT, they'll do that themselves anyway.
    Am I right in thinking that something I ordered from the UK is not eligible to be taxed since we're all pals in the EU?

Post #1
    can I just stroll down to the centre myself to collect it

No, you cannot. Monday is a public holiday too, so it will be Tuesday before any delivery will be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Astrex

question im buying from hollister and its about 290 dollars all together and could i send it to my sister in america for cheap delivery to her then she sends it to me and i dont have to pay customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You are obliged to pay customs / vat taxes where appropriate no matter who sends the parcel, you could send a parcel to yourself whilst on holidays and be liable for taxes. That said there may be less chance of a package being stopped by a domestic shipper (your sister) than a business sender but that's by no means certain.

Astrex wrote: »
    question im buying from hollister and its about 290 dollars all together and could i send it to my sister in america for cheap delivery to her then she sends it to me and i dont have to pay customs?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hey guys,
    I have an order value of $173.54 from AE.com
    Shipping is $50 on top of that

According to Dutycalculator.com i have a total order value of 150.66 EURO

It says that Customs duty is not applicable because the total value of my goods does not exceed 150. But it clearly does (@150.66). Why does it say this?

Dunno if this link will work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Ok, long story short.

I bought an item from thinkgeek.com for my boyfriend as a birthday present. Product cost was $14.99. Shipping was $23.49. Calculate to euros just under €26.

Get a phone call this morning from UPS saying I need to pay €23.51 for VAT and Customs etc but I've just checked out online that I shouldnt be paying VAT or Customs taxes. Any ideas on what I can do?

You should be paying VAT as it's valued over €22. The exchange rate will not be the same as you find on xe.com either, it will be worse. Estimated value of your goods will be around €28, VAT on this is around €6, the rest is the handling fee charged by the courier.

@Hogzy, since the value is right at the €150 limit, it is possible that duty will still not be charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

jor el wrote: »
    You should be paying VAT as it's valued over €22. The exchange rate will not be the same as you find on xe.com either, it will be worse. Estimated value of your goods will be around €28, VAT on this is around €6, the rest is the handling fee charged by the courier.

Thought they only checked VAT on the price of the product and didnt include shipping?

No, it's the total value, including shipping and handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hogzy wrote: »
    According to Dutycalculator.com i have a total order value of 150.66 EURO

It says that Customs duty is not applicable because the total value of my goods does not exceed 150. But it clearly does (@150.66). Why does it say this?
    The 150.66 is the value including shipping. When calculating duty its the value of just the goods (yours is below €150), VAT calculations are on the full value including shipping.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1179.html
    3. Consignments of Negligible Value

Consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty, while consignments not exceeding a total value of €22 may be imported without payment of VAT. (Intrinsic value is the value of the goods alone, and does not include insurance and freight.) However, it should be noted in particular that there is no relief (from Customs Duty, VAT or Excise duty) under this negligible value provision for importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcohol products, perfumes or toilet waters irrespective of their value.

• Advertisement

^^^ Thanks a million rubadub. Great news for my order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 misslizzy175

Hi,

Hopefully, someone can help me. I purchased $130 (dollars) worth of childrens clothing from the US and the An Post delivery man was here this morning looking for €21. I didn't have it on me so I've to go down later to pay it and collect the package. I've bought from this company before (Gymboree) and never got caught for customs. In fact this was the lowest amount I've ever bought from them.

Could someone please let me know how the amount was calculated? and if its right.

Thanks,

Liz

I purchased $130 (dollars) worth of childrens clothing from the US and the An Post delivery man was here this morning looking for €21.
    Some childrens clothes are zero VAT so you should not be charged if they fall under this definition.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-00245.jsp
    Clothing marketed or labelled as being for children under 11 years of age up to & including chest size 32; waist size 26; height 152 cm or other equivalent sizes. Fur clothing Standard rated. See CLOTHING FUR

Also a weird one on cowboy suits! as it might fall under the definition of toys.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-00647.jsp

You could print out your order & online description if you think you should be exempt.

Thanks, the clothes were sized 3 to 6 months, 2 years and 5 years.

OK. I went and got the package. VAT was charged on it plus the collection fee. There was a copy invoice on the front (detailing the order - just clothes, tops, trousers etc. for kids up to 5 years old) that customs had opened so they must have known what was in it.:mad:

Anyway, anyone know who or where to contact to get my money back. I've looked at the revenue site but I'm lost.

Thanks,

Liz

Ok, So my stuff from the US was delivered today by An Post. However they didnt collect any money for VAT from me which i was surprised at.

Will an invoice be sent to me in the future to bill me for the VAT charges similar to what FedEX do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭megaten

Are CDWOW.ie based in the EU? I just got a letter from AnPost because they didn't declare a value on a package for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

No most of their stuff ships from USA / Asia. Don't be fooled by the .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KaBooom

I bought a cable off ebay worth 2 euro and shipping about 3, it was sent from Ireland. I got my bank statement today and there is a 30 euro stamp duty, the only thing I bought with the credit card was the cable, anyone know whats that about?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

KaBooom wrote: »
    I bought a cable off ebay worth 2 euro and shipping about 3, it was sent from Ireland. I got my bank statement today and there is a 30 euro stamp duty, the only thing I bought with the credit card was the cable, anyone know whats that about?

It is a government tax on credit cards charged annually.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Ok, So my stuff from the US was delivered today by An Post. However they didnt collect any money for VAT from me which i was surprised at.

Will an invoice be sent to me in the future to bill me for the VAT charges similar to what FedEX do?

^^^ Does anyone have an answer to this?
    Its kind of important because if i have 'gotten away' without paying the tax then im going to spend the money that i set aside for paying the VAT.

Do An Post ever come back a few days/weeks/months later and invoice you for the VAT charges?

An Post collect on delivery. Some of the courier companies (specifically FedEx) will bill later.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Recently received a dust mask from the US, none was available in XL size here.

price of safety mask 35euro
    +shipping from US 25euro

Then received claim from DHL for customs VAT

VAT 13euro
    +Admin fee 10euro.

Is there any exemption for safety equipment?

Not too impressed that a private company can cream a 10 euro admin fee on a customs transaction like this tbh.

Some safety equipment is VAT free, but I don't know if they class a dust mask as safety equipment. As far as I know, it is not VAT free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dohc95coupe

hi guys and girls

need help asap im planning on buying some power tools from a uk online shop a makita drill €200 and jigsaw €100 postage is €25 so total is €325 i need to no will i have to pay vat on them or will there be any charges seems there just coming from the uk

thanks in advance

ger :)

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

hi guys and girls

need help asap im planning on buying some power tools from a uk online shop a makita drill €200 and jigsaw €100 postage is €25 so total is €325 i need to no will i have to pay vat on them or will there be any charges seems there just coming from the uk

thanks in advance

ger :)

You will need to contact them and ask them where are they shipping from and does the price include UK VAT (If it does then you won't be stopped here)

Just be aware that just because the site has a .co.uk address does not mean it is based there - likewise .ie addresses does not neccessarily mean you're dealing with a VAT registered Irish based company.

makita drill €200 and jigsaw €100 postage is €25 so total is €325
    Also check amazon, we got drills and I later found a better deal on amazon, people think they would only sell household stuff. It can work out cheaper since they have free postage over £25.

Find the checkout price though as amazon will add Irish VAT.

By the way your answer was answered in the first post, that is why the thread title says to read it.

this is the checkout invoice

Makita HR2470T SDS + Rotary Hammer Drill

Select Voltage: 240v

£159.95

£159.95

Makita 4350 Jigsaw Orbital Action

Option - Select Voltage: 240v

£124.95

£124.95

VAT Included in Price

£47.49
    Total To Pay

£284.90

and the store is an actual store in the uk

so i will be ok

rubadub sorry pal all that in the first post i read and was all jibberish to me thats why i asked :)

• Advertisement

rubadub sorry pal all that in the first post i read and was all jibberish to me thats why i asked :)

Which part of When you import anything from outside the EU, it is subject to VAT and possibly duty, if it exceeds the limits is jiberish? It couldn't be any more simple to follow.

Advertisement