Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

PTO wrote: »
    Bought 5 records from the US amounting to $99, when they arrived this morning I was charged €24.79.

Anyone any idea why??

New or second hand?

I buy a lot of records from the US - only been hit when it's new stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

New or second hand?

I buy a lot of records from the US - only been hit when it's new stuff though.

Oh right. They were new. Makes sense so. I've bought lots of 2nd hand myself and never got charged. Must've been because they were new so!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

New or second hand items should make no difference, in theory. i.e. it is not like secondhand stuff is exempt in case that's what you are thinking. They should just be going on the value.

What may be happening here is that if you are buying second hand it is more likely from a private seller, who may not give a declaration of value or invoice. While buying new from a shop will have invoices usually, which makes it easier for customs to process.

rubadub wrote: »
    New or second hand items should make no difference, in theory. i.e. it is not like secondhand stuff is exempt in case that's what you are thinking. They should just be going on the value.

What may be happening here is that if you are buying second hand it is more likely from a private seller, who may not give a declaration of value or invoice. While buying new from a shop will have invoices usually, which makes it easier for customs to process.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dariafour

I bought a piece of expensive equipment from Hong Kong via ebay and the seller marked the value down at a very low price instead of the true cost. The item is stuck in customs in Dublin now and I've instead received a letter asking me to provide proof of purchase so they can work out how much I owe.

I have no problem at all paying the genuine amount of duty/tax, but my problem is that in the letter is states:

"as the importer of the goods, you have legal responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of information provided on the declaration by the seller"

I had no control over the seller's actions, but now I'm worried I'll be the one who gets in trouble because the cost was marked down. Anyone experienced this or know what to do?!!

• Advertisement

dariafour wrote: »
    I had no control over the seller's actions, but now I'm worried I'll be the one who gets in trouble because the cost was marked down. Anyone experienced this or know what to do?!!
    I highly doubt you will get in any trouble legally. You will just have to print out your paypal receipts or whatever emails you have showing the true cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

dariafour wrote: »
    I bought a piece of expensive equipment from Hong Kong via ebay and the seller marked the value down at a very low price instead of the true cost. The item is stuck in customs in Dublin now and I've instead received a letter asking me to provide proof of purchase so they can work out how much I owe.

I have no problem at all paying the genuine amount of duty/tax, but my problem is that in the letter is states:

"as the importer of the goods, you have legal responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of information provided on the declaration by the seller"

You can take it as read that Customs snagged it because the value was marked down. All you can do at this stage is submit the paypall receipt and plead ignorance. I reckon, customs will accept the value based on your paypall receipt and calculate duty and vat accordingly without levying any fine.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishred73

is there vat on silver ingots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Hi folks,

I've been thinking about placing a bulk order of CDs (about 20 or so) on Amazon.co.uk. The CDs would be coming from various Marketplace sellers, but there's one in particular that has a decent selection/prices. It says they ship from California, so i'm conscious of not buying more than €26.08's worth (P&P included) from them in one go.

What i'm curious about is their P&P costs, seen here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/details?ie=UTF8&asin=B000CSULKO&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&seller=A39ICD481JU15Y&sshmPath=shipping-rates#aag_shipping

The post is cheapest to a UK address, then a European one, with postage to the US/Canada coming in at a good deal more. It also says on their front that items "Ships with Royal Mail 2". These facts for me add up to the items shipping from the UK.

Anyone any ideas? Ever got charged VAT with a delivery from these guys? I'd like to buy the majority of my stuff here as they're a great store, but it'll be inconvenient to stagger the purchases.

Thanks.

Hi folks,

I've been thinking about placing a bulk order of CDs (about 20 or so) on Amazon.co.uk. The CDs would be coming from various Marketplace sellers, but there's one in particular that has a decent selection/prices. It says they ship from California, so i'm conscious of not buying more than €26.08's worth (P&P included) from them in one go.

What i'm curious about is their P&P costs, seen here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/details?ie=UTF8&asin=B000CSULKO&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&seller=A39ICD481JU15Y&sshmPath=shipping-rates#aag_shipping

The post is cheapest to a UK address, then a European one, with postage to the US/Canada coming in at a good deal more. It also says on their front that items "Ships with Royal Mail 2". These facts for me add up to the items shipping from the UK.

Anyone any ideas? Ever got charged VAT with a delivery from these guys? I'd like to buy the majority of my stuff here as they're a great store, but it'll be inconvenient to stagger the purchases.

Thanks.

Amazon.co.uk have a standard postage charge for all CDs sold on Marketplace. It's GBP £1.82 for us. This price applies whether the item is a regular CD album or a multi-disc box set.

If you order 20 CDs from Marketplace you will be charged 20 x £1.82.
    If some of the discs are from the same seller they may offer a partial shipping refund [if they decide to put the CDs in the one package] but they're not obliged to.

Generally speaking the discs will ship separately. I've ordered hundreds of second hand CDs on Amazon [US and Canada as well as UK] over the years and have never been caught for import duty when the sellers originate from outside the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Ah, okay, didn't realise it's a standard shipping cost. Thanks

To be honest, i've bought loads of them before, but i used the girlfriend's 3V (we'd usually go splits on a voucher) and postal address (much less likely to miss the postie there), but we broke up recently so i can't really ask her what usually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Hi, I bought a ring for a bit under 800 euro in a retail jewellery shop in Germany a week or two ago. It won't be ready for a few more days.

The company don't post to Ireland so I was going to ask a work colleague to bring it over for me when flying.

There seems to be a rule on bringing goods worth over 450 euro on a plane. Does this need to be declared and if so how and if so how much will it cost and will my friend have to be searched in the red exit at airport (they may not be up for that)? Or is something like UPS just a better idea?

Don't mind paying the tax but don't know how or how much...

Thanks

i want to buy this

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251147469804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i cannt figure out that caluator dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

i want to buy this

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251147469804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i cannt figure out that caluator dammit

Calculation results

Edit

Total customs value:

€244.14

- Duty:

€0.00

- VAT:

€56.15

Total import duty & taxes due:

€56.15

Total landed cost:

€300.29 at USD/EUR exchange rate of 0.7637

mickzer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Blue Spark

For the past month or two, I've been surfing the web for the cheapest prices of computer components. I eventually came to a US site and also an eBay located in the US.

Unless I'm misinformed, is there no duty on Computer Hardware? I've been researching this for a month or two, and I've come to no conclusions. Also, in the OP, it says the maximum VAT for purchases is €22, yet in the duty calculator the VAT calculations just get the percentage of the total cost. If someone could maybe post a link to a site that explains it in whole, it'd be helpful.

The total cost would be around €1,800, but let's take one item specifically, for example, the GTX 680. The particular version I'm looking to purchase would cost about €500. If I were to order it from the US, would the VAT be €100+?

Sorry if I seem like I haven't done any research, or if I'm asking obvious questions, I'm just simply confused at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

I want to buy an mp3 player from a british site, when they send it to Ireland is there any way I can just pay VAT without having to have customs intercept it first?

I'm not trying to evade VAT or anything like that so why can't I just pay the VAT up front or something so it can be delivered hassle free? Or is there a way to do this?

From above calculator:
    Notes on import taxes due
    Duty and VAT due are nil because the shipment is between two EU countries. However, the seller may include VAT in the price of the goods.

mickzer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 linda_mjb

Good Morning,

I wam looking for some advice on claiming back import/export tax. I have an Irish registered comany and was shipping something from Guernsey to Watford(UK). Import duty was incurred to the value of 6K. I have contacted both HMRC who said that the refund comes from the Revenue. I have been given conflicting methods of cliaming this back from the revenue. One said it could be done via the VAT3 another said to register for EVR and claim in back that way? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers

LC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

mickzer wrote: »
    From above calculator:
    Notes on import taxes due
    Duty and VAT due are nil because the shipment is between two EU countries. However, the seller may include VAT in the price of the goods.

mickzer

I thought VAT had to be paid and that was why Amazon.co.uk aren't shipping electronic goods to Ireland?

doing wrote: »
    I thought VAT had to be paid and that was why Amazon.co.uk aren't shipping electronic goods to Ireland?
    Amazon.co.uk have some strange exemptions, they are listed on their sites. I think there is a problem with items being considered media, like blank DVDs. They seem to regard some mp3 players like media storage devices, and I think there is a levy or something here to go towards piracy. While they may sell similar items, like apple ipods with no restriction.

Amazon will also charge irish VAT on goods, but not UK vat. This is since they do over €35,000 business with Ireland per year so are obliged to. This is not a double hit on VAT, just Irish, and you pay amazon at checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rainman101

Hi,
    New on here....quick question...firstly imported item from the States fed ex delivered...tought I got away with tax however fed ex sent me a bill today saying they had paid import tax I now owe them 70 euro...damn.....however my question is this as I'm really unsure now ......I bought an item from China paid for ems post....I tracked it, believed it was stopped in customs however soon after local post run dropped it to door and I signed for it..end off....will I now get some kind of bill or am I ok....any help welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

If you return something because it isn't suitable do you get a refund of VAT/Customs? Recent purchase set me back 80euro in charges which is more than the value of one of the items :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Do customs notify you if they've seized a package? I've been waiting 2 months on a Five euro pair of headphones from dealextreme but they haven't turned up. Just wondering if its possible they were seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

I bought a jersey from Ebay & paid $76 USD including shipping. What kind of money am I looking at paying in terms of VAT/Customs etc.?

Is there any way of avoiding these costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 braymoor1976

Hi, My son is getting a 5th generation ipod touch in the mail from his grandmother from canada, its insured for 400 Canadian and its shipping costs were 67.00 dollars, I am trying to figure out what price I will have to pay in duty or vat so I can get a ball park idea how much money I will need. Does anyone know what an ipod touch is classified as for tax purposes, it is listed as a gift as well even though I know it exceeds the amount allowed. Thanks in advance
    user_online.pngreport.gif progress.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hi, My son is getting a 5th generation ipod touch in the mail from his grandmother from canada, its insured for 400 Canadian and its shipping costs were 67.00 dollars, I am trying to figure out what price I will have to pay in duty or vat so I can get a ball park idea how much money I will need. Does anyone know what an ipod touch is classified as for tax purposes, it is listed as a gift as well even though I know it exceeds the amount allowed. Thanks in advance

Total customs value: 361.88
    - Duty: €50.30
    - VAT: €94.80
    Total import duty & taxes due: €145.10

E.& O.E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 braymoor1976

Thanks i was hoping it was exempt from duty as an iphone is since they share similar hs codes too bad for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If its got same hs code you will save €50 duty

Advertisement