Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Purchased something from amazon.com, it came to a total of €25.50 including product and shipping, i selected standard shipping as i was in no hurry for the item, but for some reason amazon sent it by courier which is normally alot more expensive, so basically i got fast shipping at their expense which has now turned out to cost me even more with fee's.

But anyway UPS show up today saying there is a COD of €23.41, i didnt have the money to pay and quite frankly i dont want to pay 100% in fees of the purchase price.

The fees worked out at €9.41 to customs and €14 to UPS for their ''handling charge'' which is a f***ing disgrace.

Customs and Revenue also want to get a grip of themselves, im a miserable €3 over the limit an they hit me, it would be more in their line to look out for bigger packages and not be petty over small amounts like this, people have often gotten bigger amounts through without been hit for a charge, so obvioulsy they arent very good at their job, but anyway i wouldnt mind paying the odd €9 if they are that hard up for it which it seems they are, but i am not paying UPS their outrageous handling charge.

Can i request it to be returned to amazon at no expense of my own and let UPS reclaim the vat themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not sure about Amazon.com policy regarding this specific issue.
    Have you checked their terms&conditions about taxes/fees and customs before proceding with purchasing your item ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anjo70

hi does anyone know when i might get my package it was dispatched from shanghai on 13 dec and hasent moved since its for santa so im hoping it gets here soon ..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

anjo70 wrote: »
    hi does anyone know

No

hi does anyone know when i might get my package it was dispatched from shanghai on 13 dec and hasent moved since its for santa so im hoping it gets here soon ..thanks

Get the seller to chase it for you .

• Advertisement

Jarren wrote: »
    Get the seller to chase it for you .

thanks ....but i mailed them no response its in shanghai since tuesday i guess ill just have to wait :) and pray it gets here in time for santa :)

Mention the chargeback and they will get back to you pronto .
    Depending on how much you spent of course .

Mention the chargeback and they will get back to you pronto .
    Depending on how much you spent of course .

whats the charge back ??? never heard of it spent over 150 euro ..do you mean a refund and can you do that ..thanks

First thing is first.
    Email them today or call them tomorrow(mind the time difference)

Wait for them to get back to you (2/3 days)

If there is no response commence chargeback procedure(usually means cancelling your credit card or stopping a transcaction from going through your account.

Out of curiosity

Can you link the website where you got your item from ?

First thing is first.
    Email them today or call them tomorrow(mind the time difference)

Wait for them to get back to you (2/3 days)

If there is no response commence chargeback procedure(usually means cancelling your credit card or stopping a transcaction from going through your account.

Out of curiosity

Can you link the website where you got your item from ?
    cash is all ready gone out of my account id say its safe enough although it is my first time buying from this seller http://www.wholesalefashionstyle.com/ bought stuff for the kids its with EMS some say they are fast others say they are slow ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

If it was only dispatched on Thursday via EMS if your lucky you'll have it by next friday/saturday. Ems is normally 7-10 days at "normal" times of the year but with christmas delays ect it can take longer.

FWIW that website is also full of counterfeit stuff, Id be more worried about customs seizing your package when it gets here depending on what you bought as opposed to when it does actually arrive.

Poor ratings OP

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/wholesalefashionstyle.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=warn-viewsc

As stated it will take a bit longer because of the Christmas coming up.

An post will be delivering this product in Ireland providing that it won't get get destroyed by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

shocksy wrote: »
    Customs and Revenue also want to get a grip of themselves, im a miserable €3 over the limit an they hit me, it would be more in their line to look out for bigger packages and not be petty over small amounts like this, people have often gotten bigger amounts through without been hit for a charge,
    I don't think this is C&R's fault. In my experience, UPS and FedEx charge taxes etc. plus, of course, their fee on every single package they deliver from outside the EU; it seems to be their standard operating procedure which they describe as their effort to serve you better by clearing things through customs for you rather than waiting for customs to do it.

It's not the tax I mind paying - it's often a relatively small amount but the flat €14/€20 fees are ridiculous - they must be a huge money-spinner for UPS and FedEx.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hantipants

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time getting to grips with all this as this is the first time i've ordered something from outside the EU.

I bought a mobile phone from android-sale, a company from Hong Kong, for 360 euro including shipping and it was sent via EMS. Now it is in Portlaoise post office sorting centre. Im guessing the VAT i'd have to pay is around the 80 euro mark, but how often do packages like this slip through the cracks? Is there just random checks on packages or is it more in depth? Will i be told by the delivery man at the time whether or not i have to pay or will i have to wait a few weeks and see if i get a letter or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 braymoor

Hantipants wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm having a hard time getting to grips with all this as this is the first time i've ordered something from outside the EU.

I bought a mobile phone from android-sale, a company from Hong Kong, for 360 euro including shipping and it was sent via EMS. Now it is in Portlaoise post office sorting centre. Im guessing the VAT i'd have to pay is around the 80 euro mark, but how often do packages like this slip through the cracks? Is there just random checks on packages or is it more in depth? Will i be told by the delivery man at the time whether or not i have to pay or will i have to wait a few weeks and see if i get a letter or not?

i just had a package come as a gift for my son from my family back home in canada, was a 5th gen ipod worth lots, on the outside of the package it did say gift but listed as game and the value --I was freaked out because as you know it could incur costs which i know is legal but i was still worried about the amount --anyways i called the customs sorting office and they say they don't get every package that goes through--far too many, especially this time of year--she said some do slip thru. Mine slipped thru unchallenged, the mail person will call to the house with the package she scans it then if money is due she finds out then and you can pay her on the spot--when my package was listed as at the sorting office it arrived the next day. We just did this a couple weeks ago, hope everything goes well.--if its coming a courier i am told there is a higher chance of getting nailed with vat than if it came thru an post deliveries..but you should still know there and then when they deliver, least from what i understand

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hantipants

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the extra throughput from christmas will get me off the hook. I have nothing against paying what i have to, but i sure as hell would enjoy getting away with it!

I guess ill find out tomorrow seeing as the package is e route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Hi, I have a question about buying something from abroad and didn't know where to post it.

I ordered some clothes online form the Hollister website to the amount of 115 euro + 15 euro shipping and it clearly says "Recipient will not be charged any additional import duties or taxes. VAT and import duties on shipping and handling charges are included in the shipping and handling fee, and will be paid by Hollister Co. These fees are not refundable with merchandise returns, unless required by law."

and also says "Orders shipped within our European region will not be subject to any additional duties and taxes upon entering the country."

I took this to mean that the total amount I would pay is 130e overall and that was it. However, I've read up on boards about people saying they had to up to 40% of the total amount spent when purchasing form Hollister.

How is this possible? Surely if they say they'll pay the duty and VAT then I should not be liable? And surely if I say/show this to whoever looks for custom and excise duty from me than they will see that I should be liable? Or maybe there will be nothing said about extra payment at all :confused:

If shipped from US

Duty - Nil
    VAT -29.90 Euros
    + handling/admin charge 6 -15 Euros aproximetely

If they decide to ship your product from any based European store then you won't be paying any taxes,vat etc...

Thanks for your reply... They said they'll be paying it though so surely I shouldn't have to pay anything? Or does the above in bold mean something else?It wouldn't have been worth me etting it online if I had thought I'd be paying these extra charges tbh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How is this possible? Surely if they say they'll pay the duty and VAT then I should not be liable?
    I think amazon.com have some setup where they can pay the vat & duty charges in advance.

Can you link to where you saw this page?
    I can only find this
    http://www.hollisterco.com/hol/faq/shippingandhandlingrates_uk.html

and the vat is prepaid in the UK, not here.
    International (Excluding Canada)

Important: Shipments made outside of the US and Canada may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once your package reaches the country of destination and are the responsibility of the recipient.

VAT will be removed from the listed Merchandise Price.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I think amazon.com have some setup where they can pay the vat & duty charges in advance.

Can you link to where you saw this page?
    I can only find this
    http://www.hollisterco.com/hol/faq/shippingandhandlingrates_uk.html

and the vat is prepaid in the UK, not here.

You can only view it if you go into order details when you have an item in the shopping bag it seems :confused:

Asked a few friends and they said they've never been charged when ordering from the "European" website so I guess I'll just have to wait and see! Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I am getting a tablet shipped back to me from the US after sending it for repair. I got an email off them saying that I am going to be liable for any customs charges etc. Is this right? Will I have to pay extra from it even though I was the one that posted it in the first place. How much will I be liable for? The tablet cost 189$ dollars to repair. They don't make them anymore but I bought it for about 550e.
    They are also giving me the option to either have it fedexed or sent via USPS, which one should I go for considering I really don't want to have pay anymore for this item as it is.

Thanks.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/my-goods-were-sent-outside-the-eu-to-be-repaired-do-i-have-to-pay-import-duty-and-vat-when-they-are-returned-to-me/

I'd pick USPS over Fedex any day , Fedex seem to be making a lot of mistakes in calculating
    VAT/Duty correctly , based on personal experience of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

I am getting a tablet shipped back to me from the US after sending it for repair. I got an email off them saying that I am going to be liable for any customs charges etc. Is this right? Will I have to pay extra from it even though I was the one that posted it in the first place. How much will I be liable for? The tablet cost 189$ dollars to repair. They don't make them anymore but I bought it for about 550e.
    They are also giving me the option to either have it fedexed or sent via USPS, which one should I go for considering I really don't want to have pay anymore for this item as it is.

Thanks.
    fedex are are a tax collecting shower of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, a week after you have recieved you package they will send you a bill, go with usps, i have never recieved a tax demand from them. one package that i recieved had been opened, also the internal safety coating had been searched, yes usps rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i just cant get over the fact that i'll be paying vat on secondhand goods now! its scandalous when you think about it - paying tax on somehting infinite times:(. am thinking of buying a lens and cant seem to find it in the eu so was on amazon.com and found a few but like that now i don't want to buy it from here cos it could cost me an arm and a leg. the lens is about $600 on amazon.com. anyone know what my final bill will be if i buy it?

Duty -12.51 Euros
    VAT -109.48 Euros
    +admin/handling fee

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

Just looking for information on paying duty and VAT on a kayak I'm considering buying from a Chinese manufacturer. It is for private use so I won't be VAT registered or anything like that. my main question would be how do I pay the duty and VAT on the kayak once it arrives in Ireland, will I have to go through a customs broker? Or is there a way in which I can pay whatever duty and VAT is owed directly to Customs/Revenue myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Tybalt wrote: »
    Just looking for information on paying duty and VAT on a kayak I'm considering buying from a Chinese manufacturer. It is for private use so I won't be VAT registered or anything like that. my main question would be how do I pay the duty and VAT on the kayak once it arrives in Ireland, will I have to go through a customs broker? Or is there a way in which I can pay whatever duty and VAT is owed directly to Customs/Revenue myself?

Hello Tybalt,

can you confirm which way the kayak will be coming in ? If you are contemplating Oceanfreight and leaving the shipping arrangements with your supplier, the duty and VAT will be the least of your worries. If that is the case, search boards.ie for the terms : China Import Service Fee.

If the goods come in by airfreight / courier (e.g. DHL/FEDEX/UPS) the Kayak will be cleared by the courier and delivered to you with a request for payment of the duty and VAT, as Melendez indicated.

In all cases Customs may be looking for evidence of how much you paid for it. Duty on Kayaks is 2.7%, calculated over the cost of the Kayaks plus the freight costs. VAT will be calculated over the above plus the duty.

If you need any further help PM me or post again.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I happen to be handling Kayaks from China for one of my clients ....... by the container load .......

If the value is realistic (and customs has a way of establishing the value ....) and shown on the package / documents, clearance should be a simple process.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement