Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Thanks for the replies :) I am pretty sure the Euros and USD prices are for comparison purposes as it said so on their website they are only for "references".

Another question probably a silly one :P When importing two items or more from the same website. Am I right to presume that they charge import duties/VAT on each of your items individually and not just charge you based on the total price?

Btw, I didn't know duty calculator was a paid service. Using the android app instead.

Import Duty and VAT are charged on a package as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

So.... those that got them - any good?

Know the battery is maybe an issue - but how do the compare speed-wise and screen quality to more expensive tablets?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RosAB

Great thread and very informative. I have a question myself about face cream I purchased from Wow HD. When I ordered the item I assumed it was coming from the UK, but I've since done a bit of research and found out that they have various warehouses around the world but most of their stuff gets sent from Hong Kong. As soon as I realised this I thought I was in trouble for VAT etc. Anybody thinking of buying from this site have to beware as they don't tell you on the website about where the item will be shipped from.

Then a few days ago my package finally tracked on the AnPost site and on there it has listed country of origin as Sweden, but it also says 'ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS'. Why would customs be looking into this itf it came from their Swedish warehouse considering Sweden is part of the EU??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

RosAB wrote: »
    ...face cream...Hong Kong.
    Why would customs be looking into this itf it came from their Swedish warehouse considering Sweden is part of the EU??

Just a guess - but random check for fake/counterfit stuff maybe?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RosAB

ozmo wrote: »
    Just a guess - but random check for fake/counterfit stuff maybe?

Maybe....it's as good a reason as any I can think of. I'll have to wait and see, but hopefully not as long as the 60 days that's allowed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I'm considering importing an electric guitar from America. The guitar will be bought at a sale price of $499 reduced from $1999. My question is will the VAT be charged on the original price or the sale price?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I'm considering importing an electric guitar from America. The guitar will be bought at a sale price of $499 reduced from $1999. My question is will the VAT be charged on the original price or the sale price?

Hello Schwiiing,

The value for calculating Duty and VAT will be the price you paid for the guitar plus the freight costs.

Duty will be 3.2% over the cost of the guitar plus the freight cost. VAT will be levied over the cost of the guitar, freight cost and duty.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Looking at buying a Chinese bike frame. Total cost is about €520. How do I calculate the tax on this?

Is it (520 + 3.2% of the 520) *23% for vat?

godtabh wrote: »
    Looking at buying a Chinese bike frame. Total cost is about €520. How do I calculate the tax on this?

Is it (520 + 3.2% of the 520) *23% for vat?

Be aware that there may also be anti dumping duty payable. On complete bicycles it is 48%. On parts it is likely to be less. I will double check later today and confirm. you also need to take the transport costs into consiseration

Hello Godtabh,

Having looked at the customs tariff, I strongly suspect you will be liable for 48% anti dumping duty over the Cost and Freight of the bicycle frame.

I would recommend to contact the tariff classification unit (tarclass"revenue.ie) and give the the details of the frame (material / composition AND (!!) name of the manufacturer in China) and ask them for an opinion and an indication if in their view Anti Dumping Duty would be payable.

There have been changes at the start of the year in the anti dumping regime and a lot of bicycle production is now coming from emerging markets like Cambodia, Tunisia, Malaysia etc.

I am sorry I can not be more definite in my answer. You might let me know how you get on ?

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Luco Zademann

What happens if you buy say a bicycle, in this a tricycle from China (yes, I can ride a two wheeled bike, no, I don't need stabilisers, lol) or a very cheap electric bicycle and it is under the amount which you have to pay duty, €120 or whatever. But you would never get the same item at the price here, or anywhere near it actually. Can Revenue (or is it Customs or are they essentially both the same?) put their own valuation on the item and say em, while you might have only paid €50 or €100 for it or whatever, we value it at x amount based on what it would cost here in Ireland? Can they do that? I don't see how they can place an Irish valuation on a product from China? Inquired with them before and I think, think, that they were saying something along those lines? Thanks.

What happens if you buy say a bicycle, in this a tricycle from China (yes, I can ride a two wheeled bike, no, I don't need stabilisers, lol) or a very cheap electric bicycle and it is under the amount which you have to pay duty, €120 or whatever. But you would never get the same item at the price here, or anywhere near it actually. Can Revenue (or is it Customs or are they essentially both the same?) put their own valuation on the item and say em, while you might have only paid €50 or €100 for it or whatever, we value it at x amount based on what it would cost here in Ireland? Can they do that? I don't see how they can place an Irish valuation on a product from China? Inquired with them before and I think, think, that they were saying something along those lines? Thanks.

Hello Luco Zademann,

Customs, in the first instance will accept the value declared, provided ;

1) The value is realistic
    2) The value can be backed up with a payment record (i.e. transfer of funds, paypall receipt etc)

Customs will have access to a wide range of databases on products (at EU level) and would be able to establish very quickly whether the value declared is correct. That is on the basis of factory prices.

Also, the value for duty is based on cost of the item(s) PLUS transportation cost.

Finally, bicycles attract an anti-dumping duty of 48% on top of the regular duty. I am not sure if the € 121.00 value below which duty is not payable also applies to the anti dumping duty (I suspect not).

I have always found that importing bicycles from China is not worth the effort in view of the antidumping duty. There are other countries (like Cambodia, Tunisia etc) that do not attract anti dumping duty. You might be better of looking at suppliers in those type of countries.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Luco Zademann

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Luco Zademann,

Customs, in the first instance will accept the value declared, provided ;

1) The value is realistic
    2) The value can be backed up with a payment record (i.e. transfer of funds, paypall receipt etc)

Customs will have access to a wide range of databases on products (at EU level) and would be able to establish very quickly whether the value declared is correct. That is on the basis of factory prices.

Also, the value for duty is based on cost of the item(s) PLUS transportation cost.

Finally, bicycles attract an anti-dumping duty of 48% on top of the regular duty. I am not sure if the € 121.00 value below which duty is not payable also applies to the anti dumping duty (I suspect not).

I have always found that importing bicycles from China is not worth the effort in view of the antidumping duty. There are other countries (like Cambodia, Tunisia etc) that do not attract anti dumping duty. You might be better of looking at suppliers in those type of countries.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Thanks. So what happens when you buy an item at a sale price I wonder? Not that this would be but I am just wondering? When you say customs can access a database, are they accessing a database based on EU prices for Chinese goods?

Anti-dumping duty? Heard about that before. Wonder if there is a way to know if I pay €45 for a tricycle for personal use (one of those ones for two people, driver in front and thingie at the back where a passenger sits), so that is €45 inc. shipping which is only a tenner, and I pay 23% VAT and regular duty, plus anti-dumping duty, how much would it all come to?

And what happens if customs feel the price I paid, would have receipts etc, is too low can they simply increase it? That's also what I don't get, increase it based on what? How much others have paid for this exact same model from the same manufacturer with the materials used and the same specs? Seems a hard thing to do if nobody else has imported that very same tricycle? I know what you are saying about the EU database but isn't that a bit like comparing Tesco value noodles for 15c with some other brand that's 5 times the price? Thanks.

Thanks. So what happens when you buy an item at a sale price I wonder? Not that this would be but I am just wondering? When you say customs can access a database, are they accessing a database based on EU prices for Chinese goods?

Anti-dumping duty? Heard about that before. Wonder if there is a way to know if I pay €45 for a tricycle for personal use (one of those ones for two people, driver in front and thingie at the back where a passenger sits), so that is €45 inc. shipping which is only a tenner, and I pay 23% VAT and regular duty, plus anti-dumping duty, how much would it all come to?

And what happens if customs feel the price I paid, would have receipts etc, is too low can they simply increase it? That's also what I don't get, increase it based on what? How much others have paid for this exact same model from the same manufacturer with the materials used and the same specs? Seems a hard thing to do if nobody else has imported that very same tricycle? I know what you are saying about the EU database but isn't that a bit like comparing Tesco value noodles for 15c with some other brand that's 5 times the price? Thanks.

Hello Luco Zademann

The databases they access are EU databases on Chinese ex factory prices. Bicycles are the most contentious, researched commodity. China has been accused by the EU for the last 25 years or more of dumping cheap bicycles (with Chinese Export Subsidies) into the EU market. Therefore, they know, by looking at the exporter and the type of bike, what the ex factory price for that make/model would be.

I would recommend to contact the Tariff Classification unit in Nenagh (tarclass@revenue.ie) and give them the details. Ask them to classify the product for you. I don't think there is a treshhold for anti dumping duty, so even if you stay below the € 121.00 you are likely to be liable for the 48% anti dumping duty. Bear in mind, you will also pay 23% VAT over the cost of the product, plus transportation cost, plus duty, plus anti dumping duty.

As I said before, if the declared value is seriously out of line with the ex factory prices that they have in their database (Chinese ex factory prices), you are likely to be challenged because bicycles ex China are simply a red flag in the computer systems for all customs authorities throughout the EU. And what customs doesn't know about bicycles would comfortably fit on the back of the proverbial postage stamp.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

How long does an item take to go through customs on average, I have a package that came over from the US and it has been in Portlaoise with no movement since Thursday morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

I'm interested in buying a basic household plastic container wholesale from Alibaba. This would probably be in an amount of 100 or so which should fit comfortably on half a pallet I'd imagine.
    The purchase cost is roughly €200.

What is the customs procedure for something like that and what am I likely to have to pay to clear it for collection?

panama wrote: »
    I'm interested in buying a basic household plastic container wholesale from Alibaba. This would probably be in an amount of 100 or so which should fit comfortably on half a pallet I'd imagine.
    The purchase cost is roughly €200.

What is the customs procedure for something like that and what am I likely to have to pay to clear it for collection?

Good morning Panama,

Can advise as follows ;

1) Rate of import duty on plastics is likely to be 6.5%. That is calculated over the cost of the product plus freight cost
    2) VAT is charged at 23% over the cost of the product, plus freight plus Duty. If you are a VAT registered trader, you can claim back the VAT paid on imports in your periodic VAT return

I would be careful about the shipping arrangements. Your supplier in China will get a really low cost for shipping the merchandise to Ireland. However, on arrival the agent handling the shipment on behalf of the Chinese forwarder will collect the difference between the cheap rate "sold" in China and the market rate - and then some.

Bottom line is, agree Free On Board Chinese port terms with your supplier and arrange the shipping from this end on the basis of a quotation issued before shipment takes place. Search for the terms "China Import Service Fee" on boards.ie to see some of the horror stories clients in Ireland experienced when the shipping arrangements were made by the supplier i China.

Feel free to post again or PM me if you need any further assistance

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

How much would a small new lens from japan cost? Price of lens 600 and shipping 30? Thanks

matsy1 wrote: »
    How much would a small new lens from japan cost? Price of lens 600 and shipping 30? Thanks

Hello Matsy1,

the rate of duty is 6.7% over the price of the lens plus shipping. VAT is 23% over the combined total of price of the lens, shipping and duty.

Please note, the company bringing in the lens (DHL/TNT/FEDEX/An Post) may charge a fee of upto 15 Euro to process the payment to customs.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

Hello Matsy1,

the rate of duty is 6.7% over the price of the lens plus shipping. VAT is 23% over the combined total of price of the lens, shipping and duty.

Please note, the company bringing in the lens (DHL/TNT/FEDEX/An Post) may charge a fee of upto 15 Euro to process the payment to customs.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Thanks alot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm thinking of buying a DVD box set from the US through eBay, value is $75. On the eBay site, it says that the item is covered by Global Shipping which will cost $20 extra, but this will cover import duties, taxes etc and I will have no further charges to pay, upon delivery of the box set. Does anyone know if this is true ? ie I wont have to pay any vat charges to Irish Revenue etc, when the item arrives ? By the way, the same box set is available on UK eBay for £112 ! But at least, there would be no further charges as it would be coming from the UK. I don't want to think Im getting a bargain from the US and then find out, I owe a small fortune in VAT. Thanks for any prompt replies as Im thinking of making the purchase this weekend.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm thinking of buying a DVD box set from the US through eBay, value is $75. On the eBay site, it says that the item is covered by Global Shipping which will cost $20 extra, but this will cover import duties, taxes etc and I will have no further charges to pay, upon delivery of the box set. Does anyone know if this is true ? ie I wont have to pay any vat charges to Irish Revenue etc, when the item arrives ? By the way, the same box set is available on UK eBay for £112 ! But at least, there would be no further charges as it would be coming from the UK. I don't want to think Im getting a bargain from the US and then find out, I owe a small fortune in VAT. Thanks for any prompt replies as Im thinking of making the purchase this weekend.

Hello Galtee boy.

Have a look at the original post on the first page of this thread. That should answer all your questions.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Hello Galtee boy.

Have a look at the original post on the first page of this thread. That should answer all your questions.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Thanks Rudolf289, but that first page of this thread is nearly 4 years old and I don't think this Global Shipping system that eBay is using now, was there then, so Im still no wiser !

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

....it says that the item is covered by Global Shipping which will cost $20 extra, but this will cover import duties, taxes etc and I will have no further charges to pay, upon delivery of the box set. Does anyone know if this is true ?....

That is how it works, yes.

I have heard, maybe it was on this forum, that on rare occasions the delivery agent this side has tried to collect the vat, fees etc again, but this has been sorted out by contacting the company who operate the Global Shipping Program.

That is how it works, yes.

I have heard, maybe it was on this forum, that on rare occasions the delivery agent this side has tried to collect the vat, fees etc again, but this has been sorted out by contacting the company who operate the Global Shipping Program.

Thanks for your help. I've taken the plunge and bought the box set, will find out about Global Shipping in or around May 10th, when delivery is due !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the same box set is available on UK eBay for £112 !
    It is probably a different region, you should make sure you will have no region issues buying outside your zone. Also the content can often vary between regions. Some might have more content, some less.

I am wary of buying dvds via ebay due to fakes.

how much am i gonna pay DHL on a order for 313 dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

how much am i gonna pay DHL on a order for 313 dollars

Does that include shipping ? What are the goods ? These things will make a difference to what you have to pay.

Check out the first post in this thread for more info and link to a duty calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Medceltic

Hunting for a DSLR of "€1400" within EU. should I pay Customs TAX ??
    Did same thing ... but bought it from China. €520 was Customs Duty fees and tax. I had to send back the parcel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing some art supplies, easels & brushes from the US:
    Cost of goods is $734.80
    Shipping is: $160 via FedEx Economy.
    Could anyone clarify how much vat, duty and any other fees I might get upon arrival in Ireland.
    Thanks so much.

Advertisement