Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Apologies for the bump but just wondering if anyone had bought from a company that uses the USPS to fulfil the delivery.

Looking at picking up a few shirts, cost including shipping is $126, by my reckoning that will leave me with a VAT bill of about €25.

Is that the only bill I'll be facing or is there some kind of admin fee I'll need to budget for aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

P_1 wrote: »
    ...Is that the only bill I'll be facing or is there some kind of admin fee I'll need to budget for aswell?

If delivered by An Post, they charged me a six euro admin fee around six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Have anyone used FEDEX ''custom charges pre-payment '' ?I need to get some car parts US.I found website www.rockauto.com and they offer fedex shipping and I can prepay VAT with Fedex.Customs duty doesnt apply as parts incl shipping are117.32€ + VAT 23.98 (23%) wich is fine with me.What is worrying me that even If I pre pay all duties fedex still might charge 12€ admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

P_1 wrote: »
    Apologies for the bump but just wondering if anyone had bought from a company that uses the USPS to fulfil the delivery.

Looking at picking up a few shirts, cost including shipping is $126, by my reckoning that will leave me with a VAT bill of about €25.

Is that the only bill I'll be facing or is there some kind of admin fee I'll need to budget for aswell?

In addition to VAT and an admin fee charged by An Post (which seems to be indeed 6.00) you would also be liable for Duty @ 12%. The VAT is calculated over the combined cost of the invoice value + duty.

Proforma calculation, based on the current published Customs rate of exchange is as follows ;

Us$ 126 @ 1.2259 = Euro 102.78
    @ 12% Duty = Euro 12.33
    Subtotal 102.78 + 12.33 = Euro 115.11
    @ 23% VAT = Euro 26.48

Plus then the admin fee from An Post.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Beano wrote: »
    there shouldnt be an admin fee. the package will be customs cleared before it is handed to an post.

It actually will be cleared by An Post. They pay the duty and vat to Customs. For pre paying the duty / vat and the consequently administration they, like any other carrier are charging a fee. Not sure who you think is processing the customs entry. The elfs have left with Santa ..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Hello :)

My 6 year old daughter received an invoice from Fed Ex from a Christmas present her uncle sent from America.

What's the story here? Do we have to pay? I phoned them to be told to send proof of her age via email, I did that in the form of a photo of her holding her passport :) to get a reply today saying it is a valid charge. They are looking for €52!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

michellie wrote: »

My 6 year old daughter received an invoice from Fed Ex from a Christmas present her uncle sent from America.

What's the story here? Do we have to pay? I phoned them to be told to send proof of her age via email, I did that in the form of a photo of her holding her passport :) to get a reply today saying it is a valid charge. They are looking for €52!

Afraid there's nothing you can do. Gifts are liable for the same charges as regular purchases if the customs value (value of item + shipping cost) is over 45 euro.

On the Fedex invoice what is the breakdown of the costs? I too received one recently. The value was declared as €42 but they added another €35 euro onto it in the box marked 'statistical value' so I paid charges on €77 instead of the declared amount. Not sure what this is but I think it may be their estimated shipping cost.

Breakdown
    Vat 17
    Admin fee 10.75
    Vat on Admin fee 2.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Obviously you have to pay, otherwise parents would just use their kids names to send parcels etc.

Any idea what happens if I refuse to pay?

I didn't request this package, I don't see why I should have to pay for it. I would if I genuinely ordered something.

Not sure what the price breakdown is,don't have it to hand, I know there is VAT and admin fees on it.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Obviously you have to pay, otherwise parents would just use their kids names to send parcels etc.

This happened before, it was a few years ago, same thing - present to my daughter from her uncle in America. Not sure where the invoice came from but they write it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Any idea what happens if I refuse to pay?

I didn't request this package, I don't see why I should have to pay for it. I would if I genuinely ordered something.

Returned to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Returned to sender.

Except the package is already delivered. That's how fedex do it. They just give it to you and mail an invoice about 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They can pass on the debt to a debt collector most likely, but at that value it might be ignored.

Wonder why they dont do COD like the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 davykeating

hi guys.
    I was talking to a fella that imports free to air boxes from China maybe 15 a month. He said he has been doing so for about two years and the only time he got caught and had to pay customs was when he ordered 20 at once. His usual order was 5.
    Is it possible if you order small amounts you might not have to pay chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

hi guys.
    I was talking to a fella that imports free to air boxes from China maybe 15 a month. He said he has been doing so for about two years and the only time he got caught and had to pay customs was when he ordered 20 at once. His usual order was 5.
    Is it possible if you order small amounts you might not have to pay chargers?

Yup. I import some stuff from there but only on small batches so that I wont end up paying some silly taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 davykeating

Ok thanks. this might sound stupid but small in size or small in number?
    I was looking at bringing in t shirts and small wooden children's toys?
    who did you important you stuff from?
    I have been looking on Alibaba.com

Small in size and small in numbers. Trying to bring wooden toys from China or the east will probably not work unless you the taxes due to their size. As for t-shirts etc. clothing, the prices are ridiculous as you can never beat penneys with the price and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Stupify

Hi Guys, just wondering about the VAT on imported books. I'm looking at ordering a few art books from a store located in Japan and I was under the assumption that books are VAT exempt, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Hi, I just received a parcel today that for some reason had VAT and handling of €16 levied on it. The parcel was from Zavvi and clearly labelled with the yellow sticker stating that it contains goods sold between EU countries, which is correct as it came from the UK and contained UK bluray film.

I will be calling Customs about this tomorrow is there anything that I should be aware of in doing so?

Zavvi used to ship from the Guernsey in Channel Islands, so their stuff was always likely to be hit for vat etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Zavvi used to ship from the Guernsey in Channel Islands, so their stuff was always likely to be hit for vat etc.

They still do. I am also aware the Channel Islands are outside the EU, but also as stated the parcel was clearly labeled that the VAT had been paid and was marked with the yellow sticker stating that it was goods from purchased from an EU country, the UK, to another EU country and as such no further tax/duty charges should be levied.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 auditray2007

I was sent a replacement for a damaged item with a value of $69. The original was not sent back as it would cost almost as much to do so as it actually costs. The shipper made this decision not me. I received an invoice with a zero balance showing before the item was shipped. I took delivery of the item from Fedex and about a week later I got a bill for duties/taxes of €7 approx. I explained my situation but to no avail. I emailed them and informed them that I was taking it up with Irish customs! I contacted revenue and they said I have to pay because its classed as a new delivery. I wrote and visited them and was told to wait on a call from them. Next thing I get a bill from control accounts plc for €31.80
    I have always received a call from fedex before taking delivery of stuff but this time it was not until after the delivery took place I heard from them by mail! This took any attempt at doing something about it out of my hands.
    Is there any way around this does anybody know. I already paid duties etc on the original shipment and had I known there was a charge I could have got a letter to prove it cost me nothing. This happened before and duties were waived!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chrispidge123

Stupid question but I have to ask. - there is an iphone wholesaler I come across on Instagram looks pretty legit comes with box,sim free and that kinda jazz,accepts PayPal etc.. But,I am paying $170(€200) for an iPhone 5s which retails in Ireland for about 550-600. I asked him will I have to pay a customs fee or something along those lines and he said he will cover that,I am not so sure. Can somebody please tell me how much this will cost,and will I have to pay more. Thank you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just wondering.

My brother in law was in San Fran for a week at the start of the year for work. Turns out he left his fitbit at his hotel. Some one in the US is going to post it back for him (could be posted back already). WIll he be liable for tax?

....there is an iphone wholesaler I come across on Instagram......

I would be very wary of this, and of any supposed "wholesaler" of iphones in general offering such good discounts.

Stupid question but I have to ask. - there is an iphone wholesaler I come across on Instagram looks pretty legit comes with box,sim free and that kinda jazz,accepts PayPal etc.. But,I am paying $170(€200) for an iPhone 5s which retails in Ireland for about 550-600. I asked him will I have to pay a customs fee or something along those lines and he said he will cover that,I am not so sure. Can somebody please tell me how much this will cost,and will I have to pay more. Thank you.

Those are ALWAYS scams. Use Ebay or Amazon if you want to get covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Run as far away as you can from this as fast as you can.

godtabh wrote: »
    Just wondering.

My brother in law was in San Fran for a week at the start of the year for work. Turns out he left his fitbit at his hotel. Some one in the US is going to post it back for him (could be posted back already). WIll he be liable for tax?

No. Don't be silly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 auditray2007

I was sent a replacement for a damaged item with a value of $69. The original was not sent back as it would cost almost as much to do so as it actually costs. The shipper made this decision not me. I received an invoice with a zero balance showing before the item was shipped. I took delivery of the item from Fedex and about a week later I got a bill for duties/taxes of €7 approx. I explained my situation but to no avail. I emailed them and informed them that I was taking it up with Irish customs! I contacted revenue and they said I have to pay because its classed as a new delivery. I wrote and visited them and was told to wait on a call from them. Next thing I get a bill from control accounts plc for €31.80
    I have always received a call from fedex before taking delivery of stuff but this time it was not until after the delivery took place I heard from them by mail! This took any attempt at doing something about it out of my hands.
    Is there any way around this does anybody know. I already paid duties etc on the original shipment and had I known there was a charge I could have got a letter to prove it cost me nothing. This happened before and duties were waived!

Do these debt collectors have and jurisdiction in Ireland??

• Advertisement

Do these debt collectors have and jurisdiction in Ireland??

They do have jurisdiction here, but unless the value is more than couple of hundred euros, they won't/can't sue you, so be assured. :)

Advertisement