Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I have to return an item to China, I was sent the wrong model of a phone.

Initially I was charged €53.25 customs fees i paid this to DHL payments, my question is will be charged again when they return the item if I am I may as well just get a refund and be done with it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Bought something cheap from China and got it shipped by DHL as needed it fast and didn't cost much extra. Seller contacted me saying that they had to declare value at minimum of $28 to EU countries or DHL won't accept the shipment. Didn't give me a chance to change my mind though..

Looks like DHL want to ensure they can collect their 10e admin fee on every delivery even if value is lower. Sure enough, got a text from DHL asking for payment of vat/duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bod333

I have recently returned from NZ and before leaving NZ i sent home a lot of items. One of which was my laptop and when it arrived in Ireland i was hit with a bill for VAT.

I read on this blog that the only time you may be exempt from vat is if you are relocating from outside the EU to Ireland which i am. I am slightly confused here at to weather i should be paying VAT on my laptop or not, Can you please clear this up for me.

If it helps, i had the post sent by NZ post and was delivered by express delivery from DHL to my home in Clare. I had to pay about 150NZD to send it and then was charged a further 138euro by customs on this end. NZ post did not ask me for much details about it, just the value and description of the item.

Can you advise if i should be exempt from paying VAT on this or not? Please.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chimina

Hi,

I ordered a small item from the states worth a about €20ish. As it had been recommended

They shipped it via UPS and UPS have presented me with a bill of €45.

I'm not that pushed on receiving the item (i.e I can buy similar here for less that €30)

I haven't taken receipt of the delivery as they won't leave it without payment. Can i tell them to keep it, i don't accept delivery and you can shove your charges where the sun doesn't shine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

bod333 wrote: »
    I have recently returned from NZ and before leaving NZ i sent home a lot of items. One of which was my laptop and when it arrived in Ireland i was hit with a bill for VAT.

I read on this blog that the only time you may be exempt from vat is if you are relocating from outside the EU to Ireland which i am. I am slightly confused here at to weather i should be paying VAT on my laptop or not, Can you please clear this up for me.
    If it helps, i had the post sent by NZ post and was delivered by express delivery from DHL to my home in Clare. I had to pay about 150NZD to send it and then was charged a further 138euro by customs on this end. NZ post did not ask me for much details about it, just the value and description of the item.
    Can you advise if i should be exempt from paying VAT on this or not? Please.. Thanks
    Yes, you should be.
    You need to contact Customs and provide proof that they are your used property and that you are permanently relocating to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 duggansdynamos

Hi all,

My American wife just immigrated to Ireland. She shipped has shipped her belongings, we got a notification yesterday for one of the shipped boxes stating that there was a fee of 225 euro. There are 5 more boxes so I'm worried that we'll have to pay that on all the boxes. The contents are just her personal belongings.

I've read on forums that because she is immigrating here that she may be exempt but I haven't been able to find any credible documentation to support this. I'd appreciate your help/advice on this.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Hi all,

My American wife just immigrated to Ireland. She shipped has shipped her belongings, we got a notification yesterday for one of the shipped boxes stating that there was a fee of 225 euro. There are 5 more boxes so I'm worried that we'll have to pay that on all the boxes. The contents are just her personal belongings.

I've read on forums that because she is immigrating here that she may be exempt but I haven't been able to find any credible documentation to support this. I'd appreciate your help/advice on this.

Thank you.

Just download the form here and you don't need to pay: http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1875.html

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

And more info here as well for importing all your personal items to ireland: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 James Foo

Excuse me, I am now currently studying in Waterford for my 4th year from Malaysia, after graduating I will work for 1 year using the working visa(if i wanted)...
    So, I am just currently staying for around 1-2 years and is a student...
    I heard that you can get vat/tax exempted by using the reason of being a student and staying short term..
    The reason I am asking about this is that I am planning to ship my own keyboard (maybe monitor also?) from Malaysia to Ireland, including other things like food and etc... since europe's prices are so expensive...
    If i can get exempted then I will be very happy...

P.S If I can get exempted, then how about if I were to buy a new one from malaysia and ship it here?? (will remove packaging prior to shipping)...

I am shipping because my baggage is overweight prior to coming here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭AsianIrish

Hello,

I am buying some items for sampling and bringing them into Ireland from Pakistan. These are MMA and martial arts gloves, and general exercise items. They are about 400 Euros worth. I want to start a business if samples are approved.

Does anyone know if these items are subject to VAT and Custom duty?
    If so, how much?

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

AsianIrish wrote: »
    ....If so, how much?....

The first post in this thread has a link to a duty calculator that will give you a good idea of how much will be due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Had an experience with DHL recently.
    It appears that if the seller doesn't declare the shipping cost, they assess the shipping cost as the cost of returning the item to the country of origin.
    In my case the assessed cost of shipping was approx 6 times the actual shipping cost. DHL are the carrier at both sides and should know that.
    Vat is charged on the assessed cost of shipping and on the declared value of the item.
    I actually paid this amount, thinking that this package was a different higher value item that I had ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Am I missing something? :o

Always thought customs duty is the same within EU (when item arrives from outside EU duty would be the same).

Browsing ebay recently noticed something different. Let's go random auction -- http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181885208754 click on P&P tab and compare UK vs. Ireland:

366619.png366620.png

How the hell's that possible? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I'd be using parcel motel if that's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

joujoujou wrote: »
    Am I missing something? :o

Always thought customs duty is the same within EU (when item arrives from outside EU duty would be the same).

Browsing ebay recently noticed something different. Let's go random auction -- http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181885208754 click on P&P tab and compare UK vs. Ireland:

366619.png366620.png

How the hell's that possible? :eek:

VAT not customs duty. And it is simply a mistake in how the item has been listed. It should be adding 20% vat for the UK. It is showing the correct rate for other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AngryGoldfish

I just found out that you have to calculate the "statistical value", not the value of the package according to the sender. This includes their own made-up shipping rate, even if the shipping was free. I was charged €40 for an $80 package. €30 for the VAT—which includes the $80 value and DHL's seemingly randomly selected shipping charge overriding the sender's—and a €10 administrative fee. So free shipping isn't actually free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 zenga.m

i can only imagine what i'll be charged for an iPhone 6s delivery from states.. ffs.
    any ideas?

i can tell you now. they have told me already.
    it's f.n' eur190.
    that's robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I just found out that you have to calculate the "statistical value", not the value of the package according to the sender. This includes their own made-up shipping rate, even if the shipping was free. I was charged €40 for an $80 package. €30 for the VAT—which includes the $80 value and DHL's seemingly randomly selected shipping charge overriding the sender's—and a €10 administrative fee. So free shipping isn't actually free.

I'm told that, if the actual cost of shipping is stated on the shipping papers that vat is applied only on that amount plus the value of goods, if the cost of shipping is not stated, dhl decide the cost of shipping and apply vat on that inflated amount.
    If a parcel is shipped dhl to dhl, they have access to the actual cost of shipping and theres no excuse for inflating that by more than 400%
    2 parcels I recieved recently via dhl had the original shipping lable removed.
    If my source is correct, the persons deciding the vat ammount is not a customs officer but a dhl employee operating on commision.
    I've shipped my last item through dhl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kifi

Hi

I am thinking of importing a used guitar from the USA. It is from a private seller and the cost is $600. The thing is, this is a real bargain, and I am worried that i could be charged a whole lot more by customs based on the market value, which would be c. $1000

Any advice?

Thanks

kifi wrote: »
    Hi

I am thinking of importing a used guitar from the USA. It is from a private seller and the cost is $600. The thing is, this is a real bargain, and I am worried that i could be charged a whole lot more by customs based on the market value, which would be c. $1000

Any advice?

Thanks

hi.

i have paid VAT 23% of the whole price (price of the guitar + shipping) + eur7 handling fee.
    so in your case it would be more than eur150, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Hi All,
    I'm looking at buying laptop from the US for $1149
    Can someone confirm if you need to pay duty on this, some people say you don't on computers but can't find definitive answer. Also, is the VAT 23% of that total so it would cost me $1149 + $50 (shipping) + $264 (VAT)
    Is this correct I'd have to pay €249 upon delivery?
    Thanks again,
    Ciaran

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm looking at buying laptop from the US for $1149
    Can someone confirm if you need to pay duty on this, some people say you don't on computers but can't find definitive answer. Also, is the VAT 23% of that total so it would cost me $1149 + $50 (shipping) + $264 (VAT)
    Is this correct I'd have to pay €249 upon delivery?
    Thanks again,
    Ciaran

no duty is payable but the vat rate is 23% not 21%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 monacko25

Hi, could someone help, I'm thinking of buying 3 items (electronics) from china for 150€ each and delivery with DHL express it charging 300€ the total is 750€ . Now the Chinese seller told me that the custom duty it included in the price but not the vat. So my question is with how much will I get hit at the door from DHL, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

monacko25 wrote: »
    Hi, could someone help, I'm thinking of buying 3 items (electronics) from china for 150€ each and delivery with DHL express it charging 300€ the total is 750€ . Now the Chinese seller told me that the custom duty it included in the price but not the vat. So my question is with how much will I get hit at the door from DHL, thanks

hello monacko25

If there is no duty involved, you will be charged 23% over the cost of the product plus the shipping. In addition DHL would charge a collection/processing fee of between € 10.00 and € 15.00.

Just make sure that the shipping costs are clearly marked on the invoice that accompanies the goods and that they also mark the terms of shipment as CPT (Carriage Paid To) or C&F/CIF. Otherwise DHL will add their full tariff costs for shipping onto the value of the goods (likely to be significantly more than € 300).

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 12 monacko25

Thanks for reply and your help it just still a bit hard to comprehend what you're saying at the door I will have to pay 23% of 450 goods+ 300 delivery = 750€ wich is 172.5€ + handeling fee 15€ so 187€ and I have to make sure that on the invoice it shown CPT delivery and about the custom duty will the seller have to put something on the invoice that is payed, thanks

Thanks for reply and your help it just still a bit hard to comprehend what you're saying at the door I will have to pay 23% of 450 goods+ 300 delivery = 750€ wich is 172.5€ + handeling fee 15€ so 187€ and I have to make sure that on the invoice it shown CPT delivery and about the custom duty will the seller have to put something on the invoice that is payed, thanks

i would also make sure that the items are actually rated as 0% duty. I would never just take the suppliers word for this.

Hello Monacko25,

two important things ;

1. Your supplier has to show on the invoice : INCOTERMS - CPT (your location in Ireland).
    2. Your supplier has to clearly show the freight cost as a seperate item

In principle most computer / electronics parts are zero rated from a customs duty point of view. However, if there is duty payable on the goods and your supplier has included that in his invoice value to you then he needs to change the INCOTERMS to DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) and show;

- Value of the Goods (excluding duty amount)
    - Duty Amount
    - Freight Cost

Maybe, just to be sure you could ask your supplier to confirm the HS/Customs tariff code and we can check from this side if there is actually duty payable on your shipment.

Feel free to post again or PM me with the details

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement

Hello Monacko25

I would ask the supplier to confirm the HS/Customs tariff code. the first 6 digits of that code are the same for almost every country in the world (HS stands for Harmonised System). With the HS Code I can double check what - if any - the rate of duty would be.

If there is duty payable, and your supplier is paying for the duty, then the INCOTERMS change from CPT to DDP (Delivered Duty Paid).

Feel free to post again.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement