Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cpslane wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with ignorance, two things that he wasn't expecting. 1 was having to pay so much vat on samples. 2 the vat working out at more then he paid for the items not counting the shipping.
    He hasn't even seen the items yet other then pictures.

Vat and duty is paid on the price including shipping. He didn't do his homework properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cpslane

Still working out at 50% of the total of what he paid. so something that has no commercial value is costing him 50% in taxes. Homework or not at the end of the day he was trying to get off the dole and is not able to.
    Rightly or wrongly he had been advised by the officer in the back to work office he attends that he wouldn't have to pay vat on the samples he needed. so he wasn't expecting a pay now or your not getting them situation.

Still working out at 50% of the total of what he paid. so something that has no commercial value is costing him 50% in taxes. Homework or not at the end of the day he was trying to get off the dole and is not able to.
    Rightly or wrongly he had been advised by the officer in the back to work office he attends that he wouldn't have to pay vat on the samples he needed. so he wasn't expecting a pay now or your not getting them situation.

There is a procedure to be followed before you can claim relief for commercial samples. It must be done prior to importation. http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn83.html

to be fair the guy in the back to work office is not a revenue official. he is probably vaguely aware that there is relief available but a bit short on detail. 30 seconds on google would have found the answer your son required.

So is 50% of the total cost of the order the correct rate?. at the end of the day he can't pay the vat on his samples, and now stays on the dole.

So is 50% of the total cost of the order the correct rate?. at the end of the day he can't pay the vat on his samples, and now stays on the dole.

depending on the goods it could be about right. vat is 23% and duty is up to 13% and then there customs processing fees.

• Advertisement

even using those rates it means on top of vat and duty theres 14% processing fees. As i said at the end of thee day the goods get returned to the supplier. instead of letting him have them and giving him some time to pay the vat. it's a no win situation he is in.

even using those rates it means on top of vat and duty theres 14% processing fees. As i said at the end of thee day the goods get returned to the supplier. instead of letting him have them and giving him some time to pay the vat. it's a no win situation he is in.

while i sympathise couriers do not normally offer credit. The courier pays revenue for the vat and duty and then collects from the customer.

I understand that. After doing some more looking into it, as the items are a sample order there was a argument that they were vat free. he hasn't even seen if they are fully suitable for what he wants as these are the samples. He can't pay the vat without getting some finance, he can't get the finance with getting the samples in to make his product. so catch 22.
    Unless either he is given time to pay or they agree the samples are tax exempt.

Its looking like all his work over the past few months has been for nothing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd have to agree with others on here, it seems he didn't do the necessary homework on his business idea. Shipping via UPS or FedEx or DHL is going to to add considerably to the VAT and Duty payable, as well as to the cost. Having the necessary information in advance from Revenue, maybe setting up as a sole Trader may have helped his cause. Trying not to be harsh here, as I've been in the situation myself, but if he hadn't got his background work done at this stage, he may have lost a lot more further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its nothing to do with ignorance, two things that he wasn't expecting.

Do you read your own posts?
    Its looking like all his work over the past few months has been for nothing.

He didnt do all that much work though, or he'd have uncovered this and you wouldnt be posting here.

He should have:
    1. Found the items he wanted
    2. Completed the details linked to you twice in this thread
    3. Ordered
    4. Asked the seller to include above information
    5. Wait

Then the courier would see a valid exemption clearly laid out in front of them and this mess would be avoided.

Maybe he should look at doing a business/entrepreneurial course before attempting to start up a business. Im sure the FAS/Intreo can advise there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭DeadWeight

If this has already been posted then please delete this thread.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-3746_en.htm
    After 2021, all goods bought online by EU consumers from sellers outside the EU will also be subject to VAT, in line with current EU sales practices. While there may be a decrease in sales from outside the EU as a result of a more level playing-field in this market segment, trustworthy sellers from outside the EU should welcome the measures since it brings certainty over final pricing to their EU customers. Currently, a significant number of parcels are refused once they arrive in the EU by consumers as they are faced with additional VAT and clearance fees from postal or courier operators.

Why are you removing the VAT exemption on imports of small consignments from non-EU countries?
    Small consignments imported into the EU that are worth less than €22 are currently exempt from VAT. With around 150 million parcels imported free of VAT into the EU each year, this system is open to massive fraud and abuse, creating major distortions against EU business. Firstly, EU businesses are put at a clear disadvantage since unlike the non-EU businesses they are liable to apply VAT from the first eurocent sold. Secondly, imported high-value goods such as smartphones and tablets are consistently undervalued or wrongly described in the importation paperwork in order to benefit from this VAT exemption.
    Compliant EU companies – both online and traditional – are therefore put at a significant disadvantage, leading to mounting VAT losses in the EU. Removing this VAT exemption has been strongly requested by European e-commerce organisations, while other OECD members have taken or are about to take similar measures.
    Registration in the VAT One Stop Shop will be open to trustworthy sellers from outside the EU. All such traders will be able to designate an EU intermediary (such as a market place, courier, postal operator or customs agent) to deal with VAT-related compliance. It will be efficient because a large number of consignments are usually of low value and since most intermediaries are already familiar with the EU VAT system and procedures and have good relations with customs and tax authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Hi,

I am looking to order something from the US with a value of $170. Now I have the option of paying customs now as I order it with DHL for a charge of about 60 EUR. but i am unsure as to whether i should just pay it now and get it over with or take a bit of a gamble and see what charges fall when delivered?

Cheers!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to order something from the US with a value of $170. Now I have the option of paying customs now as I order it with DHL for a charge of about 60 EUR. but i am unsure as to whether i should just pay it now and get it over with or take a bit of a gamble and see what charges fall when delivered?

Cheers!

Using a courier such as DHL is going to add a big chunk to the value of the product, by way of freight cost, for customs duty and tax. DHL will also add in their charge of about €15 to do a customs entry and pay out the vat/duty on your behalf. Leaves about €45 for customs charges. I'd pay it in advance and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

whiterebel wrote: »
    Using a courier such as DHL is going to add a big chunk to the value of the product, by way of freight cost, for customs duty and tax. DHL will also add in their charge of about €15 to do a customs entry and pay out the vat/duty on your behalf. Leaves about €45 for customs charges. I'd pay it in advance and be done with it.

Cheers for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy some used academic textbooks from USA/Canada.

Would anybody know what is they story regarding having to pay customs on them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Hi all, how are you to know, or find out if customs have your package? I ordered a head torch from the states, according to the tracking with PostNL

09-11-2016 09:21 The item has arrived in the country of destination IRELAND
    07-11-2016 10:52 The item is on transport to the country of destination
    05-11-2016 06:32 Arrived at PostNL – Item not allowed (X-ray) and rejected
    02-11-2016 10:08 The item is processed at the PostNL sorting center
    02-11-2016 10:08 The item is at the PostNL sorting center
    31-10-2016 03:40 The item is ready for shipment
    25-10-2016 19:01 The Item is at the shippers warehouse
    25-10-2016 15:59 The item is pre-advised

PostNL have said its a gateway parcel so they just forward it on, and to contact the sender, who has not responded to my last two emails. So if customs have it how can I find out? All advice grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

last week I ordered a small clothing haul from Taobao. Nothing branded just some basic tshirts and hoodies. Tracked the package and got this:

2016-12-19 19:12 PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS, ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS
    2016-12-19 19:12 PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS, ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER
    2016-12-19 19:11 PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS, ITEM RECEIVED

Just wondering if I'll be charged customs duty or is this just a routine inspection?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Hi all, how are you to know, or find out if customs have your package? I ordered a head torch from the states, according to the tracking with PostNL

07-11-2016 10:52 The item is on transport to the country of destination
    05-11-2016 06:32 Arrived at PostNL – Item not allowed (X-ray) and rejected
    02-11-2016 10:08 The item is processed at the PostNL sorting center
    02-11-2016 10:08 The item is at the PostNL sorting center
    31-10-2016 03:40 The item is ready for shipment
    25-10-2016 19:01 The Item is at the shippers warehouse
    25-10-2016 15:59 The item is pre-advised

PostNL have said its a gateway parcel so they just forward it on, and to contact the sender, who has not responded to my last two emails. So if customs have it how can I find out? All advice grateful

You can contact anpost to check if they actually receive it, is that tracking from the Anpost website? To check if item is been pass to Customs, there's an email address for revenue in the mail center, but can't find it right now.

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

last week I ordered a small clothing haul from Taobao. Nothing branded just some basic tshirts and hoodies. Tracked the package and got this:

2016-12-19 19:12 PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS, ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS
    2016-12-19 19:12 PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS, ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER
    2016-12-19 19:11 PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS, ITEM RECEIVED

Just wondering if I'll be charged customs duty or is this just a routine inspection?

Cheers.

Doesn't make a difference if they are branded or not, customs still applies, customs is calculated on the full amount paid on item+postage, after you need to add €7 for anpost admin charge.

If they were fake they would be destroyed.

Thanks. Just wondering as it's the first time it's happened to me and I've got quite a few things from Taobao before.

Just to update; Tracking now says it was released from customs this afternoon. Can I expect delivery tomorrow?

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »
    You can contact anpost to check if they actually receive it, is that tracking from the Anpost website? To check if item is been pass to Customs, there's an email address for revenue in the mail center, but can't find it right now.

Thanks for the reply, its actually from PostNL which is in the Netherlands, the package originally came from the States, PostNl say its in this country, the seller won't respond to my emails anymore. I guess Ill give customs a ring to see if they have it. If its disappeared altogether any ideas how to get a refund? Like I said the seller won't reply, i bought it with the credit card, I wonder would they refund ?

Ah well looks like no head torch for moi :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply, its actually from PostNL which is in the Netherlands, the package originally came from the States, PostNl say its in this country, the seller won't respond to my emails anymore. I guess Ill give customs a ring to see if they have it. If its disappeared altogether any ideas how to get a refund? Like I said the seller won't reply, i bought it with the credit card, I wonder would they refund ?

Ah well looks like no head torch for moi :rolleyes:

Can you track it on the Anpost website? All my previous parcels and also parcel from above poster, when it is send to customs it's on the anpost website. If not track on anpost I don't think it reached Ireland.

Can you track it on the Anpost website? All my previous parcels and also parcel from above poster, when it is send to customs it's on the anpost website. If not track on anpost I don't think it reached Ireland.

An post say they don't recognise the tracking number

PostNL say that the package is ...

And they also tweeted me, when I queried it, and said it was in Ireland, so for now I havent a clue where to look except customs as it came from America
    :cool:

An post say they don't recognise the tracking number

PostNL say that the package is ...

And they also tweeted me, when I queried it, and said it was in Ireland, so for now I havent a clue where to look except customs as it came from America
    :cool:

That's strange, unless is some backlog and still needs to be scan by anpost, It could also happen that parcel arrived to Ireland, anpost gave it a new barcode but never linked it to the PostNL tracking, it happened twice to me, I don't think will go to customs until it's in anpost system.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's strange, unless is some backlog and still needs to be scan by anpost, It could also happen that parcel arrived to Ireland, anpost gave it a new barcode but never linked it to the PostNL tracking, it happened twice to me, I don't think will go to customs until it's in anpost system.

An Post have failed to track several items for me of late. Think they're being sloppy with the rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kheem

Hello!

I’m a student from Sweden that will begin my studies in Ireland this coming Spring semester. I’ve bought a phone for myself here in Sweden (an IPhone 7), but since they’re not in-stock and I’ll have to wait for the store to get it, it won’t arrive until after I’ve left Sweden for Ireland. Which mean that my family would have to send it over for me. Do I still have to pay the full rates for VAT etc, even though it initially belonged to me?

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 14.0px} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Kheem wrote: »
    Hello!

I’m a student from Sweden that will begin my studies in Ireland this coming Spring semester. I’ve bought a phone for myself here in Sweden (an IPhone 7), but since they’re not in-stock and I’ll have to wait for the store to get it, it won’t arrive until after I’ve left Sweden for Ireland. Which mean that my family would have to send it over for me. Do I still have to pay the full rates for VAT etc, even though it initially belonged to me?

You will not need to pay because Sweden is part of the EU, just make sure the package is insure in case it goes missing on transit.

Maybe check at cancelling the order and re-order on the Irish apple store as it could be cheaper if you need to pay for postage and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

Hi folks I have purchased a part for an 80's record player used on eBay. Thr total is € 150. The seller has first requested a VAT number, which I don't have and then a PPN, which I haven't sent. Hi making a customs declaration before he sends thr package, is this normal? I see IVAT is charged at 18%. Could he be doing things differently. I have nit had to deal with customs charges within the EU before on eBay purchases. At very least it will not be accepted at the parcel motel if there is an associated charge? Anyone ant experience of this? Thanks, Dave.

MOD: Merged

You will not need to pay any customs if the item is shipped from Spain, if the item is shipped from another not EU country you might be charge customs when it arrives in Ireland, If the item is posted from Canary islands not sure if you will have to pay anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

Thanks for your Response, I thought it strange to request a VAT number or PPN number from a private buyer. It's been posted to my house now to avoid any issues with Parcel Motel. I haven't had to pay customs charges before from purchases within the EU, the seller seems to think differently. I think he's mistaken.

Advertisement