Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If he's a big seller he does. Over 30K PA and he pays VAT to Revenue not the Spanish equivalent.

If he's a small seller (which sounds likely for TT parts) then he just pays the Spanish rate as if you were a spanish customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Moffett wrote: »
    Thanks for your Response, I thought it strange to request a VAT number or PPN number from a private buyer.
    you said it is spare parts, maybe he had been selling to business customers in the past who had trouble getting VAT back or something.

I have been asked for my VAT number on a few occassions ordering from EU countries since I get most stuff delivered to my workplace, and so they think its for business use when they see the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

It's possible he viewed the Parcel Motel address as a business address? I think it should get here okay at this stage. I'll post back and confirm if there were any charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

It's possible he viewed the Parcel Motel address as a business address? I think it should get here okay at this stage. I'll post back and confirm if there were any charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tin_chy

hi all, I bought a electric massage chair which costs about €3000 included transportation while I was in Hong Kong.
    I know I might have to pay import duty/VAT however I could not find what category is it belongs to on TARIC and could not find details in regards on import duty.
    Is that any items which bought outside EU will be qualify for exemption? or everything need to pay 23%?
    Did not expect that I have to pay €700 tax? Can I pay by instalment? If I not clearing up the tax is that mean I am not allow to collect my massage chair?
    Thanks in advance for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tin_chy wrote: »
    hi all, I bought a electric massage chair which costs about €3000 included transportation while I was in Hong Kong.
    I know I might have to pay import duty/VAT however I could not find what category is it belongs to on TARIC and could not find details in regards on import duty.
    Is that any items which bought outside EU will be qualify for exemption? or everything need to pay 23%?
    Did not expect that I have to pay €700 tax? Can I pay by instalment? If I not clearing up the tax is that mean I am not allow to collect my massage chair?
    Thanks in advance for help.

Probably fits into taric code 9401790000 which is Furniture, Other. No customs duty but 23% vat as you say. If you dont pay the tax you dont get the chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How is it being delivered?

If its a courier they may bill COD(Cash On Delivery) but its more likely they'll bill you after and give you something like 60/90 days to settle up.

As ohnonotgmail puts its, 23% + Handling fees (Depends on the carrier used).

I paid the company to transport it to me. I have to collect it at dublin port, my understanding...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ED E wrote: »
    How is it being delivered?

If its a courier they may bill COD(Cash On Delivery) but its more likely they'll bill you after and give you something like 60/90 days to settle up.

As ohnonotgmail puts its, 23% + Handling fees (Depends on the carrier used).

Thats big outlay. I would expect COD only for that money.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Thats big outlay. I would expect COD only for that money.

i would have to agree. Unless you have done business with them previously they are unlikely to give that much credit to an unknown. Especially given how difficult it is to recover debts of that size.

• Advertisement

OK thanks guys at least know what to expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Memory lane

I do a lot of shopping over the internet on various different websites, I think it's quite common these days. But one of the questions I always need an answer to is import duties how does it work like is it set up if you buy over a certain limit or is it specific items you buy or by country like if I am buying from the USA , Australia , Japan etc I would love to know how it works so I will know what I am charged before I buy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I do a lot of shopping over the internet on various different websites, I think it's quite common these days. But one of the questions I always need an answer to is import duties how does it work like is it set up if you buy over a certain limit or is it specific items you buy or by country like if I am buying from the USA , Australia , Japan etc I would love to know how it works so I will know what I am charged before I buy.

Very first post on this thread give the answers. There are allowances for duty depending on whether you bring it in personally, or have it shipped, and there is a lower limit of approx €6 where they don't collect VAT.

Basically, anything from outside the EU will be liable to

VAT and/or
    Duty. The duty rates vary.
    Certain items such as perfumes, alcohol, matches, oil will also incur Excise Duty.
    Certain products such as tyres or fabric from some countries may be subject to quotas.

An important consideration is how you get it shipped. Using express services such as UPS, FedEx, DHL or TNT will add considerable cost to the product for VAT/Duty purposes. Using the postal system should work out much cheaper, but will be a lot slower.

FYI, the way Duty/Tax is calculated is as follows:
    CIF value which is:
    Cost +
    Insurance+
    Freight
    =========
    Total x % Duty
    Added to CIF value.
    ============
    Total x 23% VAT.

Example
    CIF Value €100
    Duty @ 3%
    ========
    €103
    VAT @ 23% 23.69
    ===========
    Total €126.69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Woke up today with a lovely €42 charge on makeup ordered from the states with An Post delivering. Sister bought stuff from the same site to the same value and got away with it just a fortnight ago. I hate the unpredictability!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Always,always presume you are going to get VAT/Duty fees if ordering from outside the EU*. If your item arrives without any fees then consider it a plus.

*If you're over the € limits.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Always,always presume you are going to get VAT/Duty fees if ordering from outside the EU*. If your item arrives without any fees then consider it a plus.

*If you're over the € limits.

Good advice. A bargain turns sour really quickly if you're not expecting customs charges

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi,

I tried to read the description at the start but I am finding it a bit confusing. I purchased some kitchen items through ebay from the US. Price including postage was US $111.90

Posted through USPS. Can anyone estimate how much I might have to pay customs?

Its still on the way, departed San Francisco International yesterday, no updates since.

111.90 + 23% vat + €7 an post fee. Might be out of date on the an post fee. might also be customs duty depending exactly the items are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi,

I tried to read the description at the start but I am finding it a bit confusing. I purchased some kitchen items through ebay from the US. Price including postage was US $111.90

Posted through USPS. Can anyone estimate how much I might have to pay customs?

Its still on the way, departed San Francisco International yesterday, no updates since.

It will be about €25 plus €7 admin fee for Anpost.

That was quick. Nice one for the quick reply. Is there any chance ill get away with it? Or are all packages checked and subject to customs?

Thanks

If declare value is correct the chances are very high you will get charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

In general the only chance of it ''slipping through the net'' is if it is sent via USPS. Courier company's rarely slip up. If this is because they get fined themselves or get a 'bounty' no one seems to know for certain. I've seen both claimed here.

• Advertisement

That was quick. Nice one for the quick reply. Is there any chance ill get away with it? Or are all packages checked and subject to customs?

Thanks
    depends on many things, at least have gone normal postage, more chance of it slipping through and less additional admin charges.

I get stuff delivered to work and believe it makes a difference, i.e. they might think its for work use and VAT would be claimed back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I need to email customs to send a receipt, problem is i keep getting a failure notice, i'v tried yahoo and gmail, the address they gave me on the form is amc@revenue.ie, any ideas what the problem would be, i double checked the spelling and everything, also my item only cost 144 euro so should i have to pay a fee??

upinthesky wrote: »
    I need to email customs to send a receipt, problem is i keep getting a failure notice, i'v tried yahoo and gmail, the address they gave me on the form is amc@revenue.ie, any ideas what the problem would be, i double checked the spelling and everything, also my item only cost 144 euro so should i have to pay a fee??

I sent a mail a while back but was to dmc@revenue.ie

nava wrote: »
    I sent a mail a while back but was to dmc@revenue.ie

Tried this also and getting a failure notice, maybe someone could try a test email for me on both addresses?

upinthesky wrote: »
    Tried this also and getting a failure notice, maybe someone could try a test email for me on both addresses?

How long after you send the mail are you getting the failure? I sent them both a couple of minutes ago but nothing failed so far, I used a hotmail account.

What does it say in the failure, maybe try from another account? if using phone app maybe try computer or other way around or if on wifi try on mobile data.

nava wrote: »
    How long after you send the mail are you getting the failure? I sent them both a couple of minutes ago but nothing failed so far, I used a hotmail account.

What does it say in the failure, maybe try from another account? if using phone app maybe try computer or other way around or if on wifi try on mobile data.

Tried from outlook and it seemed to work, thanks for you help...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

thanks for this thread, i was half thinking of buying a Canon 6D from the U.S. but after clicking on the import duty calculator page it turns out nearly just as bad after the government get their slice. I was half thinking of chancing my arm and hoping for the best but a camera like that would get caught straight away i'd say. I could probably get flights over and accommodation and still have money left over for accessories if i sneaked the camera back.

after the brexit will the same be true buying stuff from UK, does anyone know? this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

breadbin wrote: »
    thanks for this thread, i was half thinking of buying a Canon 6D from the U.S. but after clicking on the import duty calculator page it turns out nearly just as bad after the government get their slice. I was half thinking of chancing my arm and hoping for the best but a camera like that would get caught straight away i'd say. I could probably get flights over and accommodation and still have money left over for accessories if i sneaked the camera back.

after the brexit will the same be true buying stuff from UK, does anyone know? this country!

I can see why you'd be thinking about importing. A 6D is a serious, expensive piece of kit. Nobody knows what's happening with Brexit, there might not be a customs union in which case you would have to pay duties on imports. Seeing as how you're thinking of going to the US, have you looked at grey market products? A Canon bought in the US isn't going to leave you with a warranty anyway so you might as well look at grey market Canons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 paulod123

I am getting some used clothes sent from the US to Ireland from a relative with a declared value
    under the Duty threshold of 150 euros via USPS. What if Customs dispute the declared value
    and deem them worth more than this. How can you put a value on a used pair of jeans or another used item of clothing?
    I know the term "used" is probably irrelevant in this case so can they value the items at the new cost if that is possible?

Thanks for your feedback.

Advertisement