Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

paulod123 wrote: »
    I am getting some used clothes sent from the US to Ireland from a relative with a declared value
    If this is a genuine gift it should be labelled as such, then your limit is €45. I would get them to include a personal note so it is believeable that it is gift, as I guess 99% of stuff labeled as gifts are not.

The fact it is used is relevant in that they would be worth less than new ones. I knew a guy who got stung for a used xmas jumper -which was not a gift.

As they will not be including an invoice I am not sure how it works, some declare values on the front for insurance purposes, but I am not sure if you are then supposed to take out insurance on them. There may be labels you can get that simply have a space to write a value.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If they put a list in with a nominal value on it, Customs might accept it. Put the senders address on it, the receivers address and sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 virul

They dont seem to have their emiail set up to recieve things like pictures, which alot of email reciepts have. i kept getting failure notices when i tried to copy and paste or attach a paypal reciept. It worked for me when i went into my paypal and copied and pasted the information from the purchase from there into my email as normal text.

Hope this helps someone 'cos its pretty frustrating trying to get them the information they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Just wondering what other people have done in this instance.
    Bought a mobile on Aliexpress, currently held by customs looking for invoice for value.
    Sender declared it as MP4 and put a value on it.

Just wondering if C+E check the contents value etc? or do they go on the valuation of the invoice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Just wondering what other people have done in this instance.
    Bought a mobile on Aliexpress, currently held by customs looking for invoice for value.
    Sender declared it as MP4 and put a value on it.

Just wondering if C+E check the contents value etc? or do they go on the valuation of the invoice?

I believe they do their own investigation and value accordingly. Particularly if something looks ridiculously undervalued.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They will follow the invoice if they think the invoice amount is reasonable; i.e. providing an invoice for 1 EUR on a Iphone is not going to fly and they will instead value it according to their view on real market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Nody wrote: »
    They will follow the invoice if they think the invoice amount is reasonable; i.e. providing an invoice for 1 EUR on a Iphone is not going to fly and they will instead value it according to their view on real market price.

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks,
    I got a phone for business use from the US that's not available in Europe. I got it off ebay, it was shipped via fedex and I paid import duties.

The phone was discovered to be defective so the seller has said I can return it for a refund.

I believe you can be refunded the import fees if returning an item, but I may actually want the seller to send a replacement instead.

Is it possible, to cut down on paperwork and all the rest, to just get the return recognised as a return and the replacement recognised as a replacement and not have to pay any further import fees and just have the fees I already paid cover any re-entry to Ireland?

Any feedback would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Got onto fedex anyway and got told the following:
    Nicola H: ( 0s ) James W: Hello, thank you for visiting FedEx.com I am James and will help you today.
    ( 26s ) Cormac: Thanks James, did you get my message on the chat form submission?
    ( 45s ) James W: Please can you confirm the first line of your address and postcode for security reasons
    ( 1m 8s ) Cormac: **********
    ( 1m 52s ) James W: Thank you, will this be a shipment that you will be paying for or is this being billed to the original shipper on the tracking number provided?
    ( 2m 26s ) Cormac: it's a return shipment, but I believe they want me to pay for it, but if you could please provide a rate based on their account?
    ( 3m 45s ) James W: I am unable to discuss the account holders rates with you unfortunately, but if this is something that you would like to arrange so this is charged to you, please log onto https://www.fedex.com/lite/lite-ship.html?locale=en_ie&cntry_code=ie#address and the price and transit will be available for you based on the details you will enter
    ( 4m 53s ) Cormac: I would like to do it as a return shipment though, I believe it needs to be done this way so I am eligible to claim back the import duties paid?
    ( 6m 59s ) James W: The account holder of FedEx can arrange this for you and the shipping labels sent to you, as this is a return shipment to the US we would need confirmation of the original tracking number ***********on the paperwork that is completed to prevent any import charges
    ( 9m 5s ) Cormac: I don't really understand, you're linked me to where I need to arrange and pay for the shipment myself, but now you're saying the account holder of the seller who shipped it to me needs to arrange a shipping label in order to be refunded the import charges paid on entry to Ireland?
    ( 10m 52s ) James W: Yes you can arrange the shipment on the link provided, or the account holder can be contacted to schedule this for you, as this was a temporary import into you and you are returning this, a refund if required of the duty and tax can be applied for by email ieinvoicequery@fedex.com
    ( 11m 44s ) Cormac: how log do I have to apply fo rthe refund of the duty and tax?
    ( 11m 48s ) Cormac: *long
    ( 13m 48s ) James W: You can do this now
    ( 14m 44s ) Cormac: I was actually thinking that maybe it would be better to wait, if the seller is able to replace the item, rather tha refund, then can they send the replacement item without it being liable for import fees again since I've already paid?
    ( 15m 9s ) James W: Okay please wait until this has been shipped back again, but please state the original tracking number this was sent to you on from the US
    ( 17m 35s ) Cormac: ok, so if I'm sent a replacement, you're saying I won't have to pay import fees again?
    ( 19m 6s ) Cormac: so it's better not to go to the bother of claiming the import fees back on the original shipment if I think I may be sent a replacement as I would only have to pay again, whereas if I don't claim a refund and the original tracking number is provided on the replacemtn shipment, then I won't have to pay import fees on the replacement shipment?
    ( 19m 12s ) James W: Yes that is all correct, please wait until you get confirmation that a replacement can be sent to you
    ( 19m 40s ) Cormac: Sorry, I sent another message before you finished typing your last, please check my message above your last message to confirm if this is correct also.
    ( 20m 0s ) James W: Yes that is all correct
    ( 21m 15s ) Cormac: ok great, and if the process ends up taking longer than expected and the seller may not have the appropriate replacement item in stock and I then want to apply for a refund from the import fees paid, how long do I have to apply for this?
    ( 21m 57s ) James W: Once you have sent the shipment back and received confirmation from the shipper to confirm if this can be despatched again, please re contact FedEx
    ( 22m 48s ) Cormac: ok, but if it it takes 2 months for them to receive a repacement item in stock in order to send it back to me, will this be a problem for example?
    ( 23m 20s ) James W: There is not a time limit that this can be applied for a refund through Irish customs

I just calculated the shipping rate without an account and it's about €90 :(

I don't think anpost will do it as it has a battery in it, but I'm just wondering now does it have to be done via fedex to be able to get the refund or the replacement delivered without getting hit for duties I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOD: Thread merged with sticky Import Duty/VAT Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I managed to break my work laptop screen/digitiser, awaiting a quote from HP but expecting to pay well over €600/700; a new one from US would cost €400.

If I buy this through my business, I assume I'm Vat exempt (I'm Vat registered)? What can I expect to pay re. duties etc? Followed a link to a revenue calc. from an old post but the link is now dead. Is there a current one?

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

https://www.blueowl.us/

Guys , If i buy clothing from this site will i get screwed by the import tax??

Burty330 wrote: »
    https://www.blueowl.us/

Guys , If i buy clothing from this site will i get screwed by the import tax??

Yes once it's coming from outside the EU you could be charge, unless the total including shipping is under about €25

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

nava wrote: »
    Yes once it's coming from outside the EU you could be charge, unless the total including shipping is under about €25
    Ok, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭smilgy

I won a competition for an item coming the from the US, thats valued at 58.99 USD. The merchant said I would have to pay for just the shipping to get it to Ireland, which is roughly 23 USD. I think the way theyre working the competition is I get a code for their website and purchase the item, for "free" and just have to pay the shipping fees. Is this considered a gift ? If not, the invoice I'll get will still be under the import limit.

Has anyone experience something like this or can shed some information ?

smilgy wrote: »
    I won a competition for an item coming the from the US, thats valued at 58.99 USD. The merchant said I would have to pay for just the shipping to get it to Ireland, which is roughly 23 USD.
    I don't know about this, but I have to ask if the item is legitimately worth $59, or is there loads of "winners" being asked to pay "only for shipping", i.e. is it tat worth $10 they are posting out for $10.

There are pages on revenue about promotional items but I am not sure if it covers this.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭smilgy

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't know about this, but I have to ask if the item is legitimately worth $59, or is there loads of "winners" being asked to pay "only for shipping", i.e. is it tat worth $10 they are posting out for $10.

There are pages on revenue about promotional items but I am not sure if it covers this.

The item in question is https://www.vistavapors.com/smok-alien-starter-kit. Pretty sure it is worth that much :D it was a competition on reddit to promote the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Provide the invoice of what you paid, they'll accept that. Below ?26 there's no collection of charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I know it's probably after being discussed...got an item of clothing from US based company, can't be got in EU it was ?100 worth. I got it about 6 weeks ago with FedEx and it was the quickest delivery I ever had from the US ordered on Friday got it the following Tuesday..
    Anyway today got vat invoices from FedEx which I was half expecting import vat was 25 euro not to bad....what I am pissed off about is the 20 euro administration fee ...why should I have to pay that..I already payed from delivery through supplier...do I have to pay the Administration ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

harr wrote: »
    I know it's probably after being discussed...got an item of clothing from US based company, can't be got in EU it was ?100 worth. I got it about 6 weeks ago with FedEx and it was the quickest delivery I ever had from the US ordered on Friday got it the following Tuesday..
    Anyway today got vat invoices from FedEx which I was half expecting import vat was 25 euro not to bad....what I am pissed off about is the 20 euro administration fee ...why should I have to pay that..I already payed from delivery through supplier...do I have to pay the Administration ?

Yes. Do you expect fedex to process a customs declaration for free?

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    .what I am pissed off about is the 20 euro administration fee ...why should I have to pay that..I already payed from delivery through supplier...do I have to pay the Administration ?
    You are paying fedex for their dealings with revenue. There is or at least was a limit to the amount they can charge, I thought it was around ?16, but there might be VAT on top of that, or it might have gone up in recent years.

An post charge ?7. Some US shops will pay the fees in advance so you do not have to pay an post or the couriers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fedex Customs clearance rates: http://www.fedex.com/us/ancillary/go/service.html

Check with your supplier, they usually pay to "Delivered uncleared", unless it's someone like Amazon who offer a "Delivered Customs Cleared" service. If it's uncleared you pay Fedex for outplaying Vat/Duty on your behalf and do the customs entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I'm waiting on a blu ray disc from the US. It has been shipped from Amazon in the US via. i-parcel. The current status is "customs clearance delay" as of Wednesday 24th. The total value of the item is less than €22 including delivery.

Anyone have a phone no. for customs for packages in Dublin Airport where I presume the package is?

I'm waiting on a blu ray disc from the US. It has been shipped from Amazon in the US via. i-parcel. The current status is "customs clearance delay" as of Wednesday 24th. The total value of the item is less than €22 including delivery.

Anyone have a phone no. for customs for packages in Dublin Airport where I presume the package is?

Clearance is probably done the courier company, you should contact them to check the status. If the total value is declared correctly on the package you shouldn't have any problems as nothing will be due on that parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ms vieria

Hi all

Quick one that I'm confused about

Ordered some t-shirts etc from new Zealand.
    Charge was 148NZD for the clothes with 20NZD delivery charge.

UPS charged
    vat 28.67
    Duty 13.36
    Brokerage 15.00

Looks like the vat was charged at 27% they used an exchange rate of 1.59. should it not be 23%?

Is duty charged when consignment value is under €150?

I knew I would have the pay vat at 23% and the brokerage just not sure what the extra charges are for.

Thank you in advance

ms vieria wrote: »
    Hi all

Quick one that I'm confused about

Ordered some t-shirts etc from new Zealand.
    Charge was 148NZD for the clothes with 20NZD delivery charge.

UPS charged
    vat 28.67
    Duty 13.36
    Brokerage 15.00

Looks like the vat was charged at 27% they used an exchange rate of 1.59. should it not be 23%?

Is duty charged when consignment value is under €150?

I knew I would have the pay vat at 23% and the brokerage just not sure what the extra charges are for.

Thank you in advance

you also pay VAT on the customs duty. the vatable amount is purchase price + shipping + duty. the total looks about right.

you also pay VAT on the customs duty. the vatable amount is purchase price + shipping + duty. the total looks about right.

Doesn't look right to me, there should be no duty as it was below €150.

rubadub wrote: »
    Doesn't look right to me, there should be no duty as it was below €150.

thats a fair point. they need to challenge the amount paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ms vieria

thats a fair point. they need to challenge the amount paid.

Hi all thank you for your help.
    Ups have issued me a credit note. They explained that if the delivery cost is not stated on the receipt they calculate using their base cost. That brought total above 150 in this case.

• Advertisement

ms vieria wrote: »
    They explained that if the delivery cost is not stated on the receipt they calculate using their base cost.
    I find it hard to believe that these morons cannot see what you actually paid using their own ID codes etc on the packaging. Cutting their nose off to spite their face, many people will not use them anymore if stuff like this happens or if people read of it happening.

I wonder if your item had been €5 would you have been charged -since the combined value of item & shipping is above the limit so they can get their admin fees.

The figures still do not make sense to me. If valued at over €150 then the VAT should have been higher.

The duty was not applicable anyway as the shipping costs are not to be included.
    3. Consignments of Negligible Value

Consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of ?150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. (Intrinsic value is the value of the goods alone, and does not include insurance and freight). Consignments not exceeding a total customs value of ?22 may be imported without payment of VAT. (Customs value is the value of the goods plus insurance and freight (which includes postage costs (CIF value)). However, it should be noted in particular that there is no relief (from Customs Duty, VAT or Excise duty) under this negligible value provision for importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcohol products, perfumes or toilet waters irrespective of their value.

I would certainly not be happy with a credit note for some crowd I would never use. It would be very rare that I would be sending stuff. I'd be reporting them to revenue.

Advertisement