Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ms vieria wrote: »
    Hi all thank you for your help.
    Ups have issued me a credit note. They explained that if the delivery cost is not stated on the receipt they calculate using their base cost. That brought total above 150 in this case.

what do you mean by credit note? i cant imagine an actual credit note being of much use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Forever Sunrise

Hi. I'm an Irish model-kit enthusiast and I'm curious whether or not a site I'm hoping to buy from qualifies as being in the EU or not. This site (gunpla.co.uk - can't provide an exact link due to being a new member) has an information section that claims they use SAL (Surface Air Lift) postage and that 'Order(s) will be shipped from UK, China, Japan or Korea depending on availability in respective countries.' on their Information page.

Based on this, I'd like to know if my items will be eligible for VAT or not. I sometimes buy from Japanese retailers, but the postage is always very high, meaning potentially exorbitant VAT for goods that can be under 10 euros. Finding an EU alternative would be great, but this Information page leaves me confused. Any clarification would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi. I'm an Irish model-kit enthusiast and I'm curious whether or not a site I'm hoping to buy from qualifies as being in the EU or not. This site (gunpla.co.uk - can't provide an exact link due to being a new member) has an information section that claims they use SAL (Surface Air Lift) postage and that 'Order(s) will be shipped from UK, China, Japan or Korea depending on availability in respective countries.' on their Information page.

Based on this, I'd like to know if my items will be eligible for VAT or not. I sometimes buy from Japanese retailers, but the postage is always very high, meaning potentially exorbitant VAT for goods that can be under 10 euros. Finding an EU alternative would be great, but this Information page leaves me confused. Any clarification would be appreciated!

Depends on where it comes from, if the company is UK but it ships from Japan you'll still be stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Looking to buy something from the USA and can't decide to go with Amazon or the vendor both have free shipping and the same price. If I go with Amazon they have the the Import Fees Deposit does that mean that I'll avoid the admin fee from the delivery company? Item is $200 so I'll have VAT and since it's electronice there should be no duty. Just don't want to get stung for any extra cash when it's delivered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Del2005 wrote: »
    Looking to buy something from the USA and can't decide to go with Amazon or the vendor both have free shipping and the same price. If I go with Amazon they have the the Import Fees Deposit does that mean that I'll avoid the admin fee from the delivery company? Item is $200 so I'll have VAT and since it's electronice there should be no duty. Just don't want to get stung for any extra cash when it's delivered.

Import fee deposit means you shouldn't have to pay any extra charges at all. Deliveried to your door and they take care of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I don't understand. If I bring a bottle of rum from the uk to Ireland I don't have to pay duty.
    But if the rum is sent through the post, I do have to?
    Even if it's from another EU country?

Like I say, I don't understand.

I don't understand. If I bring a bottle of rum from the uk to Ireland I don't have to pay duty.
    But if the rum is sent through the post, I do have to?
    Even if it's from another EU country?

Like I say, I don't understand.

There's a clause in the law that specifically gives you an allowance when carried personally.

Zero allowance applies when posted, sent by pigeon, fired over the Irish sea by catapult etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I ordered something from Japan and it arrived away grand but there something attached to it telling me to send a cheque for €21.something to Portlaoise for VAT charges. Is this a new thing? Any time i've been caught before I had to pay the postman directly before I could get the item

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I ordered something from Japan and it arrived away grand but there something attached to it telling me to send a cheque for €21.something to Portlaoise for VAT charges. Is this a new thing? Any time i've been caught before I had to pay the postman directly before I could get the item

a cheque?! wonder if they totted it up on their abacus...

Never heard of this before. I wonder if they are trying to speed up deliveries. Were you notified of the charge upon delivery?-and given the option of refusal?

It seems to me the tactic some couriers use is to just dump it on you and then ask for charges later -as they know it is far more likely to be refused delivery if it was declared at the start. Some companies tell you to refuse delivery as the cost of returning is often included in the price of delivery, so it is in their interest to not have people refuse goods immediately. Many are also refused as the couriers are estimating hugely high postal fees which VAT is applied to, even though they could easily find out the actual postage costs as its their own system.

Never heard of AP doing it. UPS used to collect in arrears but AP was always Pre-Pay/COD.

Is that 11+10€? Also, Cheque only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

ED E wrote: »
    Never heard of AP doing it. UPS used to collect in arrears but AP was always Pre-Pay/COD.

Is that 11+10€? Also, Cheque only?

Cheque/Money Order/BillPay/Cash is what it says

I'm supposed to send it to
    CHARGETELLER
    C-DOCKETS SECTION (ref:
    AN POST
    PORTLAOISE MAILS CENTRE

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trev001

Hi, would anyone be able to tell me how much I would have to pay to customs if I imported a collectible card from Japan that costs 210 US Dollars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Trev001 wrote: »
    Hi, would anyone be able to tell me how much I would have to pay to customs if I imported a collectible card from Japan that costs 210 US Dollars.

Please see the first post in this thread. It contains all the information you need to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I was expecting a parcel from China that should have landed in Ireland today but it's been delayed and now won't be into DHL until Tuesday.

Does anyone know the turn-around time from DHL assuming it gets stopped by customs (which I'm expecting).

The standard answer from DHL seems to be "It would depend if a physical inspection or paperwork inspection is requested ."
    It's electronics.

frash wrote: »
    I was expecting a parcel from China that should have landed in Ireland today but it's been delayed and now won't be into DHL until Tuesday.

Does anyone know the turn-around time from DHL assuming it gets stopped by customs (which I'm expecting).

The standard answer from DHL seems to be "It would depend if a physical inspection or paperwork inspection is requested ."
    It's electronics.

They are right. They don't know the status until they complete the customs entry and send it down the line. It may come back:
    Green - Cleared
    Orange - paperwork inspection
    Red - Paperwork and physical inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

whiterebel wrote: »
    They are right. They don't know the status until they complete the customs entry and send it down the line. It may come back:
    Green - Cleared
    Orange - paperwork inspection
    Red - Paperwork and physical inspection.

Thanks for the reply
    Any idea how long orange & red are taking these days?

Really need it by Wednesday evening but not sure it will happen given the BH weekend.

Edit: they said it "will be due to arrive in for delivery on Tuesday assuming there is no customs delays"

No idea. Probably busy after the B/H weekend as well.

I've a package being delivered by DHL tomorrow and I've been hit with a €40 bill. My problem is that the item is $70 including shipping so I'd be expecting the bill to be around €30. How do I appeal the extra tenner? I've already paid the money for the delivery.

I've a package being delivered by DHL tomorrow and I've been hit with a €40 bill. My problem is that the item is $70 including shipping so I'd be expecting the bill to be around €30. How do I appeal the extra tenner? I've already paid the money for the delivery.

If the shipper has put down a value of $70 and not mentioned shipping, DHL have to add freight on for VAT and Duty calculations. You can ask DHL for a copy of the customs entry to see their calculations and then take the query up with customs.
    They might be a bit sceptical of a value of $70 including shipping, via an express courier. Ordinary post would be a few dollars, but couriers are very expensive in comparison.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If the shipper has put down a value of $70 and not mentioned shipping, DHL have to add freight on for VAT and Duty calculations. You can ask DHL for a copy of the customs entry to see their calculations and then take the query up with customs.
    They might be a bit sceptical of a value of $70 including shipping, via an express courier. Ordinary post would be a few dollars, but couriers are very expensive in comparison.

The invoice I received was item for £49 and shipping $20, it's a free item for an issue I'm having.

I'll see what the shipping label has when it's delivered. Do I email DHL for the customs entry?

Thanks

• Advertisement

The invoice I received was item for £49 and shipping $20, it's a free item for an issue I'm having.

I'll see what the shipping label has when it's delivered. Do I email DHL for the customs entry?

Thanks

Did they break down the bill for you? It could be for their fee for doing the customs entry and paying the VAT on your behalf? That's usually about €12.50
    You should ring DHL and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭newmum62

Anyone experience in getting package delivered from USA to ireland?

I am thinking of purchasing a toy which is along the lines of a go kart but also very different_has similar seat but hand operated & much smaller. Not available in Ireland. Product cost is 50 dollars & similar postage cost. Just trying to figure out customs taxes them. Think it's vat at 23% but is it 23% of product cost or product & delivery and also tax but sgain, can't find out how much. Anyone experience that could advise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

newmum62 wrote: »

I am thinking of purchasing a toy which is along the lines of a go kart but also very different_has similar seat but hand operated & much smaller. Not available in Ireland. Product cost is 50 dollars & similar postage cost. Just trying to figure out customs taxes them. Think it's vat at 23% but is it 23% of product cost or product & delivery and also tax but sgain, can't find out how much. Anyone experience that could advise

all explained in the first post in this thread.

newmum62 wrote: »

If you read through the very first post in this thread, it should give you asll the information you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xhun

Hi,
    I was thinking now that addresspal is offering a US address, to purchase certain products from there that aren't available here, but I have no clue as to how to calculate the vat and duties that I'll be paying.
    one thing I have my eye on is a 50” Tuner Free TV (vizio.com/tvs/e50e1.html), which costs around 398 EUR ($469.99), 16.19 kg
    and 123cm x 76cm x 16cm
    I know it's probably not worth it with shipping + custom duties + VAT, but I have no idea how to calculate it.
    any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xhun

Thanks,

I couldn't find any info re Duty fees, it would be good if it is 0% for electrical goods,

the price did become a bit hefty there,

it seems addresspal will be sorting out the customs forms, don't know if their price includes handling fees or not,

but I guess the final price will stand somewhere around €600 which is around €200 more than the base price.

its probably not the best idea, however it's still tempting as it's the only Tuner Free TV in the market. assuming I won't have to pay the TV license fee, it might still be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The specifictions don't say if it is dual voltage or not so it's probably built for the American market and a 120v / 60Hz mains supply. It might not even work here.

Even with a step down mains transformer the difference in mains frequency might be a problem. You would need to check if it will work on our 230v/50Hz mains. If it would work with a step down transformer you would need to add its cost too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOD: Threads merged

Advertisement