Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gnilsiaIRE

you dont have that right. if you select free shipping the entire cost of the shipping including the vat element is removed from the order total.

Thanks for the reply. Dont know if this helps but hopefully this image will help explain what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

gnilsiaIRE wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Dont know if this helps but hopefully this image will help explain what I mean

subtract 3.26 from 311.49. the answer isnt 307.49

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gnilsiaIRE

subtract 3.26 from 311.49. the answer isnt 307.49

Lol I hadn't spotted that. I didn't even think to do the maths. I just presued they deducted 3.26 from it not 4. Thanks and sorry for taking your time but you helped clear it up for me. I couldn't wrap my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I just ordered something from Amazon, electrical toy.

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal: EUR 130,29
    Shipping & Handling: EUR 13,86
    Total before tax: EUR 177,31
    Estimated tax to be collected: EUR 0,00
    Import Fees Deposit EUR 33,16
    Grand Total: EUR 177,31

So does the part I've italicised cover the import duty, or will I have to pay more? I can't figure it out.

did you order from amazon.com or amazon.co.uk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

did you order from amazon.com or amazon.co.uk?

.com.

edit: actually I think I found out. From the Amazon T&Cs:
    When AmazonGlobal products are shipped to eligible countries, an estimate of the Import Fees will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. With your authorization, these funds are used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country ("Import Fees Deposit"). The payment of import fees is the responsibility of the importer and is levied based on the laws of the country into which the products are being shipped.

For AmazonGlobal items, you won't be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated. For items sold by Amazon Marketplace sellers, please check the seller's policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Having an issue atm. Customs have held a parcel from Amazon US since last Sunday, November 27th, the current status on the tracking number is "Customs clearance delay". I have not received a letter from revenue asking for the value and the parcel contains no prohibited items(2 bluray boxsets and a plastic model kit).

I can't see any reason for this delay other than the clowns at Fastway not bothering to pick it up.

Can anyone else help shed some light on this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Having an issue atm. Customs have held a parcel from Amazon US since last Sunday, November 27th, the current status on the tracking number is "Customs clearance delay". I have not received a letter from revenue asking for the value and the parcel contains no prohibited items(2 bluray boxsets and a plastic model kit).

I can't see any reason for this delay other than the clowns at Fastway not bothering to pick it up.

Can anyone else help shed some light on this?

Last time I got things shipped in from Amazon US it took a week to clear customs, and that was before the Xmas rush started.

Hi folks,
    I’ve read thru a good shot of this thread but can’t seem to Find an answer..

I’m looking to purchase ski gear from the US,
    I have a fairly substantial discount of 75% from an online shop,
    all above board nothing unusual going on,
    so my question, if the jacket cost 400 I’d be getting it for 100 with the discount,
    the shipping is with DHL Express where I’d pay shipping and charges etc,...and the checkout option says “This is the guaranteed amount of duties, taxes, and customs fees for your order.”

Considering the difference in full price compared to what I’d be getting it for would there be a chance that I could get hit for more excise,import fees when it gets to here,

Just checking as I haven’t seen how/if revenue calculate import charges on discounted/sale items

I hope this makes sense,
    Thanks
    Ed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi folks,
    I’ve read thru a good shot of this thread but can’t seem to Find an answer..

all above board nothing unusual going on,
    so my question, if the jacket cost 400 I’d be getting it for 100 with the discount,
    the shipping is with DHL Express where I’d pay shipping and charges etc,...and the checkout option says “This is the guaranteed amount of duties, taxes, and customs fees for your order.”

Considering the difference in full price compared to what I’d be getting it for would there be a chance that I could get hit for more excise,import fees when it gets to here,

Just checking as I haven’t seen how/if revenue calculate import charges on discounted/sale items

I hope this makes sense,
    Thanks
    Ed

If the exporter is guaranteeing the VAT/Duty element ask them if they’ll pay it like Amazon do. 75% discount might set alarm bells ringing for a one off purchase. How much are they saying the DHL express shipping is? I would expect that to be fairly sizeable too, which adds to the VAT/Duty amount.
    You’re probably better off getting clarification from Revenue directly, number is in the first post in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

post a link to the site (and item). Have you put in an order and gone to the very end and saw what the price was?

thanks whiterebel and rubadub for the quick responses.

this is what im looking at http://www.spyder.com/
    search Mens Leader
    search Mens Dare Athletic

links aren't working for some reason
    jacket - Pants

Before Discount
    Items: EUR 646.00
    Shipping: EUR 71.09
    Duties & Taxes: EUR 244.33
    Order Total: EUR 961.42

After Discount
    Items: EUR 646.00
    Shipping: EUR 40.72
    Duties & Taxes: EUR 67.43
    Order Discount: −  EUR 484.50
    Order Total: EUR 269.65

The shipping method is
    DHL Express
    Pay duties and taxes now

hovering over the shipping/duties buttons gives the following

Shipping
    This includes international shipping fees plus applicable handling, customs clearance, and parcel protection charges

Duties and Taxes
    This is the guaranteed amount of duties, taxes, and customs fees for your order.
    If you choose to pay duties and taxes upon delivery, you will be required to pay applicable fees to the shipping carrier upon receipt

This is a genuine discount, (i bitched to their customer service regarding a cancelled order and they gave me a discount on next purchase)
    its not an attempt by seller or myself to try avoid charges. they are a massive snowsports company, and well.. im no one.

the value of the goods is 646
    after discount is 161.5
    so the total is working out from 161.5 + 40.72 + 9% + 23% = 271
    the taric code is 6201 but cant see the excise. the 9% is a variable to make the sums work out

its too good an opportunity to pass up, and just curious if revenue would not care about the discount and just go by the full price.

It all looks like its being done right to me,
    but its my first time getting something from the US and don't want to get caught by revenue here.

like you said, i might just give revenue a ring before hand and see whats up
    thanks for taking the time to respond

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AB97

Hi I am about to purchase a watch from an american website, The watch and shipping comes to $172.99 with shipping included and I have a discount code for $20, So the total is $152 which is about €130. Can someone tell me what the price they think the duties and taxes will be and will it be calculated on the full price before the $20 discount? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

AB97 wrote: »
    Hi I am about to purchase a watch from an american website, The watch and shipping comes to $172.99 with shipping included and I have a discount code for $20, So the total is $152 which is about €130. Can someone tell me what the price they think the duties and taxes will be and will it be calculated on the full price before the $20 discount? thanks.

https://www.calculatevat.net/
    NET PRICE (without VAT): 130 euro

VAT (23%): 29.9 euro

TOTAL PRICE (VAT included): 159.9 euro

It will not be valued on the price they have it originally at, you will only be charged vat on the price that you paid and can prove on your invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SmartMonkey

Thinking of buying a 3D printer from China. Could someone confirm my math
    Cost = Cost of printer(€395) +23% VAT (€90.85) +9% duty(€35.55) = €521.40??

Thinking of buying a 3D printer from China. Could someone confirm my math
    Cost = Cost of printer(€395) +23% VAT (€90.85) +9% duty(€35.55) = €521.40??

(((cost of item + cost of shipping) + 23% vat) + 9% duty) + courier handling fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SmartMonkey

(((cost of item + cost of shipping) + 23% vat) + 9% duty) + courier handling fee.

Cheers. As it's free shipping and I see from previous posts, customs estimate shipping, I'm going to leave it. Not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

short question for ppl who know better, dollar has dropped now quite a good bit 1.2-$ so some good savings to be made buying stuff from US, thou main question is that vat kick's in at 22e- does that include shipping cost, say im buying item thats worth 20e$ and it costs extra 7-10 to get it delivered making total to smth like 30e.would i need to pay vat or would delivery cost would be excluded and only item priced in ? main places would be amazon or most likely ebay. thx for any input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

From revenue
    VAT due on total (30 euro @ 23 per cent)
    If your goods have a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of less than €22, you do not have to pay Customs Duty or Value-Added Tax (VAT). If your goods have a customs value of more than €22, you will have to pay VAT.

If your goods cost more than €150, you will have to pay Customs Duty and VAT. These limits are for the whole delivery (not just one item).

You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

If the VAT is €6 or less, it will not be collected.
    Example
    Calculate what you owe on goods you buy online

Goods cost: €500
    Insurance cost: €50
    Transport cost: €50
    Customs Value = €600 (€500 + €50 + €50)
    Customs duty rate of 5% = €30 (€600 X 5%)
    VAT @ 23% on €630 (€600 + €30) = €144.90

The total cost of import duties you would then have to pay is €174.90 (€30 + €144.90).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As above. Remember the handling fees will be €10-15 on top of the VAT charge itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Cheers. As it's free shipping and I see from previous posts, customs estimate shipping, I'm going to leave it. Not worth the hassle.

That only happens if the seller omits to put a shipping price on the invoice. If you ask them to include it, you will be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ok makes sense handling and shipping is included in price.thx

Suckit wrote: »
    If you ask them to include it, you will be okay.
    if you ask them to include it they still might not bother, in which case you are screwed. It is bizarre how sellers are so utterly clueless, and still grasp onto this laughably bogus "free shipping" marketing nonsense, which will often result in absolutely no future sales from that stung customer, and not only that, negative reviews from the stung customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

If you can prove the shipping was free can you claim the charges back?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I'm considering buying a second hand iPad off a US based private seller on eBay. From reading the first post I see that VAT is payable on second hand items, but does buying from a private seller make any difference. i.e. a private individual not selling regularly and not a business?

I'm considering buying a second hand iPad off a US based private seller on eBay. From reading the first post I see that VAT is payable on second hand items, but does buying from a private seller make any difference. i.e. a private individual not selling regularly and not a business?

no difference

no difference
    +1, and just to explain why, everybody and their mother would be claiming to be a "private seller" and/or selling pallet loads of "secondhand goods" if this loophole did actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kazama

Hi I've recently wanted to change phones from an iPhone 6s to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I looked around online and found some pretty good prices in the USA. My question is, how much is the actual import tax? Would I still be taxed for a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge? - The Site I'm buying from claims to have free shipping but it's likely they'll ship with UPS or DHL

I'm wondering because I ordered an iPhone 5s from the US before and I did not get charged. It was also factory refurbished.

Would you still have to pay import tax for factory refurbished items?

How much is the actual tax?

Would it be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOD: Threads Merges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kazama wrote: »
    Hi I've recently wanted to change phones from an iPhone 6s to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I looked around online and found some pretty good prices in the USA. My question is, how much is the actual import tax? Would I still be taxed for a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge? - The Site I'm buying from claims to have free shipping but it's likely they'll ship with UPS or DHL

I'm wondering because I ordered an iPhone 5s from the US before and I did not get charged. It was also factory refurbished.

Would you still have to pay import tax for factory refurbished items?

How much is the actual tax?

Would it be worth it?

Pretty sure US Galaxy S phones don't work here. The US gets a cheaper version with a snapdragon processor instead of the Exynos used on models here and less supported bands on the radio.

Advertisement