Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kazama

The one I'm getting is supposedly unlocked to Networks worldwide. The price difference is huge here and seems like a decent option in the US. I've checked online and you can get a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge just for $325 Dollars, that's €265 and it's in A+ condition which isn't a bad option considering that there's a 3 month warranty along with the phone offered by the supplier.

I've checked the UK and the price difference was massive. Ranging from 320 pounds to 450 pounds which is even more if converted into euros. The processor would be an issue but then again wouldn't make much of a difference as I need the phone for school and work, my iPhone 6s just isn't enough to fill my needs.

Today I visited several store with refurbished phones and the only phone around 260 Euro's was the Galaxy S6 edge and several iPhones. The Galaxy Edge 7 was 430 Euro even though it's factory refurbished, so the price difference is major here. I'm sure I could get someone to change the processor after I purchase it as long as it's decent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kazama wrote: »
    Hi I've recently wanted to change phones from an iPhone 6s to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I looked around online and found some pretty good prices in the USA. My question is, how much is the actual import tax? Would I still be taxed for a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge? - The Site I'm buying from claims to have free shipping but it's likely they'll ship with UPS or DHL

I'm wondering because I ordered an iPhone 5s from the US before and I did not get charged. It was also factory refurbished.

Would you still have to pay import tax for factory refurbished items?

How much is the actual tax?

Would it be worth it?

Cost + Freight @ 23%. If Fedex UPS or DHL add on about €15 for customs clearance. If its an Post €10. US Sellers will offer free shipping in the US on the likes of UPS ground service which is cheap, but it would be their express service to Ireland which will be expensive and is used in the calculations for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

sorry if this is repeating past posts etc but I tried to look up the vat websites revenue etc and can't find a proper import tax calculator.

I was thinking of buying jewellery from the US. Say for example it costs $1000 what would the vat/import duty on it?

Or can someone tell me the exact vat % charged and customs so I can work it out.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

foxy_j wrote: »
    sorry if this is repeating past posts etc but I tried to look up the vat websites revenue etc and can't find a proper import tax calculator.

I was thinking of buying jewellery from the US. Say for example it costs $1000 what would the vat/import duty on it?

Or can someone tell me the exact vat % charged and customs so I can work it out.

Thanks in advance.

4% duty plus 23% vat as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks in advance.
    https://www.calculatevat.net/

+ handling charge which differs by company.
    An Post = €10
    DHL (and most other couriers) = €15

• Advertisement

Thank you for replying. <SNIP> Or perhaps refurbished items have a smaller percentage of tax to pay? Because it's kind of pointless to buy something if your going to be taxed as much as the new thing.

But if it's only 23% then perhaps I can manage. One question though, I've purchased an iPhone 5s which was refurbished. It was exported and imported to Ireland but I did not get taxed, what's the difference?

<SNIP> also why was my iPhone 5s not taxed when it was imported to Ireland? It came for the USA so I'm wondering why it never got taxed.

MOD:Before you post again, have a look at the very first line in the first post in this thread. Please also have a look through the charter. Its a good idea to do this before posting in any forum on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thank you for replying. Is there anyway to avoid tax? Or perhaps refurbished items have a smaller percentage of tax to pay? Because it's kind of pointless to buy something if your going to be taxed as much as the new thing.

But if it's only 23% then perhaps I can manage. One question though, I've purchased an iPhone 5s which was refurbished. It was exported and imported to Ireland but I did not get taxed, what's the difference?

If I buy with another shipping company other than DHL can I avoid tax? also why was my iPhone 5s not taxed when it was imported to Ireland? It came for the USA so I'm wondering why it never got taxed.

If you received an item and didnt have to pay the vat and customs duty then you got lucky. They dont inspect every parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Or perhaps refurbished items have a smaller percentage of tax to pay?
    No, if this was the case every second seller would be claiming stuff is refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The seller may have marked it as a gift or below the threshold. But it is more likely that you got lucky.

also why was my iPhone 5s not taxed when it was imported to Ireland?
    who did you buy it off? and what carrier was used? was value fully declared on the outside? did it go to a business address? I have always had far less stuff caught going through regular post rather than couriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 cuhullainn

Lot of confusion all round!!
    I have used services like "Borderlinx" (www.borderlinx.com/en/), they may not be the cheapest but at least you have a good (no surprise) idea of what it will cost before you buy. They do have a calculator for international shipping, import duties, vat ,,etc. You can use the calculator straight off their website ( without registering).
    Example for a smartphone (250Eur):
    Shipping cost budget carrier EUR 17.74 (with DHL Express saver: EUR 21.02)
    Weight Dead weight Billed 0.50 kg
    Customs DDP - Pay Customs Now
    Tax & Duty EUR 50.99 (with DHL Express saver: EUR 51.74)
    Insurance Optional
    Total EUR 68.73 (with DHL Express saver: EUR 72.76)
    I assume An Post equivalent service would offer same service.
    Using such services make it easy, you have a "Local" address and these guys will handle all paper work!
    Worth to think about it!!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cuhullainn

sorry, in the example above, the smartphone was priced at 250 EUR

rubadub wrote: »
    who did you buy it off? and what carrier was used? was value fully declared on the outside? did it go to a business address? I have always had far less stuff caught going through regular post rather than couriers.

I bought it from Ebay the company was based in NY, it was an international unlocked version. No the value had not been declared outside and it did not go to a business address. It stated that it had free shipping. Pretty sure it shipped with DHL but they just left it at my doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Does the item have to be over a certain value?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

horse7 wrote: »
    Does the item have to be over a certain value?

If you are asking about value for VAT/Duty, check the first post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I read the first post about vat/duty, but couldn’t find the answer to this. Is customs duty due on electronics, specifically earphones costing €250 including postage
    Thanks

I read the first post about vat/duty, but couldn’t find the answer to this. Is customs duty due on electronics, specifically earphones costing €250 including postage
    Thanks

It includes the shipping cost if declared, it is supposed to be but some companies do not include it on the customs form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

It includes the shipping cost if declared, it is supposed to be but some companies do not include it on the customs form.

So no duty due on electronics, just the postage part of it?

So no duty due on electronics, just the postage part of it?

Duty is on the total value, if applicable on packages above €150. The duty rate varies depending on the type of goods.

• Advertisement

Thanks

In the first thread, there is a link to the Taric, or Tariff codes.
    Section XVI, then chapter 85, the 8518 and so on, as you drill down looking for headphones. It brings you back to a page which has a "retrieve measures" button - when you click this after filling in country of origin it gives the relevant duty. Check this out for yourself as it may depend on the country it it coming from.
    As far as I can make out its 2% Duty,
    So if the cost to delivered is €250, you add 2%, then add 23%. Also add in €10-15 for customs clearance charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

Last time I was able to email them the invoice and they emailed be back saying what the charge would be. You do need exact change.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Email your invoice to dmc@revenue.ie with the tracking number as subject line. They'll tally it and reply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Uncle_Joe

Hey everyone! Just looking for some pointers.

I have some stuff arriving in from the US late next week or so & I have a couple of silly questions that I’m hoping some one might know the answers too:

1) As I house share (and I’ll be at work when my delivery comes), is it ok for my housemates to tell the postman that recipient is not home & that’ll he’ll collect it later at the An Post depot? I only ask because I don’t want my mates having to stump up the customs fee on my behalf lol (will be north of €200 but not sure exactly)

2) I have some cash put aside to pay this charge & will pay the rest from my debit card (when my wages get paid early next week) - can I part-pay in cash & the balance on my card? (hence why I just can’t leave cash with my housemates)

Apologies for the banality of these questions, but I like to prepared when things like this happen lol

Cheers in advance!

UJ

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

1 is not an issue. 2 might be. If you are paying at the door it is cash only and they dont carry change. it might be the same if paying in the sorting office.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Uncle_Joe

1 is not an issue. 2 might be. If you are paying at the door it is cash only and they dont carry change. it might be the same if paying in the sorting office.

Thanks for the quick reply! I better get some cash sorted then lol

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

hey,

So fedex delivered a package to me and the packing slip outside the package had the amount declared $100 but I wasn't asked for payment at the door.

Should I expect a bill in the post or something?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

hey,

So fedex delivered a package to me and the packing slip outside the package had the amount declared $100 but I wasn't asked for payment at the door.

Should I expect a bill in the post or something?

Thanks
    one to two weeks youll get it definitely.they pursued a lot of people on bargains forum over 1e over 22e the top delivery which would been excempt in most cases so yes any day now:cool::D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I purchased an itrem of clothing from the U.S. Total cost including postage came to $60. I received it two weeks ago, delivered by Fedex. At the time of delivery the driver did not mention anything about duty etc. Yesterday I received an invoice from Fedex for €26. this includes €12. prepayment charge. I understand that I have to pay duty to Revenue and an administration charge to Fedex but in the past when I purchased and received anything from outside The EU, I always paid these charges to the driver on receipt of the goods. Anyone have similar recently.

Mod merge

Advertisement