Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

TomCo wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find the relevant thread (if I search exhange its all about exchange rates).

I received some clothes from the US yesterday and paid VAT on collection from the post office. Unfortunately the sizing is wrong and I need to return the items for an exchange.

How do I make sure I do not pay VAT again on the replacement items?

I would imagine that you will have to contact the store and hope that they will cover some of the shipping.

If they offer shipping to Ireland to begin with, then often they will cover some of the shipping (E.G. you may have to cover returns but they will reurn the exchange at their cost.)
    Best to look up the sites t&c.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/buying-from-a-non-eu-website/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Suckit wrote: »
    I would imagine that you will have to contact the store and hope that they will cover some of the shipping.

If they offer shipping to Ireland to begin with, then often they will cover some of the shipping (E.G. you may have to cover returns but they will reurn the exchange at their cost.)
    Best to look up the sites t&c.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/buying-from-a-non-eu-website/

I don't mind paying the return shipping, that's fine. And they offer shipping to ireland, otherwise I wouldn't have recieved my original order.

I just want to know if I need to get them to mark the replacement items a certain way so I don't pay tax a second time. Legally I know from reviewing Revenues site that no VAT is due on replacment items when money doesn't change hands.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-gifts-and-promotional-items-etc.pdf
    8. Replacement goods
    Replacement goods supplied free of charge in accordance with warranties or
    guarantees on original goods are not taxable

How does Revenue know when something is a replacement?

TomCo wrote: »
    I don't mind paying the return shipping, that's fine. And they offer shipping to ireland, otherwise I wouldn't have recieved my original order.

I just want to know if I need to get them to mark the replacement items a certain way so I don't pay tax a second time. Legally I know from reviewing Revenues site that no VAT is due on replacment items when money doesn't change hands.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-gifts-and-promotional-items-etc.pdf

How does Revenue know when something is a replacement?

I can't remember, but I have done it with a watch (getting repaired) a while back. I think you have to get a form from revenue to accompany the returns.
    Contact them and tell them you just want to exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Suckit wrote: »
    I can't remember, but I have done it with a watch (getting repaired) a while back. I think you have to get a form from revenue to accompany the returns.
    Contact them and tell them you just want to exchange.

Great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Just wondering is it still the case that if your purchase including postage etc is below 26e that VAT isn't collected? Thanks for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

ED E wrote: »
    Yes.

Thank you ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gavinmcg30

Anybody know what the VAT/duty would be on a vintage comic book 4k?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

gavinmcg30 wrote: »
    Anybody know what the VAT/duty would be on a vintage comic book 4k?

Look up the first post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

Hey All,

I have a multi region DVD player and I am going to be buying a few region 1 DVDs from the States. Will I be crucified with the customs charges, does anybody know? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Realtai wrote: »
    Hey All,

I have a multi region DVD player and I am going to be buying a few region 1 DVDs from the States. Will I be crucified with the customs charges, does anybody know? Thanks.

Depends on the value and the seller. All items over €23 including shipping are liable for vat. Some sellers will undervalue or one I know reships via the Netherlands to avoid it, which is not exactly legal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Realtai wrote: »
    Hey All,

Mod:Look up the first post in the thread, and have a read of the charter.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Mod:Look up the first post in the thread, and have a read of the charter.

No problem, will do, thanks.

Depends on the value and the seller. All items over €23 including shipping are liable for vat. Some sellers will undervalue or one I know reships via the Netherlands to avoid it, which is not exactly legal.

That's grand, thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrottopup

Not sure if this has been asked elsewhere in the thread but does anyone know if you should expect a reply from the amc email? I sent my one at 1 oclock today and no reply or update on the tracking website.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I bought a portable monitor from AliExpress and tracking advised it's was sent to customs. What would be the rough turnaround time for those guys to receive it and send on (assuming with relevant duties added, no probs with that). It's value was about 120 eur.

Ranjo wrote: »
    I bought a portable monitor from AliExpress and tracking advised it's was sent to customs. What would be the rough turnaround time for those guys to receive it and send on (assuming with relevant duties added, no probs with that). It's value was about 120 eur.

If you contact them, they usually do it quicker.

Otherwise it could take up to two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 welshchris77

Question for the group,
    I recently bought a pair of boots from ebay from the Ukraine, I bought a pair previously from the same seller and it arrived without a problem, this time though when I checked the tracking it said it had been delivered to somewhere in American, I then noticed a second tracking number tracking the item from US to Ireland, I should receive the item in the next few days but I have a feeling I may be taxed on it now as it went to the states first, would there be any recourse from this if I am taxed?

Question for the group,
    I recently bought a pair of boots from ebay from the Ukraine, I bought a pair previously from the same seller and it arrived without a problem, this time though when I checked the tracking it said it had been delivered to somewhere in American, I then noticed a second tracking number tracking the item from US to Ireland, I should receive the item in the next few days but I have a feeling I may be taxed on it now as it went to the states first, would there be any recourse from this if I am taxed?

Whether they come from the Ukraine or via the US, if they are over the value, you're liable to VAT/Duty. More information on import is in the first post of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Ranjo wrote: »

Update. Got an email from parcel motel as that was the destination address. Told to contact mail centre with an email and a reference number. Dropped them a note, heard back next day with payment request by postal order or cheque. Posted that yesterday so expect it in another day or two. Painless enough apart from buying a postal order which I haven't done in years.

• Advertisement

Whether they come from the Ukraine or via the US, if they are over the value, you're liable to VAT/Duty. More information on import is in the first post of this thread.

I thought there was no import duty tax from Ukraine?

I know Ireland has a tax agreement with them (it may not include duty tax), but didn't the EU also abolish custom duty tax for items from Ukraine?

I could be wrong, it's not something I've ever double checked, but I thought that was it..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There is a free trade agreement between the EU and Ukraine but there may still be VAT due depending on the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 daidaisequel

Anyone got any idea what the process is for custom taxes from US? Im planning to buy a mobile phone from US and have it delivered to Ireland but Im afraid that the customs charges will make the money I'm going to save redundant.

Anyone got any idea what the process is for custom taxes from US? Im planning to buy a mobile phone from US and have it delivered to Ireland but Im afraid that the customs charges will make the money I'm going to save redundant.

Mod merge: Have a look at the very first post in this thread, and read the charter please.

There is a free trade agreement between the EU and Ukraine but there may still be VAT due depending on the value.

My apologies, I didn't realise there was a trade agreement in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My apologies, I didn't realise there was a trade agreement in place.

since 2016

Got a letter from Fedex wanting €10 duty on something they delivered from Korea. Bit surprised because I thought the driver would have asked for it. Since I've already got the item can I just tell them to get stuffed? Maybe since it's only a tenner I should cough it up?

The charge is fair so I'll pay it. Just wondering why Revenue aren't doing it? Hopefully I won't receive something from them later and the tenner will be the end of it.

Got a letter from Fedex wanting €10 duty on something they delivered from Korea. Bit surprised because I thought the driver would have asked for it. Since I've already got the item can I just tell them to get stuffed? Maybe since it's only a tenner I should cough it up?

The charge is fair so I'll pay it. Just wondering why Revenue aren't doing it? Hopefully I won't receive something from them later and the tenner will be the end of it.

They usually have an admin fee as well if they lay out VAT of €12-15. Revenue don't do customs clearance, they appoint agents such as FedEx on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭deravarra

Hi all.

So I saw some items that I knew the wife would like - but it was based in the US. Not an issue, so I thought, as I could use the addresspal service from An Post. Big mistake.

I paid approximately $60 for all items, including postage to the addresspal location in the US. I knew I had to pay about €20 for postage to Ireland. I had no issue with that. But what I didn't know was that I was about to be hit by revenue/an post by an additional charge. The an post delivery guy wanted an extra €22. No notification of this beforehand, couldn't take a card - only cash, and unless I had the cash to give him there and then, the parcel would be taken back and couldn't be collected until the next day!

So I managed to gather enough small notes and some coins to pay the delivery guy and he told me to complain using the email address on the parcel label.

When I sent the email, I found that the revenue portion of the charge was €12 and an post charged me €10 to "handle" the revenue claim.

Now, I wanted to know why revenue was charging me what they did for the items I bought. Revenue responded and said they were charging me for the amount as declared by an post - the amount which included the delivery cost from the vendor to addresspal in the US.

I asked for clarification on this, as I felt it was wrong that irish revenue should tax me on a service which began and ended in the US. But no, they insisted - that ALL transportation costs in relation to the purchase should be taxed.

Since I had already paid tax (VAT) on the addresspal service, I would have assumed that would have covered me for transportation from the point of sending in the US to my address in Ireland... but no, revenue still insists on my paying tax on a US service.

Anybody else have this experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

<SNIP>

It’s standard.

You pay customs duty on the “landed” cost of goods imported from outside the EU.

This includes all transport costs.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

Advertisement