Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

Would there be Customs and Excise Duty and VAT on something from the USA.? It costs 100 dollars including delivery. it is an item of clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Yes, there will be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Would there be Customs and Excise Duty and VAT on something from the USA.? It costs 100 dollars including delivery. it is an item of clothing

Mod:Look at the first post in this thread. It gives all the information you need

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If it is childrens clothing (under 11) then no vat.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/C/clothing-children-childrens-clothing-and-footwear-.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pkiernan wrote: »
    E233 plus import duty.
    Then apply VAT at 23% of above total.

Approx E80.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Spaz

Hello,

I am considiring buying computer parts on Amazon USA using prime. I was previously looking at Amazon Deutchland but the US would save me about 50-60 euro. However will I have to pay customs duty and how much would it cost? Also how easy is it to return faulty items to the USA?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod merge. Please check the 1st post on this thread for info regarding imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Juicystar11

Does anyone have experience dealing with DHL in order to get VAT and import duty refunded from Revenue?

I've tried everything I can think of but I'm getting nowhere.

Does anyone have experience dealing with DHL in order to get VAT and import duty refunded from Revenue?

I've tried everything I can think of but I'm getting nowhere.

Have you gone to Revenue? What are the circumstances that you think you are due a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hamburgler

Hi,

Can anyone advise what the situation is regarding import duty on a replacement item,

Last year I bought an electronic device from a supplier who shipped from Germany, obviously no import duty to be paid, after 8 months the unit developed a fault & the supplier agreed to replace the item

However the replacement was shipped from Hong Kong and the courier is now looking for duty to be paid as the item had a declared value of €80

Do I have to pay or can this be waived due to original purchase within EU?

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Mod: Merged with sticky "New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules" Thread

Hamburgler wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone advise what the situation is regarding import duty on a replacement item,

Last year I bought an electronic device from a supplier who shipped from Germany, obviously no import duty to be paid, after 8 months the unit developed a fault & the supplier agreed to replace the item

However the replacement was shipped from Hong Kong and the courier is now looking for duty to be paid as the item had a declared value of €80

Do I have to pay or can this be waived due to original purchase within EU?

Thanks!!

No, you are not required to pay anything. The company in Germany should have sorted that out, but if you can prove to the courier that the item was a replacement for a defective one, they should easily sort it.

Sometimes the courier will ask you to pay it, and leave it to you to sort out a refund from the revenue, in this instance it's not required for you to pay anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Juicystar11

whiterebel wrote: »
    Have you gone to Revenue? What are the circumstances that you think you are due a refund?

I returned the goods back to the retailer and I spoke to Revenue about it.

DHL delivered the goods to me so Revenue said that DHL need to apply for the refund on my behalf. That's where I'm having trouble. I supplied DHL with the documentation needed but they're pretty much ignoring my request now.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Hey guys, I'm buying a shirt that costs $57 (~ 50 euros) including shipping from the USA. I know there's going to be a 23% vat added on it, totalling to about 61-62 euros. Is the handling fee of 10-15 euros a sure thing? I'm not sure if AnPost or another company will deliver it. So I should be expecting around 75 euros worth for my item, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

camz09 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm buying a shirt that costs $57 (~ 50 euros) including shipping from the USA. I know there's going to be a 23% vat added on it, totalling to about 61-62 euros. Is the handling fee of 10-15 euros a sure thing? I'm not sure if AnPost or another company will deliver it. So I should be expecting around 75 euros worth for my item, is that right?

if your package is stopped by customs and vat is due then whoever is delivering it will add their fee for processing the customs payment. there is no way around that. an post charge 10 the couriers charge 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mateonboard

Does anyone know what happens if parcel is stopped by customs and I want to return it to the seller?

I didn't know that I would need to pay for customs clearance, so I would like to return this. It's a smartphone I've ordered from Aliexpress for 250€ but with customs it will be around 370€ I guess, so not worth it.

Do I still need to pay for import or they can return item to the sender?

Thanks.

Does anyone know what happens if parcel is stopped by customs and I want to return it to the seller?

I didn't know that I would need to pay for customs clearance, so I would like to return this. It's a smartphone I've ordered from Aliexpress for 250€ but with customs it will be around 370€ I guess, so not worth it.

Do I still need to pay for import or they can return item to the sender?

Thanks.

customs wont return an item. if the duty/vat is not paid the item is destroyed.

customs wont return an item. if the duty/vat is not paid the item is destroyed.

Yikes, thanks a lot for fast reply.
    On the letter I received from Athlone Mails Centre it says "If a reply is not received within 14 days the parcel may be returned to the sender."

Yikes, thanks a lot for fast reply.
    On the letter I received from Athlone Mails Centre it says "If a reply is not received within 14 days the parcel may be returned to the sender."

may be. but it wont.

I can't remember exactly, but there is a way. I think you can claim it is faulty or not as expected.
    Maybe somebody else would be better help, but I know there is a 'way' of doing it.

I think they only destroy items of less than €50 value. But again, not sure.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    I can't remember exactly, but there is a way. I think you can claim it is faulty or not as expected.
    Maybe somebody else would be better help, but I know there is a 'way' of doing it.

customs wont release it until the money is paid.

customs wont release it until the money is paid.

Yeah, but there is definitely a way of making them return it without losing anything. I just can't remember how. I did a couple of years ago.
    I think if they said it will be returned, then it will. So it won't be destroyed.

I think they only destroy items of less than €50 value. But again, not sure.

Yeah, but then I'm wondering, if I return an item to the seller as faulty, then I would be refunded the amount phone is worth, not phone + import taxes. And anyway even if I received refund + import taxes from seller then it's not fair to them, as it's not there fault that I need to pay import tax.

I was thinking there is a way to just return item and pay only for shipping, not import taxes.
    I've sent message to the email they've provided on the letter, it's Revenues email, but they just replied "Can you send evidence of the price paid for the phone?" Clearly not interested in my idea of returning item to the seller.

Not sure if it's worth gambling and trusting them they will return item, if it's gets destroyed then I've lost 250€, otherwise I will "lose" 120€ on import tax. Next time I'll order from EU, just wasn't thinking enough about import taxes.

Yeah, but then I'm wondering, if I return an item to the seller as faulty, then I would be refunded the amount phone is worth, not phone + import taxes. And anyway even if I received refund + import taxes from seller then it's not fair to them, as it's not there fault that I need to pay import tax.

I was thinking there is a way to just return item and pay only for shipping, not import taxes.
    I've sent message to the email they've provided on the letter, it's Revenues email, but they just replied "Can you send evidence of the price paid for the phone?" Clearly not interested in my idea of returning item to the seller.

Not sure if it's worth gambling and trusting them they will return item, if it's gets destroyed then I've lost 250€, otherwise I will "lose" 120€ on import tax. Next time I'll order from EU, just wasn't thinking enough about import taxes.

If phone cost you €250, then tax should only be €57.50 + handling fees of €15ish.

Not €120.

Who is delivering it? An Post or DHL/Courier? I was thinking DHL initially. But if it's An Post, then that is different.
    How to claim a refund of Customs Duty and Value-Added Tax (VAT)

If you returned the goods you bought to the seller, you may be able to claim a refund of the customs charges paid. You should apply in writing for a refund to the import station or mail centre where the goods arrived, for example, Dublin Airport or Portlaoise Mail Centre. You cannot claim a refund until the duty has been paid.
    Your application should contain the following:
    • your full name and address
    • your Personal Public Service Number (PPSN)
    • the reason for your refund request, for example, returns or replacements
    • proof of payment of Customs Duties and Value-Added Tax (VAT)
    • a copy of the invoice, and any other relevant documents
    • proof that the goods were returned, for example, an email from the seller stating that the goods have been returned
    • proof of a refund to your bank or credit card account.
    Revenue will process your application and you will be informed of the decision.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/how-to-claim-a-refund-of-customs-duty-and-vat.aspx

If it is DHL or another courier, and you pay and accept it to return, then you need to follow the above guide too. You shold only deal with Revenue. You will not be able to reclaim handling charges.

If phone cost you €250, then tax should only be €57.50 + handling fees of €15ish.

Not €120.

Who is delivering it? An Post or DHL/Courier? I was thinking DHL initially. But if it's An Post, then that is different.

If it is DHL or another courier, and you pay and accept it to return, then you need to follow the above guide too. You shold only deal with Revenue. You will not be able to reclaim handling charges.

Thanks a lot. It's actually An Post, initially I've ordered phone with DHL, but seller told me because it's fast delivery that I will most likely pay import fee and if I ordered through slower/standard shipping method that I probably won't pay import tax. So I cancelled order and reordered with standard shipping.

An Post is handling it now, does then import fee change from what you said?

€75 seems better :), it's fine, I was looking at this page using first example and it came up about 120€ for import (if that example is correct, designer Jeans over €150 example):
    revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

An Post is handling it now, does then import fee change from what you said?

€75 seems better :), it's fine, I was looking at this page using first example and it came up about 120€ for import (if that example is correct, designer Jeans over €150 example):
    revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

Use this site - https://www.calculatevat.net/
    And add €12.50 (I think) for An Post handling charge, it could be €15.

There is a thread over here that lists phone recommendations from China and sites to buy from that will have vat included in the price.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057892570
    It's been going a while so you may only want to look at the first post and scroll to the end (for future purchases).

Use this site -
    And add €12.50 (I think) for An Post handling charge, it could be €15.

There is a thread over here that lists phone recommendations from China and sites to buy from that will have vat included in the price.

It's been going a while so you may only want to look at the first post and scroll to the end (for future purchases).

I think this site counts only VAT and not import charges, I would need to pay both. If item is above 22€ value then I need to pay VAT and if above 150€ I need to also pay custom import charges, if I got it correctly?

Thanks for the above thread, interesting.

I think this site counts only VAT and not import charges, I would need to pay both. If item is above 22€ value then I need to pay VAT and if above 150€ I need to also pay custom import charges, if I got it correctly?

Thanks for the above thread, interesting.
    Not for a phone. Electronic goods such as Laptops, Mobile Phones, Digital cameras and Video Games etc. are duty free.

Not for a phone. Electronic goods such as Laptops, Mobile Phones, Digital cameras and Video Games etc. are duty free.

Oh, thanks, didn't know.
    I've send them copy of the receipt they asked for, we'll see how it goes. Thanks a lot again for all replies. :)

• Advertisement

@Suckit you were right, it was exactly as you said, it is duty free. I received a message yesterday afternoon saying "The total charge, payable to An Post at the delivery stage, is €68.16. This amount includes vat and the standard An Post fee of €10.00." This matches price of the phone + VAT + An Post fee. Thanks. :)

Advertisement