Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

When I buy from the U.K. post brexit will this 10€ fee be added to everything I’m a little confused?

If only vat is needed ie under 150€ is it still paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There used to be an exemption for goods under €25, but even that is going, IIRC not till sometime later in the year, so nearly everything over €25 from January and everything later in the year.

The other issue will be that EU warranty and consumer law will no longer apply so repair, replacement and returns could be totally different.

I thought the exemption was 22€ is it 25€ also is the exemption based on price including U.K. vat or excluding U.K. vat,

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

sugarman wrote: »
    On everything applicable for VAT+Duty owed beyond the 1st Jan, yes.
    It's an An Post admin fee and only applies when import taxes are paid by An Post as part of customs clearance.

Retailers like Amazon collect at source and handle customs clearance themselves so there won't be any extra An Post (or courier) admin fee added to packages coming from them.

• Advertisement

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    I thought the exemption was 22€ is it 25€ also is the exemption based on price including U.K. vat or excluding U.K. vat,
    It is. But if the VAT due is less than €6, Revenue don't collect, so the effective limit is actually €28.57.

Any package shipped from GB direct to an ROI address will not have UK VAT added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Exemption is €22 including delivery costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Caranica wrote: »
    Exemption is €22 including delivery costs

It's random though isn't it. Not every parcel gets caught for it.

I have a few Blu-rays I’m looking at from an independent retailer for 23€ including postage but stock is out till. Next year

It does seem like anything under 28€ shouldn’t be charged vat cos of the 6€ thing is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

If I order something from the UK after Brexit, I understand that VAT and import duty will need to be paid.

What I don't understand is what the deal is with UK VAT. Do I have to pay that as well? Or will the seller need to deduct the VAT from the item?

Also, If I pay for custom made curtains now, which will be made, but probably won't be shipped until january, are they still subject to VAT and import duty? And is the value calculated on what I paid, (most of the cost is the customisation), or on the intrinsic value of a pair of curtains?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

UK VAT - Nobody seems to know. Amazon declare Irish VAT so they are ok up to €150.00
    Anything that arrives into the state from the 1st January from the UK is subject to VAT/Duty and customs clearance. It doesn't matter when it was ordered or shipped.
    Value is on what you paid + Freight.

Latest Brexit updates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Blisterman wrote: »
    If I order something from the UK after Brexit, I understand that VAT and import duty will need to be paid.

What I don't understand is what the deal is with UK VAT. Do I have to pay that as well? Or will the seller need to deduct the VAT from the item?

Also, If I pay for custom made curtains now, which will be made, but probably won't be shipped until january, are they still subject to VAT and import duty? And is the value calculated on what I paid, (most of the cost is the customisation), or on the intrinsic value of a pair of curtains?

Differs from company to company, some will still charge the VAT, others will remove the VAT like they are supposed to for export goods.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

This is the actual wording from revenue:

2. Non-collection of Small Amounts of Import Charges
    Where the customs duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of excise duty which will always be collected if the goods are liable to excise duty.

Would the 10€ an post fee still apply if it was between 22 and 28€?

Would the 10€ an post fee still apply if it was between 22 and 28€?

It's in black and white. If the VAT is €6 or more they say they will collect it. The VAT amount is more important because the VAT rate may change back to 23%.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It's in black and white. If the VAT is €6 or more they say they will collect it. The VAT amount is more important because the VAT rate may change back to 23%.

Just trying to figure out if I’d need to pay the 10€ on my 23€ order or if it’d be wiser to spend 100€ at once

Just trying to figure out if I’d need to pay the 10€ on my 23€ order or if it’d be wiser to spend 100€ at once

Nobody knows. It isn't clear cut about the VAT collection situation. Amazon will be ok because they collect Irish VAT. If other companies don't it will probably have to be customs cleared. No definite answers yet.

Nobody knows. It isn't clear cut about the VAT collection situation. Amazon will be ok because they collect Irish VAT. If other companies don't it will probably have to be customs cleared. No definite answers yet.

How does it work from America rn I imagine it’d be similar

How does it work from America rn I imagine it’d be similar

Online buying - Import VAT and Duty thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This is the actual wording from revenue:

2. Non-collection of Small Amounts of Import Charges
    Where the customs duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of excise duty which will always be collected if the goods are liable to excise duty.

Until the 1st July
    Note

From 1 July 2021 import VAT will:

be payable on all goods entering the EU, irrespective of their value
    and
    always be collected, irrespective of the amount due.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

With UK joining the third country rank the import VAT will surely be on top of current retail prices, the British government won't forego any
    tax revenue on exports. They're abolishing their (under £15) import VAT exemption too - on Jan 1st.

I have a few Blu-rays I’m looking at from an independent retailer for 23€ including postage but stock is out till. Next year
    From the UK? If that includes UK VAT, then the price from January 1st will be less as UK VAT won't be added on orders shipped to Ireland. As long as the retailer will still ship to Ireland.
    Just trying to figure out if I’d need to pay the 10€ on my 23€ order or if it’d be wiser to spend 100€ at once.
    Even if the total consignment price is €23 ex VAT, the Irish VAT due would be €4.83 and, being less than €6, will not be collected by Revenue. Until July 1st when the rules change.

The €10 An Post handing fee is ONLY charged when Revenue collects VAT/duty (as it's a handling fee for An Post paying Revenue on your behalf and then collecting it from you) and so wouldn't apply to your €23 packages.

Quackster wrote: »
    From the UK? If that includes UK VAT, then the price from January 1st will be less as UK VAT won't be added on orders shipped to Ireland. As long as the retailer will still ship to Ireland.

Any retailer in the UK I've asked doesn't know what they are doing. One has checked with his accountant last week, and he still hasn't got back to me.

So, its either they deduct Vat and its is customs cleared, adding VAT and charges or They ship it including UK VAT and we pay on it here as well, making it at least 20% more expensive. Brilliant with 17 days to go......

Any retailer in the UK I've asked doesn't know what they are doing. One has checked with his accountant last week, and he still hasn't got back to me.

So, its either they deduct Vat and its is customs cleared, adding VAT and charges or They ship it including UK VAT and we pay on it here as well, making it at least 20% more expensive. Brilliant with 17 days to go......
    Aye, there's the rub. It's fine for the Amazons of this world but for small retailers trying to get to grips with it all, it may well just prove too much hassle for a lot of them and they'll simply stop delivering outside the UK.

There'll still be AddressPal but then you'll have the issue of paying UK & Irish VAT on the double. Plus the €10 An Post fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

MIL sent some old toys (not new, belonged to older grand child) from Australia to Ireland for my son for Christmas. Threw in some Tim Tams, sweets etc.

DHL charged me €24 in import duties.

Mate of mine sent me some american candy, lays and Dr Pepper from Florida

Fedex charged me €44 in import duties.

Bit of a piss take on stuff that had no real value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

MIL sent some old toys (not new, belonged to older grand child) from Australia to Ireland for my son for Christmas. Threw in some Tim Tams, sweets etc.

DHL charged me €24 in import duties.

Mate of mine sent me some american candy, lays and Dr Pepper from Florida

Fedex charged me €44 in import duties.

Bit of a piss take on stuff that had no real value.

DHL charge customs clearance fees even when no VAT or Customs duty are chargeable. And the more honest the sender is, by detailing the items in the package, the more they charge the recipient. A package declared as containing from 1-6 items of no value will cost €20 to process. a package with 10 items of no value will cost €40 with an extra 5€ per line in the declaration form thereafter.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    DHL charge customs clearance fees even when no VAT or Customs duty are chargeable. And the more honest the sender is, by detailing the items in the package, the more they charge the recipient. A package declared as containing from 1-6 items of no value will cost €20 to process. a package with 10 items of no value will cost €40 with an extra 5€ per line in the declaration form thereafter.

If there is no VAT or Duty to be paid there is no entry to be done or money to be paid out, they don't charge. If someone sends things like the previous poster and ship it via DHL or FEdEx Express, the freight amount alone will have a considerable impact on the Vat/Duty. I don't think in Customs terns there is any such thing as no value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

<b>If there is no VAT or Duty to be paid there is no entry to be done or money to be paid out, they don't charge.</b> If someone sends things like the previous poster and ship it via DHL or FEdEx Express, the freight amount alone will have a considerable impact on the Vat/Duty. I don't think in Customs terns there is any such thing as no value.

Personal experience in the past few months tells me your 1st sentence is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How will brexit effect uk based online sellers who drop ship product from eu to eu?

Advertisement