Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

fryup wrote: »
    the difference? of nearly €7.00 ?? that can't be right

and why am i paying VAT on shipping & services? surely the vat should be charged on the value of the item only

VAT is charged on the CIF value of the goods. CIF is Cost, Insurance and Freight. The CIF value is what the goods actually cost you. Any customs processing fee charged by couriers is separate to to the shipping cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

ok so how come i'm still paying 7 quid over the odds?

it seems to me they're picking figures out of the air

^^^^^^^^^^^

ok so how come i'm still paying 7 quid over the odds?

it seems to me they're picking figures out of the air

does the 37 include the DHL processing fee or is it purely the vat element and the DHL processing fee is on top of that? what was the total cost including the shipping?

corkie wrote: »
    If ordering from the likes of Amazon, you should be paying the courier fees at checkout.

if you buy through amazon they charge you the irish VAT in advance but they do not add an additional fee for processing the customs clearance.

does the 37 include the DHL processing fee or is it purely the vat element and the DHL processing fee is on top of that? what was the total cost including the shipping?

the original cost including shipping was €113

today i get an email from DHL - i have to pay import duty/tax of €37.94.....

vat @ import €23.44

advance payment (DHL) of €14.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

When you say the item cost 113, is that the total cost including the postage. Because that would roughly add up to what they are saying.

113 * 0.21 = 23.73 VAT

+ 14.50 EUR (or 2.5% of the advanced amount, if higher) Advanced Payment: The service covers any import of a non-document shipment for which DHL has paid or used its customs credit line advancing customs duties, taxes or regulatory charges on behalf of those importers with whom DHL has no contract. The charge is based on the credit advanced or guaranteed and is subject to a standard minimum

Gives you €38.23

The Advance Payment Fee isn't included in the total transaction value for vat purposes. I'm happy to be corrected but I think Corkie has it wrong. From one of my own shipments from Hong Kong last year.

See first image: The entry form where you can see the amount of Duty owed, and then the amount of VAT owed comes to €105.06
    https://i.imgur.com/cfIAcne.png

Then the receipt from DHL showing €119.56, €14.50 more.

https://i.imgur.com/TYjTnby.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

the original cost including shipping was €113

today i get an email from DHL - i have to pay import duty/tax of €37.94.....

vat @ import €23.44

advance payment (DHL) of €14.50

That looks spot on.
    I'm not clear what the issue is?

@davetherave

OK get ya,

so is that the way its going to be from now on for UK items? even those bought on amazon.uk? and posted via an post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭corkie

@fryup My calculations before where in Error, I calculated vat on customs fee, but forgot to add the expense of it to total.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

@davetherave

OK get ya,

so is that the way its going to be from now on for UK items? even those bought on amazon.uk? and posted via an post?

You pay the Irish VAT at the checkout on Amazon.

If you are getting entertainment items Zavvi have set up a .ie portal and their stuff is sent with the VAT paid as well.

• Advertisement

oh btw - are DHL going to charge me extra for everyday they hold my item?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ok I posted a few weeks back about buying a PC from England and ofc was wondering about the import duty, PC was a very expensive gamers one and I was sure I would have a hefty bill...
    I must have been lucky cos nada, not 1 extra cent.
    UPS delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Ok I posted a few weeks back about buying a PC from England and ofc was wondering about the import duty, PC was a very expensive gamers one and I was sure I would have a hefty bill...
    I must have been lucky cos nada, not 1 extra cent.
    UPS delivered.

Where did you buy it from? The company may charge Irish VAT. Overclockers UK do. There is no duty on computer hardware.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

oh btw - are DHL going to charge me extra for everyday they hold my item?

Not normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

One UK supplier told me that UK VAT will be transferred to Ireland, so only the difference between UK and Ireland will be charged/ I presume that would require the invoice to be attached to the shipment, but I still have my doubts. I used Addresspal a lot, but as the mailing address would be Hatfield rather than here, the supplier says that they can't sell VAT free.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

sbkenn wrote: »
    One UK supplier told me that UK VAT will be transferred to Ireland, so only the difference between UK and Ireland will be charged/ I presume that would require the invoice to be attached to the shipment, but I still have my doubts. I used Addresspal a lot, but as the mailing address would be Hatfield rather than here, the supplier says that they can't sell VAT free.

Not true. Full IE VAT is being charged

However they are correct as well. Tjey can't sell to within the UK without charging you VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If I buy a 6 bottle case of wine online from Italy am I liable to pay Excise on it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

vicwatson wrote: »
    If I buy a 6 bottle case of wine online from Italy am I liable to pay Excise on it?

See the 1st post, all the links are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

whiterebel wrote: »
    See the 1st post, all the links are there.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Hi All,

Looking for some advice, I did a search of the forum but could not find an answer.

I need to buy about €1000 of books from the USA for a course I am doing. The delivery fee is also very high at €250. Unfortunately there are no options but to buy from this source.

What's the customs situation with books, I see that they are VAT exempt, but I am finding different information online about the potential customs duty.

Does anybody have any knowledge on this? I would appreciate it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

See the first post in this thread. Look up the Tariff code or taric for books and it will tell you if duty is payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Hi,
    I can't seem to get a definitive answer on this.
    I know they are not part of the EU but are a member of the EEA.
    Would any of you know if i'd incur customs if i were to make the purchase?

There is a specific thread on import and customs charges. Merge..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

Guys I'm looking at buying a small item from the states for 42 dollars anyone know how much I'm likely to pay for tax and customs ?.

bassy wrote: »
    Guys I'm looking at buying a small item from the states for 42 dollars anyone know how much I'm likely to pay for tax and customs ?.

Check the first post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RobSR

Hi,
    I ordered an item from the UK through Amazon for approx £96 in early Jan. which I received end of Jan. Just got an unexpected invoice from the courier company for VAT and an advancement fee totaling €41. I know things have changed with Brexit, but was sure that these charges were at least to be advised or accounted for at the point of sale. Have I any comeback on this or am I obliged to pay. I think it strange the courier company released the package before receiving payment for this.
    Thanks

You bought from the UK which is now outside the EU. So you owe VAT and charges to the courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

whiterebel wrote: »
    You bought from the UK which is now outside the UK. So you owe VAT and charges to the courier.

Amazon always charged Irish VAT on shipments to Ireland.

Was Amazon the seller or someone selling through Amazon?

Unless you need it urgently, check the current price on Amazon, refuse delivery (it is very late), get a refund and order it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Amazon charge Irish VAT. Are you sure the courier invoice is genuine? They usually look for payment before delivery and €41 seems excessive on that sale total. Also, Amazon rarely use couriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Was the item bought from Amazon or was it a marketplace seller? Amazon would include Irish VAT and import duties if any, marketplace sellers might not.

Advertisement