Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I was thinking of ordering this online for an Xmas pressie for someone (it would be delivered to my address), but it is €48 euro (with free shipping):

1) Would I be caught for duty/tax/vat?
    2) If so, how much?

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_lid_B-am-pid_743W-am-cid_Perfume__products.html - and the product is: "Eau De Parfum Spray 75 ml €48.01"

Thanks for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just calculate it for yourself, all info is in Post #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I bought some earphones when I was in the USA during the summer. When I got back to Ireland they had developed a fault so I had to send them back to Florida for repair. Now that they've arrived back in Ireland the courier company is demanding €40 to release my earphones.

How does the notion of it being my own item, "second-hand", posted for repair services fit into paying duty? Is it still considered the same as a new commercial item?

You should contact them, and show evidence that it was a faulty item that was sent back by you to be repaired. The personal limits when you bring an item in with you are higher, so you wouldn't have been due to pay in the first instance, and shouldn't have to pay now.

Also, being second-hand would not exempt you from paying import charges, it is only ever based on value, not age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Hi, im thinking of buying this: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dell-Inspiron-10-1012-Mini-Netbook-160G-1G-Webcam-1-66-/120639208777?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item1c16a83d49

Its coming from America, and the weight and dimensions from the ad are:
    Height: 25.5 – 32.8 mm (front – back) 1.0 – 1.3 inches (front – back)

Width: 268mm, 10.5 inches

Depth: 197mm, 7.8 inches

Weight: 2.9 lbs with 6 Cell battery

Im not used to customs as I have never been caught for anything before or ordered anything of this price from America, but is there a good chance this will get caught for customs and if so how much about will it get charged for or how is that calculated? Is there a way to get past customs also or anything I can do to lower the price for the customs? Any advice welcome, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

jor el wrote: »
    You should contact them, and show evidence that it was a faulty item that was sent back by you to be repaired. The personal limits when you bring an item in with you are higher, so you wouldn't have been due to pay in the first instance, and shouldn't have to pay now.

Also, being second-hand would not exempt you from paying import charges, it is only ever based on value, not age.

+1

However, you may need to pay the courier company first and then go about getting the refund. That may leave the charge the courier company levies for collecting the charges. Not sure if there is anything you can do about that. Speak to them before you do anything.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Tinie wrote: »
    Hi, im thinking of buying this: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dell-Inspiron-10-1012-Mini-Netbook-160G-1G-Webcam-1-66-/120639208777?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item1c16a83d49

Its coming from America, and the weight and dimensions from the ad are:

Im not used to customs as I have never been caught for anything before or ordered anything of this price from America, but is there a good chance this will get caught for customs and if so how much about will it get charged for or how is that calculated? Is there a way to get past customs also or anything I can do to lower the price for the customs? Any advice welcome, cheers.

Hello Tinie,

The duty rate is 0%, the VAT is 21% over the cost of the item plus the freight costs.

In terms of declaring a lower value, would advise strongly against it. Firstly customs knows, or veru quickly will establish, the correct value of the item in question. Secondly they can request you submit your paypal or credit card receipt, thus estblishing what you paid for it. Including the freight you are looking at a value of aprox Us$ 300 @ 21% = aprox Us$ 60 / € 48 (no calculator to hand, apologies for the rough figures). For that amount I would not take any chances.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Baza210 wrote: »
    How does the notion of it being my own item, "second-hand", posted for repair services fit into paying duty? Is it still considered the same as a new commercial item?

www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/vat-guide-ch03.pdf
    3.13 Non-taxable supplies of goods

Goods supplied free of charge under warranty or guarantee are not liable to VAT but goods given away free of charge in other circumstances are, in general, taxable unless they are c20 or less in value

As jor el says you should contact them with some sort of proof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Tinie,

The duty rate is 0%, the VAT is 21% over the cost of the item plus the freight costs.

In terms of declaring a lower value, would advise strongly against it. Firstly customs knows, or veru quickly will establish, the correct value of the item in question. Secondly they can request you submit your paypal or credit card receipt, thus estblishing what you paid for it. Including the freight you are looking at a value of aprox Us$ 300 @ 21% = aprox Us$ 60 / € 48 (no calculator to hand, apologies for the rough figures). For that amount I would not take any chances.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289
    Oh right, think ill give that a miss then. If I was to buy one for about the same size and price, but it would be coming from england, is there customs charges on that also and if so how much or how would I calculate it? Is there a better chance of not getting caught with a item coming from england?

Tinie wrote: »
    but it would be coming from england, is there customs charges on that also and if so how much or how would I calculate it?
    First post again...
    If the item you are buying is sourced within the EU, then you do not pay duty or VAT, as it will already have been paid. This does not apply to items like cigarettes and alcohol. Some European based sites ship from outside of the EU, so check before you buy. The Channel Islands (Jersey & Guernsey) are not in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭megaten

Probably a stupid question but when customs ask you to email them a copy of your paypal receipt what exactly are they looking for? And should I send it as a screencapped image as an attachment?

megaten wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but when customs ask you to email them a copy of your paypal receipt what exactly are they looking for? And should I send it as a screencapped image as an attachment?

Hello Megaten,

Customs wants to establish the value of the item so they can verify it against the postal declaration made by the sender. The value fir customs duty and VAT will be based on the amount you paid for it.

Screencapped image should be acceptable. If not they will let you know

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

You should have received a receipt by email when you made the Paypal payment, you can just forward that. If you've deleted that email, then a screen grab should suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Doesn't really make economic sense to buy from outside EU anymore. Here is a helpful link http://www.clothing.ie/customs-duties-clothing-imports.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Doge

I've just discovered that the Customs Office us their own Exchange Rate when calculating the Euro Equivalent of other currencies.

The rate is updated once for each month.

Could the OP please add the following link, so people can use it as a reference when calculating if their cost of goods is over the quota accurately.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/businesses/importing/exchange-rates/index.html

That link has been added to the first post now. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When checking tracking and you see this, what usually happens next? A bill for vat & duty is it? If you do not pay this, what can customs do?

Also, if they are seizing the shipment, will they notify you of same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Jakob

This happened me a couple of weeks back, they sent me out a letter requesting that I email them the paypal receipt of what I had bought. On receiving the receipt they released the package which was delivered by An Post. They charged me VAT plus 6 euro for An Post for somethin' or other which was payed to the postman on delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Igawa

Sounds weird.Two weeks ago, i bought an item from US ebay, when the package comes with a sticker indicate that i need to pay custom charge around 60 euros. But i have already got the parcel. Should i still need to pay it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

More info needed.
    Value of package, postage, courier, description of custom charges etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Igawa

Thanks for your reply. The sheet list the Date, Customs No, Parcel No, My name and address, the amount, and said " all payments must be returned to AN Post one the day the parcel is delivered"

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Whats the deal with importing parcels costing less than €22 every 2-3 weeks instead of buying in bulk? Will this get flagged as evasion of fees or is it ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Devia wrote: »
    Whats the deal with importing parcels costing less than €22 every 2-3 weeks instead of buying in bulk? Will this get flagged as evasion of fees or is it ok?

The postage and packing costs are likely to be disproportionately high. For example, buying two CDs from Amazon.com has postage and packing costs of the equivalent of €7.00, leaving only €15 for the discs. The savings would need to be enormous to outweigh postage costs of about 1/3rd of the overall delivery.

Devia wrote: »
    You should be fine.
    nompere wrote: »
    The postage and packing costs are likely to be disproportionately high.
    I used to order lots of memory cards from mymemory.co.uk who are basesd in jersey. They had free/included postage on their items so I used to place several different orders at the same time. This ensured they were all sent in separate packets all under €22. I never had customs onto me.

I think some cigarette seller shipped 20 smokes at a time from Spain, a subscription service, it was not worth collecting the duty on individual packets so they let them through even though they were liable.

Revenue do talk of "consignments" I am not sure if they all arrived on the same day if it could be deemed a consignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Igawa wrote: »
    Sounds weird.Two weeks ago, i bought an item from US ebay, when the package comes with a sticker indicate that i need to pay custom charge around 60 euros. But i have already got the parcel. Should i still need to pay it ?

yeah you still have to pay it! if you dont they will usually get a debt collector to to collect the fee

For example, buying two CDs from Amazon.com has postage and packing costs of the equivalent of €7.00, leaving only €15 for the discs.

Amazon ship from within the EU, so there's no need to worry about consignment value. You will not be charged anything extra upon delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Amazon ship from within the EU, so there's no need to worry about consignment value. You will not be charged anything extra upon delivery.

That's why I referred to Amazon.com - where the charges are higher, they are outside the EU and they don't do free delivery to Ireland.

That's why I referred to Amazon.com

Ah, yes, but you would never choose that site unless the product wasn't available from the UK site, or unless they refuse to ship (like Kindles!).

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

rubadub wrote: »
    I used to order lots of memory cards from mymemory.co.uk who are basesd in jersey. They had free/included postage on their items so I used to place several different orders at the same time. This ensured they were all sent in separate packets all under €22. I never had customs onto me.

That's something along the lines of what I want to do except it would be from China and there would be at least 2 weeks between orders. I just wanted to make sure that my address wouldn't get flagged by revenue in the long run even though everything is technically above board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

That's why I referred to Amazon.com - where the charges are higher, they are outside the EU and they don't do free delivery to Ireland.

Amazon.com ship from the US. but they do give you the option (pay a little bit more) to have it shipped DDP which means that the VAT and Duty is billed back to them so what you pay on the website is all you pay..

Advertisement