Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi all
    Sorry I'm hoping someone might be able to help I'm looking to buy a guinness tap from the UK for abt 200 pounds but am struggling to work out if I'll get caught for vat and import charges.
    Does any know how much roughly it would be?? Cheers in advance!

Mod-Moved to the VAT/Duty thread. All your answers are in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

whiterebel wrote: »
    Mod-Moved to the VAT/Duty thread. All your answers are in the first post.

Cheers didn't know where to put that post!
    Still unclear from reading the 1st post abt the Duty id end up paying.
    I can't find it on it list on revenue website, guinness tap seems to be an outlier 🙈

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Everything is included in the Taric, down blood and human organs. You have to dig it’s not going to say “Guinness tap” it will be under valve or pumps presumably. The supplier in the UK might have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

Hi all, hope someone can help with a work question here. Weve got a grant to buy equipment for the job we're in and one of the items is a camera for €3000.00 It is ready to be shipped now once we pay invoice but we just thought could we be charged from customs on arrival for this. It is coming form the US, many thanks in advance...

Yes you will. You can work out all the charges here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554. Check the first post in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Could anyone advise me on this?

I purchased an item from eBay UK. Total cost was £20.20 including postage , this amounted to €24.39 taken from my bank account.
    Expected to get a email to pay something.
    However I got one this evening looking for €12.94
    In email it states customs value €41.05 which I can't understand really

It's not very clear how you can look for clarification or any form of customer service.
    Can anyone advise how to query this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

big_drive wrote: »

I purchased an item from eBay UK. Total cost was £20.20 including postage , this amounted to €24.39 taken from my bank account.

It's not very clear how you can look for clarification or any form of customer service.

Who sent you the email

€12.94 sounds like the VAT + An Post's €7 handling fee (at least I think it's €7)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It should be €5.61 + their handling fee, but it should state that one is their handling fee, it would not be all the one charge.

Also, I have seen it mentioned here that the €6 negligible value is scrapped, but I cannot find any information about it online anywhere, so maybe it is not scrapped yet? If not, then you shouldn't owe anything. But may need to double check that first.

EDIT - Regarding how to query it, there should be an email address or contact number in the email you were sent, contact them and ask them where they got that value from.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

if the total paid including was below 26 euro then revenue do not want to collect any vat and no handling charge should be levied. That is until 1st of July when the rules change.

Something does not add up here.

€6 lower collection was scrapped in early January. Revenue removed all mention of it from their documentation.

• Advertisement

Who sent you the email

€12.94 sounds like the VAT + An Post's €7 handling fee (at least I think it's €7)

Email from An Post, i used address pal. I see €3.50 was An post fee which I'm fine with but I can't understand how value was decided at 41.05 so vat at 9.44

The only thing was it's an item of clothing which is second hand? They'd hardly put it's new value on it?
    It's genuinely used with no tags etc. But could they think I asked the seller to remove tags to try avoid something. I can clearly show I paid £20 for it not including the postage

Email from An Post, i used address pal. I see €3.50 was An post fee which I'm fine with but I can't understand how value was decided at 41.05 so vat at 9.44

The only thing was it's an item of clothing which is second hand? They'd hardly put it's new value on it?
    It's genuinely used with no tags etc. But could they think I asked the seller to remove tags to try avoid something. I can clearly show I paid £20 for it not including the postage
    How much was Address Pal before their handling fee?
    Add the item value and addresspal charge to get vat + €3.50

There will be a difference in price than having it posted direct. I think also, the bigger/heavier the item, the higher the price from addresspal = higher vat.

€6 lower collection was scrapped in early January. Revenue removed all mention of it from their documentation.
    Not doubting it, but I can only find this mention of it -
    3.9 Waiver of small amountsThe practice of not collecting Import VAT amounting to €6 or less on any one consignment is likely to be discontinued shortly. This is in line with a similar change on the Customs duty side when thepractice of not collecting amounts less that €10 was discontinued when the Union Customs Codecame into operation on the 01/05/2016.
    From here - https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/customs/import-export-policy/customs-manual-on-import-vat.pdf

Which was updated in February.

Suckit wrote: »
    How much was Address Pal before their handling fee?
    Add the item value and addresspal charge to get vat + €3.50

There will be a difference in price than having it posted direct. I think also, the bigger/heavier the item, the higher the price from addresspal = higher vat.

Address pal fee is 6.50 but that's a totally separate payment

This isn't a big or heavy item, it's a pair of trousers

Believe me, there was a big row about it on here and consumer issues in January. There was a poster who kept posting the links on revenue that the lower limit was €6, and as fast as he posted them, they were removed. There is still one or two documents floating around, but its definitely gone. They changed it to lower limit valuation of €22 instead, which is going next month.

€6.50 is added on to the value for the VAT calculation.

As above. €6.50 added.

So the item was €24.39 + €6.50 = €30.89 + €7.10 VAT of the total price - This is a handy site to use - https://www.calculatevat.net/index.php
    €37.99 + €3.50 handling should be the total paid.
    Believe me, there was a big row about it on here and consumer issues in January. There was a poster who kept posting the links on revenue that the lower limit was €6, and as fast as he posted them, they were removed. There is still one or two documents floating around, but its definitely gone. They changed it to lower limit valuation of €22 instead, which is going next month.
    Gotcha. I didn't/don't doubt you. Just that I couldn't find anything about it at all. Now I know why. Thanks.

Suckit wrote: »
    As above. €6.50 added.

So the item was €24.39 + €6.50 = €30.89 + €7.10 VAT of the total price - This is a handy site to use - https://www.calculatevat.net/index.php
    €37.99 + €3.50 handling should be the total paid.

Gotcha. I didn't/don't doubt you. Just that I couldn't find anything about it at all. Now I know why. Thanks.

Brilliant thanks for that explanation, that probably explains it.
    I wasn't aware the 6.50 is added too. It's an eye opener really, the cost has crept up to almost what item would be brand new

Brilliant thanks for that explanation, that probably explains it.
    I wasn't aware the 6.50 is added too. It's an eye opener really, the cost has crept up to almost what item would be brand new

First post in the thread explains most of what you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Has anyone successfully reclaimed UK VAT on something that they imported ? Their revenue office hasn't replied to my enquiries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

sbkenn wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully reclaimed UK VAT on something that they imported ? Their revenue office hasn't replied to my enquiries.

Surely that is a query for the UK tax authorities. Nothing to do with revenue here.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Surely that is a query for the UK tax authorities. Nothing to do with revenue here.
    I did say "THEIR revenue"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are you claiming as an individual or as a business?

An individual. I have paid IR VAT on import

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

An individual. I have paid IR VAT on import

There are procedures for businesses to reclaim UK VAT on imported goods but I am not aware of anything similar for individuals

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

NM, just found that the VAT limit means the order must be in Ireland on 30th June at the latest to avoid payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Just had a shipment held by customs from Singapore, seller put incorrect valuation on package ($38 in instead of $250 inclusive of $60 shipping).

Its actually items of clothing, does anyone know what kind of duty i'm going to have to pay on this?

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Just had a shipment held by customs from Singapore, seller put incorrect valuation on package ($38 in instead of $250 inclusive of $60 shipping).

Its actually items of clothing, does anyone know what kind of duty i'm going to have to pay on this?

Mod - See first post in thread. You're going to have to find the tariff codes for the duty rate. Link is in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Mod - See first post in thread. You're going to have to find the tariff codes for the duty rate. Link is in the post

Thanks a million

Cannot for the life of me locate the correct code for clothing, does anyone know it off hand?

I have feeling charges will now be applicable on value I paid for items ($250 instead of $38 which is fair enough), but I would like to know how much these charges are before committing to DHL delivering.

I see a previous poster mention FedEx deliver before seeking charges, I do not want to receive request of £250 import tax to be paid after they clear item following my proof of purchase being provided. I'd request it be returned to sender instead to be honest.

I had something similar with FedEx before, I received my items but FedEx sent me import taxes bill a few weeks later. Bought 2 items from Tarte cosmetics for €82 and later received letter seeking €39 taxes, how was this calculated? Is VAT not only 23%?

Just trying to get an idea of how much i'll be stung for on $250 worth of clothing from Singapore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Thanks a million

Cannot for the life of me locate the correct code for clothing, does anyone know it off hand?

I have feeling charges will now be applicable on value I paid for items ($250 instead of $38 which is fair enough), but I would like to know how much these charges are before committing to DHL delivering.

I see a previous poster mention FedEx deliver before seeking charges, I do not want to receive request of £250 import tax to be paid after they clear item following my proof of purchase being provided. I'd request it be returned to sender instead to be honest.

I had something similar with FedEx before, I received my items but FedEx sent me import taxes bill a few weeks later. Bought 2 items from Tarte cosmetics for €82 and later received letter seeking €39 taxes, how was this calculated? Is VAT not only 23%?

Just trying to get an idea of how much i'll be stung for on $250 worth of clothing from Singapore.

I bought a CD from Japan last month - cost was €45. The Fedex bill was €25 - made up of €10 VAT + €15 handling charge.

Advertisement