Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tiegan

But VAT is charged on cost of goods + shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is but customs duty does not apply if the intrinsic value of the goods is less than 150. It is all in the link I posted

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tiegan

Wasn't sure if @TheGunns was aware that it would still be liable for VAT even if it wasn't liable for duty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm absolutely livid...and I can't contact an post on any phone number posted online.

Recently purchased a car from the UK only to discover when I got home that the car mats were missing. Dealer agreed to post them to me. I get the letter today from an post customs valuing the car mats at €465.71 and want me to pay a further €204.49 to release them.

Apart from just giving up on my car mats that are MINE what can I do to avoid being extorted. Because that's exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Hi just received an item this morning from the UK.

it was in my letterbox with the anpost "customs due" letter for 11e for the item. I thought they held the item until the customs was paid?

The fact that I received the item can i just ignore this customs? or would that be bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I got one of those letters that arrived the day after the parcel has been delivered. Like yours it was for a very small amount so I didnt pay it. no issues afterwards.

I'm still waiting on a reply to emails sent to an post a week ago. Still no car mats. It's extortion.

Has anyone a contact email or a phone number they've had success in contacting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Someone in the US wants to send me a gift (a genuine gift) that's worth $3k. Will I have to pay charges on it? I believe there's a threshold above which charges have to be paid - how much is it likely to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

ordered something from Amazon.Co.uk and used address pal. It was subject for Vat which I have paid but on the box the return to sender is Luxembourg.

iv double checked on my Amazon account and there it is, it came from Luxembourg

should I have been charged VaT?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You used Address Pal, so yes..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

just about to buy a suitcase for under 150 ear from Tripp. First of the the site say, orders under €150 free from customs duty

but in small print says the following:

"For orders over €150, a customs duty is payable because Tripp is a UK based company and not in the EU. There may be additional customs clearance related charges but you will be contacted and advised on these by the carrier DPD ahead of delivery.

Please note that we have no control over these charges and will not be able to advise what they might be. Unfortunately we are not able to offer any further assistance on this matter. We would advise you to check the import charges applicable before you place your order."

Hard to know if they are paying the charges (vat). Anyone ordered with them before?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They are only talking about Duty. You would need to ask them to clarify if they are paying:

a) VAT in Ireland and

b) are they taking off the UK VAT.

I would say they aren't paying Irish VAT if they are warning of duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

yeah I think you are right. Painful. Will sent them an email. Thanks

Edit: Good news. They came back immediately and said they apply Irish Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

I ordered from them last year (order under €150) without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Hi there,

I ordered some products from china that were 112.50 plus 37.96 plus for shipping. I had to pay VAT on the order with the seller so that is an extra 34.61.

When the product was delivered by UPS, there was a charge for 54 euro plus 18 euro handling fee. I am presuming this fee is for custom duty? But from reading the first post, I shouldnt have to pay custom duty unless the order items are above 150 euro (not including shipping).

Can anyone offer advice?

Separately, is the duty charged on the product + VAT or just on the base cost of the product?

Thanks

duty calculated first, added to cost price, then VAT including freight. UPS clearance €15.00 +VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Thanks for the reply.

So how it has worked I think in my case is, VAT on the item plus freight, which brought it above 150 Euros, and I was then charged Import Duty on this. How do I go about disputing these charges, is it UPS or customs I go to? And if its customs, then would anyone have contact details?

• Advertisement

You have to go to UPS, they do the customs entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭tphase

is it not VAT calculated on cost price + shipping + insurance, duty calculated on cost price?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

Hi,

I have a question regarding import duty on goods shipping from Pakistan to Ireland. A friend of mine wants to order sliotars and footballs from Pakistan for his GAA club..........I have told him he would be liable for import duty and to be honest I don't know what else.

Could someone advise what he is actually liable for? What rate of import duty and what other charges?

Or is there somewhere he can find this information himself?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

An Post getting slower.

Earlier this year, I got emails from them saying charges were due and to pay via the website. On both occasions, the items were delivered the following day after payment.

Got a similar email last Wednesday 14th. Paid straightaway and package only arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

A query regarding on excise duty and VAT when buying alcohol from abroad but within the EU.

I have previously bought small amounts of beer from a craft beer shop in The Netherlands. It’s all for personal use and as said, we’re talking very small amounts here (as in 10-15 cans of beer). My last consignment was stopped by Revenue and “seized” until I paid excise duty and VAT which I did.

In order to stop this happening again, is it possible for me to prepay the excise duty and VAT so I am not getting goods seized again? The company in the Netherlands is not set up to pay this tax in Ireland and the literature received from Revenue appears to state that they could charge me next time.

I would have thought that the Common Market meant it was possible for me to buy this beer legally within the EU?

How can I legally ship very small amounts of alcohol into the state without falling foul of Irish laws?

Quick answer - you can't. You need to pay the charges on arrival

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/individuals/buying-online-personal/from-eu.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

Hi,I recently bought a used item from Northern Ireland,value declared was £5.00 plus £7.00 postage.

Today I got a card from An Post wanting to charge me VAT on the item.

I thought there was no such charges on a package coming in from the North?

I sent a Email to An Post customer service about it,but so far haven't received a response.

Anybody here have any experience of this?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Assuming it was actually shipped from northern ireland there is no VAT due. It is classed as an intra-eu shipment. what email address did you use? there is a specific email address for VAt queries.

Advertisement