Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

Hi,Yes shipped from the North.

I used the Email address from the an post website.

This one.

eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie

I rang An Post customer service and the explanation I got was Northern Ireland Royal Mail send parcels to England to sort regardless of destination,and that is why VAT has been added!

Make of that what you will.

So,looks like I've no other choice but be ripped off to receive my item.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I thought RM had their own sorting office in Newtownabbey? I think I would be contacting RM. I have no faith in anything I am told by An Post!

It's a small amount so I just paid it.

I really couldn't be bothered wasting anymore time or effort.

My faith in An Post is gone now.

It still stings to be ripped off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I ordered some CDs from Northern Ireland last week and they arrived in 2 days, no VAT payable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

I plan to buy a wind turbine from Turkey but they insist on charging me VAT.

Will I end up paying vat twice then on import to Ireland?

If I am VAT registered can claim back VAT payed in Turkey?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

depends. is the vat charged in Turkey Irish VAT that is remitted to the revenue commissioners or Turkish VAT?

The fact that I didn't tell him where I am from, I assume it is Turkish VAT as it is also added to the product on their website which is Turkish registered.

If the seller won't remove local vat on an exported then you will end up paying 2 lots of vat.

After a bit of complaining they gave me another option to buy from their b2b site where they don't charge VAT, result...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 iangreely

I am UK resident Irishman looking at moving back to Ireland in the next year. My UK residency started in 1987.

Can someone point me at where I can find the duty/tax rules on bringing things like an electric car over from the UK? Other than specific large value items I have very little that I would want to bring with me.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Hi can anyone help with how much charges I’d have to pay on a watch bought online from the uk, purchase price is €110, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭tphase

This is a good place for you to start.

ETA Probably help if i included the link.

Post edited by ohnonotgmail on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Received hearing aid batteries from amazon.co.uk. They have charged 23% VAT, even though they are 0% in Republic.

BATTERIES- Standard rate - excludes batteries suitable for use solely or principally for hearing aids and wheelchairs which are zero rated.

I've been on to amazon CS about it, and get the run around. Anyone get their vat back before? How to go about it? If amazon refuse, where to go next?

Do you have link to the product on Amazon?

Was it sold by Amazon or a third party?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It was an Amazon Warehouse Deal, sold and fulfilled by Amazon, shipped from UK. This is an example

They have in the past (pre-Brexit) charged me VAT on a food product - powdered milk. VAT refunded from CS after querying. This one though..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PotatoSpud

If I were to send a box from the UK to myself in Ireland containing a variety of personal belongings (none likely to exceed approx 20 pound in value) would I be subject to vat/import fees?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Advertisement

I ordered goods worth £200 from the UK in August.

The website had a buy one get one free offer so the total cost to me was £100. An amount of £100 was debited to my bank account.

The goods were delivered by Fedex. The packing slip listed the goods at costing £200. The discount wasn't mentioned. Don't know why.

Fedex have now issued me with an invoice for VAT based on the £200. Understandable as they had nothing else to go on.

My order history for the website contains an invoice showing the total cost of £100 (£200 less the discount of £100)

I have forwarded that to Fedex and asked them to recalculate the VAT based on the £100 and to reissue their invoice to me.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained but am wondering if the packing slip had shown the discount and the true cost to me, then what would I have been charged by Fedex? Is the VAT amount due based on value or cost?

See the 1st post in this thread. Discounts are ignored for customs purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

I've bought an $800 camera on ebay from Saudi Arabia. I was charged €826 despite the exchange rate being €796 at the time of payment. So I'm wondering if I have paid VAT already. I contacted ebay but I got the impression the "bot" I was talking to hadn't a clue.

Also what are the chances it may "slip through the net" as I estimate the customs and VAT to end up at around €310 plus the handling fee.

vat on 800 would be nearly 200 so you haven't paid the vat. you just got a terrible exchange rate.

If you're going to purchase from outside the EU you have to be prepared to pay whatever VAT/Duty and charges will accrue. See the 1st post in this thread for links etc for a starting point on importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭tphase

Discounts are not ignored, the price paid is what should be declared

I previously had an issue with a shipment with the list price declared on the invoice. Revenue accepted the price paid as the value once I provided proof and they refunded the difference. That was a few years ago but based on information on the Revenue website, it has not changed

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/individuals/buying-online-personal/outside-eu.aspx

Customs Duty

The customs value on which Customs Duty is calculated is the cost of the goods plus:

• transport (including postage)
    • any insurance
    • and
    • any handling charges

to deliver the goods to the EU.

VAT

VAT is payable on goods at the rate that would apply if they were bought in Ireland. The value of the goods for calculating the VAT is the customs value (described above) plus:

• any duty or other tax (excluding VAT) payable
    • and
    • any transport, insurance or handling costs after the goods arrive in the EU.

Post edited by tphase on

That information has definitely changed in the last year or so. There was a big debate about it on another thread. It seems they only apply the discount rules to Business transactions, rather than personal transactions now.

I'll change the opening post in the thread now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've got something being posted down from Armagh. An Post tracking saying there's customs fee on it. It wasn't UK - N. Ireland - Ireland. IT was straight up north to south, and as far as I'm aware shouldn't be anything.

Now it might well be a standard message, but anyone seen this? I've had a couple of things posted down in the last year from a couple of quid to 150-200 quid and first time I've had this.

Scroll back up to post 2122 and the next few after it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers. That's a pain in the arse. If it originates and goes through elsewhere in the UK, it's still supposed to be exempt.

Advertisement