Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running club in Maynooth?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there's a running club in Maynooth? I've seen from other posts that there are clubs in Leixlip etc but these don't really suit.

Or failing that would there be any other 20 something females out there that really want to start jogging but, like myself, don't have the motivation to do it by themselves? I'm not from Maynooth and I work in Dublin so I don't know many people in the area. I'm thinking about starting the Couch to 5k programme( http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ) but I think it would be that much easier if I had a jogging buddy!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Hey Newbie,
    I don't know of any official running club in Maynooth-there might be one affiliated with the college, if you've studied there, I think you might be allowed use the facilities? Although I could be wrong about that. Or you could post in the Edu section on boards here, there's an NUIMaynooth board with fairly regular posters, they might know more than I do!
    I'm currently trying to get myself out and about to do the Flora mini-marathon in June, so if you want someone to go running with now and again, let me know. I've already done a week or two of the couch to 5k programme, and found it really great. However, that was about 2 weeks ago, so I'm probably back to the start again!
    Carton House & the grounds of the college are both great places to go running if you want to head out on your own-plenty of people running/walking around there too!
    Either way, enjoy it when you start, it's a great feeling when you complete the first week!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there's a running club in Maynooth? I've seen from other posts that there are clubs in Leixlip etc but these don't really suit.

Or failing that would there be any other 20 something females out there that really want to start jogging but, like myself, don't have the motivation to do it by themselves? I'm not from Maynooth and I work in Dublin so I don't know many people in the area. I'm thinking about starting the Couch to 5k programme( http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ) but I think it would be that much easier if I had a jogging buddy!

Thanks!

Hi newbie_jogger - I'm involved in the athletics club in Leixlip (Le Chéile AC) and can confirm that there is no club in maynooth. We have many members that come from Maynooth (and further west) for out Fit4Life sessions on a wednesday night. If transport is an issue we are a 10 minute walk from the train station at Louisa Bridge, 2 minute walk from the 66 bus stop and there are a number of people who drive and can bring you once you get to know them :)

You are right to find a running buddy because it will make it easier to motivate you to train and achieve your objectives. If you need any more information PM me.

You should also check out the Athletics forum here as there are plenty who are like you starting out running and always good advise available and shared.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 prash

hey newbie jogger,

I started jogging quite recently myself and I am looking to keep the motivation levels high. Also, would anybody know of a decent running track around maynooth ? I currently use the carton house walking route but its not that great for jogging since there are a lot of members driving around the golf course.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tweenas

Hi,there is no running clubs in maynooth but if you are looking for somewhere to run, there is Donadee forest which is about a 15 min drive from maynooth. It is a super place to run. It costs €4 to get in or you can buy a €30 year pass from the coffee shop. We go running there 2 or 3 times a week, its brill.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

prash wrote: »
    I am looking to keep the motivation levels high. Also, would anybody know of a decent running track around maynooth ?

Cheers

Hi Prash,

check out previous post from LeCheile;
    if you want help keeping motivated, Wednesday evening in Leixlip is the place to be.

There are runners of ALL standards, quite a few from Maynooth area.

You WILL meet runners of a similar standard, your running WILL improve, and most importantly you WILL enjoy it.
    lecheile wrote: »
    I'm involved in the athletics club in Leixlip (Le Chéile AC) and can confirm that there is no club in maynooth. We have many members that come from Maynooth (and further west) for out Fit4Life sessions on a wednesday night. If transport is an issue we are a 10 minute walk
    rom the train station at Louisa Bridge, 2 minute walk from the 66 bus stop and there are a number of people who drive and can bring you once you get to know them :)

You are right to find a running buddy because it will make it easier to motivate you to train and achieve your objectives.

You should also check out the Athletics forum here as there are plenty who are like you starting out running and always good advise available and shared.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 L.B

I am in the same boat as you at the moment - I am a total beginner looking to start jogging too and am living in Maynooth but not from here so could do with a running buddy. I think there is a running track in the college and I know there are a couple of jogging trails in Carton House which are good, but like I said I am totally new to jogging and haven't exerted myself in a couple of months so might be a bit slow. Would love to give it a shot though if you do need a buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Castletown house in Celbridge would be a good spot for jogging id say.......theres a new back entrance just off the M4 motorway at Leixlip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 prash

hey l.b. i am off tomorrow evening so count me in if you wanna start off. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ruana

Hi OP, I live in Lucan now but when I lived in Maynooth I used to run between Maynooth and Leixlip down the Canal. I think it was a good distance, maybe about 5 miles? If you go about 5 there's usually a good few people around though I didn't run there in the dark nights just in case! As someone said before there is the track around Maynooth but I got bored running in circles!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I'd love to join in, I have started running a number of times this year but I always lose motivation...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maconha

fonda wrote: »
    Castletown house in Celbridge would be a good spot for jogging id say.......theres a new back entrance just off the M4 motorway at Leixlip

yeah ive been joggin there, im finding it hard to gauge distance there....the inner track run- entrance - river small bridge - across to car park and then avenue...roughly 2.5km....?
    seems a great place to jog, relatively quiet and a nice setting
    m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FeistyOneYouAre

St. Coca's Athletic Club is located in Kilcock, 4 miles from Maynooth. The club train on the local running track (possibly the only non grass track in Kildare).

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

hi ya guys

where do you start off when youre running in the grounds of carton house.... What side do you park? how long does it take? what distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Just wanted to add my own pitch in here (sorry Lecheile :o) for Celbridge Athletics.

We also have a fit4life group on Wednesday nights, club nights on Tuesday and Thursday, and most weeks we have a group out on Sunday mornings

Club website is:
    http://www.celbridgeac.com/

In terms of local places to run - already mentioned but both Castletown House and Carton are great places to run (in daylight).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Choc Affair

hey folks! i'd be interested in getting started up running myself. mid twenties and a total beginner at running but i do keep fit at other sports. has a group formed here or would people be interested in getting together? im in leixlip:D i can travel and will most deffo pass out after 10 mins!!!!! but i am willing to try....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

hey folks! i'd be interested in getting started up running myself. mid twenties and a total beginner at running but i do keep fit at other sports. has a group formed here or would people be interested in getting together? im in leixlip:D i can travel and will most deffo pass out after 10 mins!!!!! but i am willing to try....:p

If you are in Leixlip check out le cheile http://lecheileac.blogspot.com/

drop up to track behind Amenities Centre any Monday at 7pm,
    or even better Wednesday at 8pm (bigger group, more comprehensive session).
    There are all standards, all ages, C25K group, and most importantly it's fun!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Ché%C3%ADle-Athletic-Club/93951296958?sk=info

Ref Tag Rugby post, quite a few of the crew play Tag in Barnhall,
    so might 'kill 2 birds with 1 stone'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Choc Affair

Cheers, thanks a million. Think I'll call up Wednesday and try it out then... hope I'm not way out of my league.. total beginner!!:(

Cheers, thanks a million. I WILL call up Wednesday and try it out then... hope I'm not way out of my league.. total beginner!!:(

see you on Wednesday.

Make sure & introduce yourself, it's a very welcoming crowd, but with 40/50 people we may not spot you!

(you won't be out of your league, lots of beginners.)

Advertisement