Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S on the new Licence

Options
  • 23-03-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have 2 rifles, both with "MODERATORS", on my licence application forms, I ticked the "SILENCER" box, not only that, I also gave the make and model on each form. When I received my Licences there was nothing to show that I was permitted to have these, I spoke to my hunting buddy and he received his with a big S on them?, does this mean that i am now the proud owner of illegal sound mod's? I am trying to contact my Garda, but on hols for a few weeks.
    Any ideas out there?

P.S.. sorry if this has been asked before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'm in the same boat

Meeting the Super in 2 weeks to discuss this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

medicman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have 2 rifles, both with "MODERATORS", on my licence application forms, I ticked the "SILENCER" box, not only that, I also gave the make and model on each form. When I received my Licences there was nothing to show that I was permitted to have these, I spoke to my hunting buddy and he received his with a big S on them?, does this mean that i am now the proud owner of illegal sound mod's? I am trying to contact my Garda, but on hols for a few weeks.
    Any ideas out there?

P.S.. sorry if this has been asked before.

I'll go one better. In addition to supplying the information and ticking the box, I was then invited in to the local station to meet the Inspector dealing with licenses to discuss my need for the moderator.

The meeting went great and he signed off an additional form while sitting in front of me and told me I had nothing to worry about, that I would get my licenses in due course with the permission for the 'silencer'.

Licenses arrived today, 6+ months after application and interview with no mention of moderator nor no sign of the 'S'.

Going to make a follow up call and see how I get on. This is becoming a saga :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

"S" in the bottom left-hand corner of your license if you are granted the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

I'm in the same boat, went to great lengths with the Sgt to ensure all the necessary additional paperwork and justification were with my application. He even rang me at work to confirm that every thing I had submitted and he had discussed it with the Super and all was ok. License arrived but no S on it so I rang him. He checked pulse and said that I was definitely authorised to have a moderator. He gave me an authorisation form to cover me for having the moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

Thanks for all the replys, i hope someday that this country will wake up and get its bed in order, this is a buisness they have set up and its running like a 10yr old was in charge. What we need is a professional approach to the licence and people there who care about their jobs, as it is very plain to see that they are not doing the job correctly, i for one would be fired if i was screwing up in my job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

I applied also for a moderator for my .223. The gards told me that it would not be a problem - and my license arrived also without the mysterious 'S'.

On the back of the license it states though "... subject to any conditions which have been applied and advised." My interpretation of this is - I did apply for a moderator, wasn't advised not to use one - so I have a permission to use it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Don't give up hope yet;)

I applied for licence with mod on Oct 5th. Approved, granted, paid for and licence back within three weeks but no magic S on the front.

Checked with FO who said definately granted.

Anyway, changed rifle and submitted substitution, again with mod, at the beginning of January.

New copy of licence for the original rifle - this time with the S arrived last week. Great except I sold it last Christmas.

No sign of updated licence of course:(

I think that there was a glitch in the system that meant licences were originally printed without the S and they are in the course of replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

i also applied for moderator got no S on new licence, contacted FO and got a letter a week later to say i could have in my posession and use a moderator on rifle with the following serial no.*******:D

Advertisement