Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to launch HTC Desire

• 23-03-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Well according to the latest magazine! On top me this the HTC HD2 and Touch Pro 2 will be available to order. Just thought id pass it on as I didn't see it posted yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

Does anyone have any idea when the release date for this is on Vodafone or 02?? I see meteor are selling it (currently sold out) but I'm worried about their network coverage!

Go Team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Well according to the latest magazine! On top me this the HTC HD2 and Touch Pro 2 will be available to order. Just thought id pass it on as I didn't see it posted yet.

Seriously? You haven't seen any mention of it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Well, that was posted nearly a month ago the day the new brochures came out! And here we are a month later with still no idea of when it'll b out!

Apologies - I didn't notice the date on your original post. Damn you bumpers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Good luck to Vodafone/O2. I'll enjoy seeing how their more than likely locked/branded phones with their poor value price plans compete against Meteor especially since the Desire isn't affected by the 2g/3g issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

partyatmygaff

Thats exactly what i was trying to find out.

Was looking to get a desire on meteor but was hearing about problems for some on other handsets.

Have you heard it confirmed the desire is not having the same issues?

If I find it in stock at a Meteor shop, I'm switching.. I'm not even sure why I was staying with Vodafone, can't think of one good reason now.

Solyad, haven't seen any complaints re the 2G/3G problems as reported on the Hero, I'm still looking.

Solyad wrote: »
    partyatmygaff

Thats exactly what i was trying to find out.

Was looking to get a desire on meteor but was hearing about problems for some on other handsets.

Have you heard it confirmed the desire is not having the same issues?
    Well nobody here on boards has complained about the Desire having the same issues as the Hero/Legend and I personally haven't had the issue for *almost* a week now (Can't believe it's been 5 days already since I bought the phone :eek:). A mate of mine bought the phone aswell on a port over from Vodafone and he too hasn't had the problem. I think it's fairly safe to say the HTC Desire works pretty well on Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Well nobody here on boards has complained about the Desire having the same issues as the Hero/Legend and I personally haven't had the issue for *almost* a week now (Can't believe it's been 5 days already since I bought the phone :eek:). A mate of mine bought the phone aswell on a port over from Vodafone and he too hasn't had the problem. I think it's fairly safe to say the HTC Desire works pretty well on Meteor.

the last few posts on this thread would indicate the problem is still there on the desire http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055883412&page=2

the last few posts on this thread would indicate the problem is still there on the desire http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055883412&page=2
    Not really. The last few reports tell of one person on the Meteor forums (His name is elsparkio) who has problems with the Desire. This same person also had major problems with the Hero. I haven't seen anyone else but him complaining about that issue. The problem is pretty rare on the desire.

• Advertisement

Want to get this phone but might give it a month and see how it goes.

Its so new it might take a while to show problems.

How is the phone all the same? Looks really nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Totoro_

I might get it especially as the meteor plans are crap :(

Totoro_ wrote: »
    I might get it especially as the meteor plans are crap :(
    Compared to the great value plans Vodafone have? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Totoro_

Compared to the great value plans Vodafone have? :confused:

Well more texts.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

The problem is that Meteor has MUCH WORSE 3G coverage than Vodafone and Meteor.

thegoth wrote: »
    The problem is that Meteor has MUCH WORSE 3G coverage than Vodafone and Meteor.

Em, care to redraft that statement? I'm guessing you meant 02 or 3

So how bad is their coverage, anyone got comparison maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

anecdotally ill back up meteor having worse 3g than o2 and vodafone. Been with all 3 in last 12 months and cover is defo more patchy with meteor. Generally cheaper though...

Keith186 wrote: »
    anecdotally ill back up meteor having worse 3g than o2 and vodafone. Been with all 3 in last 12 months and cover is defo more patchy with meteor. Generally cheaper though...

Where in the country are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I am from the midlands and outside of towns like Athlone...... they have poor 3G coverage. Also, their coverage drops in and out. I have a Samsung Meteor handset and the coverage drops in and out while driving along roads like the M6. My brother has a Nokia with Meteor and has the same issue. I also have an O2 6220C and have no much issues with that phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

JustinOval wrote: »
    Where in the country are you?

I'm in meath. There 2g coverage works better in my house than the others do though. I must have lead paint!

• Advertisement

Posted this over on VF View so said id post it here, would love for it not to be true but she seems pretty sure!:

So, just after having a conversation with a rep for HTC about 20 mins ago (and got a nice gift pack off her!!) and she informed me that at a meeting last week it was decided that Vodafone was going to release the Legend now and not the Desire. Needless to say im fuming!
    If this is the case i think ill be moving two numbers away from Vodafone (and the loss of 5 or 6 others of people I know who have been waiting for this phone!), why does it seem that we are always getting shafted? I know the iphone is just out and is the big selling point for VF but not everyone wants an iphone and we seem to be always settling for second best with a lot of phones e.g we get the tattoo, Meteor get the Hero. Now we are getting the Legend (supposedely) yet Meteor will have the Legend and the Desire.
    Can someone from Vodafone clarify this, im hoping that the girl simply got confused but she seemed pretty much definite!
    Cheers

If true then we've really been told that our opinions dont matter IMO!

Edit: Got hands on with the Desire which I have to say just made me want it more!!!

Posted this over on VF View so said id post it here, would love for it not to be true but she seems pretty sure!:

So, just after having a conversation with a rep for HTC about 20 mins ago (and got a nice gift pack off her!!) and she informed me that at a meeting last week it was decided that Vodafone was going to release the Legend now and not the Desire. Needless to say im fuming!
    If this is the case i think ill be moving two numbers away from Vodafone (and the loss of 5 or 6 others of people I know who have been waiting for this phone!), why does it seem that we are always getting shafted? I know the iphone is just out and is the big selling point for VF but not everyone wants an iphone and we seem to be always settling for second best with a lot of phones e.g we get the tattoo, Meteor get the Hero. Now we are getting the Legend (supposedely) yet Meteor will have the Legend and the Desire.
    Can someone from Vodafone clarify this, im hoping that the girl simply got confused but she seemed pretty much definite!
    Cheers

Edit: Got hands on with the Desire which I have to say just made me want it more!!!

I've been with Vodafone so long now it feels like part of the family, a family pet.

...but I'll still take it to the yard and shoot it, if that's what's best.

Goodbye Vodafone. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Cheers

Haha, jesus christ. Y'know I'd been wondering if I had jumped the gun by grabbing the desire on Meteor on launch day, because I honestly thought Vodafone were going to come in and undercut Meteor's price and contracts.

What a joke. All the demand for the phone on their forums here, it's been sold out in the UK... and this is their big idea!

Genius.

JustinOval wrote: »
    I've been with Vodafone so long now it feels like part of the family, a family pet.

...but I'll still take it to the yard and shoot it, if that's what's best.

Goodbye Vodafone. :D

Another point I forgot to mention is that the rep told me she was not to bring the Desire into any VF store for demo under any circumstances and to only bring the Legend (I got her to get the dsire from her car!)

Im really hoping she got herself arse backwards and meant to bring in the Desire as opposed to the Legend and just got confused with names!
    Im going to ride it out for another couple of weeks max and if there is no clarification either way then I think it could be goodbye time!

Another point I forgot to mention is that the rep told me she was not to bring the Desire into any VF store for demo under any circumstances and to only bring the Legend (I got her to get the dsire from her car!)

Im really hoping she got herself arse backwards and meant to bring in the Desire as opposed to the Legend and just got confused with names!
    Im going to ride it out for another couple of weeks max and if there is no clarification either way then I think it could be goodbye time!
    A HTC rep whose job pretty much revolves around the few phones they sell on Irish networks won't get confused that easily. When Meteor said it was exclusive they might have actually meant it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They also said the legend was exclusive

adrian522 wrote: »
    They also said the legend was exclusive
    As of now it still is. No network is selling either the Legend or Desire in Ireland but meteor. O2 and Vodafone have the desire "announced" but as you can see these don't always work out according to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

She was told not to bring the Desire into the store under any circumstances?

Hmm. That might be the clearest indication yet that they're trying to avoid competition for the iPhone.

I'm guessing they got a lot of 3GS in stock and want to sell them off at the maximum price before the new iPhone hits the shelves later this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

Good luck to Vodafone/O2. I'll enjoy seeing how their more than likely locked/branded phones with their poor value price plans compete against Meteor especially since the Desire isn't affected by the 2g/3g issue.

While the 2g/3g problem is less reported on the Desire/Legend than the Hero on the Meteor network it is still happening. Suggest you read the Meteor forum where the problems of signal loss has been reported.

I'm still tempted to switch over if Vodafone don't get their act together and announce a release date, handset price and price plan.

Advertisement