Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate driving fools

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I think the 1 series looks hidious. Every time I see a 1 series I just think they bought it for the badge. The cheapest bottom of the range BMW model and I ask myself why don't you buy a proper specced one instead of the bottom of the bucket model? Simple as you probably cannot afford a nicer one, so the badge envy errupts the snob inside you and end up buying a 116i or 316i you probably could not afford in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mondeo wrote: »
    I think the 1 series looks hidious. Every time I see a 1 series I just think they bought it for the badge.
    Let me get this straight. You think it looks hideous, therefore everyone who has one must have bought it for the badge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has anyone on here that dont like the 1 series actually driven one? I wasnt quite sure on them before I drove my GF's one, but I like them. And the coupe looks even nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I quite like the 1 series coupe, its like an newer version of the E30 coupe

3070701.001_1008super1.jpg

bmw-red-14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

alias no.9 wrote: »

hartge-bmw-1series-coupe1.jpg

now that is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Anan1 wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. You think it looks hideous, therefore everyone who has one must have bought it for the badge?

no hes right. your experience of something is bad, then you think that everyone else that does it is an idiot.
    Like i went to school with a thug called Nathan. He was a proper tool. My cousin named their some Nathan. I hated it. All cos i grew up with a thug called Nathan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I looked at the 1 series coupe when I picked up a part for my 5er on Saturday and I did so because it caught my eye there in the showroom. Not for myself but I couldn't help but liking it. I hate the BMW design that came after E39 & E46 - especially interior - and was glad to see it's getting better again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

alias no.9 wrote: »

;)
    bmw01.jpg
    VolvoMan wrote: »
    I have no problem with people who buy a 1 Series if they know what they're about, such as the RWD and their perfect balance/weight distribution.

Only kidding with the pic above, I quite like the look of a well speced 1 coupe but I think they are a huge wasted oppertunity on BMW's part. Engine for engine they are only 40kg lighter than the 3 series and due to the narrower track ect. they are not very well balanced, put a search in google for "135i understeer", quite an unusual trait for a BMW to have. It's only redeeming feature is the beast under the bonnet and some good brakes but as an overall package the 3er coupe is much better balanced proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Having driven the 1 series hatchback (118d) a few times, I've the following to make
    1. It's very easy to get penalty points (the owner of the car has quite a few points)
    2. The pedals are slightly offset to the right
    3. Steering is very direct but at ordinary speeds there is poor feedback
    4. Traction in the dry is good, in the wet the traction control has a lot to to when taking off from the line
    5. It's quite spartan inside I feel
    6. The back seat & Boot are tiny. The Micra at home has a bigger back seat and boot I'd say. The Focus/Golf/Ashtray has a more comfortable back seat and it's easier to get into the back of them.

Most of the time I've driven it I didn't push it hard or anything as it wasn't my car. If I had the money, I would buy one (but it would have to be the 123d)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

BMW's CEO has basically said that BMW buyers buy cars because of the badge, a bit like the way the Toyota Corolla sells simply because it's a Corolla.

The brand is and I quote "strong enough for the company to branch out into building front-wheel drive cars" according to Herr Reithofer.

Ergo BMW can do whatever it feels like because its buyers are disinterested in whether its cars are good once they can tell their neighbours that they drive a BMW.

He has also climbed down from saying that 80% of 1 series owners think it's FWD: what they actually said was it was either they didn't know what wheels it drove or it was FWD, and those 80% were owners of the 3 and 5 door models.

1 series Coupe owners are a different bunch apparently because they "appreciate the driving dynamics of RWD" and nearly all of them knew the car was RWD.

Oh and Herr Reithofer says that "the next 1-series, will be rear-wheel drive, as will all the future varients".

So what he's saying is that badge snobs are gullible and BMW are going to exploit the stupidity willingness of people to pay more for a badge:D:D!

Genius stuff by BMW!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/248431/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

American skateboarders...
    A "vert" is the convertible model of a BMW, genius..

The 1 series, both hatchback and coupe, are cracking cars. No doubt the general customer of a 1' isn't going to be the purist petrolhead, but with a nice spec, the 1 series is an epic premium that won't break the bank..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

It even has that cheeky get out of my way stance / presence as the 2002 of old.

1968_BMW_2002_Front_Corner_1.jpg

Advertisement