Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice re Beef v's round steak from a chef?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I was looking to cook a nice dish for my family last weekend and the leg of lamb looked to small to feed 6 so butcher suggested "no waste in beef" so i went for this but what i got was round steak which he covered in fat and suggested to cook at 180 for 3.5 hours.

after getting smoked out of it with fat everywhere, we had a very well cooked bit of tasteless meat after 2.5 hours.

My question is:

should round steak be cooked in an over? my sisters tell me it should only be used as for stew or minced and used for lasange or speg bol??

feedback much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Personally, I won't use round steak for anything - it has very little flavour and tends to be very dry.
    Stewed, it ends up kind of like cardboard.
    Minced, it has little flavour.
    Roast..well you know what that's like!

I wouldn't go back to that butcher.

Rib on the bone is a great roasting cut.

PS I'm not a chef

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest I would only use it minced in something that is going to be high flavour. I would never ever cook it like your butcher suggested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

round mince is ok when you put extra fat through it. otherwise it's tasteless.

Round roasts are generally bland and tasteless.

It's ok for making salt beef sometimes.

I tend to avoid it for the most part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I feed it to my cats.

But honestly, if I've bought a little too much of it for them and want to use it up (because it's worse frozen and defrosted - even they won't eat it) I slice it so thin you can nearly see through it, and flash fry it for about thirty seconds before stirring it through a warm sauce of some variety.

(E.g. I'll make mushrooms and brocolli in an oyster sauce with a little beef stock, and flash fry the round steak then stir it through the warm sauce and serve immediately over rice.)

Alternatively, trim any fat, put it between two pieces of cling film and hammer the bejesus out of it until it's wafer thin, season it with pepper and flash fry it for 30 seconds on each side in a hot pan, pile it onto a baguette with a pile of fried onions, top with cheese and melt under the grill. Add whatever sauce (ketchup, bbq, brown sauce, mayo, chili, whatever) takes your fancy and scoff as steak sammich.

Advertisement