Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continental Competition Tubs

• 23-03-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Anyone used these? they get good reviews... which are best suited for our fine roads..19mm or 22mm?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Blorg has a pair on his Zipps and has been saying nice things about them.

If it were me, I'd definitely get the 22mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone used these? they get good reviews... which are best suited for our fine roads..19mm or 22mm?

I've ridden them for years. Nice tyre. Not a lightweight low rolling resistance, but I tried them for a year and they are too light for irish roads. Best comprimise between performance and durablity in a tub.

Definitely 22m, more comfortable and more aerodynamic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yep, used these and had no problems. 22mm all the way, as Tunney says, they are actually more aerodynamic too... Plus less chance of death by pothole.

Just released on 20/3/2010
    http://biketechreview.com/tires/rolling-resistance/475-roller-data

While I have some issues with the testing protocol its generally accepted to be valid.

Conti comps will "cost" you 6watts per wheel over the fastest tyre (which is a tub)

However the fatest tyres can be shredded in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They are pretty puncture resistant too?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    They are pretty puncture resistant too?

For a race tyre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have used them just for five races but they seem to roll very nicely, indeed the ride is phenomenal, better than anything else I have tried. Have never used another tubular mind and the wheels are the other variable that is new. I am only using them for races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Conti Competitions are a very good tub but my favourite is the Vittoria CX 23c in black. It is not as dear as the Conti but is a good size for taking potholes. I think the CX 21c is too small for Irish roads. A friend of mine had the Conti GP4000 tub in 22c but is was too small and he punctured 2 of them by getting pinch flats. The Conti Cpmpetition 22c seems to be a bit bigger but still not as big as the vittoria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

FWIW, I got cheap 2nd hand tubular wheels and like blorg, and the ride is fantastic in comparison (I'm the same as him, I don't know which variable is the reason, probably a combination of the two) but to answer your question, I have gone through 3 Vittoria CXs with less than 200km done on them after I being told they were the best money can buy! Since I got the wheels, there has been a Continental Sprinter on the back which has been trouble free after around 2000km and now on the front is a Conti Competition which seems really excellent and much better then the Vittoria equivalent (or else I was just extremely unlucky, three times! :D)...plus I got them for €30 each brand new on Weight Weenies so they were good value but I wouldn't spend this much usually on a tub if I was to get them for CRC, Wiggle etc (€60 each)

EDIT: 22c all the way!

Advertisement