Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stick flakes to sides of a cake

Options
  • 23-03-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

HI,

I made a 10'' Chocolate biscuit cake and I have to decorate it with Cadbury flakes standing up all around the edge and Maltesers covering the top of it. Anybody have any ideas how i can make these stick cause it needs to be transported?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Maybe try some thickly spread chocolate buttercream or ganache?
    That's what I would use. :)

p.s. sounds yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

The cake is nice alright but i probably should have thought of the practicalities and my somewhat limited dessert/ decorating knowledge!!!

Do you think if i melted chocolate just and dabed it on it would set and act like a glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

It might but the chocolate gets cold and solid pretty quickly and may need reheating plus it might damage the flakes.

Both the ganache and the buttercream set quite solidly plus it's very pliable for pushing on the flakes when fresh on - so putting them on will be easy plus when it hardens I'd imagine it would hold the flakes in place.

There are a few great decorators who contribute here who might suggest something better even.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I would use chocolate melted with butter. It wold not set as quickly as just pure chocolate and you would have enough time to fix the flakes. Put you cake on its board into a wide basin or onto a platter and just sprinkle them onto the sides from the packet. Then collect whatever is loose and sprinkle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Cut flakes all to the same desired height, heat up a frying pan until hot, remove from heat, and carefully and briefly press a flake piece onto the pan, melting it, then affix to the side of the cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Peanut butter might work, might sound odd to some put people do not bat an eyelid at peanut butter in chocolate bars like moros or starbars. Nuttela could do the job, again sounds strange as people stick it on bread, but its similar to the stuff in ferrero rochers and other chocolates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I'd say ganache is your best bet. Melted white chocolate is also a brilliant adhesive, you could paint it onto the back off them pretty generously, hold them
    against the cake until they set, they will stay very well stuck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

Just wondering if Kikililly successfully stuck the flakes to the cake and what method you used in the end. Am doing something similar and need some advice - was thinking of using chocolate biscuit fingers instead of flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

I did manage to do this and all i did was melt milk chocolate and put a little dab of it on each flake and it worked perfectly, i also used it to stick maltesers to the top of the cake and it stuck them tight so i was delighted.
    Best of luck with the cake ;)

Advertisement