Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not keen on moses baskets

• 23-03-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,
    looking for some hints and advice if possible? Im not keen on buying a moses basket for our little one (due mid june) for a few reasons; 1) i cant justify cost of basket and stand for just a few weeks, 2) they're tiny - and what if baby is big and simply outgrows it or cant stretch out without hitting the sides etc.
    So what im wondering is i guess, Is what are the other options? What have those of you who didn't get a moses basket do with babs instead?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

a cot or a crib i think is your only other choice. I personally dont like cribs so went with a cot bed as it should last till the baby is 4 as you can take down both side and it looks like a small bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We bought a crib thinking our little lady would be in it for 4-6 months. She was in a cot at 6 weeks! She outgrew it so quickly and was always hanging her arms out the sides. If I knew then what I know now, I would've just bought a cot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

We are expecting our first baby in May. We were given a moses basket so will use it as it cost us nothing, but I certainly wouldn't have bought one.

I would've gone straight to cot/cotbed instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

My gran used a drawer from a chest of drawers for my uncles when they were babies, did the trick til they were old enough to go to cot :)

If you're not keen on putting baby in a cot straight away because they're so big then you could use a sleep positioner like this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Years-Nature-Sensations-Positioner/dp/B000HK89GA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1269371266&sr=8-1
    in the cot to make baby feel more secure.
    I've bought a similar one for my baby, just waiting for it to arrive in the post.
    I've ordered this type to help with her wind: http:///www.amazon.co.uk/Clevamama-ClevaSleep-Baby-Sleep-Positioner/dp/B002SJ5UJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1269371266&sr=8-3

I agree with you about the moses being a waste of money for the short time they're in it.
    I bought one only because the cot bed we have is too big to move from the nursery to our bedroom & she's too little to put in the nursery by herself.
    I can see her outgrowing the moses basket quite soon and I'm going to have to buy a small cot to put in our room then :rolleyes:

That said one of the nice things with the moses basket is when you have it in your bedroom they're about the same height as your own bed so its the perfect level to keep an eye on baby.
    I keep our little one's basket on my side of the bed and when she grizzles during the night I can reach over and rub her tummy, normally that's enough to settle her again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I saw sleep positioners in Toymaster on Mary street yesterday. I ordered mine online from kiddicare and it was great. Anyhoo when they are tiny the hospital will encourage you to swaddle them. I swaddled my little girl until she was about 3 or 4 months and then used the positioner. Swaddling makes them feel cosy. Moses baskets creep me out as I have a clumsy husband and I don't like anything that ( in my eyes) can be easily knocked over ;) That being said I coslept until she was able to crawl so the sleep positioner was for naps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

I disagree. I got a Moses Basket. I found it great as I carried the baby in it at all times and it never left my side for the first 3/4 months. If you go straight for a cot, it will be a nightmare, you will be up and down the stairs/in and out like a yo yo. With the moses basket, you can carry it around with baby asleep in it.

I used to have it beside me around the house and when baby fell asleep, pop them into it. Then when I wanted to go to bed, we'd just carry baby up with us and put it beside our own bed on a little stand. When baby woke at night, you just pick them out of basket and set them in again. There is no running in and out of their room taking them out of a cot bed. Also, a cotbed won't fit out a doorway, so where you set it up, it stays in whatever room its in.

The moses basket is cheap for how mobile it is in the early months as the baby wakes/sleeps so much. Especially if the mother is breastfeeding. The baby will want feeding every 2 hours and it will be great to have the little one beside you. You can buy moses basket bedding cheap on ebay. So long as it's 100% cotton along with the little cellular blankets, give it a good wash at a high temp and you are all set. The bedding will also do you for a pram.

Our baby has outgrown the basket and now we have a pram downstairs for his naps. We just take him out when we are going upstairs and set him into his cot/bed. We have set up the cot/bed beside our own bed. It makes the little ones so secure to see you when they wake up anyway.

The very best of luck to you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

Be careful with swaddling and co-sleeping. I remember reading that new research has come out somewhere that claimed a high number of babies that died due cot-death actually died due to smothering from being swaddled/co-sleeping. They think it's because the little babies hands are tied so they can't push themselves away from the bedding, person etc.

We loved having our little one cuddled up to us in bed, but always put them into the moses basket before we fell asleep. I had had a scare before when we were so exhausted with out oldest child and both of us fell asleep and when I woke up, the baby had rolled under his father. A very frightening time, so I would be so careful about that. When you are shattered, you will just nod off easily and these little babies don't know how to use their little hands to help themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Not bothering with one either. Lots of friends have recommended putting babs straight into the cot, didn't do me any harm either!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mine slept in the moses basket until she was about 7 months and then had to come out because she could sit up on her own!It would fit an 80cm baby:)
    A travel cot might be your best bet,they are brilliant and get one with a bassinet for a small baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

I'd definitely recommend going for a crib / cradle.

I used a crib in the beginning got a good 4 months out of it before I moved her into her cotbed. Cribs are great as they can fit nicely beside your own bed like a moses basket but you get a little longer out of it.
    I'd definitely recommend going for a crib / cradle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

i didnt want one either but got one as a gift and am very grateful for it. What i had planned on doing was buying a travel cot and using that in my bedroom for the first few months and then putting baby in his/her own room in the cot. Most people need a travel cot anyway and they are quite safe for a child to sleep in from birth so that could be an option for you

Advertisement