Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

have you ever killed an animal?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

WindSock wrote: »
    What do you do when you hit an animal or pet? Call DSPCA (if in Dublin)

And if we are outside Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I shouldn't have but...I did laugh when I read that :o

DUDE/DUDETTE!!

One flippin word ya lazy billy-VET

Ya should have taken it to the vets!! :(

Agreed, why the hell didn't you take it to the vet or report it. Poor family out looking for him for weeks I bet. If someone ran over my dog and then battered it to death with a shovel I'd treat it the same as killing a member of my family..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I killed a chicken today,it was pecking at my bananas,I trapped it under a mop and hit it with my runner two times,I dont feel bad because I gave it to
    someone who will eat it,and theres too many here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

WindSock wrote: »
    What do you do when you hit an animal or pet? Call DSPCA (if in Dublin)

Hit a dog....report it to the cops. It's the law!

"If the accident damages only property and there is a Garda in the immediate vicinity you must report it to the Garda. If there is no Garda available you must provide this information to the owner or the person in charge of the property. If, for any reason, neither a Garda nor the owner is immediately available you must give all relevant information at a Garda station as soon a reasonable possible."

http://www.rotr.ie/accidents-gardai-and-penalties/correct-behaviour-at-accident-scene/what-drivers-must-do.html

I think dogs (livestock) fall under property.

Cats don't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    I killed a chicken today,it was pecking at my bananas,I trapped it under a mop and hit it with my runner two times,I dont feel bad because I gave it to
    someone who will eat it,and theres too many here anyway.

Where the hell are ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Not myself but I have and do support people who kill animals regularly.

Some I financially support even though I know they treat the animals deplorably as do many humans I suppose.

I must change this behaviour some day soon as if I really really cared about animal abuse, I would rather than just talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

These chickens dont give eggs,not that I have seen,the person I gave it to seemed very happy with it,Im in Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Stretched the necks of a shed load of turkeys; murdered a few pheasants/bunnies/fishies for the pot. Squished wasps,flies,ants,lizards, spiders,mice and frogs.
    Never for pleasure though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

yep, hunting, fishing, turkeys, chickens, a rat with a shovel etc... lizard, frogs
    (aparently a jam jar half filled with water and holes in the top isnt a good natural enviroment)

my granny etc... used to drown unwanted pups/ kittens, 2 buckets half fill 1 with water and place in the kittens/pups, put the other bucket on top and fill it with rocks or water.....leave for a while.
    bit horrific but they didnt have nuetering or spaying back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Berkut wrote: »
    Killed 2 cats one night in one go.

Both cats ran out in front of me..slammed on the brakes (no cars behind me and was only going about 60khp) to avoid them.
    However the cat that was in front of the other cat, as a result of me braking meant that he missed the front wheels but the rear wheel caught him.
    The cat behind him ran straight under the front wheels...fúckin stupid animals if ever.
    Worst still it happened in front of their owner's house and they were outside when it happened.
    I still didn't stop though...not my fault.:p

I killed a cat a few weeks ago, it ran right in front of the car when I was driving at about 100kph. I couldn't brake or swerve in the heavy traffic, and I could see in the rear view there was no way it could have survived.

It wasn't my fault and there was nothing I could do, but still I feel really bad and guilty about it. I cried for hours after it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BongoJuice

I'd say the badger wasn't as casual about it.
    Can't say he was. He wouldn't be the biggest loss to the animal kingdom in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

My god, im glad i dont drive because if this thread is anything to go by its a statistical eventuality that i would have to grimly "take care of an animal" at some point and i honestly dont think i have the stomach for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

As they used to say on Bo Selecta " I'm a bad invincible cow eating motherf*cker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Killed a bird once when it flew into the windscreen with me doing 60mph - it bounced straight up into the air and I saw it hit the ground (and bounce again!) a few seconds later in the rearview mirror. Later on on the same trip, a hare ran into the side of the micra - didn't kill it, but it must have a had serious concussion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

mice, weekly, with my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Erm...Lambo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

Killed a hamster by accident ,had three of them the father his daughter and son ( mum was killed by the neighbours daughter- she accidentally squashed it in her hand after it bit her)so I took in her offspring as they were related.

Had two cages and three hamsters ,they reach maturity fairly quick so had to put the female on her own and the two males who tolerated each other for a couple of weeks until the son became as big as the father and began to bully him. These guys when they went at it were vicious ..hissing and screeching ..you'd be afraid to put your hand in to try and separate them as they were tearing each other apart.

As a temporary measure I cut two plastic bottles put some bedding and air holes in um ,put the hamster in and stuck them together.
    Next morning he was gone ..he had chewed through the air hole and escaped.
    Caught him that night when he came out from under the fridge , so this time I cut four plastic bottles and put no air holes (the logic being ..he's small ,8 liters of air will be enough till morning)
    Next morning ,walk in to the kitchen ,brother is laughing his head off.. the hamster looks ..dead.. and then we have a discussion that he might of got cold and went into hibernation so we leave him by the fire for two days to see if he comes round..he never came round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Agreed, why the hell didn't you take it to the vet or report it. Poor family out looking for him for weeks I bet. If someone ran over my dog and then battered it to death with a shovel I'd treat it the same as killing a member of my family..

Jesus.
    The dude spared an animal a long and excruciating death and you'd hold him in the same light as a murderer? It's statements like that that make people run a mile from 'RSPCA types'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Hit a jackdaw on my bike, didn't kill it but snapped its leg in two, so it was doomed.
    Accidentally choked a dove when I was handfeeding it, it was too weak to swallow, probably would have died anyway.
    Had to shoot a vicious rooster that was attacking people.
    Shot fox that lived near my chickens, probably the same fox responsible for killing over half of them.
    Have hunted rabbit.
    Killed many a rat that has been attracted to the bird feeder/ chicken feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭XarcherX

i was coming round a narrow bend in my old (now written off) astra, met 3 horses and one of them landed on my windscreen, smashed all the glass in on top of me and rolled the whole way over the car. i couldn't move for at least half an hour, my hands still stuck to the steering wheel, i'll never forget the thump tho.
    The horse i hit died and the other 2 ran off. It was brutal.
    Also had to get several stitches after the glass was removed from the side of my head.
    and yes, i did feel guilty, but whoever owned them should have kept them off the road, someone could have been killed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I've drowned dozens of new born kittens, in a big bucket out the back of the house. The 3 cats we have must be very fertile, and every Tom from around the town comes in for his bit. The cats are wild, so cant catch them to have them neutred.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

When I lived out home my cat had 2 kittens and I dropped a bag of turf on one of them (accident) and my Da found another one wrapped around the fan belt of the car, well what was left of it, fur mostly. He could have just told me it ran away but no :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Irishcrx wrote: »

BECAUSE IT WAS MASHED INTO THE ****ING ROAD. I don't know how it was still alive but it was. What is a Vet going to do but kill it anyway? There was **** all to do. There was no sweet way out there, and I hit the Dog in the middle of nowhere. Anyone who doesn't keep an animal like that locked up or secure has to face the fact that if it escapes and runs amok it's likely to get knocked down. It wasn't wearing a collar either with contact information.

I hit the Dog with the shovel to put it out of it's misery. I certainly didn't intend for it to take 4 attempts but it did. It's not something I am proud of but atleast I had the balls to finish the poor bastard off and not leave him there to die in pain. Believe me when I say this, there was no saving the Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

I was driving along once and thought I hit a dog. Pulled over to check if it was alive, turned out it was only a hobo.

So I left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Prob not on the same level so might not count but there was a spider in my room the other day and my OH wasn't home yet. I have a terrible fear of spiders.

Thought "have to get rid of this" but couldn't catch it with tissue cause I was too afraid..

So caught a can of lynx and started spraying it... Sprayed it until it curled up and fell on the floor and then I squashed it with a souvenir I had from Egypt...

To be sure to be sure! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I hugged my rabbit to death when I was 3. I loved it too much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I've killed quite a few animals in my time but my brothers exploits are the worst of all. The one I remember well was when our cat had kittens and the the mother had a habit of bringing the kittens up on to the tractor seat for a nap. Well normally they would be fine and they would just hope off or be carried off except this time he lowered the transport box at the back to lower them down when one of the kittens fell off and rolled underneath where its head was promptly squashed. It survived for a very short while before collapsing. Ironically it's name was Lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

My grandad killed 3 budgies. He sat on one, closed the door on another while it was sitting on top of it.. The third one, well it wasn't really his fault, it was flying around the kitchen and basically flew in to the deep fat fryer before he got the chance to put the chips in... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Bolag_the_2nd

NoDice wrote: »
    Prob not on the same level so might not count but there was a spider in my room the other day and my OH wasn't home yet. I have a terrible fear of spiders.

Thought "have to get rid of this" but couldn't catch it with tissue cause I was too afraid..

So caught a can of lynx and started spraying it... Sprayed it until it curled up and fell on the floor and then I squashed it with a souvenir I had from Egypt...

To be sure to be sure! :o

me too, i had a mighty battle with a HUGE one the other day, it was too big for the hoover nozzle, :eek: ended up ringing a fearless friend who drove 12 miles to sort it out, i boarded up the room till he arrived, i have a morbid fear of the funkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I started a transit van one evening unawares that a cat was warming itself in the engine bay. I'm not sure what did the damage,getting caught in the engine or the van driving over him. I felt some resistance when pulling away and got to check what it was and found him. He was still alive at that stage but sadly for him I had cinema tickets and 15 minutes to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

If mackerel were people, Hitler would have nothing on me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

Do sea monkeys count? I poisoned my friend's sea monkeys when I was about 11 because I was jealous she had them and I didn't. She told me the next day that they had all died and I had to act surprised. I have my own sea monkeys now anyway :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

i ran over a cat one time. I slammed on the brakes but it was too late. i looked in the mirror and its head was mush but its legs were twitching. I reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I once chased a mouse that found its way into my flat. It got trapped in a pile of plastic bags behind my bed where I killed it with my bare hands. Oh, and cockroaches, I've done in plenty of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Do ignorant looking things like spiders, wasps, flies and so on count? If so, then yes. If not, then not to my better knowledge, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

I was heading for dublin one morning at about 4am along some back roads near longford and about 10 sheep ran out of a gate to a field.
    I was driving this http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/mookishboy/stuff/?action=view&current=IMAGE0103.jpg
    I ran over all of them !! It was a veritable wooly genocide !
    i stopped had a look and considered bringing one or two to the butcher but i had to be in work at seven so i fecked em in the ditch and kept going !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have been the mastermind of the majority of moth genocides in South-West Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

Loads of rats and mice - usually drowning them with the trap, or poison them. And a couple of snakes, one was a cobra and another time it was a viper - really dangerous business. And once a pheasant committed suicide by flying across the road when I was driving along as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Never killed an animal, I did hurt a few feelings though.
    I would probably be balling like a big jessy if I knocked down an animal(not cow tipping knock down).
    Mate of mine hunts deer. He has something like 73 kills over whatever amount of years. He said 1 deer he had to chase it a little to shoot it again. He said he was really upset for days after it because the deer suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I killed my brother gold fish when I was about 7. Mine died and it wasn't fair so I over fed his one. Pretty horrible thing to do. Still feel bad over it.

My friends mam did this one -

My friend has gone away for the weekend and gave her hamster to her mother
    to look after it.
    It had some cotten wool type stuff in the cage as bedding. There was a wheel anda few
    other bits and pieces. Anyway, the hamster was playing or something and got caught up
    in the bedding stuff. It must have gotten distressed and started running around cos when her mam went to feed it the next time the hamster was like hanging from an object
    in the cage by this bedding thing.

So..... instead of burying the hamster, she took it out of all the bedding, kinda propped it
    up in the cage with a piece a cheese and told my friend "it must have choked on the cheese"

WTF, she propped up a dead animal with cheese!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

MJ23 wrote: »
    I've drowned dozens of new born kittens, in a big bucket out the back of the house. The 3 cats we have must be very fertile, and every Tom from around the town comes in for his bit. The cats are wild, so cant catch them to have them neutred.

Throw yourself in the big bucket next time.

How about trapping the cats and getting them neutered? Maybe getting in a professional to do it if you can't? Contacting the local SPCA?
    Drowning the kittens is a disgusting and lazy way to "deal" with the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Pffftt, all of you with your puny animal deaths. I killed a bull when I was 15. I was feeding cattle and I was grapping some silage with the grab on the front of the tractor when one of them put his head in under the grab. It went through the back of his head and killed him pretty much instantly. I went into a bit of shock and went over to the animal and made the mistake of checking his head to see if he was just dazed when I felt the hole in the back of his head. Ran down the farm panicking that I had killed a cow.

I murdered him...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

samsemtex wrote: »
    Pffftt, all of you with your puny animal deaths. I killed a bull when I was 15. I was feeding cattle and I was grapping some silage with the grab on the front of the tractor when one of them put his head in under the grab. It went through the back of his head and killed him pretty much instantly. I went into a bit of shock and went over to the animal and made the mistake of checking his head to see if he was just dazed when I felt the hole in the back of his head. Ran down the farm panicking that I had killed a cow.

I murdered him...:(

God almighty, my old man would kill me if i did that, id be worried about another potential murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

God almighty, my old man would kill me if i did that, id be worried about another potential murder.

The only reason he didnt murder me was because I was in a bit of a state at what I had just done and I was only 14 or 15. I hadnt really used that tractor before on my own either. It probably wiped out any profits that were made on those animals that year :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

my mate shot a rabbit before and it screamed like a child
    I then had to finish it off

That was the beginning and end of our hunting careers, we haven't spoken of it since

So because it was screaming like a child, you were recruited to finish it off?... hmm

Your name wouldnt be Josef by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I choked a chicken once... well more than once... ok, a few times... every day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I just missed a dog with my car last week, it was ok though, I got him the 2nd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

69 wrote: »
    I choked a chicken once... well more than once... ok, a few times... every day...

Do you also spank a monkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sometimes, when I'm not wrestling my snake.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement