Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Quarter-Finals thread

• 23-03-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

15730405.jpg

1466042_w2.jpg

Tuesday, 30 March 2010
    Bayern Munich v Man Utd 19:45 - Live TV3 & Sky Sports
    Lyon v Bordeaux 19:45 - Live Setanta Ireland & Sky Sports

Wednesday, 31 March 2010
    Arsenal v Barcelona 19:45 - Live RTE Two & UTV
    Inter Milan v CSKA Moscow 19:45 - Live Setanta Ireland & Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ribery has recovered from his knee injury and should play in the German cup semi-final on wednesday night. So looks like he will be fine for the Man United game next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Bordeaux, United, Barcelona and Inter. 5/1. Danke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

TV3 or Sky muppets..which will be less painful?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Bordeaux, United, Barcelona and Inter. 5/1. Danke

I've gone for Bordeaux, Manutd, CSKA for first leg wins. Danke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

baz2009 wrote: »

Toss a coin and hope for best;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Arsenal are 7/4 with PP to qualify for semi finals. Might be able to get 15/8 or 2/1 if so think might bet on it.

Sky may offer the fanszone option on the night, never gave it a listen myself.

If all else fails hit the pub, the atmosphere will drown out both for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

To qualify:

United
    Barca
    CSKA

Can't decide between Bordeaux and Lyon myself...

Vanbis wrote: »
    Sky may offer the fanszone option on the night, never gave it a listen myself.

Awh I love FanZone.:D
    If all else fails hit the pub, the atmosphere will drown out both for you.

That's a plan.:p

Awh I love FanZone.:D

That's a plan.:p

Its the semi-finals its your duty.

Unfortunately i will be in Las Vegas for the first leg :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I think Utd should get through handy enough. Bayern have 2 brilliant wingers in Robben and Ribery but Ribery gets injured tying his shoe-laces this season and a week is a long time for him to be fit. They play Mario Gomez up front who is having a pretty poor season. Klose is also having an average season and they leave Olic on the bench who seems to be their best striker anytime I see them play. They can look dodgy defensively and Utd should have too much know-how for them. If Robben and Ribery play to their potential they have a chance, if they dont forget about it.

Barca will destroy Arsenal. Arsenal are like a poor relative of Barca and pound for pound Barca are superior to them all over the pitch. I fancy this to be the easiest qualification of the lot.

Inter will struggle against CSKA. Inter are throwing Serie A away and could have been overtaken at the top by Milan if they had won at home last Sunday. I know the CL is their target this season but their performances the past month have been shocking. A trip to Moscow is tough and they have already put in poor performances against other Eastern European teams this season in Rublin Kazan and Kiev. They should just about have enough to get through though as Sneijder is playing well.

Lyon and Bordeaux is impossible to call but I plump for Lyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I feel Cesc will steal the show in the Camp Nou and thus seal his fate in the summer transfer window

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Arsenal are 7/4 with PP to qualify for semi finals. Might be able to get 15/8 or 2/1 if so think might bet on it.
    Do you hate money?

CHD wrote: »
    Do you hate money?

I feel so dirty for saying this, but I have to agree with CHD.
    Arsenal don't have a chance of beating Barca in a game of football, the only chance the would have is to rought them up. But the Arsenal couldn't beat up Senior Infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I feel so dirty for saying this, but I have to agree with CHD.
    Arsenal don't have a chance of beating Barca in a game of football, the only chance the would have is to rought them up. But the Arsenal couldn't beat up Senior Infants.
    Footballs a funny game ;). Arsenal can beat anyone on our day, the same as Barca. Should make for good viewing.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Footballs a funny game ;). Arsenal can beat anyone on our day, the same as Barca. Should make for good viewing.

Arsenal on their day wouldn't beat United, Real, Barca or Chelsea if they all played to their full potential.

Redzer7 wrote: »

I honeslty think alot will depend on how Arsenal do in the first leg at the emirates, if they get a 0-0 or a win then they have a chance but with Messi and his current form you just can't think its a no hope for Arsenal.

Arsenal on their day wouldn't beat United, Real, Barca or Chelsea if they all played to their full potential.

Ridiculous. They would outscore them all bar Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If van Persie and Gallas were fit (basically a full team) I would give Arsenal a decent enough chance of beating Barca.

However they'll have Bendtner (useful but just not clinical enough to play in a tie like this) and Campbell (also useful but far far far too slow for Messi & co.). Wouldn't give Arse much of a chance myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Messi will leave the Arsenal defence for dust. Iniesta and Xavi will own the midfield, Arsenal will be lucky to have the 45% possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca can have all the possession they want. It's not about possession, its about possession in territory. When United beat them Untied let them have possession at the back, but got extremely tight on them once they got into the final third. Arsenal will need to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

PHB wrote: »
    Barca can have all the possession they want. It's not about possession, its about possession in territory. When United beat them Untied let them have possession at the back, but got extremely tight on them once they got into the final third. Arsenal will need to do the same.

You shouldn't compare Rijkaards Barca to Peps, who comfortably beat Man. United. They are 2 distinctly different animals.

redout wrote: »
    Ridiculous. They would outscore them all bar Barca.
    Ridiculous. They wouldn't because top teams like United and Chelsea can stop Arsenal scoring handily enough.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

PHB wrote: »
    Honestly can't see Arsenal getting tight enough to stop Barca, especially if Campbell's playing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ridiculous. They wouldn't because top teams like United and Chelsea can stop Arsenal scoring handily enough.

He said Arsenal on their day against those teams playing to their full potential. I definitely stand by that. Gunners would outscore them all.

He said Arsenal on their day against those teams playing to their full potential. I definitely stand by that. Gunners would outscore them all.
    They won't have their day though, they are stopped handily enough and on two occasions this year easily enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Barca although not as shaky in the defense department as they used to be they are always prone to leaking goals,

I am actually going to stick a few quid on betfair for the gunners to pul off a shock result in this one , and I have a sneaky feeling RVP will make the second leg and could be in with a even sneakier chance to make the first leg.

It will be the game of the season and thats for sure , cant wait for it .

They won't have their day though, they are stopped handily enough and on two occasions this year easily enough.

I dont give a toss about that. I am using what the poster said as the basis for my statement.

I dont give a toss about that. I am using what the poster said as the basis for my statement.
    Well it is pretty pointless. Spurs on their day might too, it'd be their day afterall.

• Advertisement

Well it is pretty pointless. Spurs on their day might too, it'd be their day afterall.

Well take it up with the poster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

12/5 on betfair for Arsenal to qualify for the semi's but a decent punt would be them getting the result at home which again on betfair is 9/4.

Thats a great price for what will be a very open game that should have plenty of goals.

I think barca my be a bit strong for them over the two legs but would give arsenal a fighting chance for the home result .

United, Barcelona, Inter and Lyon to qualify IMO. United won't have it easy but I think the second leg at OT is decisive. Barca IMO will beat Arsenal by 3 or 4 on aggregate. Inter will make hard work of it but get through though I feel they are most likely to be upset. Lyon on paper aren't as good as Bordeaux but Bordeaux are starting to feel the strain of a small squad while Lyon are on the up. That's my 2c anyway.

United, Barcelona, Inter and Lyon to qualify IMO. United won't have it easy but I think the second leg at OT is decisive. Barca IMO will beat Arsenal by 3 or 4 on aggregate. Inter will make hard work of it but get through though I feel they are most likely to be upset. Lyon on paper aren't as good as Bordeaux but Bordeaux are starting to feel the strain of a small squad while Lyon are on the up. That's my 2c anyway.

Guess that's why Bordeaux won comfortably at the weekend and Lyon were beat fairly handy.:)

I did.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Guess that's why Bordeaux won comfortably at the weekend and Lyon were beat fairly handy.:)

I work with a French guy (Marseille fan) who keeps me fairly up to date with the French League. Just my 2cents. Glad you disagree :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ush1 wrote: »

I wouldn't call a 2 - 1 away defeat to a Marseille team on the up handy (although I didn't see the game so I could be wrong)

I work with a French guy (Marseille fan) who keeps me fairly up to date with the French League. Just my 2cents. Glad you disagree :-)

He must be happy so. Well, generally teams on the up are winning games and teams on the downward lose games. Both teams drew the previous 2 fixtures.

greendom wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a 2 - 1 away defeat to a Marseille team on the up handy (although I didn't see the game so I could be wrong)

I did see the game, it was handy. They led most of the game, we scored. They went back ahead, oh, all of about 20 seconds later. They prolly should have got a third also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i actually like the 9/4 on offer for Arse to win the first leg, well, actually, i would like it alot if Gallas was playing instead of Campbell, his lack of pace makes this so much tougher for them

Barca have not been at their best away from home in Europe this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Dear ManUtd overconfident supporters,

anyone reducing Bayern to the presence or not of Robben & Ribery hasn't a clue about soccer IMHO.

Fact is that Utd will be favourites and that Utd have experience on their side. They're just so bloody solid even when things are not going their way.

But fact is also that the Bayern midfield is much better than the Utd midfield no matter who Utd are going to play. Ribery, Robben & Schweinsteiger can tear anyone a new hole. Van Bommel has kicked bigger fish around than Carrick and Fletcher.

And while the reputation of the Bayern forwards won't have you in awe they're not sh1t either.

At the back Bayern has been wobbly lately, the one big reason for concern. Will just have to play it up the park I guess. :D

Other than that, I admire your optimism, but where you take the 'Utd will have it handy' attitude from I don't see. What I see is the potential for a cracking tie and all there to play for.

Edit: I do concede that Utd will still be a serious side in that tie without their best two players while Bayern would be struggling on that front. Ribery has been soso lately, but we do need Robben in both legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Boskowski wrote: »
    Dear ManUtd overconfident supporters,

You didnt sign off your letter properly imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you're still wrong imo. United, Chelsea and Barcelona playing at their full potential would beat Arsenal at their best. Sure Arsenal were on a run of 9 games won or something like that (in great form anyway) when they faced United and Chelsea a couple of months back and United and Chelsea both destroyed them. Barcelona at their best would rip any team apart, Arsenal at their best included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Rarely happens that two teams would be at their best in a football match, though. Generally, one side performs better. Hypothesizing about it is just silly really.

you're still wrong imo. United, Chelsea and Barcelona playing at their full potential would beat Arsenal at their best. Sure Arsenal were on a run of 9 games won or something like that (in great form anyway) when they faced United and Chelsea a couple of months back and United and Chelsea both destroyed them. Barcelona at their best would rip any team apart, Arsenal at their best included.

I do not agree with your opinion and I certainly dont believe Arsenal played at their best against either United or Chelsea. If you could find me one Arsenal fan who agrees that they were at their best I would be mightily impressed.

I do not agree with your opinion and I certainly dont believe Arsenal played at their best against either United or Chelsea. If you could find me one Arsenal fan who agrees that they were at their best I would be mightily impressed.

Maybe it was because United and Chelsea knew how to play against them and didn't let arsenal play their free flowing football, which is what any good team would set out to do.

Fact is Arsenal were in a great run of form playing some great stuff before United and Chelsea whipped them.

Maybe for your point, in saying Arsenal at their best, I would have to concede United and Chelsea allowing them to play at their best and play the way they want to - which is just a completely stupid argument. United and Chelsea have both proven they can contain and beat Arsenal (an Arsenal side in form at the time)

United and Chelsea at their best could be outscored by Arsenal, but it is FAR from "Ridiculous" to suggest United and Chelsea playing to their full potential would beat Arsenal regardless of how well they are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Man U Bordeax Barca and Inter to prevail

Maybe it was because United and Chelsea knew how to play against them and didn't let arsenal play their free flowing football, which is what any good team would set out to do.

Fact is Arsenal were in a great run of form playing some great stuff before United and Chelsea whipped them.

Maybe for your point, in saying Arsenal at their best, I would have to concede United and Chelsea allowing them to play at their best and play the way they want to - which is just a completely stupid argument. United and Chelsea have both proven they can contain and beat Arsenal (an Arsenal side in form at the time)

United and Chelsea at their best could be outscored by Arsenal, but it is FAR from "Ridiculous" to suggest United and Chelsea playing to their full potential would beat Arsenal regardless of how well they are playing.

"Maybe, maybe, could" make up your mind - all you are doing is showing indecisiveness. If a team like Arsenal are playing at their best you cant stop them so to say its a stupid argument is pish posh. Being a side in form and playing at your best level are not the same thing. The best you can hope for is to try and contain but ultimately when at their best level you cant do it and will be outscored.

I think Arsenal have a great chance against Barcelona if they can get the right result at the emirates in the first leg.

"Maybe, maybe, could" make up your mind - all you are doing is showing indecisiveness. If a team like Arsenal are playing at their best you cant stop them so to say its a stupid argument is pish posh. Being a side in form and playing at your best level are not the same thing. The best you can hope for is to try and contain but ultimately when at their best level you cant do it and will be outscored.

Shocking - i'm being indecisive over who would win a football game. So your impression of football is that all results could be 100% predicted. You must freaking clean up at the bookies with your certainty of match outcomes.:rolleyes:

If United and Chelsea play at their best you can easily argue their defence and midfield would not give arsenal the space they need to play in.

EDIT: Retracting this bit cause I can't find the quote to back it up - thought you have said this in the build up to the quater final draw, but can't back it up with a quote - Sure you have said youself that United could beat Barcelona if they played to their best and employed the correct tactics and you reckon Barca would beat Arsenal - so how can you say United could beat Barcelona but have absolutely no chance in hell of beating Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

http://chambersport.blogspot.com/2010/03/nouveau-renaissance-for-french-clubs.html

A wee piece on the French sides left in the competition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement