Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Quarter-Finals thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If United and Chelsea play at their best you can easily argue their defence and midfield would not give arsenal the space they need to play in.

Yes you could and that is an opinion which you are showing that I dont share. I still believe Arsenal on their day would score.

Sure you have said youself that United could beat Barcelona if they played to their best and employed the correct tactics

I dont recall saying United playing to their best but yes i did say if United had Fletch and the right tactics I believed Utd could win.
    redout wrote: »
    My opinion, Man Utd can beat Barca - 100% certain of it - Fletch is the key.

and you reckon Barca would beat Arsenal - so how can you say United could beat Barcelona but have absolutely no chance in hell of beating Arsenal.

Yes I said that as its a logical assumption - If Arsenal were to play at their best level playing Barca at their best they would be outscored. I am sure I mentioned that a couple of pages back. Obviously when I was referring to United beating Barca I made no remark of United nor Barca being at their best levels as you insinuated because if they were United lose. As regards the Arsenal reference I was talking about at their best level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can sort of understand where you are coming from, I just don't see how anyone could say United or Chelsea would have no chance vs Arsenal at their best (with United and Chelsea also at their best). I'm not saying Arsenal couldn't beat United and Chelsea (with United and Chelsea at their best) they could, at their best they could beat anyone - I just think saying United and Chelsea would have no chance against them is ridiculous. I honestly don't understand how anyone could be of the opinion that Arsenal at their best are completely unbeatable by virtually anyone apart from Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

United and Chelsea at their best could be outscored by Arsenal, but it is FAR from "Ridiculous" to suggest United and Chelsea playing to their full potential would beat Arsenal regardless of how well they are playing.

Chelsea playing to their full potential isn't nessacerily about being free scoring. Same with United to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Nice to see us all getting along then :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ush1 wrote: »
    Chelsea playing to their full potential isn't nessacerily about being free scoring. Same with United to an extent.

I know - United and Chelsea at their best are, while potent in attack, solid and hard working sides defensively, which is why I am of the opinion that United and Chelsea have it in them to beat Arsenal playing at their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I know - United and Chelsea at their best are, while potent in attack, solid and hard working sides defensively, which is why I am of the opinion that United and Chelsea have it in them to beat Arsenal playing at their best.

I'd be of the same opinion myself Mitch. Arsenal are great going forward but not so great at the back.

As someone posted up recently, Arsenal couldnt even bully Senior infants.

I can sort of understand where you are coming from, I just don't see how anyone could say United or Chelsea would have no chance vs Arsenal at their best (with United and Chelsea also at their best). I'm not saying Arsenal couldn't beat United and Chelsea (with United and Chelsea at their best) they could, at their best they could beat anyone - I just think saying United and Chelsea would have no chance against them is ridiculous. I honestly don't understand how anyone could be of the opinion that Arsenal at their best are completely unbeatable by virtually anyone apart from Barcelona.

Football comes down to one thing - goals. If you score more than your opponent you will be victorious, simple as. I believe that Arsenal at their best will score more than United or Chelsea are capable of. You not agreeing with that is fine - at the end of the day this great sport is all about differing opinions for fans. Some will share them and others will not - that is the great thing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Football comes down to one thing - goals. If you score more than your opponent you will be victorious, simple as. I believe that Arsenal at their best will score more than United or Chelsea are capable of. You not agreeing with that is fine - at the end of the day this great sport is all about differing opinions for fans. Some will share them and others will not - that is the great thing about it.

As someone once said lets just all Agree to disagree :rolleyes:

Wenger said today that RVP will need 2/3 weeks maximum to be back to fitness.

I reckon he is definitely in with a chance of making the second leg of the Barca tie.

• Advertisement

Lyon
    Out: François Clerc (knee), Jean-Alain Boumsong (calf), Joan Hartock (Achilles)
    Doubtful: none
    Suspended: none
    Misses next match if booked: Sidney Govou, Lisandro, Cris, Miralem Pjanić

• Jean II Makoun (groin) and Michel Bastos (muscle) returned from injury on Saturday.

Bordeaux
    Out: Marc Planus (knee), Abdou Traoré (hamstring), Grégory Sertic (broken toe)
    Suspended: Alou Diarra
    Misses next match if booked: Michaël Ciani, Marc Planus

• Ulrich Ramé will extend his Bordeaux career into a 14th campaign after signing up for next season on 24 March.

67071833.jpg

Lyon lead 2-1. Both defenses are TERRIBLE!
    Very entertaining game, having heart failure!

Lyon win 3-1. Tie far from over though, Lisandro suspended for too many yellows for the return leg. Ridiculous booking, hopefully will be appealed.

Just watched Lyon -v- Bordeaux highlights.

Lloris made some vital saves.

Lyon should never have had a peno.

Ball to hand without doubt.

Bordeaux have it all to do it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Lyon win 3-1. Tie far from over though, Lisandro suspended for too many yellows for the return leg. Ridiculous booking, hopefully will be appealed.

You can't appeal a yellow card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Lloris made some vital saves.

He also made some huge mistakes Bordeaux failed to capitalise on. He looked as bad as Almunia coming of his line at times. He seems really erratic...
    Lyon should never have had a peno.

Ball to hand without doubt.

The hand was clearly extended from the body though... if it was down by the side fair enough, but when you spread your hands like that I think most would accept you're risking a penalty.
    Bordeaux have it all to do it would seem.

Bordeaux were **** for most of it, but still managed to create some really good opportunities for themselves. Lyon in pole position, but missing their fulcrum up front in Lisandro, Bordeaux have nothing to fear imo.

The hand was clearly extended from the body though... if it was down by the side fair enough, but when you spread your hands like that I think most would accept you're risking a penalty.

The chap was going to ground. I dont know anyone who goes to ground without extending their arms. Very harsh peno to award and as I said it was a case of ball to hand imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I went for Lyon, United, Barca and CSKA to go through, at 10/1.

Lyon are looking safe enough, but they'll miss Lisandro in the next leg. Might rue the away goal, but I'd be confident that they can hit Bordeaux on the break.

United are on a knife edge. They've a great chance if Rooney is fit, but they'll want to be very careful of going forward given that Ribery and Robben will be ready to punish them.

Barca - Arsenal should be a cracker, but with the second leg in the Nou Camp, and with Arsenal's shallow squad, I'm confident Barca will go through.

Inter - CSKA is a close one. There'll be a lot of pressure on Inter, and they've gone off form a bit in Serie A recently. Jose is never too adventurous in the first leg even if it is at home, so I can see a 0-0 tonight. Couple that with the second leg in Moscow on the dodgy pitch, and I'm hopeful that CSKA will get through.

Peno was harsh but understandable.

Lloris made one bad descision that he was actually forced into by his lax defense. Nobody was even challenging Chamakh in the air so he had to rush him. He made the most unreal save from Chamakh then after, top class. Comparing him to Almunia is a joke.

I think the tie is slightly open but Bord look very tired from all the competitions, they don't have the squad to compete like on all fronts. Also, Lyon can score on them again I'd be sure.

Lloris made one bad descision that he was actually forced into by his lax defense. Nobody was even challenging Chamakh in the air so he had to rush him. He made the most unreal save from Chamakh then after, top class. Comparing him to Almunia is a joke.

I only saw the highlights but even then he made three or four really basic positioning mistakes (mainly coming off his line without actually going for the ball). Most of the time the ball was crap so nothing came of it, but he looked really unsure of himself when the ball was in the air, possibly nerves. I really think all Bordeaux need to do for the second leg is just lump the ball into the 6 yard box for Chamakh. Either Chamakh gets on the end of it or they might force Lloris into a mistake Gouffran or Gourcuff can pounce on.

• Advertisement

I only saw the highlights but even then he made three or four really basic positioning mistakes (mainly coming off his line without actually going for the ball). Most of the time the ball was crap so nothing came of it, but he looked really unsure of himself when the ball was in the air, possibly nerves. I really think all Bordeaux need to do for the second leg is just lump the ball into the 6 yard box for Chamakh. Either Chamakh gets on the end of it or they might force Lloris into a mistake Gouffran or Gourcuff can pounce on.

Bord are the more footballing side, they rarely resort to long punts upfield. Lyon however often do, although without Lisandro they ill be far less potent. Either side should have scored more but Lyon defo had more chances. Bords defence was shambolic, particularly Ciani and Toremolinos. The full back bombed foward with reckless abandon and was constantly cought out of position.

Bord might claw back but I can't see Lyon not scoring either.

keane2097 wrote: »
    You can't appeal a yellow card.

Why not, I've seen many other teams do it?

Incase anyones going to be watching :D

Inter
    Out: Davide Santon (knee)
    Suspended: Lucio, Thiago Motta
    Misses next match if booked: Walter Samuel, Maicon, Javier Zanetti

• Wesley Sneijder returned to action on Saturday against AS Roma after missing the 24 March meeting with AS Livorno Calcio with a thigh injury.

CSKA
    Out: none
    Doubtful: Mark González (muscle), Keisuke Honda (ankle)
    Suspended: none
    Misses next match if booked: Evgeni Aldonin, Aleksei Berezutski, Mark González, Miloš Krasić, Chidi Odiah

• Winger González was rested for the trip to FC Anzhi Makhachkala after picking up a knock at Sevilla FC. Slutsky said: "I don't know whether González will play or not, but for sure he's getting ready for this game."

• Honda may only feature on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Barca - Arsenal should be a cracker, but with the second leg in the Nou Camp, and with Arsenal's shallow squad, I'm confident Barca will go through.

Aside from at CB atm we certainly don't have a shallow squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Inter should have walked that tie last night. Not sure if they will win competition but they they will be there or thereabouts.

Inter should have walked that tie last night. Not sure if they will win competition but they they will be there or thereabouts.

Yeah but CSKA are the weakest team left in the competition I reckon. I think alot of teams may fancy themselves but I still think Man. United and Barca are clear favourites.

Inter will beat CSKA and Barca will knock out Arsenal most likely. So Inter will be playing the team that breezed past them in the groups.

Yeah its looking like a Barca United final at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Frisbee wrote: »

With Gallas, Fabregas, Arshavin and RVP out, that will be put to the test! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

With Gallas, Fabregas, Arshavin and RVP out, that will be put to the test! :)

As I said CB is a worry atm so Campbell will be in for Gallas. As for the other three:

Fabregas -> Nasri
    Arshavin ->Rosicky/Walcott/Eboue
    RVP -> Bendtner/Eduardo

Obviously losing Cesc is a huge blow and we've no-one as good as him to come in, but your very rarely going to have a squad player as good as Cesc who is willing to sit on the bench. Too bad Ramsey's injured.

36157734.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Frisbee wrote: »

Just a ridiculously injury prone one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Inter to win 3-1 on the night, 4-1 on agg. Forza Inter!

SKY sports coverage now. And then 3e for us on Thursday. Get depressed every time I think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Yes!!!!

Just realised this is an early kick-off, cheers redout.

Krasic is a big loss for CSKA, if Inter get the first goal I can't see CSKA getting through.

Will be interesting to see how the ball fares on the plastic surface

Will be interesting to see how the ball fares on the plastic surface

Pandev said the ball doesnt seem to bounce as much or move as fluidly seemingly.

Inter into the semi's.

the free looked harsh imo.

• Advertisement

Great start for inter.

Pandev said the ball doesnt seem to bounce as much or move as fluidly seemingly.

odd... most complain it bounces too much. Is there something special about CSKAs pitch or is it just the usual 3rd generation you find?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Schneider the little diamond. Long way back for CSKA now.

Sneijder the little diamond. Long way back for CSKA now.

fyp ;)

Fari play to the CSKA manager, he is certainly going for it, CB for a striker. It will probably back fire but they have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Game over.

What was the wall doing anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Jeez i thought that went through a hole in the net it was that close!

OOh so close there for CSKA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Fari play to the CSKA manager, he is certainly going for it, CB for a striker. It will probably back fire but they have nothing to lose.

Your man they brought in Odiah is a RB or even a RWB not a striker,weird that they just didnt start him if that was his intentions

Gillington wrote: »
    Your man they brought in Odiah is a RB or even a RWB not a striker,weird that they just didnt start him if that was his intentions

Yea, I realised that just after I posted, (I thought I got away with it ;))

Probably didn't start as they only needed one goal before the match started to stay in the tie . But obviously after they conceeded they had to go for a more attacking option.

lol @ some of Inters theatrics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement