Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squeeking floorboards

• 23-03-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

just want a quick solution The room is a bedroom to my mother who is going into respite. The floorboards squeek when you walk on them. So i want a solution that would not be bad for my mother when she returns

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

some while ago a guy told me that a sprinkle of talc-powder stopped squeezing floors, never tried it but definitely a "quick fix" if it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

some while ago a guy told me that a sprinkle of talc-powder stopped squeezing floors, never tried it but definitely a "quick fix" if it works.

that works.

but the best way is to get a box of 4x30mm screws, find the joists and get screwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭fluky1

i think the floorboards are dry and maybe need a rub of beeswax !

fluky1 wrote: »
    i think the floorboards are dry and maybe need a rub of beeswax !

they are nailed down no doubt.

as the joists move and shrink , they loosen on the flooring . The noise is that movement.

Screws is really the only way. As the sound can come from the nails them selfs , wax would not work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Talcum powder works, so do screws. Talc is the quickest cheapest solution.And you wont hit a pipe with talc:D:D
    Screws are the permanent job, but are visible unless plugged.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

When I moved into my house I laid semi solid flooring upstairs.. and now of course that things have dried out and settled there's a bad creak right in the middle of one of the bedrooms.. have them in several places but one room is particularly bad.

realistically am I going to have to pull up the floor just to screw down the creaky boards?

If i do this, am I likely to have to do it again in a few months/year with more creaking boards?

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    When I moved into my house I laid semi solid flooring upstairs.. and now of course that things have dried out and settled there's a bad creak right in the middle of one of the bedrooms.. have them in several places but one room is particularly bad.

realistically am I going to have to pull up the floor just to screw down the creaky boards?

If i do this, am I likely to have to do it again in a few months/year with more creaking boards?

no. once its fixed. it stays fixed.

Another thing you should check is the sole plate on the stud walls upstairs.

The stud walls upstairs are nailed to the floor and the ceiling .
    In new houses the second floor 9" joisting drys and shrinks by as much as 10mm . Sinks. (You see gaps develop under the skirting.)
    as the stud is nailed above and cant fall with the floor , they separate. Pulling on the nails.

When one walks near a stud wall upstairs and gets big squeeks. This is usually the cause.

whip of the skirting. slip under a few shims and fire a few big 100 mm screws through the plaster board , catching the sole plate and the floor joist. Pulls everything tight and noise free. Using common sense to avoid pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks for the response.

I have it in a couple of places but the worst one is in my son's room.. right at the point where he stands / sits when playing with his xbox or wii.. and I'm downstairs.. hearing .. creak.. creak.. creak.. :o

I saw that the sole plate in one of the rooms wasn't fixed to the floor so screwed that down previously.

This worst creak is right in the middle of the floor so I guess the only thing I can do is pull up the floor back to that point and try to screw it down.

Thanks!

Advertisement