Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer festivals - Hellfest Anyone??

• 23-03-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

So what festivals has anyone planned or looking forward to? Personally Was huge Wacken fan, from what I remember (bloody Jagermiester!!) I enjoyed it ! SO was thinking of Hellfest this year for a change, any opinions on it, Some seriously good bands Lined up for it!!

hellfest-2010-lineup-605x348.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah.......here. Not goin' myself though.......There is no emoticon to express my pure jealousy to those that are. Aw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

I'm going to Bloodstock Festival in the UK.
    http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/bands-line-up.php

And hopefully Wacken next year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Bloodstock is a deffo for me too some seriously good Bands, Cant wait to see Gorgoroth and of course Bloodbath!!

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Bloodstock is a deffo for me too some seriously good Bands, Cant wait to see Gorgoroth and of course Bloodbath!!

Yeah Fear Factory are my must-see for Bloodstock:)
    GWAR should be fun too!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Wacken for me this year. First time going. Pretty happy with the line up.

Looking forward to seeing fear factory again too, caught them at Big Day Out this year and thought they played a decent set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Had been hoping to go this year, but only back from a 2 week holiday on the 5th of June, so a bit too close. Also, my college exam repeats are on that weekend & while I hope to god I don't fail, I need to keep the date free just in case!

Looking likely that I'll head over to Graspop again this year. Line-up's a bit crap, but a load of friends are going, so should be a laugh regardless. Probably head to Bloodstock again too.

Would love to go to either http://www.mastersofrock.cz/www////index.php?view=82 or http://www.norwayrock.no/ , both of which have Queensryche, Gamma Ray, Epica playing and a variety of other bands at both. Don't think I could persuade any of my friends to come to either though, so doubt I'll go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Will be heading to Wacken and Summer Breeze this year, staying in Germany for the two of them. Real good line-ups on both of them.

Would like to go to Hellfest for the lineup, it's pretty good this year again (not as good as last year though - it was just nuts), rather disappointed I still won't get to see Sabaton! :) But Hellfest is really badly laid out and there just isn't much craic at it, you have to bring you own craic with you because the locals are fairly dull compared to the German Festivals (or DoD! :D). Also the beer inside the festival is extortion (€3 for 250ml of weak pash!) and it takes 20 minutes to walk back to your tent if you want something that isn't €12 a litre, and then security back in can take upwards of 10 minutes if theres a big band coming on, a round trip to the tent for a beer is about an hour, so if you want to have a session prepare to bring about €90 per day for beer alone.

When we went we brought over 20 people with us, and after the bands finished we were usually the only ones still up after 1am. Probably also didn't help that there were 3 flood lights for the whole campsite, so basically pitch black.

For anyone going to hellfest make sure you go and see Ulver though, I seen them when they played at Brutal Assault and they completely stole the festival, unbelievable show!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was at Hellfest last year and it was awesome. I don't know where Pugsley was :)

The line-up was unquestionably one of the greatest you'll ever see at a festival :) This year's looks very good too. Dying Fetus and Decapitated would be 2 highlights for me.

The beer was €2 and €1 for the cup - they wanted people to reuse them so there was less rubbish to clean up. The distance to the campsite was a bit of a pain, and the lack of cleaners for the toilets meant that the smell humming from them was grim to say the least.

However, inside the event itself, the layout was decent and allowed for pretty free movement of people to and from stages. The shops section was good as was the food section. The campsite could be a little better organised, but it wasn't awful.

I'm giving some serious thought to heading over again this year, but the finances mightn't stretch to it I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I think they could have fixed a large part of the distance to the campsite by not making you walk half way around the festival grounds to get there, if the entrance was on the campside face of the festival. Then it would only be 5 minutes to the campsite, they could have put the entrance where the toilets were - which did absolutely stick!

The lineup last year was unquestionable though, from start of the day to the end of the day there was usually only 2 or 3 times a day when an awesome band WASN'T on stage somewhere, and very few clashes too.

My mistake on the beer price's, the weak pash was indeed €2 a skite :) but they also sold a decent beer at some of the stands, think it was staropramen? At the same stalls that done the (disgusting) guiness, and they were €3 each.

Inside the festival grounds the layout was grand, quick enough travel between the stages, the food was reasonable enough (€2 for a crepe or ice-cream if memory serves, which is extortion but €5 for a half decent feed though which wasn't too bad). The metal market wasn't too bad, fairly small and cramped but a decent enough selection (even if they were very fairly badly supplied - lots of things were sold out by the end of the first day, including the official T-shirt). One of the best things about the layout though was the row's of p*ssers in the centre of the 4 stages, no walk from any of them, room for about 30 people at a time, was a great job until they overflowed on Friday evening/Saturday morning, then they were more than a little disgusting.

I'd probably go back if they had a lineup of the same standard as last year though, this year is good but not good enough to grab my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lolixedda

hi is there someone from dublin that take the plain for paris the 17th?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 plug-in-baby

Kharn wrote: »
    The beer was €2 and €1 for the cup - they wanted people to reuse them so there was less rubbish to clean up. The distance to the campsite was a bit of a pain, and the lack of cleaners for the toilets meant that the smell humming from them was grim to say the least.

yea i was at hellfest last year too it was good craicbut coulda been better organised took forever getting in to the festival grounds if there was a band playing at all,
    ah sure most festivals charge the extra euro for the cup!
    but the whole token crap at hellfest to get a drink was a bit **** last year..
    and the toilets were HORRIBLE i agree..

Im headin to wacken this year again its better organised its got decent bands and the toilets are actually decent.

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    I'm going to Bloodstock Festival in the UK.
    http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/bands-line-up.php

And hopefully Wacken next year :D

This will be my first time at bloodstock, have you being before?

Anyone got any Positives/Negitives about the festival???

This is my first Bloodstock too.
    The forum on their website is good for info and questions you might have.
    http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/community/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=3973d899bc91a62344e475b520b59f2d

This is my first Bloodstock too.
    The forum on their website is good for info and questions you might have.
    http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/community/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=3973d899bc91a62344e475b520b59f2d

Cheers Wolfmoon, ill give it a read! seriously cant wait good line up so far!

The next headliner is gonna be announced some time today or tonight!
    If the thread link below is to be believed, then its Immortal

http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22953

Ah sweet happy days:D, looks genuine enough too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I was hoping to go to this, but I'm pissed as something has come up, predominately the ridiculous price of flights, sickened as I want to see Faith No More again, then there's Slayer and AiC, plus I've never seen Meshuggah, Soulfly or Porcupine Tree, and I'd love to! But Bloodstock seems like a tempting mother ****er.

^^^Turns out Immortal was just a rumour. Opeth have been announced as the Friday headliner for Bloodstock.

^^^Turns out Immortal was just a rumour. Opeth have been announced as the Friday headliner for Bloodstock.

Yeah saw that there, shame would have loved to see Immortal kick some ass! although Opeth do put on a great show saw them at Wacken a few years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

I'm heading to Metalcamp and MCF this year.
    Fantastic line up and the location (Tolmin, Slovenia) is amazing. :D
    http://www.metalcamp.com/index.php?page=program

It will be my first time at Metalcamp. Can't wait! I'm a big Manowar fan, so that's my main reason for going. MCF is always great.
    Two weeks to go...:pac:

I was going to go to Bloodstock again this year, but I have repeat exams for college the following week, so it wouldn't be the brightest idea. Oh, and Opeth were announced as one of the headliners - so I'm glad I sold my ticket. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement