Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SAMSUNG 37" LE37B551 FULL HD LCD Television - €499.00 + €44.99 shipping.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Not bad but I can see the price of HD LCD TV's falling dramatically with new LED TV's and 3D TV's to come pretty soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If only I saw this a month ago....

Really good price. Got a 5 star rating on whathifi.com and have to agree superb qaulity from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

Great value, had a samsung 32" before and picture quality/sound were excellent.

They're a great TV. Like pah says prices will come down more, the original price is a bit much when you consider I bought a 6 series in 08 for €890.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

And has nobody noticed who is selling this gem, Pixmania, the dumbest e-tailer of them all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

The telly got some really positive upbeat reviews,i hope to god pixmania dont send me a 12 inch black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any know what the function of the USB port is?

Can you connect a external HDD to it or is it just for maintenance/FW upgrades?

Also is it an Mpeg4 tuner?

it has a mpeg4 tuner and the usb is for playing media files and firmware upgrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Yea I'd be fairly sure it has an MPEG4 tuner. I bought a 40" 5-series Samsung last year and I have the RTE Digital tests working on it. Also from that picture it has some sort of a digital terrestrial logo in French and I might be wrong here but I think the French are also using MPEG4. I wouldn't be so sure that the USB works with media, it doesn't on last years 5 series anyway so I'd check that out if that's a selling point for you! It doesn't bother me as I have the PS3 hooked up to it.
    Edit - According to the Pixmania specs you can in fact hook up media to the USB.

By the way I bought my 40" 5-series last year in Power City for €550 so I'm not sure that price is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

pah wrote: »
    Not bad but I can see the price of HD LCD TV's falling dramatically with new LED TV's and 3D TV's to come pretty soon!

Have you any more info on when the 3d tv's will hitting Ireland? What's the story with new LED tv's - are they just the new ultra thin ones you mean?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TNT HD means it has a MPEG4 tuner. At least it should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

The LE37B550 was £449 in M&S a few week back including 5 year warranty. Using quidco it would have worked out at €490 if you had somewhere up north to get it delivered to. I don't know if delivery to store was an option. Going by that I would think the price of €545 is not great.
    ianwalsh2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure that the USB works with media, it doesn't on last years 5 series anyway so I'd check that out if that's a selling point for you!
    There is a firmware update (might be the one for 6series) which allows for movie playback from usb. Search the web and you'll find it.

I didn't go for it in the end as I heard too many negative things about the sound. Samsungs are well known for poor sound on their LCDs. Its a pity, as their picture is usually amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Thanks Bazwaldo, that's interesting about the sound from the Samsung.

What did you end up buying instead - if anything?

bazwaldo wrote: »
    There is a firmware update (might be the one for 6series) which allows for movie playback from usb. Search the web and you'll find it.

I didn't go for it in the end as I heard too many negative things about the sound. Samsungs are well known for poor sound on their LCDs. Its a pity, as their picture is usually amazing.

Yea at the time I bought it I remember putting in a lot of time searching for a firmware upgrade but couldn't find anything, and was a little bit afraid I'd mess things up! Now that you say it about the sound, I suppose I wouldn't describe the sound as amazing but I couldn't complain either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This is another alright deal on an lcd tv at the moment. There seems to be a lot of alright offers around but no bargains as far as i can see. Heres another alright deal(Better than this IMO) offere from a e-tailer with a dodgy reputation but probably no worse than pixmania

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Samsung_LE40B650T2W_40_Inch_LCD_TV_Samsung_BD-P1580_Blu-ray_BUN-LE40B650T2WXXC-13234/version.asp

Should be about 815€ delivered, nearly 300€ more than this but for that you're getting a far far superior tv when it comes to picture quality, a 3" bigger telly and a blu ray player. Even if you dont need a bluray player, flog it for 100€ or so and this tv would only have costed over 700€ which is close to bargain territory IMO. Probably gettin a bit technical here but if you're getting a 37" version of a samsung tv, it will be inferior to a 40" version, different panel manufacturer. Ask almost anybody on a videophile site and they'd tell you get the 40" version.

BTW, a few months ago, i saw the 40" version of the OP's set, the 40B551 for 600€ in currys, that 50€ is worth it over buying from pixmania anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Here's a Samsung 42" with Mpeg4 tuner for €499 from Power City too - not sure of the exact specs, but looks pretty decent?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13&cat=FLAT TV 37" - 42"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Reesy wrote: »
    Thanks Bazwaldo, that's interesting about the sound from the Samsung.

What did you end up buying instead - if anything?

Ended up with an Philips 8 series. A demo model from the Philips Shop in Dublin.

Picture is superb and sound is good too. Keep an eye on Richersounds.com and if you see anything interesting, post a thread on the boards richersounds forum and they will give you a quote including delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2663875/art/samsung/le37b551-lcd-television.html?tag=mail_ie_uk_2010-03-23_43534&srcid=3666

Actually seems like a good bargain :confused:

Pity about the shipping cost.

What do people think?

Its only 50 HZ with no Motion Plus, so expect a headache after watching a long movie.

• Advertisement

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Here's a Samsung 42" with Mpeg4 tuner for €499 from Power City too - not sure of the exact specs, but looks pretty decent?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13&cat=FLAT TV 37" - 42"

That one isn't Full HD (1080) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rysinh

Toshiba 42AV635DB 42 LCD TV Digital Full HD

Just saw this one on misco (never had any problems dealing with them), not sure if its a deal or not but the price looks good considering its about €200 more for a similar model on elara

TOSHIBA - (42XV635DB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Isn't it terrible when you see something that you bought full price up on bargain alerts!!!!!

Wasn't too bad thou, Have it a year now and paid 744 delivered.

I think it's a smashing TV, great value at the time and still is.

Had no problems and would fully recommend it.

It's a little thick now, when you see the new skinny samsungs but I suppose you pay for them!!

Pity it doesn't have 100hz thou, Has 60Hz on Blueray and 50hz normally

I was a little put off by the red trim (wanted the one with the blue trim but it was beyond the budget) , but I really like it now

One tip, If your putting it up on the wall, leave the plastic on the frame. I got a couple of swirl marks on it when as I was too eager, and ripped the plastic off. They still bug me!!! Be careful cleaning the frame too ;)

Now that I read about the sound issue, I would agree, I have mine up at 50-60 when watching a dvd. You really need a surround sound...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

On the hunt for a new tv at the min, thinking I may as well go 40 - 42", Trying to squeeze as much spec out of my limited budget as possible and so far direct tv's and 1st Audio visual are looking best bets.

Loooking at these two, seem to be decent deals, looking for a bona fide bargain though!

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/LG_42LH3000_42LH3000/version.asp?PID=

http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/samsung-le40b550-inch-p-6707.html

Delivery with direct tv's is working out more reasonable, but I'll be going through bethrifty.ie for 2-3% cashback so that'll take the sting out!

Anyone thoughts? Seem to be big spec for the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

I've got the B651, the bigger brother to this guy, and I can tell you that having 100 Hz or not makes little discernible difference - at least to the two of us watching it. The telly is in Barcelona where so far there is only one DVB-T HD 1080i channel (TV3 Cataluny
    a) and the other 40-odd are SD DVB-T - in fact, at the end of the month they're stopping analog broadcasts here.

The real beauty of the 650 series is that you can just plug in a USB key/hard drive with MKV/DIVX/AVI movies on it and it will play them (though DTS-only movies will need to be downmixed/remuxed by Popcorn MKV AudioConverter.) As the 650 has an ethernet port, you can even get it to mount a SAMBA server and play from there.

The good news is that the 550 series can be hacked relatively easily to gain the play-from-USB functionality - see AVForums.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Samsung 37" Full HD in DID in todays advert, think its a LE37B554, not on the site yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

dogeyknees wrote: »
    Samsung 37" Full HD in DID in todays advert, think its a LE37B554, not on the site yet.

How much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

sorry my bad - €499, in the Star today

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-37B550&pages=1&prod=37B550&brands=SAMSUNG

Better again, it says 470€ online price but mention that in store and they'd have to give it to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

With out confusing the issue whats the difference with this one "Model Code: LE37B554" in DiD €450

http://www.buy4now.ie/DID/Product/LE37B554SAMSUNG%2037%20FULL%20HD%20LCD/17970/317

cubix wrote: »
    With out confusing the issue whats the difference with this one "Model Code: LE37B554" in DiD €450

http://www.buy4now.ie/DID/Product/LE37B554SAMSUNG%2037%20FULL%20HD%20LCD/17970/317
    None, the only difference would be styling. Theres an extra 50€ off that in DID for the weekend,

At €450 that is most certainly a bargain, as good a deal i'v seen on a tv in a good while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

neacy69 wrote: »
    Any know what the function of the USB port is?

Can you connect a external HDD to it or is it just for maintenance/FW upgrades?

Here's a howto for the 40inch model (same b550 family, so hopefully should work).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

cubix wrote: »

Zonda999 wrote: »
    None, the only difference would be styling. Theres an extra 50€ off that in DID for the weekend,

At €450 that is most certainly a bargain, as good a deal i'v seen on a tv in a good while

The cheaper one has a bit of a protruding plastic / glass rim around the outside frame. And when I asked in the shop I was told all the components are the same but the panel on the cheaper one wouldn't be as good, not totally sure what he meant by that.

One question I have - this tv is 50Hz. Can anyone tell me would you be better off paying the extra bit for a tv with 100Hz and motion plus? Would you ever really notice the difference? And how?

Thanks...

Advertisement