Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 JRPGs that everyone must play.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm always singing Odin Spheres praise so it's my shame for forgetting it. It's one of the best looking games ever. Some of the boss fights are brutal though. My advice to you tman is to level up like crazy by using the restaurant and cafe. The final boss of each chapter can be ridiculously tough and the final boss gauntlet will require going back through the chapters and levelling up some more (doesn't take long though and once you've reached the required level you can quit and go straight into the boss gauntlet). It can get repetitive but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

just to add in the Valkyrie Profile (i have played the ps2 one),the artwork,music and story defo worth a play :P altho i must say its battle system is pretty crap.and i played the first two games of the Tales on PS1 which are awesome too.

there wasnt that much good ARPG around but recent years Odin Sphere truly shines,and i havent played the Murasama. Speaking of ARPG, secret mana defo is the classic.and i have to mention the Ys series as it is basically the root of (A)RPG,but i think it didnt get much notice in western market,check out wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_%28series%29. Also heard Shiren the Wanderer series has a high reputation .and Fire Emblem and Golden Sun are very well made Rpg too.

There is a reason why FF was the top king in the jrpg world ,Square has the money and the right people to make such satisfiying ff games.but not anymore now. but still,if you want me to make up my top 10 rpg list,there is no place for the other rpgs except my FF4-10,FFT :pac: and maybe throw in Zelda and Tales.

I am so gonna play Persona and Megaten series when i am free after this May :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm always singing Odin Spheres praise so it's my shame for forgetting it. It's one of the best looking games ever. Some of the boss fights are brutal though. My advice to you tman is to level up like crazy by using the restaurant and cafe.
    Yep, I've been doing some serious levelling up before each boss battle... Thought it was just me being crap at it, but I guess not!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

Shadow Hearts 2 is very good. As good as FFX and Suikoden 5 on the PS2. Dark Chronicle is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

We really got 3 pages without mentioning Golden Sun? What's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

skies of arcadia on the gamecube is an absolute must

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd like to add Earthbound for the SNES and it's sequel Mother 3 for the GBA. Two of the most unique and charming RPGs ever made.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jazzy wrote: »
    skies of arcadia on the gamecube is an absolute must
    Skies of Arcadia is one of my most loved JRPG's of all time. I absolutly loved it. It was the first time that i ever remember going about to get all the side-quests (discoveries, weapons and crew members) in an RPG. Now i played it on the Dreamcast (best console ever btw!) so there were a **** ton of random battles, but i still loved it. The ship-ship battles, the characters (Gilder and Drachma being the best of the bunch) and the story were fantastic.

A must play JRPG imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Heres my top 10

Grandia
    Gandia 2
    Tales of symphonia
    Final fantasy 9
    Rogue galaxy
    Final fantasy 7
    wild arms
    star ocean the 2nd story
    Legend of dragoon (I enjoyed it)
    shadow hearts.

Legend of dragoon (I enjoyed it)

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

People only liked that piece of **** because they were 10-12 when they played it and knew no better. I'm amazed that it has a bit of a cult following because it's such a hollow corporate exercise to get in on the FFVII bandwagon and such a terrible game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Drakengard, just for that weird ending
    where Cain and Angelus get shot down by a fighter plane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

is
    pokemom

pokemon was an abomination towards japanese rpg games. i strongly recommend the sublime "blade of hiojhuma" on PC, a very rare game but one of the finest rpg games i have ever seen.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd like to add Earthbound for the SNES and it's sequel Mother 3 for the GBA. Two of the most unique and charming RPGs ever made.

"unique" and "charming"? more like "crap" and "****e"

"unique" and "charming"? more like "crap" and "****e"

You good sir have no taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Can one simply start off with the Mother series with Earthbound?
    Is there any real need to play Mother 1?

I've played both games and there's no connection between Mother 1 and Mother 2. Well there is a slight connection but it doesn't affect the game at all. I have heard there is a connection between Earthbound and Mother 3. You are best starting with Earthbound, I've played and finished Mother and it's a very archaic RPG. There's lots of grinding involved, the story is great by 8-bit standards but not until the very end and it's still not that great. It also gets stupidly tough at the end, the monsters in the last few sections are tougher than the end of game boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

Well, I only have two to recommend, as the most ubiquitous titles have really all been mentioned already (Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest etc.)

1. Vagrant Story was mentioned earlier and I'd stand by it as one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played. Since I place quality of story above all else the game catered to me excellently, and the English localisation was absolutely stellar. If you want to play a console RPG, I'd go with this one; it has a nice story backed up by some even better storytelling. Anyway, I believe story is what anybody would want in an RPG, which leads me on to...

2. Planescape Torment. Okay, it's not a J-RPG, true; but, if you're looking for perhaps one of the most compelling stories told in any game, you need look no further. The combat is...well...just plain out boring, but the ideas and locations you're presented with are stunning and are deservedly the real focus of the game. If you don't mind running a computer RPG and point-and-click combat, I'd recommend this gem above all else.

Must play some planetscape torment sometime. That and the Fallout games.

Cyzrane wrote: »
    Well, I only have two to recommend, as the most ubiquitous titles have really all been mentioned already (Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest etc.)

1. Vagrant Story was mentioned earlier and I'd stand by it as one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played. Since I place quality of story above all else the game catered to me excellently, and the English localisation was absolutely stellar. If you want to play a console RPG, I'd go with this one; it has a nice story backed up by some even better storytelling. Anyway, I believe story is what anybody would want in an RPG, which leads me on to...

2. Planescape Torment. Okay, it's not a J-RPG, true; but, if you're looking for perhaps one of the most compelling stories told in any game, you need look no further. The combat is...well...just plain out boring, but the ideas and locations you're presented with are stunning and are deservedly the real focus of the game. If you don't mind running a computer RPG and point-and-click combat, I'd recommend this gem above all else.

Planescape Torment is a poor game, truly ugly in all areas. terrible graphics for the time, a storyline that is extremely overwritten, and level design that isn't worth pissing on. i'd rather iron my own hair than have to play that awful game again.

I think you are the first person I've hear saya bad thing about that game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

Planescape Torment is a poor game, truly ugly in all areas. terrible graphics for the time, a storyline that is extremely overwritten, and level design that isn't worth pissing on. i'd rather iron my own hair than have to play that awful game again.

Well, I'd agree with you that the graphics aren't great but they're not the point of the game. Heck, every game has great graphics nowadays and it doesn't make any of them any better as games. I guess graphics is a particularly subjective category, but I personally don't give a damn about it. If I want realistic graphics I have plenty of high-resolution life floating around me all the time to gaze at.

As for the writing, I wouldn't call Planescape overwritten at all. It is very text-heavy, certainly; but, if you let it absorb you into its immensely complicated and fleshed-out universe and plot it's very, very rewarding to play. It never came across to me as overwrought or cheesy, it always seemed appropriate to the situation and engaging.

I'm tempted not to bother addressing it, but you did mention level design. Most quests you get in Planescape are resolved through dialogue rather than combat, so I wonder why level design has anything at all to do with the game's quality, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

01. Final Fantasy
    02. Final Fantasy II
    03. Final Fantasy III
    04. Final Fantasy IV
    05. Final Fantasy V
    06. Final Fantasy VI
    07. Final Fantasy VII
    08. Final Fantasy VIII
    09. Final Fantasy IX
    10. Legend of Dragoon

Any list with FFII is instant fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Rather than populate a list with Final Fantasys and Suikodens, here's my personal top 10 where I can only pick 1 from each series:

Suikoden II
    Final Fantasy IX
    Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
    Paper Mario
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    Tales of Symphonia
    Persona 3 FES
    Breath of Fire III
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Lost Odyssey

Nice list. Only one i'd disagree with would be lost odyssey. It took a whole to get going and I thought it was on the edge of being great but just not quite there.

It just edged out Grandia 2 thanks to Jansen and the "dreams". Not an easy choice..

I kind of preferred Grandia 1 to 2 as well :) I thought I'd hate Jansen after the awful 'drunk' scene at the start but he really did grow into the best character in that game.

Anyone I've talked to about Lost Odyssey says the same about Jansen, it's an amazing turnaround.

It was also a tough choice between the Grandias (such a good battle system) but, like with Jansen, Millenia tipped the scales for me by being such a fantastic character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Jansen's VA did a good bit of his stuff ad lib. It worked out really well imo

Kind of stands out among the stilted delivery by the rest of the cast. Gongora was a hilariously bad villain.

• Advertisement

I preferred the Justin, Sue and Feena interaction to Millenia myself. Justin was such a doofus, made me laugh out loud sometimes :)

Advertisement