Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon [** SPOILERS FROM POST 823 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm sorry, but I remain firm in my decision to boycott this horrid franchise.

Every cent this film gets will only encourage them to make another. They need to kill it, and kill it with fire.

If any series deserves a reboot, it's Transformers, because they got it fantastically wrong first, second and by early accounts third times around.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

krudler wrote: »
    Its up there alright, one of the worst blockbusters ever.

It's a bit crap alright but off the top of my head I can think of many worse blockbusters: The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Mummy Returns, Mummy 3, Jurassic Park 3, Stealth, Green Lantern, Superman Returns, Batman & Robin, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 to name a few....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's a bit crap alright but off the top of my head I can think of many worse blockbusters: The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Mummy Returns, Mummy 3, Jurassic Park 3, Stealth, Green Lantern, Superman Returns, Batman & Robin, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 to name a few....

Many better too though!

It's like saying syphilis is preferrable to gonorrhoea :p

And I sort of like Superman Returns, or maybe it was just the credits I liked. I don't fully recall.

Sticking with my Evangelion DVDs for the next few days, giant robot films with added intelligent storytelling. Little bit sexist too though. What is it about giant robots that cause filmmakers to point the camera in the direction of the nearest scantily clad female?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

actually "worst" was a big of a stretch,stuff like 2012, The Avengers and Godzilla are much worse. "badly written and made" is more apt, the script is just horrendous. I like the first movie genuinely like it, then it cos a case of the "bigger is betters" and threw in moar robots, moar explosions and moar "comedy" the mother being stoned, ugh, the minstrel twins, ugh, that little one humping Megan Foxes leg, ugh, the college roommate, UGH!

Bay can blame the writers strike all he wants but at the end of it he directed a steaming turd of a script, did nobody even read the bloody thing?!

I kinda like some of the movie you mentioned, wont say which ones though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

what!!!Mummy Returns is a good movie. rachel weisz is really picky with her roles!!!:P

OT:
    i am going to watch this tonight:D and this time i have 0 expection for this, i totally expect sh!tty performance from Shia and that model girl but please show me MichealBay your explosion power in 3D!!!

and rofl the wiki page gets locked atm because of this:
    roflt3wikipage.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Every cent this film gets will only encourage them to make another. They need to kill it, and kill it with fire.

If any series deserves a reboot, it's Transformers, because they got it fantastically wrong first, second and by early accounts third times around.

I completely disagree. Whilst the films are far from perfect (even far from good in certain objective ways of judging movies), the cartoon didn't make sense a lot of the time either. There's plot holes and annoying characters in the animated movie and the comics jumped back and forth between two independent writing teams writing stories with completely different styles, characters and events. And both were completely subservient to a toy company.

But none of that really matters because at their heart there's a spirit to this franchise and it's a spirit which Bay, for all of his faults, has latched onto. His version of Transformers is far more faithful to the important parts of the franchise than any number of filmmakers have been to a number of franchises from our childhood.

Transformers 3 is going to have cartoon-style characters, childish comedy, a nonsensical plot, huge explosions, insane violence and massive robots fighting eachother before turning into cool vehicles and guns. Anyone going expecting to see anything else must not realise they're going to a Michael Bay film or, for that matter, that they're going to a Transformers film. Personally, I can't bloody wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

feckers in vue are showing this tonight at 9pm and a minute past midnight (which means youll get home circa 3am for that one ! )

i hadnt a clue about this as i actually belived their website last week when it said they wouldnt start showing it till wednesday.

its only the 3D one mind so all you guys with dodgy eyes will have to wait till wed for one you can see.

im going wed with the bro as he's in that set so im not too annoyed but still if your gonna have a site that says it has cinema times up to a week in advance bloddy well do it.

Oh, the original series is hardly the stuff of high art either! I never really was a Transformers fan as a kid, so I'm kind of removed from the whole thing. I have watched the original film and played the 'good' games in the franchise (the recent War for Cybertron, the PS2 game). I've enjoyed them for the silly nonsense they are.

The film franchise I can't even bring myself to just turn off my brain and go with it. The flaws are too numerous, too soul-destroying. Let's leave aside the much heralded objectionable Bayisms (sexism, racism and conservatism - the big three!) and you're still left with two (probably three, although it's unfair to comment) dreadful films. The much praised '**** exploding' isn't handled with any sort of aplomb - instead, it's badly design robots (so much grey!) confusingly duking it out with the occasional lashing of lazy slo-mo. The humour is the kind of stuff that only teenagers or younger should find funny - mom eats hash cookies! LOL! The love interests have as much depth as a paddling pool. The stories are just silly (admittedly they always have been), LaBeouf is a pain in the ass and his supporting cast are worse, good actors like Jon Tuturro are wasted in poorly written roles. I could go on, but even when you ignore stuff like Obama's peaceful advisor being kicked out of a plane for suggesting a non-military solution and the audience is invited to cheer there's a shedload of stuff to complain about.

Now, I, like everyone, enjoy a bit of mindless fun, where you just let the action play out and go along for the ride. But if something like Jurassic Park is an awesome Disneyland rollercoaster, Transformers is one of those horrible cheap seafront rides that bring you to the point of getting sick (where the best stop) and then keeps going for another five increasingly woozy minutes. It's the one franchise I genuinely find it hard to believe people actively enjoy - again, entitled to that opinion, but there's so much wrong with it it's close to being the most awful franchise currently spewing out films.

There's room out there for a good film featuring giant robots fighting and shooting each other. Transformers is far from it.

How do you know , if you have not seen them ?

How do you know , if you have not seen them ?

I have regrettably seen the first two. The second only because it was the only English language film in a foreign cinema. Fool me twice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dr. Kermode has seen it, and offered up an action preview of his upcoming review (due Friday). Could have been better in 3D, perhaps ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh, the original series is hardly the stuff of high art either! I never really was a Transformers fan as a kid, so I'm kind of removed from the whole thing. I have watched the original film and played the 'good' games in the franchise (the recent War for Cybertron, the PS2 game). I've enjoyed them for the silly nonsense they are.

The film franchise I can't even bring myself to just turn off my brain and go with it. The flaws are too numerous, too soul-destroying. Let's leave aside the much heralded objectionable Bayisms (sexism, racism and conservatism - the big three!) and you're still left with two (probably three, although it's unfair to comment) dreadful films. The much praised '**** exploding' isn't handled with any sort of aplomb - instead, it's badly design robots (so much grey!) confusingly duking it out with the occasional lashing of lazy slo-mo. The humour is the kind of stuff that only teenagers or younger should find funny - mom eats hash cookies! LOL! The love interests have as much depth as a paddling pool. The stories are just silly (admittedly they always have been), LaBeouf is a pain in the ass and his supporting cast are worse, good actors like Jon Tuturro are wasted in poorly written roles. I could go on, but even when you ignore stuff like Obama's peaceful advisor being kicked out of a plane for suggesting a non-military solution and the audience is invited to cheer there's a shedload of stuff to complain about.

Now, I, like everyone, enjoy a bit of mindless fun, where you just let the action play out and go along for the ride. But if something like Jurassic Park is an awesome Disneyland rollercoaster, Transformers is one of those horrible cheap seafront rides that bring you to the point of getting sick (where the best stop) and then keeps going for another five increasingly woozy minutes. It's the one franchise I genuinely find it hard to believe people actively enjoy - again, entitled to that opinion, but there's so much wrong with it it's close to being the most awful franchise currently spewing out films.

There's room out there for a good film featuring giant robots fighting and shooting each other. Transformers is far from it.

I enjoyed the first one but the second remains one of the worst films I've ever seen on the big screen. I'm still going to part with my money for this one in the hope its more like the first one. TBH though I'm not sure I would have found the first one much good if I hadn't been such a fan of Transformers as a kid, the few nods to the original animated movie that were present made me geek out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

best part of the first movie:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    best part of the first movie:

That score pretty much gave what little gravitas there was to the first film..

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I enjoyed the first one but the second remains one of the worst films I've ever seen on the big screen. I'm still going to part with my money for this one in the hope its more like the first one. TBH though I'm not sure I would have found the first one much good if I hadn't been such a fan of Transformers as a kid, the few nods to the original animated movie that were present made me geek out.

The first is certainly less offensively awful, but I still hated how 'wacky' the whole thing was for the first hour or more. And when the action came, it was muddled and confusing. The second merely inflated these already damning flaws while also adding tonnes more for good measure.

I'd agree the soundtrack was the best part of all. The scene in the first when the Transformers arrive on Earth was actually pretty rousing stuff. Alas, it felt like it belonged in a better film.

I'd agree the soundtrack was the best part of all. The scene in the first when the Transformers arrive on Earth was actually pretty rousing stuff. Alas, it felt like it belonged in a better film.

Yea, almost felt like maybe Brad Bird or someone had taken over for a few minutes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

The first is certainly less offensively awful, but I still hated how 'wacky' the whole thing was for the first hour or more. And when the action came, it was muddled and confusing. The second merely inflated these already damning flaws while also adding tonnes more for good measure.

Actually I thought the action in the first one was really well done. Even thinking back on it I can understand what was going on and even remember some of the awesome sequences, maybe even a line or two of dialogue. The 2nd one I can remember nothing of the entire movie except big dangly balls, robot gods resurrecting people, teleportation, racist twins and a human decepticon.

Think my anger over such rubbish making it into the movie blocked out the action bits! However I am looking forward to this for the action and the 3D. The way they're bigging up the 3D I'm expecting something on par with Avatar & Tron which will be a nice change after all the horrible converted 3D films released since Tron. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Zee German trailer vit sum different footage, yaw!

well someone mustve been giving out to VUE as theyve slapped on another screen for 9pm tonight as the first one is now down to the front row seats.

Theyve also slapped on double the number of shows for the 2D version starting on wednesday.

im off to the 20.15 showing of that with the brother then as his gammy eye renders the 3D useless.

looking forward to it now.

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A few mates going to see this later in the week and I'm seriously considering giving in and joining them.

• Advertisement

While I wouldn't pass heed with Jim Cameron and Bay talking about how great the 3D is in this (of course they got to sell it) I'll probably go see it in that format tomorrow.

Whatever about the reviews, which have been more favourable than pure hatred like the 2nd film, they at least say the 3D effects are pretty good

Now, I, like everyone, enjoy a bit of mindless fun, where you just let the action play out and go along for the ride. But if something like Jurassic Park

If you're lumping Jurassic Park in the 'mindless fun' category then you are simply too harsh a critic for your own good.

In the future someone is going to distill the most awesome drug imaginable and will call it BAYHEM allowing users to see the world through the eyes of Michael Bay. Imagine mundane tasks such as walking the dog, suddenly there are epic 360 sweeping shots, helicopters, explosions and no fat chicks anywhere to be seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

If you're lumping Jurassic Park in the 'mindless fun' category then you are simply too harsh a critic for your own good.

what else was it?

certainly wasn't top quality sci fi

In the future someone is going to distill the most awesome drug imaginable and will call it BAYHEM allowing users to see the world through the eyes of Michael Bay. Imagine mundane tasks such as walking the dog, suddenly there are epic 360 sweeping shots, helicopters, explosions and no fat chicks anywhere to be seen.

This is how I want to eat my cereal every morning :D

what else was it?

certainly wasn't top quality sci fi

You and I must have different definitions of 'top quality' and 'sci fi'.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This is how I want to eat my cereal every morning :D

the micheal bay collects his mail is better though !

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Just back from it and i thought it was brilliant. You just can't beat 70 foot tall robots kicking the crap out of each other.

It was a solid 8 out of 10 to a certain point , the end of it brought it down to about a 4 or 5 out of 10. I like the other 2 movie's this is the worst out of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

My eyes actually hurt

Far too long and dragged out if it was an hour shorter it would have been perfect

New girl is decent

3d didn't add much to it but I'm not a massive fan of the format

Advertisement