Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon [** SPOILERS FROM POST 823 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

It was a solid 8 out of 10 to a certain point , the end of it brought it down to about a 4 or 5 out of 10. I like the other 2 movie's this is the worst out of the lot.
    More ass kicking was needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Galvasean wrote: »
    If you're lumping Jurassic Park in the 'mindless fun' category then you are simply too harsh a critic for your own good.

I love Jurassic Park but certainly wouldn't call it much more than an extremely competent summer blockbuster. There's very few films of that scale I'd consider anything more than mindless fun. I enjoy the odd explosion, who doesn't? When someone does it with the flair of JJ Abrams or vintage Spielberg I'm happy to just turn off my brain and enjoy the silliness. There's only a tiny amount of big budget spectacle films that actually have thought provoking themes and ideas - Christopher Nolan obviously being the contemporary poster for it.

I have little ill to say of Jurassic Park, but honestly it kind of is just people getting chased by dinosaurs, with the odd broad anti-screwing-with-nature commentary thrown in. That's hardly a bad thing considering it's ****ing awesome. And that latter point is where it departs from Transformers, which is basically just people getting chased by giant robots, but it's ****ing dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Just a mess in every sense of the word, but if you like explosions, it's knock out stuff. There is one plot twist towards the end in which
    the autobots are placed into exile
    which is easily the most unconvincing plot twist I've seen in recent years, just awful stuff. The 3D was excellent in my opinion and I did get a sense of vertigo during the bit where the skyscraper is falling. I think there is a never ending list of negatives to throw at the film, but if you want action, action, action, you've come to the right place in eyepopping 3D! 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ok, this one is defo better than the second one. looks like bay has learnt to edit his film better this time(oh and the use of the colourful autobots <3).

visually - it is nearly a flawless visual practice, i really dont think what can i ask more from our 21th century cgi and Bay's visual execution is excellent as always(seriously this maybe his best work yet).

story - the script is literally a piece of toilet paper. i think Bay spent about $10 to the writer(out of the $300MILLIONS budget?). i havent seen any A class budget hollywood with such sh!tty story writing. i mean, do they even try to put the slightest effort in it. there are too many things doesnt make sense in this movie. i wouldnt even call them plothole, as there is no plot :pac:

recommend for: people who can 100% shut down their brain processing function, become a zombie who enjoys solely for the visuals. luckily i have 0 expectation before i went in :pac: i quite enjoy the visuals. and ohya, all the young girls in the film are probably from Victoria's secret too lol

oh one last thing, i really wanna know how do the hardcore Transformer fans feel about this movie. i'guess they would be pissed (hardcore). GOOD GOD,
    megatron is a truck this time!!!
    WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just back from it, the 3D is spectacular, I'd even say its as good if not better than Avatar's. Bay uses focus pulling and moving shots like nobody has done yet in 3D, while other 3D films have layers, this has layers and proper depth perception.
    Remember the shot from the trailer of the guys in the winged suits jumping out of the back of the helicopter? that scene is worth the price of the ticket alone, I actually felt the vertigo inducing sensation of it as the camera looks straight down and they plummet to earth(a few people actually turned away during it so its an effective shot)
    Theres also a shot of Starscream in the air flying vertically miles above the earth thats actually incredible to see on a big screen.

Now the bad points, the first half is utterly, utterly bizarre. Humour thats not funny, characters that neither do anything for the plot not say or do anything remotely interesting, its at least 45 minutes too long, new hot girl cant act but my lord she stands around looking pretty and does it well. But it honestly feels like two different movies stuck together at some point in the middle. Some ludicrous plot points dont
    help either.

Once it kicks into high gear, and good christ does it kick into high gear, the last 50 minutes or so are basically one extended action sequence, it delivers the spectacle you'd imagine and then some, there are some truly jaw dropping sequences, the building collapse from the trailer and a slow mo running gunfight along a motorway being the highlights. The cgi is flawless for the most part as well.

overall its a huge improvement on Revenge of the Fallen and not as good as the first, but way more impressive visually. Its also pretty violent, the robots now bleed red liquid as opposed to oil and sparks and bits of metal like the first two, theres a few shots of random decepticons and autobots having limbs torn off and heads severed accompanied by a spray of red oil or whatever its meant to be.

I'd give it 3 out of 5, purely for the action and visuals

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    I actually felt the vertigo inducing sensation of it as the camera looks straight down and they plummet to earth

I got that too, it was brilliantly horrible! :pac: I'm absolutely terrified of heights and the shot worked a treat. Best moment of the film by far.

I got that too, it was brilliantly horrible! :pac: I'm absolutely terrified of heights and the shot worked a treat. Best moment of the film by far.

definitely, its the most effect use of 3D I've seen yet, I got that rollercoast or sudden drop "uggh" feeling in the pit of my stomach when the camera followed them out of the chopper and looked straight down, just seeing the ground hundreds of feet down and them flying straight towards was a brilliant moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

can i get a confirmation on the ending that was spoiled to me
    optimus and megatron join forces at the end to defeat sentinal prime and megatron after defeating him just gives up and leaves for cybertron?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    optimus and megatron join forces at the end to defeat sentinal prime and megatron after defeating him just gives up and leaves for cybertron?

Partial shannigoats there, the latter half definately.
    Megatron is told by the girl that Sentinal Prime is upstaging him, so he goes off to destroy him.

The ending didnt sit right with me at all
    Optimus executes a surrendered Sentinel Prime then tears Megatron's, who calls for a truce, head off with an axe? and this is the supposed good guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Optimus executes a surrendered Sentinel Prime then tears Megatron's, who calls for a truce, head off with an axe? and this is the supposed good guy?

micheal bay
    established a very strange tone with optimus prime and the autobots since the opening of revenge of the fallen when he executes a dying deceptacon rather coldly in the opening scene.

Hang on? I'm confused. I'm almost sure
    he blows Megatron away with a gun to the head, killing him Dirty Harry style?

Hang on? I'm confused. I'm almost sure
    he blows Megatron away with a gun to the head, killing him Dirty Harry style?
    No it was Sentinel Prime he shoots after Megatron injures him, I cant remember if he kills Megatron first then executes Prime second but he basically rips Megatrons head off with the axe as theres a shot of his head landing on the ground with it still embedded in his face, and shoots Prime twice in the head

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    micheal bay
    established a very strange tone with optimus prime and the autobots since the opening of revenge of the fallen when he executes a dying deceptacon rather coldly in the opening scene.

Also
    that giant decepticon is basically sitting there doing nothing in the opening scene before the autobots and army turn up and start shooting at it for no given reason

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can anyone who saw this in 3D confirm whether the image was noticeably brighter than usual? Will probably depend a lot on the cinema though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Meh to the max. I thought the first 15 minutes was brilliant and was hoping it would be a good film.

The girl is shocking. She's hot but a terrible actress.

The last hour felt so drawn out. I was just waiting for it to end.

The overall movie should of been shortened.

Action is good, 3D is okay.

The scene when the guys fly through the city after hopping out of the chopper is very cool.

2/5

Can anyone who saw this in 3D confirm whether the image was noticeably brighter than usual? Will probably depend a lot on the cinema though.

I dont like 3D in the cinema but this was pretty good. I didnt find it as dark as other 3d movies .

100% agreed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Didn't enjoy it I have to say...
    Shia's character really irked me! "I saved the world twice"...No, you didn't - here, just like the other two, you cower and let giant robots take bullets and then save the world. Deserved a slap in the face.

New girl did little to nothing.

The parents seemed really unsupportive. Their tone just didn't sit. They were kinda goofy but loving in the other ones. Teasing really...Here, they just seemed visibly disappointed at all times.

Waaaaay too much convenience - James Bond Gadgets (ok, character reference was Q, but still - it didn't mesh), Autobots stuck on Earth...yet have a spaceship to go to the moon, and then can be sent away in a second one! James Bond style plan-reveal at the end. Every spy drone was being shot down.......but six helicopters made it into the city (with a couple actually managing to drop people off). And whoever designed that glass building should be commissioned for every building in the world - it can hang at 45degrees for a lifetime, be shot at with guns and rockets, be smashed into and constricted by a giant robot......and still stand.

Characters clearly fighting for screen time - one scene in particular; when they find the downed drone that has camera. Shia and...the girl...take turns to say something to it.
    On the plus side:
    I thought the 3D was well done (though I'm still not a believer)
    I liked that the action scenes were clearer - 1 & 2 just felt like there were shards of metal everywhere with no clear view of what was happening.
    Some decent humour (though I was agitated at some of the other downfalls so was too distracted to fully enjoy)

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/28/box-office-preview-transformers-dark-moon-opening-day/

the second or last paragraph there says the studios sent out extra bright prints, i didnt know they could just do that, wtf have the other morons been doing sending out dark 3D films, idiots

i thought it was enjoyable, i didnt think the 3D added much, i have fairly bad vertigo but noting in the film made me dizzy as others have been saying,

i think sam is juts plain annoying tbh, hes a horrible lead, i dunno why they made him such a pussy, and moaner aaaaalllllllllll of the time, it gets annoying, and i cant stand john turturro, if they just left out the humans this would have been a lot better, bar some of the military casting and probably the human bad guy (patrick dempsey) the whole film is miss cast,

id give it a generous 7 outta 10, a lot of the action and robot stuff made up for the human elements of the film, i wasnt expecting much which is why i said 7 instead of 6,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

seraphimvc wrote: »
    ok ....

oh one last thing, i really wanna know how do the hardcore Transformer fans feel about this movie. i'guess they would be pissed (hardcore). GOOD GOD,
    megatron is a truck this time!!!
    WTF

havent seen it myself as im going tonight but from what ive seen most people have no problem with your spoiler as its been known for months and theyve come to accept it. even if it is bloody stupid.

what REALLY seems to be pissing people off is
    optimus prime becoming a psychopath for the last 10 minutes or so. apparently its like the beginning of ROTF all over again leaving many to wonder if you can really call bays version him a hero.

now ive no problem with prime ripping people to peices, but he only does that when he's no choice and from what ive been reading it looks like megs was surrendering/offering a truce and what happens to sentinel prime is just demoliser mark two.

personally i dont expect it to bother me as bay has **** all concept of these guys characters and i accept the films as totally differnt beasts.

it DOES make me wonder WTF bay thinks the american military gets up to though if this stuff doesnt bother him as if people did this stuff your talking war crimes.

on another note im glad at the way its reported to end as to get another film will mean a full reboot which is grand by me !

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hmm, judging by a;; that spoiler text the ending is.... something. Guess I'll have to find out for myself when I see it.

So from what I'm reading here, general consensus is effects, 3D and action - good. Everything else - bad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, judging by a;; that spoiler text the ending is.... something. Guess I'll have to find out for myself when I see it.

So from what I'm reading here, general consensus is effects, 3D and action - good. Everything else - bad?
    Isn't that what everyone was expecting though? The bar for story / characterisation in a Michael Bay movie is so stunningly low I'm surprised people even look for it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

this time they get the seal of REAL3D aka better than those 'fake' 3D movies but to me i am just feeling meh, i was expecting alot of explosion exploded to my face but i was disappointed. it is still wayyy better than the average (fake) 3D film tho.

and oh the
    terrible
    ending, i think Bay's contract is ended with this trilogy so he decided to
    kill off
    everything:D i mean seriously he even
    killed off Cybertron, i was thinking it should gets sucking back to its universe but it gets destroyed instead lol
    . i guess they can now either do a reboot or use the Transformer anime movie(Hotrod+Unicron!!!).

there are too many things doesnt make sense in this movie. i really dont give a damn to the story at all. become a zombie if you decided to go it to solely watch for its visuals!

I took off my glasses a couple of times and it did look brighter in a couple of scenes but not massively, could have just been the cinema I saw it in though they're kinda lazy with their projection standards lately but the good one wasnt showing it until today.

Its something alright, I'm presuming you read about
    Optimus becoming a cold blooded executioner/war criminal in the closing moments, and it literally goes from Megaton and Sentinels death to 10-15 seconds of "war affects us all and sometimes you have to kill people for the greater goood-bam- "directed by Michael Bay", no wrapping up montage, no showing the autobots living in peace, nothing
    , its bizarre I kinda want to see it again just to have a proper look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No chance in hell I'm checking what you wrote Krudler ;)
    I've been avoiding reading spoilers however I did read that
    Shockwave transforms into that big tentacled monstrosity
    . That sounds very WFTish to me. I think it may have been a mistranslation.
    Don't tell me if it's correct/incorrect. I'll be seeing the film in a day or two.

No chance in hell I'm checking what you wrote Krudler ;)
    I've been avoiding reading spoilers however I did read that
    Shockwave transforms into that big tentacled monstrosity
    . That sounds very WFTish to me. I think it may have been a mistranslation.
    Don't tell me if it's correct/incorrect. I'll be seeing the film in a day or two.

Ha right so, I did enjoy what is enjoyable about it, and I really mean it when I say the skydiving scene is absolutely stunning to see in 3D. I was sat right in the middle and it was so immersive. If more movies had the effort put into like Bay did they'd work much better. When you see 3D focus pulling its a cool visual instead of other 3D movies that have everything in focus but just on different layers, its hard to describe but you'll notice it immediately in the first few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I took off my glasses a couple of times and it did look brighter in a couple of scenes but not massively, could have just been the cinema I saw it in though they're kinda lazy with their projection standards lately but the good one wasnt showing it until today.
    That's the thing, no point showing this if the projection system is not up to scratch, anyone know of a good cinema showing this near to Dundalk as I've heard from a few people the 3D here in IMC Dundalk isn't great and way too dull. Is there even a 2D version showing?

Advertisement