Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon [** SPOILERS FROM POST 823 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Was at the premier.Im easily pleased with films. I thought it was amazing visually.Dragged out and bit.Took my glasses off a bit and it was so much brigther without them.4/5 for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Just back from the cinema after watching it, it's everything you want in an action movie! Without doubt better than the second one anyway. Wasn't hugely impressed with some parts in the middle of it, they could have been taken out and it wouldn't have harmed the storyline, but other than that I'm delighted with it, 9/10 :D

absolutely loved it! mayhem, brilliant mayhem! cant wait for it to come out on dvd so i can wtach all three back to back, 7hrs 48 mins of madness, i think you might actually die around the 6 hour mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Unless Bay has drastically altered the second movie upon release on DVD I think you'll be dead a long time before you reach the 6hr mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Really enjoyed the action and 3D in this. Hangover guy, Alan Tudyk and John Turturro were the only decent humans though. Someone needs to re-edit the movie down to 90 minutes of those guys and the action taking out the hour of Sam his folks and McDreamy near the start. I'd watch that 90 minute version again right now, but not sitting through 2.5 hrs of dull nonsense without a fast forward button.

There were some noticable *scene missing* moments near the end too, felt like there was some action bits left out, maybe the entire movie could've been set in and around the final battle. Like Lord of The Rings: The Twin Towers. That would've been a much better action-packed movie. But what's there is good. Just be aware that it'll try your patience but thankfully there's nothing grating like the racist twins in this. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I enjoyed this, hell of a lot better than the 2nd film. Did it justify 3D to me? Nope, though a handful of scenes really stood out in that format (The sky jump was incredible)

This really had glimpses of what a Transformers film was meant to be: Epic, long steady shots of robots beating each other and actual stakes.

Bay at least understands how 3D works and while it was utilised well with no cheap tricks it still doesn't make the experience any better. The focusing was noticeable but it didn't really impress me, it was just different. The intro set up the 3D pretty well but nothing until the sky jump really makes it stand out for this format.

The middle reaaaaaaaally dragged on when you knew the big battle was coming and you just wanted the movie to get into it but when it does................wow..................Bay finally learned to put that camera on a rig and stop being so chop-happy with the editing. The CGI was utterly flawless and brought back plenty of moments of "woah" that the entire 2nd film lacked. I really enjoyed those long, one-shot action sequences instead of the "Lets just stick a static camera here and plop some narly effects later" type.

Storyline was utterly cack and made feck all sense since it disregards the previous films, the girl was just blatant eye candy, pointless sub-plots, in your face Cisco and other advertisments, too much music from Linkin Park and other hot-at-the-moment bands, but if you want action this movie delivers in spades.

However,
    the ending was such an insult considering how much faith people had in this franchise despite all of it's faults. I'm actually suprised the trilogy was allowed to end this way considering Optimus did some questionable things litteraly 2 minutes before. The entire cinema let out a "huh?" moment when the credits just came out of nowhere

Again, the only winner in this franchise were the CGI and stunt team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ok went to see this last night with the brother so heres my thoughts.

its better than the second, though thats faint praise, once more though it seems to suffer from one of bays chronic conditions that afflict other films he's done.

its TOO fecking long.

now i should point out i saw the 2D version as my bro cant see the 3D ones and i got the sense that some of what made the film drag was the fact alot of scenes were meant to be seen in 3D for their full effect, essentially giving you "avatar" syndrome ,i.e LOOKS cool, but when ya see it on 2d DVD its actually ****ing boring .

and THATS my worst criticism of this film.

in many places it bores the bloody hell out of you and you just wish they'd get ON with it.

like revenge of the fallen you could knock off a good 45 min and get a much tighter film.

it also doesnt help that the stuff bay came up with storywise is actually worse than the elements they nicked from the cartoon series. i got NO sense of mystery or conspiracy as all the fecking detail were pretty much given to you in the first few minutes.

and thats another thing.

for a film THIS long theres whole parts of it dealing in stuff that could actually do with a bit of pacing ran through at practically the speed of light. the scene were america goes to the moon is done with more pathos and drama in the bloody trailer than its done in the film. this is just fecking criminal when you see how much time is given to carly and her bloody bunny.

the film is just ALL over the place editing wise.

dont get me wrong theres some lovely stuff too. mcdormand (spl) is actually very good as galloway mrk2 , and tudyk is brilliant. i actually wanted to know what his story was as there was alot more going on there than was actually explored. rosie isnt as atrocious as i expected her to be and mr macdreamy played a great macbastard. i even had a smidgeon of sympathy for him as he pretty much got pressganged into his situation .

there were some lovely ideas in here, alot of it just got lost in execution meaning there was no real drama or tension .

the transformers themselves, as per usual, got **** all character development beyond those absolutely necessary to furthering the plot and optimus
    does indeed go all psychopath at the end, but i have to say its not as jarring this time considering whats actually happend in the film by this stage and what looked like the destruction of cybertron.

now onto the good.

the effects are much better, and its actually nice to see characters like epps and lennox meeting up with sam after what genuinely feels like a decent amount of time.

the battle scenes are epic and once it gets going make for the film you really came to see (bit like how in pearl harbour your better off turning up 90min in). i couldnt belive that i actually liked brains and wheelie in this and the combat itself is far more brutal than the last two films, evoking bloodshed on the part of the TFs in places.

the driller is a fantastic looking enemy and shockwave makes an imposing, if bugger all developed , bad guy.

and laserbeak in particular was ALOT more fun than i thought he was going to be, he was a right little bastard. there are some shocking deaths and developments and certain characters get a bit more time in the sun than last time (sideswipe for instance)

and we FINALLY get to see cybertron, which while not the best, is at least better than the short clip in the first film and
    when compared to earth seems to imply its about the size of saturn from the little bit of it that cam through

all in all thogh its another Transformers film that will be more fun to watch on DVD when you can skip whole swathes of it.

bay HAS done stuff that makes you think this is the last of em, and TBH im glad as if we get another i hope he's not making it as i think he's done as much as he can with the franchise and indeed in place in this seemed to be treading old ground (the freeway fight for instance, seemed just an update of the one in the first one).

heres hoping for a reboot from someon that gets the concept better.

i really dont know how to rate this though, those that dont like bay or arent pushed on transformers will HATE this i think, so its probably only a 4 out of 10 to them.

personally ill give it 6 out of 10, with the provisio that ive yet to see it in 3D .

EDIT.

One thing that really did annoy me was the constant use of "blackout" scene shifts. ive no idea what the hell he was going for but half the time i thought the projector had broken or skipped ahead of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thought it was fantastic, although for me it ended a bit sudden thought since it was the last one they might give us a bit more closure especially with chiacgo being all ****ed up.
    Id just like to thank Michael Bay for introducing us to Rosy Huntington

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sorry Darko, but I'm defecting.

THAT WAS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Analysis at a later date when I've stopped foaming at the mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

THAT WAS ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes yes yes!

Let rage fuel your emotions. Come to the dark side...my apprentice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Galvasean wrote: »

Welcome to our side friend.

It's nice over here. We have cookies and Natalie Portman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Galvasean wrote: »

Oh bollox, the wife is mad keen to go this weekend.. I gave up after ROTF.

Actually, I gave up on Michael Bay after Bad Boys II.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

I thought it couldnt get any worse after ROTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

guys, it is BETTER than the ROTF :pac: i did not fall asleep this time!!!

but still sh*te as it is.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why do people keep saying DOTM is better than ROTF as if its an achievement? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It was much better then ROTF IMO. Perhaps I had lowered my expectations so much that I enjoyed it more then I should but I thought it was good.

That said, can anybody tell me if I missed anything. Think I missed the first 3 or 4 mins.

Small spoiler at start:
    When I got in the president was talking about going to the moon and then Nasa were talking to Armstrong on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

faceman wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying DOTM is better than ROTF as if its an achievement? :pac:

its like saying a punch in the face is better than a punch in the balls :pac:

I think I'd take the ball punching over watching ROTF un full again though..

its like saying a punch in the face is better than a punch in the balls :pac:

I think I'd take the ball punching over watching ROTF in full again though..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Must..resist..temptation..to..read..spoilers..in..this..thread!!

Mostly because while I didn't expect much, I'm still kinda curious about how this trilogy ends and it CAN'T be worse than ROTF?!

But, like someone else's brother in this thread, 3D doesn't really work for me so is it worth shelling out to see or should I wait for the 1080p er..pre-release version and watch it at home on my 40" Samsung?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

its bay.

it actually couldve been worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

DOTM is a mess, personally I'll be glad to see the back of that Bay fella the man has lost the plot I don't even know where to begin.

There are some really good Directors out there, including, I'm sure, a great many indie and unknowns who would make twice the film with a tenth of the budget. So why the Hollywood mafia keep letting bay loose with millions is beyond me, he has done his very best to butcher this entire franchise past the point of no return.

DOTM actually has a pretty decent story for the first while, finally showing the Decepticons as being "deceptive" (fancy that eh). The only problem is you have to pretty much wipe out the events of the 2nd film in order for this to make even the slightest bit of sense.
    If Megatron knew about this contraption on the Moon, why the whole need for The Fallen and the machine buried under the Pyramid in ROTF? That was to "consume Earth's sun" we were told, when they could've just headed for the moon and saved themselves a long and lengthy battle in the desert. Just a thought.

The new girl wasn't actually too bad, just there for the sake of having a hot piece of ass on screen but I thought she did no worse than the rest of the cast. Shia LeBoeuf gets more irritating each time I see him.

The action is good however, some great shots where you can see every detail but the film itself is far too long. Only Michael Bay could make a trilogy about giant space robots utterly boring. Bravo, sir. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

i went to see it last night , utter shyte really (IMO)

the only entertaining part I thought was the peach Rosie Huntington-Whiteley., an unbelievebly fine ass ,

if your thinking of going just To pass the time ....don't go ,

• Registered Users Posts: 86,416 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1666625/transformers-dark-moon-shia-labeouf-megan-fox-rosie-huntington-whiteley.jhtml
    MTV News went straight to the source and enlisted LaBeouf and Huntington-Whiteley to explain the appeal and attraction of their characters, Sam and Carly, and to compare the "Dark of the Moon" relationship to the one between Sam and Mikaela, established in the first two installments.
    "The relationship the first time was a person chasing after a woman that he envied out of pure vanity," LaBeouf told us. "He didn't even know her, and he gets burned by it," he added, hinting at a "Dark of the Moon" scene where his character admits to being flat-out dumped by girlfriend #1.
    "[In this film], you find him with a woman who's more nurturing, who has a more maternal-type vibe; she's lighter," LaBeouf explained. "You went from a biker-machine-shop chick, which is a totally different sentiment, to a woman who's fresh out of college working for the British embassy as a diplomatic aide; it's a very different personality."
    LaBeouf also revealed that before Huntington-Whiteley was cast, he suggested to director Michael Bay that they go for a girl who was the exact opposite of Megan Fox's Mikaela. "I remember pitching to Mike, 'Maybe we should go with a more bookish type,' " he recalled.
    "Mike said to me — and there's two faces to this that are hilarious and insane and also genius, so three sides. I remember him saying to me, 'Shia, we're not going with any bookish anything. This is a summer movie — we need a summer girl.' To his credit, Mike really understands his audience. There's a certain audience that goes to see these movies that has certain requirements that it needs out of its summer movies."
    From Huntington-Whiteley's perspective, her character sees something different in Sam than Mikaela did.
    "She is so in love with him. He as a character, he's so funny, Sam, and he has such a great family in the movies," she said. "As the movie goes on, it kind of unfolds that she's had a hard time with her family. She's worked really hard, she's come from England. I think she finds him and he's the first person who adores her, as he should, and she loves that he adores her and they have this really lovely relationship," she explained. "It's a sweet thing. Shia was great to play that, with of course."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Quite possibly one of the worst movies I have seen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Feck sake folks, I hope you should all know by now to leave the brain parked outside when going into watch a Bay movie. I enjoyed it and so did my Godson and that is all that matters to me as a fan of Transformers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Galva, I'd be interested to hear an unspoilered run down from you as to why it's so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dit guitar society

i want to see this, so advice is lower expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Yes yes yes!

Let rage fuel your emotions. Come to the dark side...my apprentice!
    Welcome to our side friend.

It's nice over here. We have cookies and Natalie Portman.

I was expecting the two of you to follow up on my post, but thought Johnny would get in first.
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Galva, I'd be interested to hear an unspoilered run down from you as to why it's so bad!

Without going into too much detail...

-The film is WAY too long. It's about 2 and a half hours. 45 minutes could have been easily shaved off without losing much. First twenty minutes or so are interesting. The following hour and a half (bar a very good action/chase sequence on a freeway) is jsut slow and very very dull. The odd gag is funny, but most are dumb and simply not funny.
    - Too many Autobot characters with abut 3 lines each. Even I, with my prior knowledge of who was going to be in the movie and my Bachelors degree in Transformersology, found it hard to tell who was who.
    - When the big battle kicks off and the soldiers jump out of the planes (epic 3D sequence) I was thinking "Here we go, things are about to get cool!" Not really. Apart from the 3D effects the big battle is lame. The Autobots do buzz all fighting. It's the American army (complete with flag) that do all the ass kicking.
    - Optimus Prime is a bloodthirsty ogre in this. Example, at one point to rally the Autobots he yells, "We will kill them all!!!!" And taht cool sequence in the trailer where he kicks Decepticon tail? That's it. You just saw the full sequence in the trailer (albeit with cooler music).
    - That new Linkin Park song is woeful and segwayed in inappropriately, ruining an otherwise decent sequence. (the lyrics describe what is going on on screen. It's cringe worthy)
    - The scripting is pretty woeful. That's why I'm not gonna dismiss Rosie whatserface as a terrible actor. She has virtually zero to work with.
    - Shia Lebouff, action hero. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking having him fight 35 foot tall robots!?!!??! It's beyond ludicrous.
    - A lot of the Transformers' transformations are lazy. No effort was made to make it look like the robots could possibly change into their alt. modes. A lot of them just become a blur of pixels and suddenly, they're something else entirely.
    - The big battle sequence toward the end was basically a emake of Battle: Los Angeles (which was alos rubbish), right down to the flying drone things, which were almost identical.

Gonna need spoiler tags from now on, sorry LZ:
    - Shockwave
    is introduced as being a super powerful nemesis of Optimus Prime at the start. He disappears from teh movie for over an houronly to appear toward the end when he is defeated (rather easily) by G.I. Joe. He also speaks exclusively in jibberish (sorry, 'Cybertronian') so has no personality or sense of motive. He's just another goon basically.
    - Barricade
    "Oh cool, the cop car guy from teh first film is back, no wait, G.I. Joe killed him...
    - Starscream
    killed in hand to hand combat by Shia Lebouff. 'nuf said.
    - Megatron
    Can reformat his entire bdy, but not fix his fecking Fugly face. Ri-ight... Plus he sits about in an alley like a hobo untile Rosie Whatsherface calls him a bitch (yep), which for some reason spurs him into battle where he meets his end at the hands of a bloodthirsty Optimus Prime
    - The endgame
    ripped right from one of the zanier G1 season 1 storylines (The Ultimate Doom), except made dumber. At least in the 80s cartoon Starscream wanted to teleport Cyberton to destroy Earth on purpose. Here the Decepticons want to use humans as slaves (despite being to small to lift anything...). Sentinel is meantto be a genius among Transformers, but doesn't understand basic gravity.
    - Soundwave
    has the Autobots captive and starts executing them. They are defeated and have accepted their ate. Then, a distraction happens and suddenly they are spurred on to fight (they had rockets nd ammo the whole time!) and defeat their captors easily. Why they didn't do this earlier to save Einstein-robo's life we'll never lknow.

But hey, the 3D was nice.

• Advertisement

- That new Linkin Park song is woeful and segwayed in inappropriately, ruining an otherwise decent sequence. (the lyrics describe what is going on on screen. It's cringe worthy)

that was awful alright, the lyrics basically went "stuff is blowing up, things look kinda bad, people running and dying, whos gonna save the day?!"

Advertisement