Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon [** SPOILERS FROM POST 823 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"Ooh that bit reminds me of the bit from The Island, also directed by Michael Bay"

"Er that IS the bit from the Island..."

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

iv read alot of people bitched about bay reusing scenes from his older film

hes not the first to do it.. and I personally dont see a problem with it

apparently its lazy filming?

i dont see how though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

iv read alot of people bitched about bay reusing scenes from his older film

hes not the first to do it.. and I personally dont see a problem with it

apparently its lazy filming?

i dont see how though

Because he is re-using scenes from his older film. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Heading to see this tonight,I know what to expect so there won't be a rant from me.
    Anyhow there has to be at least one big dumb blockbuster every Summer,I won't read too much into the plot and just enjoy the 'splosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

zerks im interested in what you thought of it when you get back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just back from this and feel compelled to post.

That film was worse than Revenge of the Fallen. Far worse. And Revenge Of The Fallen is one of the worst films of all time.

I dont even know where to begin.

For a start;
    WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON?

Secondly,
    WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON?

And Im not even getting into the whole, "WTF is Megatron's cape about?" points.

I enjoyed none of it. Not the action, not the.... Wait, was there every anything to enjoy??

Having watched 2 sequels I think i can give some credit for the first film. I felt some albeit limited empathy for the characters and robots. This time round, I didnt give a toss. About anyone!

It was boring, overlong, facetious, noisy, plastic and soul destroying.

PLease stop giving Michael Bay money.

If you are in 2 minds about this movie, do not go to see it. NO part of it is worth it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

faceman wrote: »
    "Ooh that bit reminds me of the bit from The Island, also directed by Michael Bay"

Just got read this in the comment section -
    The reason that this was done was because Gabriella Cedillo, an extra, was injured on set (while filming this exact scene). Bay needed the scene but they shut down filming in Indiana and Chicago after this happened, out of respect for Gabriella and her family...and they didn't use the footage from filming the scene (the special effects were so huge that it was a one-time deal).

Knowing that, I would say that it was a pretty smart way to put that scene together

Saw the movie on Friday. Can't really be arsed to follow up on Galva's excellent posts as they more or less echo my thoughts except to once again say it's a sad sight seeing kids absolutely love this crap (trilogy) and dislike the old G1 stuff.

I'm off to clutch my copy of TF Animated movie from 86, might give it a watch sometime this week to remind me of good times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

I agree with the above post by Faceman but...

I urge any of you the one must see scene is during the Giant Robot Apocalypse in Chicago
    there seems to be 2 maids still doing the dishes in the apartment Carly is being held captive in!!! AND the consciensious kidnappers brought Carly a change of clothes.
    Oh and "the only way in is Wingsuits!" That guy would be getting a riflebutt to the face. :D

There should be a Directors Cut with an hour of footage REMOVED.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks im interested in what you thought of it when you get back

An hour too long,so much stuff just stuck in for the sake of it such as Sams parents.
    I went expecting a couple of hours of no brain nonsense and wasn't disappointed.Michael Bay is a master of cheesy dialogue and blowing stuff up and that's the limit of his talents.
    It's an easy story to follow,Bay can't do deep drama,good guy's help out,bad guys arrive they fight.Humans run around and shout a lot.

One gripe about the cinema itself-the place was like a sauna,not nice while sitting through a 2 and half hour long movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

$372 million worldwide in less than a week:eek:, do i smell a second trilogy ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

don ramo wrote: »
    $372 million worldwide in less than a week:eek:, do i smell a second trilogy ;):D

A reboot would be better imho.

As for Dark of the Moon

Pro's...
    The action sequences and special effects are amazing.

Con's...
    It's way to long and the first half could lose at least an hour.

The story makes everything in the second movie pointless and while not as bad as RotF its still bad.

Way to many characters that had zero purpose but got way to much screen time anyway like Sam's parents, Malkovich's character, Blonde in charge of military.

Optimus being a total psycho and Megatron being a total wimp.

Zero character building for any of the transformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If only they released the first movie this year.... That would have been great with the 3D technology used in DOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

honestly I really only want to go see this now so I can come in and have big rant like galvasean and faceman.

but that would be going back on my word earlier in the thread...the satisfaction of being 100% right from the get go about it is strangely not as filling as it should be.

I want to see a bad movie so I can flame it. Too much time online me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

faceman wrote: »

I understand this argument about the stunt injury, but come on. It's not exactly the only instance in the film where footage is recycled and im not even talking about them establishing the backstory. Like that
    convoluted thing to attach a space shuttle to their ship so bay could use clearly, some archive footage of the shuttle launch, and CGI in some bits and bobs. Oh, and he went and evoked one of the worst disasters in the history of the program when he did it. At least he had the good sense not to use that stock footage...and then I kinda got annoyed at the Wreckers/NASCAR cars, clearly they built them (see my earlier in year post) and didnt build them again with weapons withdrawn, so anytime you see them in car form, they've got all their guns out and none of the other ones do.

Wonderful thing to see in 3D. You get to see that girls ass and thighs in glorious 3D. That probably shut my brain off for the last 3 hours. But good luck trying to make sense of the story, figure out a lot of the transitions, be left scratching your head as to how people got where and why that scene was necessary at all or why Bay has a sick habit of building into a 3 hour movie with a 1st hour of worthlessness and then he squeezes a "conclusion" into the last 2.5 minutes without really explaining anything.

Oh, and
    Bumblebee should have died. I almost thought Bay actually had it in him, but then - right then - I realized not only was he about to invoke the Cliche, but he was forcing me to live the cliche, because I wanted Bumblebee to die. But then there it goes, saved at the last moment for no good reason. In a way thhat may be the first time I've ever experienced such a tired cliche in the 3rd dimension, if you get my meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Seen this last night and this is what I have to say on it:

Michael Bay does action and when he does it he does it well. However for some reason he feels he needs to inject his own style of humour and what can only be described as "money shots" of women throughout.

If Bay only directed the action sequences and somebody else did the rest of the film they might be onto something.

Another poster mentioned the zero character development for the Transformers and I second this. In no way do you feel any attachment to them I didn't even catch one of the autobots names and he was pretty awesome looking
    The Ferrari guy

I just wish they'd done something better with this. The special effects and the hours poured into them by the studio deserve to be in a better movie than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    honestly I really only want to go see this now so I can come in and have big rant like galvasean and faceman.

but that would be going back on my word earlier in the thread...the satisfaction of being 100% right from the get go about it is strangely not as filling as it should be.

I want to see a bad movie so I can flame it. Too much time online me thinks.

Nowt wrong about making an informed critique, sure that's why I go to the Twilight films.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Awesome movie. Loved every second. It put me in a Tranformers mood yesterday so I busted out season one of the cartoon and War for Cybertron on the PS3. Loved it.

Be interesting to see where it goes from here. I'd expect another movie but the way that Bay
    killed off a huge number of key characters - especially key Decepticons (Megatron, Shockwave, Soundwave & Starscream)
    certainly made it look like he was washing his hands of the franchise. I'd favour a reboot from here but wouldn't expect that to be the way that the studio goes so if they carry on then maybe Unicron somehow next or
    resurrect Megatron as Galvatron

It was my first 3D movie. I was quite impressed with the technology. Bay shoots his films in such a way that he didn't really need to have amazing '3D' moments put in for the sake of them and other than a couple of FPS-type shots there was nothing that I think won't transfer to 2D ok. I will say though that if TF3 was the best use of the technology since Avatar then that doesn't say much for the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

veXual wrote:
    I didn't even catch one of the autobots names and he was pretty awesome looking
    The Ferrari 458 was Mirage

B00MSTICK wrote: »

Really? Ha... I thought it was
    Sideswipe

That's quite damning I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Really? Ha... I thought it was
    Sideswipe

That's quite damning I suppose.
    The Ferrari is actually referred to as 'Dino'. He was scripted as Mirage, but Ferrari asked them to name it after Ferrari's famous founder [Dino was his nickname]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Otacon wrote:
    The Ferrari is actually referred to as 'Dino'. He was scripted as Mirage, but Ferrari asked them to name it after Ferrari's famous founder [Dino was his nickname

Interesting! Admittedly I looked it up after watching it...

Sideswipe would be a Lambo if he was in it I reckon, think he was a Countach at some point in the cartoon? Although there was a Stunticon that was a Countach too, that was one of my favourite toys!

Was Hot Rod in any of the films yet? Haven't seen the 2nd one at all. Blur was cool in the cartoon too.

Hot Rod and Blurr haven't been in these. There's plenty more characters who could get written in in subsequent films (although they are rapidly running out of Decepticons...).

The G1 Countach was one of the Stunticons, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Oddly enough I was waiting in the foyer of Cinworld the other day and they were playing the DOTM trailer, that awesome music pumping out. there's me thinking, "That looks deadly! Hey waitaminute...."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well myself and about 5/6 mates are going to see this tomorrow. We're going to have some pre-disaster drinks (and presumably some post-disaster ones too), and none of us are heading in with any high ideas or theories as to the quality of this thing.

Sometimes you get more laughs out of a terrible movie than out of a quality one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭cython

Interesting! Admittedly I looked it up after watching it...

Sideswipe would be a Lambo if he was in it I reckon, think he was a Countach at some point in the cartoon? Although there was a Stunticon that was a Countach too, that was one of my favourite toys!

Was Hot Rod in any of the films yet? Haven't seen the 2nd one at all. Blur was cool in the cartoon too.

Sideswipe was in ROTF as a Corvette Concept car already. He was the one with the 2 blades that used one of them to cut a decepticon in vehicle mode in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Haven' seen ROTF, so, this was only my second Transformers film (because I followed some friends into it.) Possibly the nadir of Michael Bay films.
    He has not evolved as a director, he has devolved. When The Rock and Bad Boys are considered, it just makes me disappointed.

Also, explosions will forever be ruined for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

When The Rock and Bad Boys are considered, it just makes me disappointed.

Also, explosions will forever be ruined for me.

Bruckheimer certainly got the best out of Bay. Maybe he should go back to him for his next project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I loved the factual error which shows them
    Returning to the Moon 40 years and the Eagle Lunar Module still having it's Ascent Stage attached!!!!!

FACEPALM! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Otacon wrote: »
    Bruckheimer certainly got the best out of Bay. Maybe he should go back to him for his next project.

you mean Don Simpson who was involved in both bad boys and The Rock

Bruckheimer has to explain Armageddon, Pearl Harbour and The Island not to mention the craptastic bad boys 2

Advertisement