Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon [** SPOILERS FROM POST 823 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Galvasean wrote: »
    Didn't realise the St. Vincent de Paul took Cineworld Unlimited card as payment...
    In that case, I will donate €10 if you promise not to go.. and that goes for the rest of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

In that case, I will donate €10 if you promise not to go.. and that goes for the rest of ye.

If we get that in some sort of contract form I'm game.
    To make it fair i must donate to charity €10 for every time from here on in that I see DOTM in the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Didn't realise the St. Vincent de Paul took Cineworld Unlimited card as payment...

The Tree of Life is out on Friday for those Cineworld Unlimited card holders who are wondering what to watch.

If you can't wait until then there's some... well, there's some surely entertainingly awful Bollywood films on there. I guess.

A Separation is also ****ing fantastic and on in the IFI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Anyone know why Venezuela have banned Transformers 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

squod wrote: »
    Anyone know why Venezuela have banned Transformers 3?
    Seems to just be a rumour thus far - it's not on any news sites, just message boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Saw this tonight, fairly good show. Enjoyable

Wont be in a rush to see it again anytime soon though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw this tonight. Not much to say really since GAlva pretty much hit the nail on it's head a few pages back. I thought it was better than ROTF though. I wouldn't bother with the 3D either tbh, it was good but I think it would be easier to see whats going on without it. HAve to say though my biggest problem with this, and its the same problem the first 2 films had
    the Transformers, Autobots particularly, are practically not in the film for 90% of it, even the climactic battle at the end. Optimus shows up for two seconds then gets tangled up in cabling for like 20 minutes, then he pops up for five minutes,
    seriously if you're going to make a Transformers movie MAKE IT ABOUT THE FCUKING TRANSFORMERS.

Actually the thing i enjoyed most were the two blink and you miss references to spock!!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    the Transformers, Autobots particularly, are practically not in the film for 90% of it, even the climactic battle at the end. Optimus shows up for two seconds then gets tangled up in cabling for like 20 minutes, then he pops up for five minutes,

Forgot to mention that in my critique. The guys a friggin' juggernaught for crying out loud, "Oh no, construction cables!"

Only out a week and half a billion worldwide.
    EXPECT MORE.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only out a week and half a billion worldwide.
    EXPECT MORE.

If they change director then I am entirely OK with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If they change director then I am entirely OK with that.
    You paid to see Transformers 3, what did you expect? I bet there were a ton of people who apparently hated Transformers but yet plonked down the cash when the time came...In THREEEEEEEEEEEE-DEEEEEEEE! :p
    Sorry Darko, but I'm defecting. THAT WAS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Analysis at a later date when I've stopped foaming at the mouth.
    two pages later...
    Based on the amount of people saying it's better the second time when all niggling hope of it being good is gone.. I may be tempted to check it out again before it leaves the cinema.

LOL!

Anyway; saw this film in 2D (idiot friend assumed it was the post-production 3D) but thought the film was decent enough; minus the insufferable Shia LeBouf character. He spent the entire film being a jerk to everyone, being annoyed, complaining how unhappy he is in his current position. It's not an affable trait! I felt the previous TF films got the lame Sam family/storyline stuff out of the way in the first hour, this time it pervaded most of the film. I also felt the moon storyline was a great idea, I love this kind of 'alternative history' story but it didn't really go beyond what they showed in the trailer.

Bad stuff aside, there's plenty of bayhem and baysplosions and transformers and that generally makes up for it and some of the comedy isn't bad. Lots of Autobots and Decepticons beating up each other. I'm told the 3D is brilliant so at some point there'll be a round 2.

I wonder if a fanedit taking out an hour of this film would be made...It'd make for a much, much better experience. Shia LeBouf's storyline was completely unnecessary and should've been left on the cutting room floor. Who cares what job he has? Absolute filler.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You paid to see Transformers 3, what did you expect? I bet there were a ton of people who apparently hated Transformers but yet plonked down the cash when the time came...In THREEEEEEEEEEEE-DEEEEEEEE! :p

I expected exactly what I saw, some of the best action I've ever seen committed to celluloid wrapped up in a pretty poor film overall! Wouldn't say I hated it though. I actually liked the first film quite a bit, so thats why I keep coming back. I 've had enough of Michael Bay's Transformers though, I'd like to see someone else's take on it now, someone who could actually be bothered to make the title characcters the central focus of the film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Transformers 4 is on each and everyone of your backs. You only have yourselves to blame.

Yes, the weather is nice up here on my high horse, thanks for asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

Transformers 4 is on each and everyone of your backs. You only have yourselves to blame.

i'll join your high horse. walked out of the first movie and going my reviews of the others i made a good choice. my favourite childhood show ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

with good company too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

So, my memory of Transformers is.. hot chick, explosions, some more hot chick, explosions, Shia acting like a prat, nothing makes sense, more hot chick, yet more explosions, more Shiaprat, lots more nothing makes sense, big explosion, end.

I think.

LNH666 wrote: »
    my favourite childhood show ruined.

Did Bay and Spielberg come around to your house and set fire to your 80s 'toon DVDs? Because I still have mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Transformers 4 is on each and everyone of your backs.

Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

So let's focus on those who seriously believe Transformers is one of the year's best films. Are these people wrong? Yes. They are wrong. There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. We should respect differing opinions up to certain point, and then it's time for the wise to blow the whistle. Those who think Transformers is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved.
    - Ebert

Genius! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I can't get my head around how a film can be made about giant robots fighting with each other, transforming into stuff and wrecking everything, and that it can be boring. I was so bored that I couldn't keep still.

The 3d was pretty impressive in parts. The shot of Apollo 1 orbiting the moon literally made me gasp. Everything that followed was awful.

I figured what was wrong with all of the Bayformers movies. The focus being on humans is all wrong. What needed to happen was a war on cybertron focusing entirely on the Transformers we knew from the cartoons, followed by a journey to Earth for some reason with more battles between the Transformers. The humans should be insignificant ants who are powerless. No crack teams of special ops soldiers.

The cartoon got a lot of stuff right. There was a reason why a cartoon, which was essentially a 30 minute advert for Hasbro toys, captured the imagination of kids. There are tons of 80's cartoons that are way less memorable. Transformers are cool. The idea of Spike Witwicky being friends with them, aiding them and in return having a sweet transforming suit is cool. I'd love that suit. The Transformers personalities were cool. They looked cool. The sound of them transforming was cool.

None of that made it into the films. Worse still, how are we supposed to identify with a human lead who is a complete douchebag. He's really an asshole. I even like Shia Le Beof in previous roles, but it's like he played the role of Sam in order to make him the least likeable lead of all time.

I dunno. From reading this thread my expectations were low. They were non existent before reading the thread, but they were still extremely low after. They weren't even met. I can't believe just how bored I was. It was tedious. I think the worst thing anything can be is boring.

• Advertisement

pinksoir wrote: »
    I can't get my head around how a film can be made about giant robots fighting with each other, transforming into stuff and wrecking everything, and that it can be boring. I was so bored that I couldn't keep still.

Pretty much because there's not nearly enough of that stuff in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pinksoir wrote: »

The 3d was pretty impressive in parts. The shot of Apollo 1 orbiting the moon literally made me gasp. Everything that followed was awful.

I figured what was wrong with all of the Bayformers movies. The focus being on humans is all wrong. What needed to happen was a war on cybertron focusing entirely on the Transformers we knew from the cartoons, followed by a journey to Earth for some reason with more battles between the Transformers. The humans should be insignificant ants who are powerless. No crack teams of special ops soldiers.

The cartoon got a lot of stuff right. There was a reason why a cartoon, which was essentially a 30 minute advert for Hasbro toys, captured the imagination of kids. There are tons of 80's cartoons that are way less memorable. Transformers are cool. The idea of Spike Witwicky being friends with them, aiding them and in return having a sweet transforming suit is cool. I'd love that suit. The Transformers personalities were cool. They looked cool. The sound of them transforming was cool.

None of that made it into the films. Worse still, how are we supposed to identify with a human lead who is a complete douchebag. He's really an asshole. I even like Shia Le Beof in previous roles, but it's like he played the role of Sam in order to make him the least likeable lead of all time.

I dunno. From reading this thread my expectations were low. They were non existent before reading the thread, but they were still extremely low after. They weren't even met. I can't believe just how bored I was. It was tedious. I think the worst thing anything can be is boring.

I'd agree with all of that, the movie is called Transformers, yet they're given NO characterisation thoughout the trilogy, you actually wind up siding with the Decepticons as they're doing their best to wipe the asshole human characters out. Why bother with giving the main characters ie the big robots some character when you can have random shots of a chiuhaha being buggered by a bigger dog or a midget robot humping Megan Fox's leg?

krudler wrote: »
    I'd agree with all of that, the movie is called Transformers, yet they're given NO characterisation thoughout the trilogy, you actually wind up siding with the Decepticons

Oddly, despite having only two lines in the first film Starscream ends up being one of the most fleshed out (robot) characters in the trilogy
    and look how they repay him!!!!!!

That said, I thought teh way they focused more on the human element in the first movie was fair enough. Since most people wouldn't know too much about Transformers in general it seemed the logical way to go, using humans as a way to help gradually introduce the audience to the idea of robots with their own personalities. Then we could give the robots more screen time and character developement in the sequels... which didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oddly, despite having only two lines in the first film Starscream ends up being one of the most fleshed out (robot) characters in the trilogy
    and look how they repay him!!!!!!

That said, I thought teh way they focused more on the human element in the first movie was fair enough. Since most people wouldn't know too much about Transformers in general it seemed the logical way to go, using humans as a way to help gradually introduce the audience to the idea of robots with their own personalities. Then we could give the robots more screen time and character developement in the sequels... which didn't happen.

I like the first movie, I genuinely do, by the point we see the rest of the Autobots arriving to earth and taking their earth vehicle forms I remember thinking "this is far better than I ever thought it would be". Sam was somewhat likeable in places in the first one as well, hes just a typical teenager, by the third hes an arrogant cock. "I saved the world" err, did you? cos it was the army and Autobots doing most of the fighting.

Did Bay and Spielberg come around to your house and set fire to your 80s 'toon DVDs? Because I still have mine...

not at all, it was VHS back then not DVD.

i have the boxset already - but not the deluxe edition.... maybe i should treat myself :)

One shall stand, one shall fall.....

NEVER!!!!

It would be amazing if there was an alternative giant robot franchise that had wacky humour, hyper sexualised characters and epic action scenes. It would be great if that franchise also happened to be chock full of mythical / religious imagery & symbolism, subtext and intelligent storytelling, while the feature films were also extremely respectful to the television series that came before it. One could say such a thing could teach Michael Bay a lesson.

If only such a thing existed, and was readily available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

• Advertisement

It would be amazing if there was an alternative giant robot franchise that had wacky humour, hyper sexualised characters and epic action scenes. It would be great if that franchise also happened to be chock full of mythical / religious imagery & symbolism, subtext and intelligent storytelling, while the feature films were also extremely respectful to the television series that came before it. One could say such a thing could teach Michael Bay a lesson.

If only such a thing existed, and was readily available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Are you talking about Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Advertisement