Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon [** SPOILERS FROM POST 823 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Topless Robot's Transformers 3 FAQ

Quite funny and will save 2 1/2 hours in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It is funny, but, as with the one they did for TF2, some of it is actually pretty easily explainable in the context of the story and some bits were literally explained and have just been ignored/mis-remembered by the writer. Such as him saying that the humans ignored the Ark after the Apollo 11 mission, which isn't what was said in the film.

Of course the bulk of them are just major plot ****-ups.

EDIT - in fact the further down the list you go the more things you see which are EXPLICITLY STATED IN THE MOVIE (such as why the Space Bridge would bring about the end of the war). If you're going to go on a rant about Michael Bay dangling his keys in front of the audience as if they are morons who can't pay attention to film plots then you should probably try to pay attention to the film plot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

this was pretty poor and drawn out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Well, before we get into the plot, can you sum up your feelings on the film for people who don't want to be spoiled?

Yes I can. I've seen a lot of reviews that compare the movie to Michael Bay dangling his keys in front of the audience's face, as if they were babies that were easily distracted by shiny objects, but that's not strictly accurate. Imagine Michael Bay staring at you and pulling out his keys once every 10 minutes for 10 to 15 seconds. After an hour and a half, he pulls out his keys and leaves them out for an entire hour. Also, the keys are now exploding.

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He has the end wrong,
    optimus kills megatron before Sentinel
    but other than that spot on.

re space bridge not much ****ing use when your getting your arse kicked in a war and have no men left to send supplies too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

couldn't it send things places? instant bombs everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

couldn't it send things places? instant bombs everywhere?

Wouldn't there need to be pillars at the destination first, in order to make a space bridge (
    there had to be pillars on the moon and in Washington to make a bridge to bring the troops hiding on the moon
    )?

Other questions:
    Why did
    Cybertron blow up at the end when the space bridge was cut by the command pillar being destroyed but not five minutes before when the space bridge was cut by the command pillar was knocked off the building and deactivated
    ?

Where did all the bad guys
    on the moon come from (I heard they were sentinels men, but his ship wasn't big enough to hold that many men and other ships)
    ?

How could sentinel
    have made a pact with megatron if megatron went missing over 60 years before sentinel went out to meet him (first film said megatron in arctic since at least 1890s, Sentinel crashed on moon in 1960s)
    ?

Why did the decepticons need
    McDreamy when they had decepticons that could look like people (remember the deceptislut in the second film)
    ?

Are spoilers still necessary?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Honestly from someone that liked ROTF this was an incomprehensible mess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Wouldn't there need to be pillars at the destination first, in order to make a space bridge (
    there had to be pillars on the moon and in Washington to make a bridge to bring the troops hiding on the moon
    )?

Other questions:
    Why did
    Cybertron blow up at the end when the space bridge was cut by the command pillar being destroyed but not five minutes before when the space bridge was cut by the command pillar was knocked off the building and deactivated
    ?

on the moon come from (I heard they were sentinels men, but his ship wasn't big enough to hold that many men and other ships)
    ?

How could sentinel
    have made a pact with megatron if megatron went missing over 60 years before sentinel went out to meet him (first film said megatron in arctic since at least 1890s, Sentinel crashed on moon in 1960s)
    ?

McDreamy when they had decepticons that could look like people (remember the deceptislut in the second film)
    ?

dude.

your thinking in a micheal bay film.

stop it.

stop it now.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Other questions:
    Why did
    ?

?

How could sentinel
    ?

?

In all honesty if your going to diss Bay at least do it properly.
    Why did
    ?
    If you noticed the first time the pillar was merely deactivated. The second time it was blown to pieces and in comic book physics that means there's gonna be a power surge and everything connected to the grid goes boom.:)
    ?
    Decepticon search party, if you like. found the ship.
    How could sentinel
    ?
    The pact was made during the Cybertron War. Thousands of years before Megatron crashed on Earth in search of the all Spark.
    ?
    Energon detectors were placed in tonnes of locations around the planet it would have really difficult for them to carry out their dirty work without human help.:)

But you are seriously overthinking this movie.
    Shouldn't Cybetron appearing out of thin space like that have caused a huge tidal rift on Earth?
    See, it's not worth thinking about these movies that way.:D

I actually enjoyed this film for what I expected it to be and I was impressed with Bay's use of 3-D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Malty_T wrote: »
    Shouldn't Cybetron appearing out of thin space like that have caused a huge tidal rift on Earth?
    See, it's not worth thinking about these movies that way.:D

That actually happened in The Ultimate Doom (episode from the 80s cartoon that they got the idea from).

actually the cartoon is much better written :/
    Check out the moral dilemma at 5: 40

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've added a spoiler warning to the thread title. So you can spoil away from this post onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Galvasean wrote: »
    That actually happened in The Ultimate Doom (episode from the 80s cartoon that they got the idea from).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lp1RidtiOs

actually the cartoon is much better written :/
    Check out the moral dilemma at 5: 40

That's pretty cool. Just like that time you fecking posting Darwin in the X-men you've now got me watching the entire series.:mad:
    or
    :D

or
    :confused:

Em,
    *Sneaks off to hide in a corner and watch kid cartoons*

FWIW, the original Transformers is one of the most inconsistent shows ever. The best episodes are borderline masterpieces, but the worst are mind numbingly bad. There's a hellofa lot in between too.
    IMO X-Men was the best kids action show of all time. Never saw an episode I didn't like.

and I saw ALL of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

FWIW, the original Transformers is one of the most inconsistent shows ever. The best episodes are borderline masterpieces, but the worst are mind numbingly bad. There's a hellofa lot in between too.
    IMO X-Men was the best kids action show of all time. Never saw an episode I didn't like.

and I saw ALL of them.

Woah now, what about Batman the Animated Series , actually Batman Beyond wasn't bad either. :P I watch far too many cartoons for my age. :D

If you noticed the first time the pillar was merely deactivated. The second time it was blown to pieces and in comic book physics that means there's gonna be a power surge and everything connected to the grid goes boom.:)

Ah yes, comic book physics :pac:
    Decepticon search party, if you like. found the ship.

In the 70s? Wouldn't they have been useful during the first or second film?
    Energon detectors were placed in tonnes of locations around the planet it would have really difficult for them to carry out their dirty work without human help.:)

Those detectors where only there since after the second film. The decepticons where interfering with humans going to the moon since the early seventies.

Any thinking in this movie is over thinking :). But dont get me wrong, I'm not actually expecting answers to these.
    I actually enjoyed this film for what I expected it to be and I was impressed with Bay's use of 3-D.

I hated it, but it took me a day or two to actually figure out why. I was just so bored by it, by the whole thing. Even the last action scene, all 60 minutes of it, was boring. None of it made sense: the soldiers trying to suit-glide into the city (even though they knew their planes would be shot down); transformers flying their own fighter planes (why does a robot that can change into any vehicle it wants need a fighter plane?); Sam taking down Starscream :rolleyes:; Optimus getting stuck in cables for 20 f'ing minutes... I cant understand people saying "at least Bay can do a good action scene" when in a film where he could have changed the transformers designs whenever he wanted, he continuously uses a design that makes it so hard for most people to see what is actually going on, and then puts most of the fighting off screen anyway.
    And the 3d? well its not Bays fault, but 3d in general is just **** to me, I cant see it anymore. The last films I saw in 3d (Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Transformers, Harry Potter) all looked flat to me, I dont see the depth, and usually scenes are ruined for me by everything but the thing the director wants to stick out being incredibly blurred (I tend to look at everything in a scene, not just the object front and centre). I realise that I should stick to 2d films, but most cinemas have fewer 2d than 3d showings, and rarely, if ever, put them in their big screens.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Woah now, what about Batman the Animated Series , actually Batman Beyond wasn't bad either. :P I watch far too many cartoons for my age. :D

The entire Timmverse (start with Batman: The Animated Series, Then Superman, Then Justice League, And finally Batman Beyond) , taken as one big continuity, is the best animated show ever. Every character is perfectly done (it made interesting, deep characters out of the likes of Mr Freeze, Wonder Woman and Booster Gold*), the voice acting is amazing: Mark Hamills Joker, Kevin Conroys Batman (the only man to get Batman/Bruce Waynes voice right), Michael Ironsides Darkseid, Clancy Browns Lex Luther, Corey Burtons Brainiac and the action scenes are the best.
    Thats not to say that X-men wasn't great, but it had no batman, so it doesn't stand a chance :pac:.

* Hell, Batman : TAS, alone made kick ass characters out of The Clock King (gave him menace), The Mad Hatter (Made one of the best attempts to actually get rid of batman), The Riddler (made him actually seem like an intelligent character), Two Face (gave him Pathos before TDK), Mr Freeze (even just his voice is awesome), the various Robins (made them not ridiculous) and Roxy Rocket ( just watch the end of the episode she was in where she gets her rocks off trying to crash a rocket into a wall)

Corkfeen wrote: »

Batman TAS is awesome (also Beyond was very cool too), but I think X-Men was better at exploring themes.
    The entire Timmverse (start with Batman: The Animated Series, Then Superman, Then Justice League, And finally Batman Beyond) , taken as one big continuity, is the best animated show ever.

Didn't realise the Justice League was also in the same continuity. I liked that show, but feel it lost the run of itself as the series progressed.

* Hell, Batman : TAS, alone made kick ass characters out of The Clock King (gave him menace), The Mad Hatter (Made one of the best attempts to actually get rid of batman),

That dream episode was pretty deadly. My only gripe is,
    Couldn't the Mad Hatter have revealed Batman's identity at any given moment or does he just not roll that way?

Didn't realise the Justice League was also in the same continuity. I liked that show, but feel it lost the run of itself as the series progressed.

It dips a good bit around the middle, when it starts to bring in all the other League characters (except for Aquaman, who in the first episode he's in
    nearly declares war on the surface world, cuts off his own arm to save his baby son and replaces it with a grappling fish spear hook- Aquaman was nearly as bad ass as batman in Justice Leaugue
    ), but about 5 or ten episodes later it gets it back together and gets back to the very long subtle story arcs (some going back to Supemran TAS.)
    That dream episode was pretty deadly. My only gripe is,
    Couldn't the Mad Hatter have revealed Batman's identity at any given moment or does he just not roll that way?

Yeah, struck me as well, could never figure out why.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Brought my 7 year old to this today and even he was bored.
    By the time it got to the final scene I was thinkin ok 20 mins or so of this drivel left,but no-it just went on and on.and on.and on.
    F... me John Malkovich must be really stuck for money these days

• Advertisement

)?

Other questions:
    Why did
    ?

?

How could sentinel
    ?

?

I'm not sure that there had to be pillars at the destination? Perhaps it was that there had to be a network of pillars in an area for the system to be set up correctly and the moon happens to be very close to earth. I dn't think there would have been pillars at cybertron etc.

what i want to know is why can some transformers simplly fly in space like starscream and some cant?!

I am not sure the planet blew up or was there an energy surge and what actually happened is the process stopped and cybertron is not at it's original location?

I'm not sure that there had to be pillars at the destination? Perhaps it was that there had to be a network of pillars in an area for the system to be set up correctly and the moon happens to be very close to earth. I dn't think there would have been pillars at cybertron etc.

I think that when Sentinel activate the handful of pillars in Washington, more activated on the moon in order connect the bridge to bring down the decepticon reinforcements, hence I'm assuming there always needs to be pillars at starting point and destination of the space bridge (although, maybe I'm wrong about the scene, i was pretty bored at that stage).
    what i want to know is why can some transformers simplly fly in space like starscream and some cant?!

Maybe thats what transformers have instead of girls and boys, driving transformers and flying transformers :D?
    I am not sure the planet blew up or was there an energy surge and what actually happened is the process stopped and cybertron is not at it's original location?

I'm pretty sure it blew up. I mean, its a Michael Bay film, I'm pretty sure there was a strong implication that Megan Fox blew up when she broke up with LeBeouf off screen before the film started :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just back from this, maybe I had lower expectations from reading opinions on here but, I thought it was very enjoyable.

Question thought what was the point of Megatron wearing the hood? Was it simply to distinguish himself from the rest of the grey Decepticons? And the less thought about
    how the Autobots managed to get themselves captured the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Maybe thats what transformers have instead of girls and boys, driving transformers and flying transformers ?

Transformers animated (you know the really good new transformers series everybody automatically hated) had a cool running plot point in that all the autobots where cars/trucks etc and all the decepticons were flying up until they started introducing the morally grey characters (like lockdown and black arachnia) in fact only 2 autobots are ever shown to transform into jets and its noted as very unusual.

I kind of liked that idea to a point made it more definite that there is something more definite and hardwired to being an autobot/decepticon beyond simply choosing good or evil and still having characters who still choose the opposite to their hardwire makes them even more compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gmcg

Wasnt Happy with it at all delt like there was way to much chit chat on it.
    Loved the added special effects where as every time they got hit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRf01Gjosk
    Dang Cant find a one clip of a fight:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Same as the first one and second one. All three films have the exact same plot, sub plots and dialogues are almost identical. Relationships between all the main characters is the same as it ever was.
    It's definitely a fanboy film.

Why keep Sam in the film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

IMO each transformers movie gets worse with every instalment. The original was a good popcorn movie with some humour and it didn't take itself too seriously. ROTF dispensed with the humour and became more "emotional" - oh no, Sam dies but is brought back to life;)

DOTM was utterly overblown and had an even worse storyline than ROTF. It was so drawn out and boring that even my transformer mad son kept asking me when was it going to be over, while his sister fell asleep midway through it:).

If transformers is to survive as a franchise, it needs to move away from Sam witwickey and find a whole new storyline. It also doesn't need to be a showcase for the US military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 conan_

I saw this film only for Megan Fox : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

IMO each transformers movie gets worse with every instalment. The original was a good popcorn movie with some humour and it didn't take itself too seriously. ROTF dispensed with the humour and became more "emotional" - oh no, Sam dies but is brought back to life;)

DOTM was utterly overblown and had an even worse storyline than ROTF. It was so drawn out and boring that even my transformer mad son kept asking me when was it going to be over, while his sister fell asleep midway through it:).

If transformers is to survive as a franchise, it needs to have megan fox on screen the entire time jumping up and down

fixed your post.

on a serious note, im about to watch this, but i feel i shall regret it after reading your posts :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok, i watched it.

and i quite enjoyed it.. not sure why there are so many negative comments around.

Advertisement