Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want honest feedback on new sports website?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

hey everyone,

I am not a web designer myself but have spent a lot of time with the designer going through the site and getting everything the way we wanted it. The most important factor, due to the business being aimed at all age groups as we have a play centre, was that the site was easy to use and fun while also getting the information across. I keep this site updated myself through CMS but wanted to get all your 'professional' opinions on the design, layout and usability of the site. Go easy on me:rolleyes:

All your feedback would be greatly appreciated, however harsh it maybe!

http://www.sportsvillagecork.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Haven't gone through it , but the white writing down the left hand side here http://www.sportsvillagecork.com/default.aspx is impossible to read as you go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Sposs wrote: »
    Haven't gone through it , but the white writing down the left hand side here http://www.sportsvillagecork.com/default.aspx is impossible to read as you go down.

+1..

The layout and general design is pretty good.

I'm not really a fan of the green background. It makes the site too green!

If you don't mind me asking, whats the cost of a design like this? I'm talking just the xhtml/css/graphics. No cms or anything.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Text is too small.

Also, one big usability issue is the way you switch between the 'two sites' - that should be broken out on it's own really, and not in the main nav bar.

Overall the site is a little niggly. Could do with stripping out some of the small details that aren't adding anything, particularly in the left nav bar which is confusing and visually quite busy.

Overall it's ok, but I feel the navigation and design could be better. The left nav bar is a little inappropriate for it's position. Why is that not just a section on it's own. Either way, it should be on the right hand-side to lower it's promenance and not get confused with the primary navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

The price for the whole website was €1500 but it came with the CMS as part of the package so sorry cant give you a price without. I totally understand what you are saying about the white being difficult to see-- any colour suggestions for this? maybe should we change the headings to red with black text below? keeping the green was important to us on a few different levels-- firstly our logo is based on this colour so we see this as big part of the business and also to some extent identifies us with Ireland. the Little Rebel is part of the site is red ie.Munster and both colours are 'fun'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I haven't seen a splash page in years! I'd definitely reconsider that, it's the most valuable real estate on your site and you're only using it to display two images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

clusk007 wrote: »
    The price for the whole website was €1500 but it came with the CMS as part of the package so sorry cant give you a price without. I totally understand what you are saying about the white being difficult to see-- any colour suggestions for this? maybe should we change the headings to red with black text below? keeping the green was important to us on a few different levels-- firstly our logo is based on this colour so we see this as big part of the business and also to some extent identifies us with Ireland. the Little Rebel is part of the site is red ie.Munster and both colours are 'fun'.

I agree with the previous posters. The site is way too GREEN. I know you want to keep the Irishness factor but this is taking it to another level. Suggestion - Do not change the headings to red! The would look horrible. I really think you should consider changing the background color of the website. Perhaps have a look at the AIB website (www.aib.ie). It's very pleasing on the eye, unlike your GREEN background. You could have a similar background and still keep the green inside the main container. Otherwise it's a nice website. Writing on the left must go though as well! Sorry if I'm being a bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'd agree with everything posted so far.

Left hand side should be site navigation as per 'net standards these days.

News should be a section on its own, showing the latest topic or two if you must.

Way way way too green! It makes it very hard on the eyes.

The 'home' 'tennis' etc nav bar should be down the left hand side, it sort of seems unimportant where it is, and far too transparent - these should be the biggest headings on the page, as they are the main links to the services and facilities being provided.

If anything, you could have the news items rotate there, if anything there at all.

The middle section of the page (main area) needs a total overhaul. You've basically just duplicated the links you already have on the page, and leaves it looking a bit cluttered.

Maybe the main space there should be a short blurb about 'The Sports Village' with a nice image.

It could take up the whole middle space, but have fairly little content. Would simplify that part of the page, reduce the clutter, and give it a 'classier' feel

Your navigation can then be all along the left hand side linking or rolling the main/middle section of the page over to that area of the site.

Hope I'm not being too critical here - I'm not trying to put the site down, just giving my opinion and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

thanks for all the feedback everyone. I have thick skin so don't worry about being too harsh, you have to be cruel to be kind:rolleyes:
    I honestly want the website to be the best it can be so the points above will all help.
    As I said in the original post I am not a web designer but I am responsible for keeping the site updated with information. Some of the suggested changes are going to cost me so I'm wondering do I always have to stick with the original designer for these changes or can any web designer do this?
    Another idea we had which your expertise would be great on is a ticker for our news, like you see on sky News rolling at the bottom. Opinions on this?
    Splash page -- what should we do with this?
    Thanks again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Any web designer should be able to pick this up for you, but you'd want to make sure they have access to all the files.

Splash page - I'd get rid to be honest, unless you want to just put a short animation in relating to the facilities. But treat the 2 sites as separate, the splash page adds nothing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

clusk007 wrote: »
    Splash page -- what should we do with this?
    Decide which of the two sites are most important and have that as the default homepage and then have a big button throughout that site linking it to the less important site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement