Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Leaving Cert Easter Revision Courses?

• 23-03-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

hey,i know theres a grinds thread already up but theres well over 600 posts in that and instead of searching through all that i thought id make a thread..

im wonderin,is there any FREE easter revision courses going on in any colleges for any courses? because i dont have the money to pay for these expensive revision courses...

any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Wouldn't mind one myself, but I've never heard of any.
    But hey, at least libraries are free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

itsgrand wrote: »
    hey,i know theres a grinds thread already up but theres well over 600 posts in that and instead of searching through all that i thought id make a thread..

im wonderin,is there any FREE easter revision courses going on in any colleges for any courses? because i dont have the money to pay for these expensive revision courses...

any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks!

The phrase "there's no such thing as a free lunch" springs to mind, so I wouldn't hold you breath waiting for one.
    They cost money for a reason: someone else has shortened the course for you and will "teach" (I use the term loosely) to you over a very short, intense period of time.

Anyway, why not do your own Easter revision? Get together with a group of friends to swap notes, ideas, study tips, etc. You really can learn a lot from discussing things in a group and testing each others' knowledge. Plus, it's highly likely that you'll know one section of the course better than another person and vice-versa, so you can help each other out.

Other than that, as another poster says, the library is free is you need somewhere quiet to study. Just get your head down and you'll get a heck of a lot of work done in a fortnight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

For obvious reasons, as noted, most things cost ...

You do get the odd exception though, e.g. here.

And I've heard of other local projects run on a not-for-profit basis, either offered free or at a low cost ... e.g. the Cork Maths Teachers Association offer some stuff if you're in that area.

You probably need to ask around locally / through your school as well as here for most hope of hearing what might be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Check the universities. They do free stuff sometimes. There were free maths and English day long things in DCU earlier this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭furbey

Ya but every other college charges as far as i know.
    Anyway they are honestly a waste of time the only useful tips they give are on handy layout advice to keep the examiner happy but in fairness if you don't know the stuff well that won't make a difference anyway.

I know the handout notes look great but ye already have a load of resources in books and class notes
    All u gotta do is practice the exam papers and teaching yourself the stuff you don't know guarantees you won't forget it.
    Some teacher sponging money off you in a revision course tells you crap it doesn't mean you actually know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

NCI are doing some afaik. Not sure when.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

National College of Ireland are running a HL English and a OL Maths revidion day over the first week of the Easter Holdidays. I know the English one is on on Wednesday at 2-5. I don't know when the OL Maths (I'm doing higher).
    For these courses you need to confirm your place on www.ncirl.ie

There is also a course on in Carlow IT for Maths and English (Both HL and OL). Im not too sure of dates but I know that the English HL is on 10 - 3.30 on Tuesday 30th and and Maths HL is on 10 - 3.30 on Thursday 1st.
    To qualify for these revision courses you have to have at least one Carlow IT course on your CAO form.

Hope these help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

dannym08 wrote: »
    National College of Ireland are running a HL English and a OL Maths revidion day over the first week of the Easter Holdidays. I know the English one is on on Wednesday at 2-5. I don't know when the OL Maths (I'm doing higher).
    For these courses you need to confirm your place on www.ncirl.ie

Hope these help.

I can only find the revision ones from like last October? Anyone have a link to easter ones?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CarrigMac

Hey - I heard from a friend of my mam's that griffith college (in Cork) are doing free maths revision for leaving certs. I wanted to try it cos it was free but it's only for pass maths so the topics don't relate to me. I found the full details here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cupcake1

Does anyone know if colleges are running free courses this year

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Think NCI are doing it again. If anybody knows of more post them up!

Advertisement